Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Celeb Talk/Gossip
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2014, 06:56 PM
An Open Letter from Dylan Farrow talking about Woody Allen

An Open Letter From Dylan Farrow talking about what happened to her with Woody Allen. Disturbing to say the least, but he was never prosecuted so he has the presumption of innocence.

http://kristof.blogs.nytimes.com/201...pe=blogs&_r=1&
Old 02-02-2014, 11:45 AM
Very disturbing indeed. But I'm not surprised, because after all, Allen did marry a girl he helped raise since she was 10 years old.

It's also disturbing to me that the media, and people in general, were far more outraged over Mel Gibson drunkenly saying something antisemitic, or Tom Cruise jumping on a couch spouting off about Scientology.

I've been reading so many defenses for Allen that it is sickening. I guess in today's times, its far worse to be ignorantly non-pc than it is to be a pedophile.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:00 PM
holy shit
Old 02-02-2014, 01:11 PM
This has been public knowledge for a very long time. The fact that people are only outraged now that Blue Jasmine is on the verge of winning an Oscar is really sad. I'm not saying that people shouldn't be critical of Allen's personal life, but picking and choosing when and when not to be outraged is pathetic. It just reeks of smear campaign bullshit.

Last edited by Bourne101; 02-02-2014 at 01:14 PM..
Old 02-02-2014, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
This has been public knowledge for a very long time. The fact that people are only outraged now that Blue Jasmine is on the verge of winning an Oscar is really sad. I'm not saying that people shouldn't be critical of Allen's personal life, but picking and choosing when and when not to be outraged is pathetic. It just reeks of smear campaign bullshit.
what it reeks of to me is people are upset and pedophile and child molester just won a life time achievement award and is being celebrated even more by hypocritical Hollywood. And this is his Dylan Farrow writing the letter not some Hollywood rival, and her letter hasn't been public knowledge for a long time in fact, it was just released yesterday.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:04 PM
Honestly this is news to me. I guess I've been ignorant to Woody's life up until now.

And i agree with Bob Lablaw that this is sickening and hypocritical of Hollywood.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderStorm View Post
what it reeks of to me is people are upset and pedophile and child molester just won a life time achievement award and is being celebrated even more by hypocritical Hollywood. And this is his Dylan Farrow writing the letter not some Hollywood rival, and her letter hasn't been public knowledge for a long time in fact, it was just released yesterday.

Elia Kazan was nearly refused a lifetime achievement award at the Oscars because he testified at the House Committee of UnAmerican Hearings over 50 years before. It took over 50 years before Hollywood decided "enough time had passed". His amazing body of work didn't matter. During the Oscar ceremony, many self-righteous actors and industry giants even refused to applaud for him when he took the stage to receive his award.

However, Roman Polanski and Woody Allen are still revered and worshiped. The entertainment industry turns a blind eye to their transgressions. Hollywood is elitism hypocrisy at its worst.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derkesthai View Post
However, Roman Polanski and Woody Allen are still revered and worshiped. The entertainment industry turns a blind eye to their transgressions. Hollywood is elitism hypocrisy at its worst.
Kindof like how Mia Farrow supported Polanski during the extradition thing?

It seems everyone's opinion is already made, but this is definitely worth a read and worth considering: http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...t-so-fast.html
Old 02-02-2014, 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiert Spionam View Post
Kindof like how Mia Farrow supported Polanski during the extradition thing?

It seems everyone's opinion is already made, but this is definitely worth a read and worth considering: http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...t-so-fast.html
Lol, reads like the 9/11 conspiracy. Sorry, but anyone who would marry a girl he helped raise since she was 10 years old obviously has a thing for little girls.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:38 PM
Fair point to those saying that Hollywood is wrong and hypocritical to celebrate Woody Allen getting a lifetime achievement award at the Golden Globes, but I think those saying that it's sick that Blue Jasmine is about to win an Oscar are taking it too far. I mean, Woody Allen's not gonna be winning an Oscar. Cate Blanchett is. Fine, it's for a movie Allen wrote and directed, but why punish her for what Allen did? I don't see any reason why anyone should be upset about Blanchett winning.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:15 PM
Quote:
And this is his Dylan Farrow writing the letter not some Hollywood rival, and her letter hasn't been public knowledge for a long time in fact, it was just released yesterday.
The letter was written recently, but this ordeal has been public knowledge for many years. Mia Farrow chronicled this in her book many years ago. And I never said that a Hollywood rival wrote the letter. I was saying that the letter is now being used as fuel by bloggers, campaigners, etc. to dictate an Oscar race. Had a letter not been written, these people wouldn't be critical of Allen, even though most of them were already aware of what he had done.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
The letter was written recently, but this ordeal has been public knowledge for many years. Mia Farrow chronicled this in her book many years ago. And I never said that a Hollywood rival wrote the letter. I was saying that the letter is now being used as fuel by bloggers, campaigners, etc. to dictate an Oscar race. Had a letter not been written, these people wouldn't be critical of Allen, even though most of them were already aware of what he had done.
Or maybe Dylan Farrow just got fed up with seeing the world constantly praising the monster that destroyed her life. To see such a horrible person receive a lifetime achievement award.

I bet this is how Superman feels about Lex Luthor. Oh shit, million dollar idea here, Woody Allen should have been cast as Lex Luthor!
Old 02-03-2014, 01:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
a girl he helped raise since she was 10 years old
You've written that twice, now. It's not true. It's covered in the article Smiert linked.

Quote:
According to court documents and Mia’s own memoir, until 1990 (when Soon-Yi was 18 or 20), Woody “had little to do with any of the Previn children, (but) had the least to do with Soon-Yi” so Mia encouraged him to spend more time with her. Woody started taking her to basketball games, and the rest is tabloid history. So he hardly “had his eye on her” from the time she was a child.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:42 AM
These are accusations, not facts. Woody Allen could've molested Dylan Farrow. He might not have. But I don't think any of us have enough facts to crucify Allen.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:33 AM

Last edited by SS-Block; 03-31-2014 at 02:34 PM..
Old 02-03-2014, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Turgidson View Post
You've written that twice, now. It's not true. It's covered in the article Smiert linked.
How about instead of going by what some overly biased article says, read the memoirs for yourself. That article cherry picks half-facts, and twists them around.

Farrow's memoirs never state that Woody Allen had little to do with those children. It does state that Allen adopted two of Mia Farrow's adopted daughters. The only reason he didn't adopt Soon-Yi was because he legally couldn't.

The memoirs also point out that Allen used to strip down to his underwear and wrap himself around Dylan while she was asleep. And he used to have her suck on his fingers.

Even though the court never had charges brought up against Allen, the court did completely strip away his rights to his adopted children, and he was only allowed supervised visits with his son. That's a pretty extreme ruling for a court to make against a father.

I'm sorry, but you'd have to be extremely gullible to believe that a man dated a woman for a decade, had a son with her, adopted two of her daughters (legally couldn't adopt Soon-Yi), yet had little to do with any them.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magjournal View Post
These are accusations, not facts. Woody Allen could've molested Dylan Farrow. He might not have. But I don't think any of us have enough facts to crucify Allen.

This.

Mia Farrow and her own eccentricities (saying now that Sinatra could be Ronan's father, having a brother who was actually convicted of molesting children and being completely estranged from her other son Moses because he says that she was "brainwashing" the kids..) don't make matters any easier.

There is no proof of anything. Now that Dylan Farrow's letter is out (which opens and closes by asking us what our favourite Woody Allen movie is. You kidding? She's forcing us to feel guilty for watching and liking his movies because he ALLEGEDLY molested her...sorry, but, give me a break) loads of people are out trying to demonize him and calling him a pedophile and all that. And no one really knows the actual truth except Woody Allen and Dylan Farrow, the latter who married his ex-girlfriend's adopted daughter so immediately he's more likely to have molested a 7 year old girl, who may as well be completely confused and brainwashed by her crazy ass mother.

Also, I wouldn't talk about being gullible and then use Mia Farrow's memoirs as some kind of defense.

And the funny thing is, I'm not even a big Woody Allen fan but Annie Hall is my favourite Woody Allen movie.

EDIT: here's probably the best piece I've read so far on this thing:

http://www.salon.com/2014/02/03/the_...dy_allen_case/

Last edited by DaMovieMan; 02-03-2014 at 11:58 PM..
Old 02-04-2014, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMovieMan View Post
LOL Salon is one of the biggest bullshit propaganda sites on the web. When I want a serious opinion, that's a site I tend to avoid. Doesn't surprise me they would defend a creep and accused child molester/pedophile like Woody Allen. Because Salon is so known for its moral code LOL.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
LOL Salon is one of the biggest bullshit propaganda sites on the web. When I want a serious opinion, that's a site I tend to avoid. Doesn't surprise me they would defend a creep and accused child molester/pedophile like Woody Allen. Because Salon is so known for its moral code LOL.

You obviously didn't read it... They didn't defend anyone and the writer even says her personal opinion of Allen is that he's a big creep.

I don't read or know much about Salon but that article describes this whole situation pretty perfectly. It just sounds like many of you already made up your minds as if you've had direct contact with these people.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Block View Post
When valuing a movie, I judge the art and not the artist. Woody Allen, like Polanski and Kazan, will remain a talented filmmaker.
If you liked a particular artwork done by Hitler or say Gacy...both of whom were painters would you buy their stuff?

If you owned their stuff before knowing their crimes would you still keep it?

An adult pedophile is as worse as those two imo
Old 02-05-2014, 04:53 PM

We may have a rebuttal from Woody published in The Times as a direct answer to Dylan Farrow's letter....

Wonder how those of you so quick to condemn a man as a pedophile will say then.

Sometimes I seriously feel like we still live in those times when women were burned for being witches just coz someone said something. Ridiculous.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMovieMan View Post
Sometimes I seriously feel like we still live in those times when women were burned for being witches just coz someone said something. Ridiculous.
Well that's a little dramatic. I don't think any advocated him being burned at the stake or even sent to jail without being proven guilty first.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:19 PM
Quote:
Well that's a little dramatic. I don't think any advocated him being burned at the stake or even sent to jail without being proven guilty first.
The bottom line is people like, nay, LOVE to judge others... despite not wanting to be judged themselves.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:49 PM

Last edited by SS-Block; 03-31-2014 at 02:33 PM..
Old 02-06-2014, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoojib127 View Post
The bottom line is people like, nay, LOVE to judge others... despite not wanting to be judged themselves.
What? if I was convicted of being a pedophile I would deserve to be in jail. I never said he was proven guilty buddy, I was just reading the letter and I come down on Dylan Farrow's side of things.

Last edited by ThunderStorm; 02-06-2014 at 01:10 PM..
Old 02-08-2014, 12:45 PM
Woody Allen's response on The New York Times

Quote:
TWENTY-ONE years ago, when I first heard Mia Farrow had accused me of child molestation, I found the idea so ludicrous I didn’t give it a second thought. We were involved in a terribly acrimonious breakup, with great enmity between us and a custody battle slowly gathering energy. The self-serving transparency of her malevolence seemed so obvious I didn’t even hire a lawyer to defend myself. It was my show business attorney who told me she was bringing the accusation to the police and I would need a criminal lawyer.

I naïvely thought the accusation would be dismissed out of hand because of course, I hadn’t molested Dylan and any rational person would see the ploy for what it was. Common sense would prevail. After all, I was a 56-year-old man who had never before (or after) been accused of child molestation. I had been going out with Mia for 12 years and never in that time did she ever suggest to me anything resembling misconduct. Now, suddenly, when I had driven up to her house in Connecticut one afternoon to visit the kids for a few hours, when I would be on my raging adversary’s home turf, with half a dozen people present, when I was in the blissful early stages of a happy new relationship with the woman I’d go on to marry — that I would pick this moment in time to embark on a career as a child molester should seem to the most skeptical mind highly unlikely. The sheer illogic of such a crazy scenario seemed to me dispositive.

Notwithstanding, Mia insisted that I had abused Dylan and took her immediately to a doctor to be examined. Dylan told the doctor she had not been molested. Mia then took Dylan out for ice cream, and when she came back with her the child had changed her story. The police began their investigation; a possible indictment hung in the balance. I very willingly took a lie-detector test and of course passed because I had nothing to hide. I asked Mia to take one and she wouldn’t. Last week a woman named Stacey Nelkin, whom I had dated many years ago, came forward to the press to tell them that when Mia and I first had our custody battle 21 years ago, Mia had wanted her to testify that she had been underage when I was dating her, despite the fact this was untrue. Stacey refused. I include this anecdote so we all know what kind of character we are dealing with here. One can imagine in learning this why she wouldn’t take a lie-detector test.

Meanwhile the Connecticut police turned for help to a special investigative unit they relied on in such cases, the Child Sexual Abuse Clinic of the Yale-New Haven Hospital. This group of impartial, experienced men and women whom the district attorney looked to for guidance as to whether to prosecute, spent months doing a meticulous investigation, interviewing everyone concerned, and checking every piece of evidence. Finally they wrote their conclusion which I quote here: “It is our expert opinion that Dylan was not sexually abused by Mr. Allen. Further, we believe that Dylan’s statements on videotape and her statements to us during our evaluation do not refer to actual events that occurred to her on August 4th, 1992... In developing our opinion we considered three hypotheses to explain Dylan’s statements. First, that Dylan’s statements were true and that Mr. Allen had sexually abused her; second, that Dylan’s statements were not true but were made up by an emotionally vulnerable child who was caught up in a disturbed family and who was responding to the stresses in the family; and third, that Dylan was coached or influenced by her mother, Ms. Farrow. While we can conclude that Dylan was not sexually abused, we can not be definite about whether the second formulation by itself or the third formulation by itself is true. We believe that it is more likely that a combination of these two formulations best explains Dylan’s allegations of sexual abuse.”

Could it be any clearer? Mr. Allen did not abuse Dylan; most likely a vulnerable, stressed-out 7-year-old was coached by Mia Farrow. This conclusion disappointed a number of people. The district attorney was champing at the bit to prosecute a celebrity case, and Justice Elliott Wilk, the custody judge, wrote a very irresponsible opinion saying when it came to the molestation, “we will probably never know what occurred.”

But we did know because it had been determined and there was no equivocation about the fact that no abuse had taken place. Justice Wilk was quite rough on me and never approved of my relationship with Soon-Yi, Mia’s adopted daughter, who was then in her early 20s. He thought of me as an older man exploiting a much younger woman, which outraged Mia as improper despite the fact she had dated a much older Frank Sinatra when she was 19. In fairness to Justice Wilk, the public felt the same dismay over Soon-Yi and myself, but despite what it looked like our feelings were authentic and we’ve been happily married for 16 years with two great kids, both adopted. (Incidentally, coming on the heels of the media circus and false accusations, Soon-Yi and I were extra carefully scrutinized by both the adoption agency and adoption courts, and everyone blessed our adoptions.)

Mia took custody of the children and we went our separate ways.

I was heartbroken. Moses was angry with me. Ronan I didn’t know well because Mia would never let me get close to him from the moment he was born and Dylan, whom I adored and was very close to and about whom Mia called my sister in a rage and said, “He took my daughter, now I’ll take his.” I never saw her again nor was I able to speak with her no matter how hard I tried. I still loved her deeply, and felt guilty that by falling in love with Soon-Yi I had put her in the position of being used as a pawn for revenge. Soon-Yi and I made countless attempts to see Dylan but Mia blocked them all, spitefully knowing how much we both loved her but totally indifferent to the pain and damage she was causing the little girl merely to appease her own vindictiveness.

Here I quote Moses Farrow, 14 at the time: “My mother drummed it into me to hate my father for tearing apart the family and sexually molesting my sister.” Moses is now 36 years old and a family therapist by profession. “Of course Woody did not molest my sister,” he said. “She loved him and looked forward to seeing him when he would visit. She never hid from him until our mother succeeded in creating the atmosphere of fear and hate towards him.” Dylan was 7, Ronan 4, and this was, according to Moses, the steady narrative year after year.

I pause here for a quick word on the Ronan situation. Is he my son or, as Mia suggests, Frank Sinatra’s? Granted, he looks a lot like Frank with the blue eyes and facial features, but if so what does this say? That all during the custody hearing Mia lied under oath and falsely represented Ronan as our son? Even if he is not Frank’s, the possibility she raises that he could be, indicates she was secretly intimate with him during our years. Not to mention all the money I paid for child support. Was I supporting Frank’s son? Again, I want to call attention to the integrity and honesty of a person who conducts her life like that.

NOW it’s 21 years later and Dylan has come forward with the accusations that the Yale experts investigated and found false. Plus a few little added creative flourishes that seem to have magically appeared during our 21-year estrangement.

Not that I doubt Dylan hasn’t come to believe she’s been molested, but if from the age of 7 a vulnerable child is taught by a strong mother to hate her father because he is a monster who abused her, is it so inconceivable that after many years of this indoctrination the image of me Mia wanted to establish had taken root? Is it any wonder the experts at Yale had picked up the maternal coaching aspect 21 years ago? Even the venue where the fabricated molestation was supposed to have taken place was poorly chosen but interesting. Mia chose the attic of her country house, a place she should have realized I’d never go to because it is a tiny, cramped, enclosed spot where one can hardly stand up and I’m a major claustrophobe. The one or two times she asked me to come in there to look at something, I did, but quickly had to run out. Undoubtedly the attic idea came to her from the Dory Previn song, “With My Daddy in the Attic.” It was on the same record as the song Dory Previn had written about Mia’s betraying their friendship by insidiously stealing her husband, André, “Beware of Young Girls.” One must ask, did Dylan even write the letter or was it at least guided by her mother? Does the letter really benefit Dylan or does it simply advance her mother’s shabby agenda? That is to hurt me with a smear. There is even a lame attempt to do professional damage by trying to involve movie stars, which smells a lot more like Mia than Dylan.

After all, if speaking out was really a necessity for Dylan, she had already spoken out months earlier in Vanity Fair. Here I quote Moses Farrow again: “Knowing that my mother often used us as pawns, I cannot trust anything that is said or written from anyone in the family.” Finally, does Mia herself really even believe I molested her daughter? Common sense must ask: Would a mother who thought her 7-year-old daughter was sexually abused by a molester (a pretty horrific crime), give consent for a film clip of her to be used to honor the molester at the Golden Globes?

Of course, I did not molest Dylan. I loved her and hope one day she will grasp how she has been cheated out of having a loving father and exploited by a mother more interested in her own festering anger than her daughter’s well-being. Being taught to hate your father and made to believe he molested you has already taken a psychological toll on this lovely young woman, and Soon-Yi and I are both hoping that one day she will understand who has really made her a victim and reconnect with us, as Moses has, in a loving, productive way. No one wants to discourage abuse victims from speaking out, but one must bear in mind that sometimes there are people who are falsely accused and that is also a terribly destructive thing. (This piece will be my final word on this entire matter and no one will be responding on my behalf to any further comments on it by any party. Enough people have been hurt.)