Old 02-02-2014, 12:28 PM
RIP Phillip Seymour Hoffman

according to the WSJ, PSH was found dead in his Manhattan appartment
Old 02-02-2014, 12:35 PM
Jesus Christ
Old 02-02-2014, 01:01 PM
An absolutely devastating loss. Without a doubt one of the most talented actors of his generation (and any generation, really). My condolences to his family.

R.I.P.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:06 PM
A great talent and a great loss...such a shame!
R.I.P. Philip Seymour Hoffman!
Old 02-02-2014, 01:07 PM
Fuck. One of the great ones. Wish he could have kicked the drugs.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:16 PM
Really terrible news, such a huge loss for cinema. He was my favourite actor of all time and an absolute giant of the screen, what a shame he couldn't overcome his personal demons. Devastating.

RIP
Old 02-02-2014, 01:19 PM
I remember first hearing he was a Heroin addict and being blown away by that... cuz I mean, he aint exactly the pique of physicality but his stature made it such a shock... so this loss isnt a HUGE shocker, but then again, it IS a huge shocker!

So now we have 2 huge ass franchises that have lost their main stars while in the middle of filming (paul walker with The Fast & the furious 7 and now Hoffman with The Hunger Games)
Old 02-02-2014, 01:47 PM
I hate to compare the sadness of one celebrity death to another, but of all the celebrity deaths in my lifetime, I think this is the most devastating. He's the kind of actor whose films I would see regardless of whether they were good or not. I always knew that no matter what, he would give a great performance.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:06 PM

fuuuuuuck
Old 02-02-2014, 02:33 PM
A huge loss.

RIP
Old 02-02-2014, 02:54 PM
It is so profoundly unsettling. Yesterday, this man exists with enormous talent and personal depth. You take the whole thing for granted, and probably don't think about him the whole day. The next day he is gone forever.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:15 PM
This is a pretty heavy loss to the world of movies. I don't know what type of person he was outside of the films he did, but he was a great actor capable of great range and depth. I'll definitely miss him.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
I hate to compare the sadness of one celebrity death to another, but of all the celebrity deaths in my lifetime, I think this is the most devastating. He's the kind of actor whose films I would see regardless of whether they were good or not. I always knew that no matter what, he would give a great performance.
That's exactly how I feel, man.

Goodbye to one of the best in the business.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:48 PM
Man, I just woke up and come downstairs to hear this news. What a horrible way to wake up. RIP to one of the best talents out there!
Old 02-02-2014, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
I agree ... this is highly devastating, more so than any recent death.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:21 PM

the star of the Supernatural(Jared Padalecki) tweeted this.

What a huge douche bag. He's ripped on other people in the past on Twitter (most recently Jonah Hill for getting 60,000 for WOWS and not being impressed)
Old 02-02-2014, 08:32 PM
I wouldn't give some random jerk on twitter the satisfaction of thinking or talking about what they have to say. The fact that he goes straight to attacking the man is horrible and says a lot about his motivation, but there is really a point to be made about drugs here; how terrible and destructive they are. Once you get addicted to them it has nothing to do with how 'stupid' you are because the whole thing is physiological and beyond intelligence or reason. I don't think it's a coincidence that so many of our most talented cultural figures have serious drug problems (or that a lot of these shocking and premature deaths are drug related): I can't imagine how physically, mentally and emotionally taxing it is to be an actor who pours out the absolute depth of their soul on stage and on camera most of the year, while getting hassled by fans, media, public events, etc. for just about the rest of the year. It's something I think an untalented television actor wouldn't understand.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:54 PM
So guttered looking through my top 100, he is in 6 and is one of my most collected actors in my collection. On the bright side he has such an expansive filmography that we will be able to watch his films for years to come, he won't be forgotten. I agree with Bourne, I think this is the celebrity death that has hit me the hardest. RIP Mr Hoffman, you will truly be missed, your talent lives on through your films.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:14 AM

Last edited by SS-Block; 03-31-2014 at 01:34 PM..
Old 02-03-2014, 01:14 AM

I share the sentiments of many here in saying that this is the celebrity death that's hit me the hardest, moreso than Ledger or Gandolfini.. And I had no idea that he had a heroin addiction and a relapse last year, so this one really hit me like a ton of bricks when I heard about it. Felt like a nightmare, truly. An unbelievable actor, unforgettable in so so many roles. He leaves a legacy of performances behind that can rival the greatest of all. This one is staying with me for a while..

Fuck.

RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
the star of the Supernatural(Jared Padalecki) tweeted this.

What a huge douche bag. He's ripped on other people in the past on Twitter (most recently Jonah Hill for getting 60,000 for WOWS and not being impressed)
Padalecki is actually being rather restrained compared to some other comments I have read by some major assholes on facebook.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:58 AM
One of the best and diverse actors ,i have ever had the pleasure of watching .He was one of those actors that if
i heard he was part of the cast,it made me look forward to watching the film more.
So many great roles in:Twister, Boogie Nights,The Big Lebowski,Happiness, Flawless, Magnolia, The Talented Mr. Ripley,
Almost Famous, Red Dragon, 25th Hour, Owning Mahowny, Capote,and The Master.
He also shined as a villain ,especially in Mission Impossible 3 as the villain Owen Davian,it was brilliant to use his characters
threats to Ethan Hunt as the opening sequence.
When i heard he was filming a series for Showtime called Happyish it brought a smile to my face.Im not sure how much of it
was completed or if any of it will air at this point,but i do know the world has been robbed of his talent and what was to come.
My prayers to his family and friends.

RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman
Old 02-03-2014, 08:37 AM

I felt like my heart was ripped out when I read this. He was such a phenomenal actor. I don't think I've ever seen him give a bad performance, even if the movie itself was bad. Hell, he managed to be good in Along Came Polly, for which he deserved some sort of award of some kind, because that movie SUCKED.

This may have been mentioned already, but someone told me that on the set of Red Dragon, Anthony Hopkins would show up when PSH was shooting his scenes, just to watch him act. I don't think they had any scenes together but that's such a great story, that Anthony fucking Hopkins would watch him.

Last edited by magjournal; 02-03-2014 at 08:39 AM..
Old 02-03-2014, 11:15 AM
Devastating is a word. Tragic is another.

PSH was my favorite actor and one of the all-time greats. He will be sorely missed.

I can only imagine what his friends, family, and 3 young children are going through. They matter most.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:45 PM
I don't agree with the wording of Padalecki's comments, but I do have to echo his sentiment really. As gutted I am to see this talented man go, I must aim most of my sympathy to his family and young children.

Let's be honest, Hoffman had all the ability not to get back into this lifestyle after kicking it the first time. He could afford not to get back into this state in monetary terms and having that family this time around should have been the motivation NOT to even dabble in it again. I appreciate he went to rehab a couple of times since relapsing, but the fact he chose this path again, however depressed or down he was, while having three kids at home leaves me with a real sour taste in my mouth.

Insanely talented and humble man and he will be a big loss to the film industry, but and even bigger loss to his kids. This whole thing should and could have been avoided.

RIP
Old 02-03-2014, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
I don't agree with the wording of Padalecki's comments, but I do have to echo his sentiment really. As gutted I am to see this talented man go, I must aim most of my sympathy to his family and young children.

Let's be honest, Hoffman had all the ability not to get back into this lifestyle after kicking it the first time. He could afford not to get back into this state in monetary terms and having that family this time around should have been the motivation NOT to even dabble in it again. I appreciate he went to rehab a couple of times since relapsing, but the fact he chose this path again, however depressed or down he was, while having three kids at home leaves me with a real sour taste in my mouth.

Insanely talented and humble man and he will be a big loss to the film industry, but and even bigger loss to his kids. This whole thing should and could have been avoided.

RIP

Addiction is a powerful thing that has the ability to engulf anyone. It's very easy for someone who has never been addicted to be judgmental, hopefully you'll never find out personally what it's like.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:02 PM
Wasn't he sober for about 8-10 years or so? If that is the case then it highlights his selfishness to 'dabble' with drugs again now having those kids. Addiction is powerful, of course, but he had every ability to fight and get away from it.

If this was some trailer trash dad with four little kids he left behind you wouldn't defend him, and you would be correct in not doing so.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:27 PM
Quote:
If this was some trailer trash dad with four little kids he left behind you wouldn't defend him, and you would be correct in not doing so.
I'll refer you to my earlier post. The sheer physical, emotional, and intellectual demands of preforming at a high level on stage and on screen, coupled with the demands of being a celebrity, are far beyond the experiential horizon of a person like you or me. It is not difficult to see how someone might resort to any of a variety of legal and illegal drugs in such a situation. This aspect really needs to be understood and appreciated.

Beyond that, someone who had suffered with addiction previously and thus had a physiological problem, both genetic and exacerbated, almost certainly requires a super-human effort to restrain themselves under those circumstances. The problems faced go far beyond questions of will, character, virtue, intellect, or reason.

Last edited by Gordon; 02-03-2014 at 02:35 PM..
Old 02-03-2014, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Wasn't he sober for about 8-10 years or so? If that is the case then it highlights his selfishness to 'dabble' with drugs again now having those kids. Addiction is powerful, of course, but he had every ability to fight and get away from it.

Why do you think it's so difficult for some people to quick drinking/smoking, etc? Addiction is a powerful thing and you obviously know nothing about it.

And to answer your question, it would be just as tragic and sad and upsetting for it to be some "trailer trash dad". Or anyone else. Addiction is a terrible thing no matter who it is.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:10 PM
I know plenty about addiction. I have many members of my family that have had drug and drink addictions and the majority of them have managed to come through the other side of it because they had a family of their own.

This man had the tools and everything at his fingertips in order to beat his demons. He could afford any amount of rehabilitation that was required to rid him of this addiction to heroin but he didn't fully utilize it. The saddest part is that he managed to go all those years being clean and sober, but then selfishly decided to delve back into it. I don't give a fuck if he was stressed or depressed, you deal with it in other ways. Ways that are not going to kill you and leave your kids without a father.

Lets not all exaggerate his addiction either, he has managed to be a working actor throughout it and and didn't drop one iota in his performances. I'm not saying he didn't have a problem, but it definitely could have been resolved if he had tried harder.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:37 PM
Quote:
..it definitely could have been resolved if he had tried harder.
You sound so sure for someone who's never met this person you're clearly judging more and more as you continue this conversation. If you have first-hand experience from family members who've had heroin addiction (other addictions don't count for obvious reasons) then you should just be lucky that they had the kind of support needed in order to overcome it. How are you so sure that PSH had that kind of support? Did you know him or his family? Are you privy to some kind of intimate home videos we don't know about?

Also, you've skipped over Gordon's very valid point by saying "I don't give a shit how stressed or depressed he was". Again, a kind of lifestyle you probably only hear about (unless you have family members who are celebrities?) and have first-hand knowledge of.

Point is, don't be so quick to judge a man, his life and his demons like all those other morons (you're being way more civil about it, I get that, but you seem to understand where they're coming from which is kind of alarming) when you only know about him through movies and interviews. The biggest tragedy is that he's left those three kids fatherless, I agree, but having children doesn't give you superstrength (as much as it should..people are imperfect)

You're entitled to your opinion, but you're starting to judge someone you've got no clue about.

EDIT: Just noticed JoBlo's blurb of the day is about the Seahawks and not PSH. That's.....not cool.

Last edited by DaMovieMan; 02-03-2014 at 06:39 PM..
Old 02-03-2014, 07:14 PM
This was a tragic loss for cinema. I can only imagine the plethora of brilliant performances he would have turned in had he been alive another decade.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:39 PM
I can't believe the comments in this thread. It is absolutely senseless.

I feel awful for his children. For them, this is tragic and sad. Not only did they lose a father, their last thought will be of him missing an appointment to see them because he was busy getting high and dying. Fucking awful, I feel for those children.

The loss to cinema is a big one. PSH bled talent and showed it effortlessly in everything he was in. It's sad that fans won't be able to see any more great performances from him. From strictly a future of film point of view, this sucks for all of us. Hollywood lost an absolute titan.

To state the obvious, he was more troubled than anybody knew. However, I don't feel bad or mourn somebody who did what he did. It was stupid, it was senseless, and it showed he had a complete lack of respect for himself and selfishly put his commitment to drugs ahead of his children.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofKings2525 View Post

It was stupid, it was senseless, and it showed he had a complete lack of respect for himself and selfishly put his commitment to drugs ahead of his children.

Wow.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:46 PM
No matter how talented the person or incredible the performances, nobody is impervious to addiction. Look at the talent base here: Michael Jackson, Jim Morrison, Layne Staley, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Whitney Houston...the list goes on. Add one more gifted performer to that list. And it won't stop anytime soon. Until we have a real solution to this problem (as opposed to shaming the dead), then the problem doesn't go away.

RIP
Old 02-04-2014, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeo4 View Post
No matter how talented the person or incredible the performances, nobody is impervious to addiction. Look at the talent base here: Michael Jackson, Jim Morrison, Layne Staley, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Whitney Houston...the list goes on. Add one more gifted performer to that list. And it won't stop anytime soon. Until we have a real solution to this problem (as opposed to shaming the dead), then the problem doesn't go away.

RIP
Agreed, we can't shame the dead for something that overwhelms reason and logic being the cause of their death. I didn't fully understand the nature of addiction until I asked someone I knew who lost a loved one to it to explain it to me. It sounds overly simple at first to an outsider who's never witnessed the terrible toll it can take on a human being, but it's anything but. Addiction isn't about being selfish or irresponsible, especially when it comes to a drug as powerful and dangerous as heroin. We're talking about something that overwhelms the senses in such a powerful way that the person effected essentially has no other choice but to feed into it. This doesn't mean that Hoffman was selfish, irresponsible, or a bad person. He probably loved his family and children very much and, if it were possible, I'm sure he would have never tried the drug in the first place if he truly understood the toll it would take on his life.

I really miss Layne Staley too.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:37 PM
I thought I'd share this for those who haven't seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcTf7CO-hdA

What I'd give to be able to see these two legends work together again...
Old 02-05-2014, 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofKings2525 View Post

However, I don't feel bad or mourn somebody who did what he did. It was stupid, it was senseless, and it showed he had a complete lack of respect for himself and selfishly put his commitment to drugs ahead of his children.
That last paragraph is one of those "senseless" comments. If anyone here has dealt with the addiction of heroin you would know that it's not just an addiction, it's a disease, and can take 100% control of your life. I'm sure PSH was a very intelligent individual, and if he knew that heroin would've played this kind of role in his life he wouldn't have even touched the drug in the first place... but he did what he did and I can guarantee if he had the chance to do it all over again he would do it differently, especially for his family and children. It's not that he was careless or selfish, but the man had a disease that wound up taking over his life.

Nonetheless, we lost such a great talent, and I'm sure we have missed out on his best performance that was yet to come.

May he R.I.P.
Gone but not forgotten.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:40 AM
Rest in Peace. I echo the statements that this was without a doubt the celebrity death that has affected me the most. He was one of our finest actors and thankfully his tremendous range work in a great range of films will live on.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:44 PM
Unexpected this is. An incredibly tragic loss of both life and great talent. I feel far more for his family/friends than I do for the fans of his film and work. But all will suffer as a direct consequence of his passing. It's funny, but In a weird way, I can't stop thinking about this scene, and others from Twister, in which he played Dusty. Incidentally this was the very first time I saw Phillip on film.