Old 02-15-2014, 02:00 AM
Ellen Page's Beautiful HRC Speech/Coming Out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hlCEIUATzg

What an inspiring, beautiful speech and what powerful words she has. Very impressed.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDurden View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hlCEIUATzg

What an inspiring, beautiful speech and what powerful words she has. Very impressed.
Yeah, that was pretty powerful. Good for her.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:09 PM

Good for her. Not that I'm shocked or anything.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:04 PM
She still looks like a kid despite being 25 years old.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:06 PM
lol big deal why is this a thing?
Old 02-15-2014, 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderStorm View Post
lol big deal why is this a thing?
Because the world is full of bigots who would gladly deny people like Ellen Page of basic human rights. Also, there are young gay boys and girls who would like to have role models to look up to (see also: Missouri's Michael Sam).

It is still perfectly legal to discriminate against gays in many parts of the country, so, yeah, this is still kind of a big deal.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:49 PM
She was obviously gay, but good for her for announcing it.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
Because the world is full of bigots who would gladly deny people like Ellen Page of basic human rights. Also, there are young gay boys and girls who would like to have role models to look up to (see also: Missouri's Michael Sam).

It is still perfectly legal to discriminate against gays in many parts of the country, so, yeah, this is still kind of a big deal.
See I think the story of a young gay boy or girl coming out to his/her family, friends, loved ones etc is much bigger of a deal rather than some famous person who is already secure and set coming out after the fact.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:38 PM
Quote:
See I think the story of a young gay boy or girl coming out to his/her family, friends, loved ones etc is much bigger of a deal rather than some famous person who is already secure and set coming out after the fact.
But they aren't famous, and therefore not in the public eye for everyone to see. It takes highly visible people coming out to enable average, everyday people top feel safe and comfortable in coming out.

It's a cumulative effect, and every little bit helps.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:54 PM
Quote:
But they aren't famous, and therefore not in the public eye for everyone to see. It takes highly visible people coming out to enable average, everyday people top feel safe and comfortable in coming out.

It's a cumulative effect, and every little bit helps.
I see what you're saying, but I just think it is more impressive for an average everyday kid to come out rather than someone who has nothing to risk to come about because they are already set.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:54 AM
Quote:
What you fail to understand is that Ellen Page's decision to come out is meant to inspire exactly what you're talking about.

A large reason why people won't be open about their sexuality is because of fear. They are too scared to face the reactions of other people. Sometimes that fear can be irrational or misguided, but there are many situations where their fears are justified. No one wants to be harassed, excluded, left out, etc. because they want to live in their own skin.

So when these young gay people see someone like Ellen Page, a person who's in the public eye and under constant scrutiny (as any celebrity is), say she's gay and receive a standing ovation in a packed auditorium it tells these young kids in hiding something. It shows them that there are people who support them, that if they'll never be welcomed where they are then there are plenty of other places where they will be welcomed.

So what Ellen Page is doing isn't throwing a big coming out party for herself. It's contributing to an environment where letting people know who you really are is met with support rather than hostility. When more people come out, being gay (or bi/trans/lesbian/and so on) will become more of a norm in society. When we can get to the day where a situation like Page coming out doesn't need to happen, it will be an achievement. For now, we need all the help we can get.

Ellen Page wasn't speaking to you when she made that speech. She was speaking to anyone out there who's scared about coming out. She knew that by hiding her sexuality it was implicitly encouraging the kind of behaviour that needs to be vanquished.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:13 PM
Quote:
I see what you're saying, but I just think it is more impressive for an average everyday kid to come out rather than someone who has nothing to risk to come about because they are already set.
When an average gay kid comes out, there's a good chance they could lose everything. 40% of homeless teens are so because they are gay.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:09 PM
Quote:
When an average gay kid comes out, there's a good chance they could lose everything. 40% of homeless teens are so because they are gay.
And I'm sure a good portion of the other 60% are homeless because they came out as atheists.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Good for her. Not that I'm shocked or anything.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:48 PM
Great on her for finally coming out.