Old 04-10-2014, 03:10 PM
Stephen Colbert to replace Letterman

Great choice. He's way funnier than Jimmy Fallon

http://www.deadline.com/2014/04/step...vid-letterman/
Old 04-10-2014, 05:52 PM
Colbert is a strong choice, shows that CBS wants someone who is both smart and funny...someone can interview, make us laugh. He is strong in areas that Jimmy Fallon is weak...it might help Fallon mature a little more. Colbert's show will definitely be worth watching.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:13 PM
To be honest, I think that almost anybody that CBS would have went with would be better than Jimmy Fallon. I'm just glad that it's someone like Stephen Colbert.

You can throw any kind of compliment at him (smart, quick, thinks on his feet, handles crowd control with finesse, can handle awkwardness with ease, etc.), but all of that comes second to his ability to do all that while IN CHARACTER as the host of The Colbert Report. That kind of multitasking takes an intellect and an ability to act that far surpasses Jimmy Fallon.

I will definitely be watching Colbert's talk show...
Old 04-11-2014, 05:10 PM
Huge coup for CBS. I will be watching for sure but part of me wishes he kept going with The Colbert Report...I'm a bit worried about how much leeway he's gonna get on CBS to skewer as much as he does on that show. I think The Colbert Report is far funnier and sharper than The Daily Show and I was kinda hoping Stewart would be the one to take the Letterman spot.

Still, Colbert wanted this *badly* - according to the NYTimes, lining up all his contracts for the past few years with Letterman's, so he's gotta have some awesome ideas for what to do with the show.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:25 PM
It's good for him, but I am really sad that this will be the end of The Colbert Report. To me, that show has only gotten better and better as time goes on. The writing and comic timing are second to none. The show is truly laugh out loud hilarious every night. My one and only gripe out about the show is that the audience cheers way too much, often drowning out his opening jokes.

Okay, two gripes: I think he has too many musical guests on, and that his taste in music is, frankly, absolutely terrible.

On the other hand, I can't stand David Letterman. Nor do I really care for the late night talk show format. Also, those shows are on too late for me (gotta get up early), so I don't see myself catching Colbert as much, which is a bummer.

Oh well. We will have gotten almost ten years of The Colbert Report when it's all said and done. Not a bad run.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:50 PM
I think he's certainly smart and funny, but are we sure he'll be good at this? Colbert the character is very funny, but he won't be playing the character anymore, and Colbert the person, while funny, is a pretty by-the-book comedian. I think Jon Stewert would have been a much better choice, and I'm a little afraid that Colbert is going to come across too close to Stewert in interviews. That said, the pre-taped bits and skits will be funny because that's where Colbert thrives. I'm cautiously optimistic, but Colbert inevitably is going to lose a bit of his edge here.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:48 PM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...wont-be-695132

Well, he won't be replacing Letterman as the fake Stephen Colbert.

Good for him...don't come off as a one-trick pony.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:26 AM
but nowhere near as talented
Old 04-17-2014, 07:57 PM
Colbert is nothing special. I don't get the big excitement.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:15 AM
I've never Colbert's show but I do think he's funny in awards shows and in interviews, etc. I'm definitely intrigued. Definitely seems like an upgrade from the overrated Letterman. I like Jimmy Fallon a lot too, so this might actually be tough for me to decide who I should watch.