Old 09-28-2000, 12:16 PM
(VIDEO) "Screwed" (5/10)

It is hard to rate a film like this (or any of Chris Farley's films) because Norm McDonald really cracks me up, but I will try my best. "Screwed" starring Norm McDonald, Dave Chappelle and Danny Devito is an exercise in bad filmmaking directed by the writers of "Man On The Moon", "The People Vs. Larry Flynt" and the upcoming film version of "H.R. Pufnstuf". Oh, Larry and David were not meant to be directors, they should stick with screenwriting. As far as the cast, which also features Sherman Helmsley of "movin' on up...to the east side..." fame, is full of bad actors but their is definitely some funny stuff and at times I laughed just because it was so stupid. Norm McDonald appears to have reprised his role from the similarly unrateable film "Dirty Work" and Dave Chappelle looks like he just walked off the set of "Half BAked" (the film with Jim Breuer of "Goat Boy" fame, where Chappelle stars as Thurgood Jenkins/Sir Smoke-A-Lot. Both films try to have a premise but they both end up being about the one-liners and comedic timing of the performers, ending up like sketches rather than a whole film. Not a bad filler in between good films...of course, I wouldn't pay more than three bucks to see it and I definitely wouldn't buy it...

here is some samplings of the type of humor we are talking about...[quitting job] "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!...Get some sour cream and onion chips with some dip, man, some beef jerky, some peanut butter. Get some Haagen-Das ice cream bars, a whole lot, make sure chocolate, gotta have chocolate, man. Some popcorn, red popcorn, graham crackers, graham crackers with marshmallows, the little marshmallows and little chocolate bars and we can make smores, man. Also, celery, grape jelly, Captain Crunch with the little Crunch berries, pizzas...We need two big pizzas, man, everything on 'em, with water, whole lotta water, and Funyons...and you have smoked yourself retarded...Guess what? I got more booty! I got more booty!... I got some bootie! I got some bootie! It was good, too. Now, don't get me wrong, I love weed. I love it. But not as much as I love pussy...Oh my goodness! Now that is a titty! That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!...Don't get me wrong, I love weed. But there is nothing that compares to pussy. The end...You guys gotta get me out of here! There's this guy Nasty Nate who wants my cocktail fruit, and everyone here likes fresh fish! Then The Squirrel Master came out of left field and told me I'm his bitch!...

[This message has been edited by Brock Landers (edited 09-28-2000).]
Old 09-28-2000, 04:59 PM
Half Baked was good, and so was Screwed. What is your problem with DeVito and Chapelle? I think Dave Chapelle is hilarious and DeVito is great. He even made Drowning Mona watchable(not really, but he was the reason I sat through it because DeVito is awesome). His best performances were The Big Kahuna, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, and Ruthless People, though.
Old 09-28-2000, 05:09 PM
I like Chappelle and Devito a lot...I don't have a "problem" with them, in fact I just pointed out that Chappelle's character is funny just like in "HAlf-Baked" and that Devito's character in "Screwed" is not a good character...Devito has nothing to do with it...Devito did everything possible to resurrect his character but the character has no life all on its own...Devito should have been given a better part...
Old 02-08-2001, 04:50 AM
<moderator bump>