Old 02-23-2001, 01:54 PM
(VIDEO) Pink Floyd's "The Wall" (9/10)

Pink Floyd's "The Wall" A Brock Landers Overview of An Alan Parker Film...(9/10)

"Hello? Hello? Hello? Is there anybody in there? in there? in there? Just nod if you can here me. hear me. hear me. Is there anyone home? home? home?" - From "Comfortably Numb" (The first Pink Floyd song Brock heard while peaking on a few hits of high grade LSD, and still to this day, Brock's favorite Floyd tune.)

"The Wall" is a great film to some and mediocre to others. In fact, if you don't like Pink Floyd's music, you will be hard pressed to enjoy this film, which is sad because Alan Parker ("Birdy", "Angela's Ashes") does such a phenomenal job translating Roger Waters' work to the silver screen. The collaberation of the two, plus Gerald Scarfe's amazing animation and art direction, make this film a one-of-a-kind experience, something not to be missed. It's like a swirling collage of haunting imagery that I enjoy whether I am stone cold sober or tripping on hallucinogenic mushrooms and fermented apple cider. Adding to the brilliant sights, are the sounds of one of rock music's most enduring bands... Pink Floyd. And, as any fan of Pink Floyd music knows, their songs penetrate you to the very core. The collection of sounds, voices, instruments and nature combine to create some of the most unique and original music ever...

The music of "The Wall" stands strong on its own, but when combined with surreal images they become something else entirely, more of an experience than just a song. The story is told quite brilliantly through minimal use of dialogue, deeply poetic scenes and pounding soul-filled music. The main character is Pink, a burnt-out drug-laden rock star who has created a "wall" within himself, becoming an emotional island, his sole purpose to avoid any "real" feelings between himself and others, separating himself from life itself. We are given vivid flashbacks that show Pink's internal struggles in dealing with all that life has brought him over the years, from childhood to his present state. Then we have the erratic animation sequences which give visual life to yet another distinct layer within Pink. Most of the animated scenes are darkly graphic and overbearingly dramatic. They show his fears, his doubts, his obsessions, his depression... they depict what is behind the inpenetrable rock star shell. The filmmakers involved undoubtedly were striving for artistic expression without giving up any of the themes or content of Pink Floyd's original concept album and consequent tour. All in all it makes for an impressive sight. For all the raw nature and furor this film presents, it leaves an indellible impression on most who watch it. It's a film that is hard to forget and easy to love. It was a life changing experience for me...

(Note: Look out in the "Comfortably Numb" scene for Bob Hoskins circa-"The Long Good Friday"-style. Also, check out the similarities in cinematography during the World War II Battlefield Sequences and "Angela's Ashes". Alan Parker out-does himself once again.)

(DVD Note: The first time I saw this film was on the big screen and if possible that is the best way to see it. If you only have home video available, please...please...please watch the recently release DVD in anamorphic widescreen. The VHS tape version is awful and lacks so much that was fixed for the DVD release. In fact, the DVD production was rumored to have been the most intensive and time-consuming ever, which is evident when you go through the immense extra features. Some examples of the extras: Audio Commentary by Waters and Scarfe (really fascinating stuff for fans of Floyd, Animation and Film), Documentaries, Featurettes, Production & Concept Art, The Stage Show, Animation, A Scarfe Directed Music Video, "Hey You" Deleted Scene, "Technical Sound System Set Up Guide"...to check your speakers and surround, Sound System Calibration, Sound Pressure Level Meter (all of these sound options are great since this film is dependent on the music), Hidden Easter Egg extras...)

- To access the hidden easter eggs: Nearly every menu screen on this DVD has a wierd symbol in the corner of the screen. Pressing the "9" key on your remote will hit the symbol. Each symbol is an audio clip from different Pink Floyd albums like "The Final Cut", "Animals", etc... Happy exploring fellow schmoes [img]/ubb/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-23-2001, 03:28 PM
I completely agree; "Pink Floyd's The Wall" is a great movie that can be viewed on so many levels. I've watched it five times and never seen the same movie twice.

My favorite Pink Floyd song is "Wish You Were Here," off the album of the same name. It contains my all-time favorite lyric: "Did you exchange a walk-on part in the War / For a lead role in a cage?" Something very few of us consider when taking account of our lives and our actions, I believe.
Old 02-27-2001, 10:34 PM
Brock and drugs?

sounds like you are letting out a "saucerfull of secrets"
Old 02-28-2001, 05:10 PM
playgames... man, your always in the know with your inside ref's...I dig it...

nightwatchman... I'm rather partial to "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" myself... but "The Wall" is definitely an all-around masterpiece...
Old 03-07-2001, 07:27 PM
9/10