Old 03-02-2001, 09:53 PM
(VIDEO) Akira (8.5/10)

Everytime I see this movie, I end completely blown away, finding myself to only speak one word: wow. It has almost all the essential ingredients of an animated master piece: great story, and wonderful animation (it's as fluid as an anime gets). But there's one lacking...GOOD DUBS!

That was the worst part about watching it, was the awful dubs. Sometimes the voices didn't match the lips, the dialogue would be awkward, or the actor apparently was directed to stretch out his/her voice at the end of a sentence. (EX. Hey Tetsuo, what are you doinnggggggggg?) Ergh, I loathe watching the dubbed version, but I can't find the subtitled, does it even exist?

Don't let my nitpicking throw you off, the bad American voices are easy to ignore. This was probably the first anime I have ever watched, and more than likely the best. Recommended for multiple viewings just to digest the complicated story properly. I would've explained it, but I don't want to spoil a great experience. [img]/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

Recommended anime: Ninja Scroll, Demon City Shinjuku, The Venus Wars, Princess Mononoke/Mononoke Hime.

[This message has been edited by ban all music (edited 03-02-2001).]
Old 03-05-2001, 06:23 PM
Great thoughts on a great flick ban all music [img]/ubb/wink.gif[/img] I really dig this one too, though I can't stand to watch any foreign flicks that are dubbed... it makes me break out in a rash... I would add "Perfect Blue", "Judge", "Samurai X", "Golgo 13: Queen Bee", "Patlabor", "Vampire Hunter D", "Wicked City" and "Castle of Cagliostro" to your list... just a few more great anime flicks. By the way, I'm really looking forward to the new theatrical re-release upcoming...
Old 03-06-2001, 12:30 AM
Thanks, Brock. I really love this movie. And yeah, I can't wait for the Akira re-release, and hopefully they'll have some good dubs. (instead of 'how are you doinggggggg')
Old 03-09-2001, 08:06 PM
One more to add to the list of good animes. Record of Lodass War. This has the epic feel of The Lord of the Rings and doesn't even include horrible dubbing. Woo-hoo...check it out Ban All Music, it's one of my personal favs.