Old 06-10-2011, 02:19 AM
Cliches I am getting tired of seeing

I am sure there have been threads about the worst movie cliches, but I was wondering what cliches are you personally getting tired of?

1. The number 1 most annoying cliche for me is the 'Girl Power Moments' ALWAYS seen in action movies. When you have a squad of Special Forces operatives or even whole Medieval army, there is always 1 single female in the group. All Upon meeting her, all the men give her the 'Your a girl, you don't belong here' attitude. Then comes the 'Girl Power Moment' when the female character beats one of the men in some sort of duel, or displays how good she is using weapons, leaving the men awestruck.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with a female being part of a combat force, but I think the girl power cliche is getting very very very old. Just let her be part of the group without having to first prove herself.

2. The rebellious teenage daughter. Why just about every movie family have to have a teenage daughter who is just a stuck up little brat who hates her parents?
In Comedy movies especially, if its based around a family, you can rest assured that there will be a rebellious, parent hating teenage girl in it. Of course, something tragic or shocking happens that causes her to come to terms with her parents at the end of the movie.

3. This is another big one for me. In the movie world, Sports Jockeys are always, ALWAYS total jerks. When they need bullies to give the main character at a school a hard time, you can count on it being one of all the members of one of the school's sports teams - usually football players.

I was a complete Star Trek Geek in High School, yet many of my friends were sports jockeys.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:13 AM
135 views and not one response..

OK I get the message. I'll go find a more friendly, active movie board to post on.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:37 AM
Perhaps if you gave some examples.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebok View Post
1. The number 1 most annoying cliche for me is the 'Girl Power Moments' ALWAYS seen in action movies. When you have a squad of Special Forces operatives or even whole Medieval army, there is always 1 single female in the group. All Upon meeting her, all the men give her the 'Your a girl, you don't belong here' attitude. Then comes the 'Girl Power Moment' when the female character beats one of the men in some sort of duel, or displays how good she is using weapons, leaving the men awestruck.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with a female being part of a combat force, but I think the girl power cliche is getting very very very old. Just let her be part of the group without having to first prove herself.
Ahem...

Old 06-15-2011, 03:39 PM
I gotta agree with all the points made, but more so the first two. If you wanna see a friendly, likeable jock, Tebok, I'm sure you've seen The Breakfast Club. The feminine empowerment scenes have always irked me, as well as the rebellious teenage daughters and their coming to terms.

Sorry for the delayed response, but sometimes it's a bit slow around here, and welcome to the Boards!
Old 06-15-2011, 05:59 PM
Quote:
I may be wrong, but I think the first film to do what you ask is The Kingdom
Old 06-15-2011, 06:10 PM
Quote:
135 views and not one response..

OK I get the message. I'll go find a more friendly, active movie board to post on.
Maybe post a subject that hasn't been discussed to death and you'll get a better response. Or you could, I don't know, participate in some of the existing topics before forming a blanket opinion of the board.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:11 PM
Quote:

2. The rebellious teenage daughter. Why just about every movie family have to have a teenage daughter who is just a stuck up little brat who hates her parents?
In Comedy movies especially, if its based around a family, you can rest assured that there will be a rebellious, parent hating teenage girl in it. Of course, something tragic or shocking happens that causes her to come to terms with her parents at the end of the movie.

3. This is another big one for me. In the movie world, Sports Jockeys are always, ALWAYS total jerks. When they need bullies to give the main character at a school a hard time, you can count on it being one of all the members of one of the school's sports teams - usually football players.

I was a complete Star Trek Geek in High School, yet many of my friends were sports jockeys.
Agreed with both. Not just teenage daughters but boys and preteens as well. You know, the ones that roll their eyes at everything Dad says and just stare zombified at their phone/iPod/DS/Whatever.

And the jocks thing is annoying as well.

My own list of overused cliches:

1. The little kids in horror movies befriending the ghosts and starting to act weird and cryptic, scaring everyone else. See Mirrors, The Unborn ("He wants to be born now!" Fuck off.) or the little shitstain from The Ring films.

2. In superhero movies, the hero always beats up muggers, bank robbers or rapists on his first outing. It just shows a lack of creativity. Even Ghost Rider did this, and you think you could have had a bit more imagination for a demon who is the Spirit of Friggin' Vengeance.

3. Romantic comedy protagonists who are always inmature slacker losers who can't hold down a job, while the female is always the responsible one with the great job. How about switching up the roles from time to time? The guy always has to be the complicated one (No Strings Attached is probably the only film I've seen that reverses this). Guess we have Judd Apatow to thank for this.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:27 AM
Bourne trilogy replicated action- dude your close up action/fight scenes are beyond understanding, enough with the DV close range fight scenes with a cut every second to a different angle. You all know (Batman begins, any post 1998 Steven Seagal movie)

3D- it's been years now and even after Avatar, 3D still hasn't been utilized as a means of enhancing a story, it's still an empty shinning gimmick, for visual purposes only and still used to cash in more on films that the crew knew wouldn't do well.

Desensitizing material- I mean by this is the recent upscale in action, noise, CG, blood and offensive material in films these last 10 years. There's so much more on the screen now these days that there really is nothing more to show anybody and simple, honest to god human stories are out the window, bring in the machines, the people really want more transformers.