Old 11-28-2001, 05:56 PM
THE UGLY (8/10) *** out of ****

Simon Cartwright (Paolo Rotondo) has been the resident of a New Zealand mental institution for the past five years. Before his admittance, he killed dozens of people by slitting their throats with a razor, regardless of color or gender. A doctor (Rebecca Hobbs) is given the assignment of surveying Simon and determining whether or not he is mentally fit to stand trial. But as Simon relates the tales of his vicious killings, stemming back to mistreatment at the hands of his mother, the doctor is discouraged from diving into his mind, as Simon may in fact be either a true mental case or a cunning criminal drawing his next prey in.

With a gritty, SEVEN-remeniscent style, THE UGLY is a horror/thriller that draws you in and never lets go. The box makes the film look like another piece of direct-to-video garbage, when in fact it is a smart, exceptionally-acted thriller that messes up on a few rare occasions. There are too many false scares and one-dimensional side characters (namely the two violent orderlies who are just asking for it). But I loved the dark style with which writer/director Scott Reynolds approached telling this grim story. Paolo Rotondo's performance as Simon, though, is the center of the film, a character who comes alive and truly makes the viewer wonder whether Simon is the victim of pressure from a force called "the Ugly" or actually a perfectly sane person. Nice, spooky ending too...

THE UGLY is imperfect, but its flaws are nearly insignificant. It's an above-average horror film, featuring graphic death scenes (everyone bleeds black blood), a gritty directing style, and impressive performances.

(Note: I checked out the film's "unrated" version, although I don't know how this one's different from the R one...)
Old 02-10-2003, 11:06 PM

Wow, maybe I actually should check this one out. I kind of stayed away from this because the cover made it look like a really bad STV movie. But since you and the Arrow both liked it so much, I think I should give it a shot. Maybe I'll actually be pleasantly surprised. It sounds kind of like The Silence Of The Lambs from your description.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike
Wow, maybe I actually should check this one out. I kind of stayed away from this because the cover made it look like a really bad STV movie. But since you and the Arrow both liked it so much, I think I should give it a shot. Maybe I'll actually be pleasantly surprised. It sounds kind of like The Silence Of The Lambs from your description.
Ahhh... Go get it now! Brilliant movie, easily one of the best horror movies ever. Very creepy - it really gts right under your skin. As soon as it ended I wanted to watch it again. The acting is also incredible. Astonishing movie - if you have not seen it, you are surely missing out.

Last edited by SteveSzyk; 02-11-2003 at 06:19 PM..
Old 02-11-2003, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveSzyk
Ahhh... Go get it now! Brilliant movie, easily one of the best horror movies ever. Very creepy - it really gts right under your skin. As soon as it ended I wanted to watch it again. The acting is also incredible. Astonishing movie - if you have not seen it, ou are surely missing out.
I think I'll definitely check it out now. I'll probably rent it the next time I rent some older movies.
Old 02-11-2003, 11:46 PM
An impeccable movie. (Yay I got to use the word impeccable)

The directing is some of the best Ive seen in horror. The way the past and present collide and shift really made the movie stand out. The lead actor did well with the nice/ not so nice role he had to play. Plus colors are used extemely well in this one. The black blood makes everything surreal yet it feels like reality. The ending made me think for awhile after it played out which is always a plus. This has become one of my favorite horror movies and I never had regreted buying it blind.
Old 02-17-2003, 12:39 PM
One of the few movies that actually scared me. 8/10
Old 04-30-2003, 02:34 AM

Alright guys, I rented it today. I hope you're right about it... I'm glad my video store carried the UNRATED version, because even though I don't know how different the "R" rated version is, I know I'd rather have the UNRATED one.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:13 AM
Can anyone highlight the ending of this movie for me. Im not stupid but I couldn't wrap my head around that final twist.

THE UGLY is freaky, especially the apparitions that appear near the end and throughout the film.
The low budget aspect is amazingly rendered, and I couldn't help but think of JACK BE NIMBLE during THE UGLY.
Paolo Rotondo is fabulous as Simon, his expressions are low-key but frightening.

The warden is a delightful crackpot in the David Lynch sense, and his revelation at the end send a chill down my spine. But I liked the chill, it was welcome.
Old 04-30-2003, 07:26 PM
The ending is exactly why I ended up being disapointed in the flick. It was VERY interesting from beginning to..well, except for the end. I thought the director lost himself on what to do with the plot revelation of the "appearances" (I wont go further into detail) that part was VERY intriguing, but I was let down with the way it ended. I know he was trying to be ambiguous, but I dont think he succeeded entirely. 6/10
Old 05-02-2003, 06:47 PM
I didn't really understand the ending can someone explain?

I thought it was a good movie, the directing and acting and everything were top notch.
Old 05-06-2003, 12:03 PM

I didn't quite get the ending either, can anyone explain?

Anyway, the movie was alright. It was never really boring, but it's kind of choppily put together. Definitely not as good as everyone here seems to think, at least in my opinion anyway. I expected more. THE UGLY gets a 6/10 (C+) from me...
Old 05-06-2003, 08:12 PM

I always see this at my video store, but never thought about renting it.It looks horrible.But if you say itīs good, I might actually like it...Maybe Iīll rent it someday.