Old 03-21-2002, 02:54 PM
Donnie Darko

I just do not know where to start with this film, I guess i will start off by saying how great the cast selection was and how they did a wonderful job with their characters, each one just as interesting as the next, even the minor characters. The story is superb, its something fresh and new, something that hasn't been seen before, and i love that. What i do like about the movie is it has so much, i found some parts funny taht maybe i shouldn't have, but thats how this film works, some may find it scary, some may find it to be more of a comedy than anything else, but either way, the ending will leave you staring at the screen, just thinking to yourself "wow", i know i did, i wasn't sure where it was going, but once it got there, it is a real mind blower, what is a shame is that the film didn't get the publicity it should have, I tell someone about it and they have never even heard of it, thats why i will let people know that they must check this one out, so if you havn't seen it, check it out, i promise you a good time. You will either "love" it or it will drag the "fear" right out of you, you may not understand that now, but wait untill you see the film.

9/10
Old 03-21-2002, 09:14 PM
This film is the truest definition of a "mindfuck" that you will ever see on screen. Wow. An amazing directorial debut from Richard Kelly, whose script is so haunting, so keen, so witty, and so filled with pop cultural references I applauded it. What would Donnie Darko be classified as? Satire? Horror? Sci-fi? Allegory? Comic book?
Jake Gylenhall is astonishing in the main role of Donnie Darko. This was the guy from Bubble Boy?? Wow.
One could feel the atmosphere of this film was lifted directly from a David Lynch movie, plus a P.T. Anderson flick; you've gotta love that tracking shot when Donnie's school is introduced, set to Tears for Fears "Head Over Heels." Great scene.
The discussion about the sexual lives of smurfs was classic, I thought.
By the time I got to the end, I was floored. Everything tied together so perfectly, and I couldn't find any loose ends (that is, not until my next viewing of the film). The film literally loops back on itself. You could interpret it any way you like.
Including Gylenhall, the supporting cast is uniformally excellent, especially Mary McDonnell, Jena Malone and surprisingly Patrick Swayze as a hypocritical motivational speaker. The only miscast I thought was Drew Barrymore.

I'd give Donnie Darko a 9/10
Old 03-24-2002, 05:43 PM
I watched it today. Would someone please explain the film to me before I grade it.
Thanks in advance.

Old 03-24-2002, 09:26 PM
I'll do my best mike, everything he did all linked together to create the end of the movie...SPOILERS AHEAD...

Like the letter he sent the old women, caused the old women to get the letter which cause the car to swerve and run over the girl on the ground. Now as for the ending,instead of him living he dies becouse he rolls over and gets hit by the propeler, which as you saw is all connected in the time travel, his family was on the plane that did crash..its all confusing, but seeing how he got hit by the propeller he kept the girl, who he loved from dieing, and she lived, and none of the events following happened, its really a mind blower, its hard to explain in writing. Hope that kind of helped you out.
Old 04-01-2002, 05:04 PM
what a movie to use my 200th post on. I loved it, it had the runner up best cast of 2001 for me, brilliantly acted by the extreamly talented jake g, along with wonderful performances by the supporting characters including (drew barrymore, noah whyle, patrick swayze, jenna malone, and I don't know the name of the mother who might just have given the best supporting performance by a femal this year!)

GO SEE THIS MOVIES, IT IS WORTH THE MONEY!

GOOOOOOOO NOW!

GRADE: 10/10
Old 04-12-2003, 11:18 PM

I rented DONNIE DARKO the week it came out on VHS/DVD and I liked it, it was strangely hypnotic and hauntingly beautiful, yet for some reason I just didn't LOVE it like everyone else and although I had the ending explained to me I still think I'm a little lost. If I watched it again I might end up loving it and maybe I'd actually understand it better, or maybe it's not supposed to make sense. Oh well, for now I'd give it a 7/10 (B-).

And P.S. Jenna Malone kicks ass!!!
Old 04-13-2003, 01:36 AM
I can understand why nearly every schmoe adores this film. Kelly's direction is superb, Gyllenhaal is an interestng young actor, the story is something different, the soundtrack is chalk full of great tunes and it's something you can think about for weeks afterwards.

Lucky for me, I did see all of those things, and was quite impressed, but what bothered me to no end was the fact that, for the most part, it was dull, uninteresting, convoluted and dragged on for way too long for my tastes. I didn't care for any of the characters, not even Donnie, who I could never understand or feel some sort of sympathy for. Drew Barrymore, one of the worst actresses I've ever seen, has no reason to be in this film.

It's not that I didn't understand the film, I did. I just felt nothing for it, not even the 4th time I happened to see it. I'd still recommend, for the direction is realy nice, as is the soundtrack and the story, which goes against the flow of todays' films, which is always a good thing.

When it's all said and done, when ya get pass the style, performances, and if you were entertained, what it really comes down to was if you felt anything. If not, then what's really point?

My final grade is 7/10. Good direction, soundtrack, story, but the film did about as much for me as an anal exam from John Goodman would...
Old 04-13-2003, 03:24 AM
Donnie Darko

No, this movie will not appeal to everyone but while they watch it I bet no one can stop watching until the end.

No other movie has made me feel the way this movie did.

The great use of music and the great build up ( I loved how they used the 20 days remain thing) great acting by the whole cast, Jake Ghyllenhal especially!

I also never thought a bunny could be scary boy was I wrong.

Overall Grade:

10/10 (2nd Favourite movie of all time)
Old 04-13-2003, 06:04 PM
one of the best movies of 2001, and one of my all time favorites as well.
Old 04-13-2003, 07:26 PM
This is an awesome movie. It was really scary, that bunny really freaked me out. Jake's acting was pitch-perfect, and Jena Malone is really very beautiful. I also loved Drew Barrymore in the movie even though she is considered "unimportant." This is the most unique and strange movie of the decade so far and I loved the way it fucked with my head. Had me thinking about it for ages. I didn't TOTALLY dig the time-travel thing but it of course didn't wreck the movie for me at all.

9/10

#15 on top 20 of 2001
Old 04-25-2003, 08:16 AM
I liked this movie (8/10), and while I did understand most of it, I am still somewhat confused about a couple of things.

Firstly, where does Frank come into it? I mean, Donnie kept seeing him in his visions. Did Frank come from the future? If he did, I'm confused about how it was possible considering he was dead (Evident when they are at the cinema and we can see Frank's bloody eye). Since Frank was a real person and not just imaginary, why was he appearing in Donnie's visions and how was it possible? Can somebody please give me some answers.
Old 04-25-2003, 06:02 PM
DONNIE DARKO - (9/10) MY #16 All-time

This movie is so good. I was hearing about this movie from everyone esp. on these boards so I finally decided to download it and loved the heck out of its weird nature and dark comedy. Great flick that shouldnt be missed.