Old 03-11-2001, 03:22 AM
Video Capsule: Final Analysis (7/10)

A movie starring Richard Gere, Kim Basinger and Uma Thurman

Well, color me impressed cause I used to think this movie sucked! I saw this flick again tonite, and there I was, actually getting into it, waiting for the bottom to fall out, but other than the last 10-15 minutes (which just went a little too far), this movie had me pretty riveted!

And since when did Basinger learn to act?!? Wow, quite a performance indeed. And Uma, looking young and innocent before she started taking herself too seriously, and the PERFECT bastard of a husband, played with delight by the always interesting Eric Roberts.

Oh and Richard Gere, you say? Whatever...Gere was Gere...wearing the suit, looking confused most of the time and playing a shrink...or was it a lawyer? Like I said...whatever...

Anyway, for those of you who haven't seen this movie, it's basically a psychological thriller (literally, too). It's about this psychiatrist who falls for a patient's sister, who may or may not have killed her husband. All fun stuff.

Of course, twists lead to turns and surprises ensue. Anyway, like I said, this movie pretty much had me going all the way. I really dug the performances, the story made sense (for the most part) and the surprises were, at least for me, pretty surprising! The VERTIGO connections were also fun...

Sure, I coulda done without David Keith's tough cop chompin' at his toothpick at every chance he got, but overall, I was pretty entertained.

Am I alone in this? Does this movie suck and I not know it... [img]/ubb/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-11-2001, 05:30 PM
This is indeed a weird movie to like.. Let me elaborate a bit.

This is almost the kind of movie you dislike because the cover is soooo bad. I don't mean to come over as shallow, but come on, admit it; how many times did you look at the poster of a movie, or saw the trailer and thought to yourself:'This won't work. This will be a shitty movie.' I had this with Final Analysis..

But I was seriously surprised. Kim Basinger, in my opinion, gives away one of her best performances here, Eric Roberst was very genuinly frightening, the story wasn't that bad at all, hell I was surprised! I always recommend this movie, I've seen worse, right?
Old 04-30-2004, 07:22 PM
Final Analysis - B- - 6.5/10

I really can't make up my mind if I should gave "Final Analysis" a C+ or a B- rating as I also liked this film just for the look of it. To me the cinematography really enchances the quality of the film, despite the storyline which is sometimes sub-standard ("Do you think you can help us? Yeah, I think I can", that's a reply from an educated psychiatrist?) I loved the San Francisco coastline with the ocean and that beautiful old lighthouse, the San Francisco bars and restaurants. Richard Gere is the psychiatrist that falls for the scam of two twisted sisters, Kim Basinger and Uma Thurman. Gere and Basinger do have great chemistry together and Thurman played it smart and went campy. But this is a tired old theme that has been done countless times before, why or why do these smart, intelligent men fall for these women, well, I guess we do know why!!! I also enjoyed the talented supporting cast Eric Roberts as the violent mafia husband, Paul Guilfoyle as Gere's flippant shrink partner, and Keith David as the cop that smells trouble when sees Gere at Basinger's trial. It had a touch of everything, suspense, romance, and courtroom drama. The visual appeal help to make this film enjoyable.