Old 11-12-2007, 02:10 PM
Bay Of Blood. It was the crappy Scimitar release of it though so I didn't enjoy it as much as I probably would've.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:51 PM
ILS -9/10 I'd like to thank the arrow for pointing me to this one that didnt dissapoint, I wasn't scared but boy was my heart racing. And the best (or worst?) thing is that it's somewhat based on true events, this is one of those, it could happen to you, situations that makes it all much scarier.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:13 PM
New York Ripper - 8/10
Old 11-12-2007, 07:38 PM
saw 2
first time viewing-7/10
re-watch-4/10

Donnie wahlbergs cop eric matthews will go down in history as the dumbest cop in movies.As we watch him bumble his way through this movie.

We think the writers would of made him less of a emotional person.with a habit of talking over people and fist slammin when if he only would shut up and listern he might actually have made head way in this case.Mostly when jigsaw says lines like"your son is in a SAFE place." dramatic pause or if he actually looked around jigsaws place he would notice props from inside the house were the people are trapped.

Or if he and his 2 swat team members actually searched this Warehouse they might of found that theres a elevator,instead of standing around in the one room.But whatever its a horror movie wouldn`t be much of a movie if they solved the case and saved the day.But then again all of this came to me on second viewing which wrecked my enjoyment for this movie.Like when his son says to shawnee smiths character 'my dads a cop' she pauses and gives him a look.plus the fact she goes from room to room picking up random items.

Plus was that john fallon playing one of the swat team?.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:48 AM

Well this certainly is a classic film isn't it? I need a brush up on the sequels though. I can't imagine them not being pointless but they may be fun still.

Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:24 PM
28 weeks later: 4/5

if you can count it...Death Proof 2.5/5...I loved the ending but over all it was too slow in building up.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:02 AM

Not quite as good as I was expecting. It starts off great but I felt the second half really brought it down. I feel it's a step down in comparison to Psycho.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:08 PM
Some things I've watched over the past few weeks:

Halloween II 7/10

I gave Halloween II another try and I enjoyed it more this time around than the first time I saw it years ago. I think part of my problem back then was that I had watched it pretty closely after seeing Halloween for the first time, and I was probably disappoint that it didn't measure up the high caliber of the first one. Anyway, I had more fun watching it this time around, even though I was reminded of the flaws I noticed before, such as how the pacing drags a bit here and there. And quibbles about how Michael is about to perform certain tasks and kills (well, one kill, anyway) he shouldn't know how to do considering he'd been in a nearly catatonic state in a mental ward since he was four-years-old. Things like knowing how to cut the power off of the hospital (and, apparently, their back-up generators.) Oh, pesky logic sometimes does get in the way! Still, as I say, I enjoyed it overall.

The Sentinel 8/10

Freaky movie! I had a bit of a problem following the plot here and there, and some things didn't quite make sense when everything's all added up. But still, a good, scary movie with a great cast and very interesting premise and story that's well-told. I always like seeing Christopher Walken in his younger, handsome days, but Jeff Goldbaum didn't quite seem like his usual quirky self for some reason.

The Faculty 7/10

All around fun movie. Not really innovative and I think they made some of their calls too early. As in, referring to Casey as Sigourney Weaver, which sounded too random when it happened. And while it was easy to spot the villain, and the over-all plot is kind of predictable, a lot of individual scenes and scenarios weren't. I really enjoyed this one - the terrific cast helps a lot. Odd that I found it in the "Action" section of the video store.

Motel Hell 7/10

I didn't know what to expect when I sat down to watch this, since I didn't know anything about it except it's on my must-see B-Horror movies list. So, I didn't expect to be laughing so much or to marvel at such an imaginative approach to modern day cannibalism. Rory Calhoun hits all the right notes, as such a charming, sincere and old-fashioned gentlemen and Nancy Parson is terrific as the nutty Ida. What a team! The plot holes didn't ruin the fun while I watched it, at least not until the third act - the weakest part of the movie. And while I loved the dueling chainsaw gag, it went on a little too long. But, in light of everything else good about the movie, those things are forgivable.

Resident Evil: Extinction 5/10

Mad Max meets Day of the Dead. And not in a good way. I hate to cry "rip-off" but it certainly isn't a homage to Day when part of the plot involves the head scientist working to "tame" zombies by experimenting on them. And displaying his results with a zombie who recognizes everyday objects. I liked the caravan scenes as they had a nice sense of desperation to them and featured Oded Fehr. In the third act comes mayhem, parts of it is exciting but mostly it's silly. Sometimes, after Alice used her powers, Milla Jovovich would get a look in her eyes that reminded me of Leeloo, only that made me wish I was watching The Fifth Element instead.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:50 PM

Hmmm... interesting choices.

Halloween 2 - Does this mean that you will venture on and give Season of the Witch a chance?

The Sentinel - This is one I have really been wanting to see lately. It sounds very interesting.

The Faculty - THE THING for teenagers but it was a pretty fun film. I saw it before I saw THE THING so at the time I couldn't draw the comparisons.

Motel Hell - I must be the only person on this board who has seen Motel Hell and didn't find it funny. Found it to be a bore.

Resident Evil 2 - Total waste of my time and money. The sole reason why I didn't even bother going to see RE3. Are all these quick cuts and edits supposed to get me into the action? BLAH!

Old 11-14-2007, 01:39 PM
Hostel 2 with the Eli Roth Director commentary...

...i already miss halloween and all the horror movies they were showing on tv...sure they were edited but it was fun watching them when there was nothing else on...
Old 11-14-2007, 04:41 PM
finally got to watch my fav movie again, Session 9. And then i pissed cause i can't find the listing for who did the voice for Simon anywhere
Old 11-14-2007, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teenkiller View Post
Hmmm... interesting choices.

Halloween 2 - Does this mean that you will venture on and give Season of the Witch a chance?

The Sentinel - This is one I have really been wanting to see lately. It sounds very interesting.

The Faculty - THE THING for teenagers but it was a pretty fun film. I saw it before I saw THE THING so at the time I couldn't draw the comparisons.

Motel Hell - I must be the only person on this board who has seen Motel Hell and didn't find it funny. Found it to be a bore.

Resident Evil 2 - Total waste of my time and money. The sole reason why I didn't even bother going to see RE3. Are all these quick cuts and edits supposed to get me into the action? BLAH!

Yes for Halloween 3, one of these days! Oh, yeah, don't bother with RE3 - what's really scary about it is at the end, there's a definite threat of another sequel! Pray it ain't so!!

I've been tempted to do a "favorite Chris Sarandon horror movie role" poll, so you'd better see The Sentinel before I decide to!
Old 11-14-2007, 05:51 PM
Resident Evil has gone off on such a random tangent i cant even comprehend where theyre planning to take any more installments.

youd think, after "apocalypse," wed already be "extinct," but no.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:57 PM
House of Wax(1953) 9/10
Really great film. I was surprised because I don't usually like movies that old. It's not really scary, pretty creepy though. The effects with the fire and the wax figures burning and melting was done really well. The story moved along pretty smoothly too. And Vincent Price was excellent.

An American Haunting 5/10
The story had potential in the begining. Then it all went down hill from there. Really not scary at all. The most I was scared was when Betsy's hair was being pulled by an unseen force. The period costumes and sets were done very well atleast. Donald Sutherland was ok. Overall I was very dissapointed in this film. This is the lowest rating I've given a movie since I joined JoBlo.

In the Mouth of Madness 7/10
Good film overall. Sam Neal is great. I liked the way the story was told with the flashbacks and all. I loved that black church, that was cool. The actress who played Styles (Julie Carmen) was a tad boring. I enjoyed seeing John Glover as Saperstien. I didn't get the point of the little gang of creepy hell children. I thought the guy wrote adult fiction. Why would children be drawn to him? Oh well, maybe it was explained and I missed it. Either way the film was pretty good.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikabi View Post
Yes for Halloween 3, one of these days! Oh, yeah, don't bother with RE3 - what's really scary about it is at the end, there's a definite threat of another sequel! Pray it ain't so!!

I've been tempted to do a "favorite Chris Sarandon horror movie role" poll, so you'd better see The Sentinel before I decide to!
Heh heh. Beat you to it a few weeks ago. And yes, The Sentinel was among those listed. Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:02 AM

The Hitchcock train continues to push onwards. There is still one major one that I'm looking to track down though. The Birds was another interesting contribution to the genre. Good job Alfie!

Old 11-15-2007, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teenkiller View Post
Heh heh. Beat you to it a few weeks ago. And yes, The Sentinel was among those listed. Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.
Whoops! I should've figured you'd do that already!
Old 11-15-2007, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamcurls View Post
House of Wax(1953) 9/10
Really great film. I was surprised because I don't usually like movies that old. It's not really scary, pretty creepy though. The effects with the fire and the wax figures burning and melting was done really well. The story moved along pretty smoothly too. And Vincent Price was excellent.
Another House of Wax fan! I love that movie. The more Vincent Price movies I see, the more of him I want to see. He was truly great!
Old 11-15-2007, 04:14 PM
The Last Winter - 10/10
This is all kinds of awesome.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:40 PM
Cronos, I'm all kinds of a-titter anticipating this movie. You have no idea.

Last movie I watched...

HAROLD AND MAUDE! Which is definitely horror (having to listen to Cat Stevens for that long constitutes torture, in fact). And its a solid 10.

If not.. I guess the lackluster REVERB (4/10)
Old 11-15-2007, 05:27 PM
Still catching up with things I've seen over the past few weeks.

The Last Broadcast 6/10

I would have given this a higher score but for the ending which feels as though it comes out of thin air without a clue given to the viewers for us to look back and see how it got from here to there. This is actually the second time I've seen this movie. The first time came from flipping channels and stopping on it - after the film's title. So, for a while I really believed I was watching a documentary (yes, I can be gullible!) until, at some point, it dawned on me that it was a movie. But the whole documentary-movie thing works well and had me hooked until the WTF ending. I figured I missed something by missing the first ten minutes or so the first time I saw it, but no. Anyway, I didn't even know the title of the movie until I read something accusing The Blair Witch Project of ripping it off (they didn't.)

The Innocents 9/10

I've read that this is considered one of the definitive adaptations of Henry James' "Turn of the Screw," but it does have it's own twist. Are the ghosts real or a product of the overwrought imagination of Miss Giddeons (Deborah Kerr), the governess of two strange and sometimes creepy children? This is a superb psychological horror film that really works on the mind and leaves the viewers to decide for themselves the truth of the matter. Perhaps it was scarier to its audiences in its day, but it still has the power to raise goosebumbs with its chilling atmosphere, fascinating, disturbing story, and terrific performances - most notably by child actor Martin Stephens (who also creeped me out in The Village of the Damned.) Little wonder he was the Freddie Highmore of his day.

Severance 8/10

This is a strange mix: comedy movie that turns into a horror movie early into the second act. It's main flaw is that once the horror kicks in, the occasional comedy bit is tossed in, but rather than helping to lighten things up, it throws off the mood or the pace. Because the horror part of it is awfully good. Then again, so it the comedy beginning, which allows us to get to know the characters in a fun way, and, therefore, start to care about them. Then when things do become horrific, I, at least, felt bad for the character caught up in the horror. I got a bit teary when one of my favorites didn't make it. The movie ended on a right note, being a bit funny, sad, and triumphant at the same time.

Subject Two 7/10

This movie is not going to appeal everyone. It moves at a leisurely pace that may tax the patience of some; it's a character-driven piece, so if you don't like the characters, you're not going to like the movie; and there's not much action. I liked the characters and found it an interesting take on the Frankenstein theme with its "mad scientist" attempting to conquer death by re-animating a dead man. Several times. Which is where the horror lies, as his "subject two," becomes less human with each re-animation, although he doesn't become a monster. It becomes pretty freaky when we find out what happened to "Subject One."
Old 11-15-2007, 09:35 PM

5/10
Old 11-16-2007, 10:04 PM

9/10
Old 11-17-2007, 12:34 AM
Meatball Machine ('05) - 4/10
Old 11-17-2007, 03:09 AM

7/10
love the ending.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:53 AM
When I was a kid, I actually had a crush on Lou Diamond Phillips from that movie..

then I grew up and understood the concept of washed up actors, and I quickly got over it...

I lucked out this weekend:

ISOLATION 2005 (8/10)
THE LIVING AND THE DEAD 2006 (9/10) - sorry to post such a huge picture, but the cover itself warrants a viewing. This is truly one of the best horror movies I've seen in a long time.

Old 11-17-2007, 05:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikabi View Post
Another House of Wax fan! I love that movie. The more Vincent Price movies I see, the more of him I want to see. He was truly great!
ditto. i have yet to see one of Mr. Price's movie I haven't liked. the last man on earth wasn't the greatest film, but Vincent was worth it.

What did you think of my thoughts on In the Mouth of Madness? I still don't get the point of the liitle gang of children in Hobs End.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:06 AM
Army of Darkness 9/10 rewatch
Oh where do I even begin? I've always loved this film. Made me a fan of Bruce Campbell for life. There are just so many utterly fantastic one-liners in this movie! And no one can deliver them quite like Bruce as Ash!
Old 11-17-2007, 05:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorrick brown View Post

7/10
love the ending.
"How's the stomach buddy boy?"
Old 11-17-2007, 07:55 AM

Pretty bad, the Halloween rhyme was plain annoying, as was the baddie, the last 20 minutes appeared to be entertaining until that fucking stupid ending, I screamed at my telly - 4/10
Old 11-17-2007, 12:04 PM
They Crawl - 7/10
Old 11-17-2007, 01:11 PM
Isolation 05 - 8.5/10

It's better the first time around.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:15 PM
Demoni 2 it was ok not as good as the first
Old 11-17-2007, 01:36 PM
Quote:
What did you think of my thoughts on In the Mouth of Madness? I still don't get the point of the liitle gang of children in Hobs End.
To be honest, I'm going to have to give that film another watch, as it didn't really stay with me the first time around. But you have my curiosity up about the kids (I do remember kids being there.) I'll get back to you!
Old 11-17-2007, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Army of Darkness 9/10 rewatch
Oh where do I even begin? I've always loved this film. Made me a fan of Bruce Campbell for life. There are just so many utterly fantastic one-liners in this movie! And no one can deliver them quite like Bruce as Ash!
I tripped over this on TV a long, long time ago. I thought it was the strangest thing I've ever seen and one of the funniest. And it lead me backwards to find the Evil Dead movies thanks to Bruce (and it didn't hurt that I remembered that Roger Egert loved Evil Dead II.)
Old 11-17-2007, 03:15 PM
The Vanishing (Spoorloos) 8/10

This is a slow-movie horror, and it could be debatable whether it's a horror movie at all except that the ending certainly fits the bill. I love the opening shot of a stick-bug, as if the director is telling us not everything's what it seems to be. Certainly not the mild-manner killer and devoted family man who doesn't think twice about filling a drawer full of spiders in order to frighten his daughter and make her scream. All to see if his neighbors of his remote mountain cabin can hear screams coming from it. The movie's a deep inspection of the nature of obsession and probably won't appeal to everyone. Those who've seen the American remake will have a lot of this movie spoiled for them, even though Spoorloos is quite different in its own way, especially the ending, and, overall a better film. From a foreigner's (mine) perspective, I felt lost for a while. I knew it was a Dutch film, but there's a lot of French spoken along with Dutch, and a lot of it takes place in France. That confused me geographically, since I expected that it would mostly take place in the Netherlands. But as I got my compass set right, I began to wonder if some of this film had to do with cultural issues between the Dutch and the French. Something about having the radio broadcast of the Tour de France repeatedly playing might have something to do with it, along with a couple of other things.

Warlock 8/10

I've been looking for a good, witchy movie and this one fits the bill pretty well. Granted, I prefer my witches and warlocks to have to do things like making potions and spewing out rhymes to make spells and there's only a bit of that sort of thing going in this movie. Most of the time, the Warlock brings forth power from himself and becomes super-strong or shots fiery electricity from his hands. The special effects are a little dated, including the flying scenes. But that's forgivable in light of it's terrific script and acting. Julian Sands plays the Warlock with such a sexy wickedness that it should put several screen vampires to shame (that's supposed to be their specialty, after all!) '80's girl Lori Singer is on the money, and Richard E. Grant is just right as Redferne, with his mix of comic bemusement and unhindered determination. I enjoyed this one immensely.

Welcome To The Jungle 7/10

This is thought of as Cannibal Holocaust "Lite," with its cinema verite on-the-fly documentary style but with no animals killed for no reason except for my "viewing pleasure." Fine by me. Jonathan Hensleigh, the director fully acknowledges that he was heavily influenced by Holocaust, and, since it had been about three decades since a cannibal movie had been made of this sort, he decided it was for another one to be made.

Things start off leisurely but interesting as we get to know the two couples who decide to go off into the jungles of Irian Jaya (a region of western New Guinea of Indonesian territory) in search, of all people, Michael C. Rockefeller, who had been lost and missing since 1961 and presumed dead. It becomes obvious it is they're not cut out for the job. Basically we learn that one couple are two pretty reasonable, good folks with their ethical/moral compasses in good working order. The other couple are a couple of boorish, obnoxious partiers and more than likely alcoholics who wouldn't know what an ethical/moral compass is. They set-up the standard question of who are the real barbarians - them or the cannibal tribes people.

The bickering and fighting between the two pairs during the jungle trek gets tiresome to the point that I felt I might as well be watching an episode of "Survivor." Yet just after things devolve to this level, I got the first glimpse of a Shadow Warrior partly hidden in the trees and my heart began to race with real fright. Oh yes, when the third act kicks in, so does the horror, and it's truly chilling, disturbing, scary stuff. It makes the long set-up really worth it.

The Resurrected 7/10

An adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft's "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward." While it's set-up as a detective-mystery story, it's a true horror. It's main failing is John Terry's performance in that he doesn't pull off the cynical nature of his character very well. And it does tend to drag in places. What makes up for these things are the fascinating story, the gruesome, creepy monstrosities, and Chris Sarandon's performance. This is my favorite Sarandon performance as he moves from playing things low key to chewing the scenery when it calls for it. His Charles Dexter Ward/Joseph Curwen is more frightening than any of the monsters he creates.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:35 PM
Saw IV - 8/10
Tokyo Psycho - 3/10

Last edited by Cronos; 11-17-2007 at 05:43 PM..
Old 11-17-2007, 07:42 PM

4/10
if you want to see a cool movie with killer lions rent ghost and the darkness.

THE PREY 7/10
i love the tagline'its not human its just a axe' classic.the usual 80`s horror group of teens head into the wood only to be killed of one by one.theres a few boring scenes well alot but it gets a high rating for its scary ending

edit

side note i wanted the 80`s one but got the lion one 1st so i watch that and then swapped.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drugs and hugs View Post
saw 2
first time viewing-7/10
re-watch-4/10

Donnie wahlbergs cop eric matthews will go down in history as the dumbest cop in movies.As we watch him bumble his way through this movie.
B-but . . . he beat the shit out of Jigsaw! That scene kicked fucking ass!

Quote:
4/10
if you want to see a cool movie with killer lions rent ghost and the darkness.
Holy crap, someone else saw "Pray"? I gave it the same rating . . . but the lions were gorgeous.

Anyway! I'm watching "Silent Hill" for the trillionth time. Fucking awesome.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:02 PM

Decoys 2: The Second Seduction - I watched the first one last year and was semi surprised with how entertaining it was. Unfortunately I didn't get the same feeling from this one. It was a little harder to sit through and I'm glad I didn't end up buying it. Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.