Old 11-16-2001, 02:29 PM
Reviews: Charlie's Angels

JoBlo's 8/10 review of CHARLIE'S ANGELS can be found here: http://www.joblo.com/charliesangels.htm
Your past movie reviews from May 1998 - November 2001 can be found there as well.

And what did you think of the movie? Add your comments below.

GUIDELINES: CONSTRUCTIVE REVIEWS ONLY!

1) If you haven't seen the movie, don't post here, because it will be deleted.
2) If you add two-bit comments like "it rocked" or "it sucked the big one" or just a grade, it will be deleted.
3) If you insult anyone from the board in your post, it will be deleted and you will receive a warning from the board. A second warning and you will be banned altogether. You can disagree with others all you want but no putdowns are necessary to make your points.

In order for others to know whether or not you would recommend the movie, please click on the desired icon of your choice when posting:

Recommended =
Not recommended =
In the middle =
Old 11-16-2001, 11:19 PM
CHARLIE'S ANGELS (2000) Rating: 8/10

Man, this movie is cool! People will tell you it's an overblown T&A flick, a popcorn movie with way too much topping, basically, trash. Well, of course it's trash! This is Charlie's Angels, not Citizen Kane! It's just like 1999s The Spy Who Shagged Me, which also entertained millions with a derivative, over the top pop culture hybrid of comedy, action and sex, with lotsa bright colors and non stop music. You can just see the studio executives sitting in their offices, and figuring they could score with a big screen remake of Aaron Spelling's late 70s, early 80s female spy show. So they brought in 14 writers to cook up something resembling a script, hired a music video director and cast three hot Hollywood stars. Okay, this all sounds like a pretty dreadful, shamelessly commercial dud, but somehow this ends up being one of the most mindlessly fun Hollywood pictures I've seen all year.

It probably has a lot to do with the three leads and the way they really seem to be having a great time being in this movie and playing the boys' game. First there's the rebellious, spunky Dylan, portrayed by Drew Barrymore (who's also one of the movie's producers), who seems to always be perfecting her flirtatious ways more with every movie. She's got that special something that makes her unique, a balance of childish enthusiasm and very womanly sexuality. Like, she's not a conventional beauty, you know, she's often kinda geeky and all, but that's part of her charm. Next up is hard-boiled Alex, played by Lucy Liu. It's nice to see her loosen up a little, after her stiff non-role as Princess Pepe in Shanghai Noon. Here, she's doing something along the lines of her dominatrix role in Payback and her Ling on Ally McBeal, you know, the gorgeous bitch who uses her sexuality to manipulate men. Last but not least is Natalie, brought to jolly life by the adorable Cameron Diaz. I mean, I don't think any other actress has so often made me go 'whoa!' But, of course, you haven't lived until you've watched Diaz shake her booty in 100% cotton Spider-Man Underoos.

So there, you've got this three-babe crime-fighting elite team, and this movie is like a $100 million amusement park for them to have fun a' plenty, entertaining us with good humor, wild action and sexy titillation. There's a plot somewhere in there, but obviously it ain't the main attraction and we're spared any tedious exposition. All we need to know is transmitted to us and the Angels at the same time when they're given instructions by Charlie (voiced by John Forsythe), the mysterious millionaire who employs them and only speaks to them through a tacky speaker phone, and through his right hand man Bosley (Bill Murray).

The plot is just an excuse for the rest. Like the numerous scenes in which the Angels go undercover as, say masseuses, or belly dancers, or as a scantily clad trio of telegram yodeling German nymphs - anything so they can dress up sexy and goof around. There's also a great deal of kung fu action in the movie, and even though it's all ripped right off The Matrix, this isn't necessarily a bad thing. You can expect mucho unbelievable flip, kick, jump, jive and wail, with nifty camera tricks and even a little "bullet time". Oh, and if you liked Schwarzenegger and Cameron's True Lies, this is another movie that's been robbed blindly here, most visibly in Barrymore's escape from the baddies and in the helicopter scene. Then again, despite that it's all been done before, it's still a riot to see these kick ass, macho things done by Diaz, Barrymore and Liu. Girl Power!

As directed by newcomer McG, Charlie's Angels is a real mess, but that's somehow what makes it so damn fun: you never know what's coming next. It might be race cars playing chicken on a bridge, or a hilarious cameo by Tom Green as "the Chad", an insecure dude who lives on a boat, or Luke Wilson taking Cameron Diaz out to Soul Train so she can get funky or whatnot. And throughout, McG keeps it fast, funny and explosive, all eye candy and awesome music (everything from Korn's Blind to Prodigy's Smack My Bitch Up to various 80s pop and just any song with 'angel' in the title). Go rent this movie. You know you want to.
Old 11-17-2001, 11:10 AM
It's pretty stupid, but I guess "Charlie's Angels" is sort of amusing in a mindless sort of way. You have to admit those chicks were pretty hot! Not a good film, but great viewing when you're drunk or stoned.

5/10.
Old 05-02-2003, 11:37 PM

Charlie's Angels Surprisingly cool!

I didn't think I'd could sit through an action flick with just chicks fighting. The trailer looked too cheesy. Then a friend at school told me about the T+A in the movie, I decided I might give it a go. Well, I blown away. Not only by the five-star T+A, but by the movie and acting itself, ok, it is quite cheesy like the trailer proved, but the acting is quite good itself. Definitely a fun, popcorn muching movie. Definitely gonna see Full Throttle this July (in NZ). 8/10
Old 05-27-2003, 08:33 PM
The only highlights of this movie were the T & A and Bill Murray as Bosley. Everything else was mediocre at best.

Although this is supposed to be one of those movies where you "leave your brain at the door", it was just incredibly stupid to me. It's just Matrix-style fight scenes and explosions. It is supposed to be fun, but to me it was dumb and tiresome. Another thing that bugged me about this movie was that it was so "hollywoodized". The celebrity cameos, hard rock music, and action made this nothing but a cash-in movie. I also thought the bad guys were incredibly lame as well. Sorry, but having your bad guys in a movie look "cool" by puffing a cigarette in style, and holding a gun like it's "cool", does not make it cool! But Bill Murray, he was HILLARIOUS as Bosley. He delivered his lines with such cleverness, which made him a great comic relief. And the T & A, yum! Loved Cameron Diaz in a bikini, and in a tight bodysuit, gimme a hell yeah! But other than that, this movie pretty much was nothing special. Mediocre at best in my opinion. As for the sequel, it looks nowhere near as good IMHO.
4.5/10

Last edited by Tom Samborski; 05-27-2003 at 08:36 PM..