Old 09-05-2002, 01:06 PM
If a movie star can smoke pot...so could I!!

A pretty interesting article, me thinks. What do you guys think of this theory. Here's the blurb according to IMDb:

Matt Damon: 'I Smoked Pot With My Parents'

Matt Damon has confessed his parents let him smoke cannabis with them when he was a teenager, to discourage him from abusing the drug. The Oscar-winner - who grew up in a community house with his mother, child psychologist Nancy Carlsson-Paige and stepfather - happily confesses having used the drug in the past, adding that his early experiences were intended to help him form a sensible attitude towards drug use. Damon told British broadcaster Johnny Vaughan's BBC chat show Johnny Vaughan Tonight, "The first time I smoked was at home with my mother and step-father. They were like, 'If you are going to do this, we'd rather you did this with us.'"

[This message has been edited by JoBlo (edited 09-05-2002).]
Old 09-05-2002, 01:14 PM
And?

Sorry if that sounds a little trite, but my whole family use cannabis except me. It's wahat made my friends so keen to come around my house. I personally hate the stuff but do not believe for a second that it had any effect on me as a person growing up. Matter of fact, I was at my parents house for a BBQ on Sunday and they all partook of the herb, passing it back and forth, careful to miss me out.

So you know, my father is a retired paramedic and my mother is a social work manager -- just in case you make the mistake of thinking we're not an 'average' family.
Old 09-05-2002, 01:15 PM
i agree with bias. that was how i was raised, but the difference is that I'm not well-known and rich, so i can't as easily say, "it worked for me!" it's cool that damon came forward about this. it took lots of guts, and will hopefully open the eyes of some conservatives.

parents and children should be totally honest with one another. imo, that is what's wrong with the world. everyone is too paranoid of what others will think, and/or afraid they will get into trouble.

Old 09-05-2002, 01:23 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Reigh Kaufman:
And?

I think it's a big deal that he made this statement.

So you know, my father is a retired paramedic and my mother is a social work manager -- just in case you make the mistake of thinking we're not an 'average' family.

the reason it's a big deal is the same reason you felt it necessary to tack on that your family is normal.

people just don't understand like we do.

pot doesn't demotivate people! watching tv does.

heh - reminds me of jackie brown

(not excact quotes...)

- "pot takes away your aspirations"
- "not if you aspire to get high and watch tv."
Old 09-05-2002, 01:31 PM
I wanna be Matt Damon.
Old 09-05-2002, 01:32 PM
It's not really a big deal, though, is it?

Pot is the worst kept secret in the world. I know a billion people who do it, ranging from actors to lawyers and doctors. Hell, I've sat and watched them skinning up. It's only a big deal, in this context, because it's Matt Damon -- and Matt Damon wasn't always famous.

That means that before he was Matt Damon the 'A'-list movie-star, he was Matt Damon the ordinary guy on the street who just happened to use pot. I wouldn't change my lifestyle in accordance with what people view as the 'right' way to behave, and neither should he. In fact, him and McConaughey should unite and form a bongo band! That would be awesome - the Bongo Movie Stars From Space!

Old 09-05-2002, 01:37 PM
You gotta have pretty stupid parents to willing offer their children a drug that kills off their braincells. In addition, studies have proven that marijuana has more cancer causing substances than cigarettes. Studies have shown that someone who smokes 5 joints a week may be taking in as many cancer causing chemicals as someone who smokes a pack a day.

Sorry for getting preachy there, but in my opinion a drug is a drug, hell I don't even take Advil. This story sickens, saddens and disgusts me.

[This message has been edited by The Shadow (edited 09-05-2002).]
Old 09-05-2002, 01:40 PM
Well, coming from a recovering drug addict...So what? Cannabis is as innocuous a drug as alcohol. Less dangerous, actually. And it is much less dangerous than harder drugs. People who smoke weed don't go out and rob to get it. Weed smoking is the unspoken pastime of this country. He's saying it, which I guess is good. But everybody already knows it.
Old 09-05-2002, 01:43 PM
Well, the Shadow, as I've said - I don't use drugs but experimented with everything and nothing was as good as my own buzz. That said, I do strongly believe that if it's here on God's Earth and doesn't have to be chemically tampered with to make it a 'drug' thenit can't be wrong. Sure, medicinal opiates and so on are acceptable, but making cocaine from cocoa leaves is wrong. Marijuana, on the other hand, can be plucked ripe from the plant and to say it's wrong is a moral issue way beyond what we talk about here.
Old 09-05-2002, 01:45 PM
Grebdron

Do right, man. Well done.

Old 09-05-2002, 01:45 PM
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Reigh Kaufman:
Well, the Shadow, as I've said - I don't use drugs but experimented with everything and nothing was as good as my own buzz. That said, I do strongly believe that if it's here on God's Earth and doesn't have to be chemically tampered with to make it a 'drug' thenit can't be wrong. Sure, medicinal opiates and so on are acceptable, but making cocaine from cocoa leaves is wrong. Marijuana, on the other hand, can be plucked ripe from the plant and to say it's wrong is a moral issue way beyond what we talk about here.</font>
Actually cocaine comes from coca leaves, not cocoa leaves. And natives who were around the plants used to chew on them for the stimulation they provided, so cocaine is natural. It makes people do demonic things, but it is natural.

Old 09-05-2002, 01:47 PM
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Reigh Kaufman:
Grebdron

Do right, man. Well done.

</font>
Ten months next week. I've been using drugs of one kind or another since I was 7 years old. I've never been sober for ten days in my life, let alone ten months. Thanks for the kind words.

Old 09-05-2002, 01:47 PM
Grebdron

I've changed my mind...drugs make you pedantic and should be avoided at all costs(heh-heh).

Still, we are the coolest pimpin' Schmoes on the boards!
Old 09-05-2002, 01:48 PM
Jeez, Joblo really does support drug use and abuse. Because I mindlessly clicked on this topic I am now going to go out and blaze up a dooby with my buddies. This site has warped my fragile little mind.

Ok getting past the sarcasm, so what if Matt Damon smoked weed, join the crowd! I bet that more people have smoked it then who havent. I fall into the havent category, but every single on of my friends is in the 'have' category. So far in life I have chosen not too, does this mean I will someday? Who knows.
"You said you haven't seen Evil Dead, YET. The fact that you said 'yet' implies that you might see it in the future." By the way, High Fidelity is a great flick, which has nothing to do with this topic except for the quote I just posted because it fits my situation, I havent smoked weed, yet. Does this mean someday I will? Like I said I dont know.
Old 09-05-2002, 01:55 PM
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by The Shadow:
You gotta have pretty stupid parents to willing offer their children a drug that kills off their braincells. In addition, studies have proven that marijuana has more cancer causing substances than cigarettes. Studies have shown that someone who smokes 5 joints a week may be taking in as many cancer causing chemicals as someone who smokes a pack a day.

Sorry for getting preachy there, but in my opinion a drug is a drug, hell I don't even take Advil. This story sickens, saddens and disgusts me.

[This message has been edited by The Shadow (edited 09-05-2002).]
</font>

When I was a kid my parents had me smoke a cigarette so I wouldn't do it when I was older.

I don't think it's a big deal if parents have their kids do this. I don't think it's wrong. In some cases it works and in some it doesn't. When you are a kid most likely you will find that stuff gross so when you try it you won't like it, therefore you might never try it again. It's really not a bad theory. It doesn't always work out that way though but it's worth a shot. When a friend of mine was a kid her parents had her try beer and she hated it, and now she doesn't drink alcohol at all.

Doing this once with your kids isn't going to kill a bunch of braincells, it's no worse than breathing the pollution filled air.
Old 09-05-2002, 01:55 PM
Jackson13

Did you say you used and abused drugs before or after you went out and bought that shirt?

Just ribbing you, dude. You know I've always got your back.
Old 09-05-2002, 02:00 PM
I think it's an important comment. I don't use drugs, I tried them once last March and hated them, so I don't do them anymore. I don't like not being in control. That's why I don't drink anymore either. But, I think that if people can do it safely, without harming others, it should absolutely be legal. Studies have shown that cannabis is less dangerous than alcohol, and that is legal. I think that cannabis should be sold in special stores with alcohol, only to people over 19, and only in very small amounts. If marijuana was legal, organized crime would shrink, at least temporarily. It was important for Damon to come forward with this.
Old 09-05-2002, 02:07 PM
If weed was legal, just think about how mellow and cool this country would be. Nothing would bother anyone. "Terrorists attacked the country." "Really man, thats wild, gimme another hit bitch." Tv ratings would be through the roof, farmers would become millionaires, grocery stores would be popping up on every block along with video stores and your local wacky tobaccy dealer.

By the way Riegh, the only thing I abused before I bought that shirt were 3 men named Mr. Daniels, Mr. Cuervo and a Mr. Bud Weiser.
Old 09-05-2002, 02:24 PM
I just thought that you all might find it interesting that a senate committee recently recommended to the government of Canada to decriminalize marijuana and that the federal government may deal with it this upcoming fall.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/common/Committ...s=1&comm_id=85
Old 09-05-2002, 02:36 PM
They should just decriminialize it period. So many people use it now, it's unbelieveable. Your average drug dealer gets more time in jail then your average murderer.As for Matt Damon's parent's smoking pot with him, woo hoo. Big deal
Old 09-05-2002, 02:42 PM
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jackson13:
I bought that shirt were 3 men named Mr. Daniels, Mr. Cuervo and a Mr. Bud Weiser.</font>
ah... the three wise men.

actually that's a real drink -- jack, jim beam, and johnny walker: 3 wise men

Hey shadow -- you should go start a committee to keep Catholics from sharing wine with their kids. you know, alcohol kills brain cells too.

and actually, it's been shown that the radiation from a computer monitor kills brain cells. You better abstain from your computer too, shadow, if loosing brain cells bothers you.

This just in: #1 killer in America - Fatty foods.

Better get disgusted by parents buying their kids Happy Meals.

no disrespect. there are lots of reasons to dislike drugs, and to not respect drug users. i don't subscribe to the brain cell theory though, because in that case, you should also be upset when stupid people breed. THAT is child abuse.

anyway - forget Pro-Pot, and Anti-Pot. What this country needs more of is a well churned melting pot. The US gov't needs to stir that stuff and start preventing the immigrants, and new-gerations from sticking to the bottom!

reigh, you have to admit that there is a difference between Matt Damon (acadamy award winner, well-respected) talking about pot, then with you or I, or even gary Coleman talking about it. Image is everything, and the image of pot is low.

that bongo band would rock though. add woody harrelson on steal drums.....

murderer.As for Matt Damon's parent's smoking pot with him, woo hoo. Big deal

wrath -- why would you say? why do you not think it is a big deal? because we've seen it?

[This message has been edited by BubbaStrangelove (edited 09-05-2002).]
Old 09-05-2002, 03:11 PM
See, it's basically a moot argument. Even if your parents try to hide society's ills from you, you are going to find out about it. And anybody that wants drugs, can get drugs. The war on drugs is a joke, perpetuated to keep those in that business employed. The problem will not go away, period. I don't care what anybody says, it will not go away. Drugs are available, plain and simple. People that want to use them will use them, plain and simple. The wisest thing for our government to do is to decriminalize it, profit from it, and use those profits to educate those at risk of becoming users. Anybody who thinks we need to continue to lock up users is ignorant to the fact that it will not stop them from using. It is so widespread that it will never be curtailed. And if a person wants to continue sending themself downhill who the fuck are we to stop them. As long as they are not hurting anybody else, let them. And the only reason anybody hurts anybody else to get them is because the government has made them dangerous to get. I could argue this forever, so I'll stop.
Old 09-05-2002, 03:28 PM
I wonder how many people I know are smoking pot without my knowing? Do any of my teachers indulge? One time I had this biology professor who looks like some aged ex-hippie, he's probably a good candidate. My parents have no idea that I do it sometimes, if they found out they'd have heart attacks.

It's an open secret that just about everyone is doing it nowadays. Sometimes I'm at my friend's place and we light up a bong and pass it around without a second thought. I don't even think about getting caught or anything, it's just what we do.
Old 09-05-2002, 03:34 PM
More people than you think are smoking pot. I've personally smoked with policemen, firemen, military officers, lawyers, pilots, ceo's etc. It is widespread.
Old 09-05-2002, 04:33 PM
I agree 100% with the fact that fatty foods are the number 1 killer in america. When I was in the 5th grade my dad had a heart attack, he was 40 years old. The doc said he needed to start eating better, and so for about 2 months after the heart attack and surgery, my family ate some of the greatest meals ever cooked. But my mom got tired of cooking all these healthy meals all the time and she and my dad started frequenting Mickey D's all the time. My mom used to go to a fitness club, and was very in shape and healthy. Once she got addicted to McDonalds cheeseburgers and fries, that was no more. 4 years ago, when I was a freshman, my dad had his second heart attack, he was 44. The doc once again told him he needs to cut down his cholestoral (sp?) and start eating better. A week outta the hospital my parents were back at mcdonalds. My mom is a very unhealty 200 some pounds now. Shes got a stomach almost as big as my dads, if not bigger. My dad has a beer belly, excpet he doesnt drink. His health is deteriorating again, which isnt good because the doc said his next heart attack could very easily be the end of him. I've chewed my mom out numerous times about how they need to start eating better and how much money they would save if they quit eating mcdonalds everyday (they really do eat there everyday for lunch, unless its a day i have off and i go to lunch with them, because i refuse to eat there, we went to wendys today, still not healthy but IMO better than mcdonalds). No matter how much I talk to her about it, she tells me to not worry about it and leave her alone. Shes gonna be real sorry the day my dad keels over from another heart attack because of how much fucking fast food he ate. For some reason she cant realize the harm she is causing them both by eating there everyday.

Im a big person myself (6'4 260lbs), most of you have seen my pic I posted a link to, but I didnt get big by eating fast food all the time. I play sports, I have fast metabolism, and I eat healthy. I stay in shape by going to the gym 3 times a week for 2 hours and I know whats good for my body. I can run the mile in under 7 minutes, I dont think either of my parents could even WALK a mile without falling over from exhaustion.
The most unhealty thing I eat, other than candy, is when I come home from work for lunch. I only get a half hour so I toss a hot dog in the microwave and nuke it for 30 seconds, then I grab some chips, a pop, wolf it all down and be back at work with 5 to 10 minutes to spare. But I guarantee my daily 1 hot dog and small helping of chips with a coke is 30 times healthier than a "number 6 go large with diet" at mcdonalds.

If there is anything wrong with the country, its not the fact that weed is at an all time high. Its the fact that McDonalds is in every fucking town in the country. This country isn't becoming more populated, its becoming fatter and that is why everything seems more crowded. People are just taking up more space with there fat asses.

Sorry for the rant, dont know where it came from. Back to the ganja talk!

[This message has been edited by jackson13 (edited 09-05-2002).]
Old 09-05-2002, 04:34 PM
I think the point Damon's parents tried to make is that they knew that sooner or later their kid was gonna try pot and they wanted to give him a balanced view about it.

Now a parent can choose one of three options: become a despotic general and threaten your kids with their life if they ever tried a drug, be irresponsible and just let'em go out and do what they want without any sort of advice, or you can real with them and accept what will eventually be inevitable.

Any drug, including pot is bad when you don't exercise any kind of control.

Damon's parents were trying to give him a responsible view towards pot, cause we all know when you label something as forbidden fruit to kids they're gonna want it even more. His parents sitting in the room not freaking out when he was lighting up defintely took the mystique out of pot and gave him a more well-rounded view of the drug.

There are two kinds of drug-users: Abusers and weekend users.

And btw, 3 government funded studies from the Nixon administration and the recent Bush administration proved THREE TIMES that POT IS NOT A GATE WAY DRUG, but guess what is?

BEER!

"Talk amongst yourselves"

[This message has been edited by electriclite (edited 09-05-2002).]
Old 09-05-2002, 04:37 PM
Everything will kill you in excess, even fucking tofu. The key to health is moderation, of anything. Including marijuana. Your parents aren't fat because they eat at McDonalds, they're fat and unhealthy because of what they eat at McDonalds, and how often. And Wendy's is no better. Look up your fat and calorie contents. Most fast food is the same. If you overdo anything, it will harm you in the long run.
Old 09-05-2002, 04:41 PM
They eat the same thing at mcdonalds everytime they go there. My dad get the big mac meal, large sized with root beer to drink. My mom gets the double cheeseburger value meal, large sized, with diet coke to drink. When we went to Wendys today, which was my idea since I hate mcdonalds, I had a garden salad, the one with the chicken. My dad ordered a single with cheese and a baked potato. My mom ordered a double with cheese and a small frosty, she so addicted to mcdonalds fries that she "refuses" to eat fries from any other restuarant. I do agree with you that it is WHAT they eat and not WHERE they eat. But when the what and where are the same thing everyday, it will get to you. And for them, it's already gotten to them.
Old 09-05-2002, 04:41 PM
You know what? I am seriously considering this approach when I have teenagers of my own.
Old 09-05-2002, 04:43 PM
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Grebdron:
See, it's basically a moot argument. Even if your parents try to hide society's ills from you, you are going to find out about it. And anybody that wants drugs, can get drugs. The war on drugs is a joke, perpetuated to keep those in that business employed. The problem will not go away, period. I don't care what anybody says, it will not go away. Drugs are available, plain and simple. People that want to use them will use them, plain and simple. The wisest thing for our government to do is to decriminalize it, profit from it, and use those profits to educate those at risk of becoming users. Anybody who thinks we need to continue to lock up users is ignorant to the fact that it will not stop them from using. It is so widespread that it will never be curtailed. And if a person wants to continue sending themself downhill who the fuck are we to stop them. As long as they are not hurting anybody else, let them. And the only reason anybody hurts anybody else to get them is because the government has made them dangerous to get. I could argue this forever, so I'll stop.</font>

All I can say to that is: There's a reason why drugs have been around for more than a millenia and our goverment (which has only been around for a little over 200 years) must be smoking some serious shit if they think they're gonna be the ones to stop it now!
Old 09-05-2002, 06:28 PM
It also happened with Robert Downey.Jr, his dad offered him marijuana when he was just six years old. No wonder he had such a bad drug problem.
Old 09-05-2002, 06:40 PM
His dad offering him weed when he was six was not necessarily the cause of his drug addiction. It's not that simple. You can have twins experience the exact same drugs at the same time and only one of them will become an addict. They still don't know what triggers addiction. Some people are more susceptible than others. I mean, if you use crack cocaine for any period of time you will develop an addiction. But that is a physical addiction. Marijuana is not physically addictive.
Old 09-05-2002, 07:51 PM
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tom Samborski:
It also happened with Robert Downey.Jr, his dad offered him marijuana when he was just six years old. No wonder he had such a bad drug problem.</font>
Eric Clapton said in an interview once that when he was little he was addicted to sugar, he would put it on top of everything. This kind of behavior meant he was susceptible to becoming addict to any sort of chemical substance.

We don't blame sugar for his future chemical dependencies; he had a a weakness ingrained in his nature, probably from birth. The same could probably be said for Robert Downey Jr. If he wasn't given pot as a kid it would've been something else and he'd still have the problems he lives with now.
Old 09-05-2002, 10:41 PM
It's great that Matt Damon spoke out. The problem is that other weekend smokers in normal everyday jobs can't easily speak up in the same way. It's not quite so easy for teachers, lawyers, judges, doctors, etc... to speak out in support of legalization in fear of what it might do to their career. Really I think thats the single biggest factor in why legalization is going to be so difficult in the United States.

As long as tobacco and alcohol is out there I don't even want to hear about pot being a gateway drug. I know almost nobody who said "screw these weak ass cigarettes and beers and pass me the grass." But again and again our government seems to overlook this fact jumping all over pot instead. They (tobacco/alcohol) kill hundreds of thousands of people every year, but pot has on last check never been the sole culprit in a single death yet. Only when in combination with others substances has any death been pinned on it. But yeah it's some evil drug. Please..........

And the final arugment:

Cocaine Addict: Marijuana is not a drug. I used to suck dick for coke. Now that's an addiction. You ever suck some dick for marijuana?

[This message has been edited by bmain77 (edited 09-05-2002).]
Old 09-06-2002, 06:59 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bmain77:
It's great that Matt Damon spoke out. The problem is that other weekend smokers in normal everyday jobs can't easily speak up in the same way. It's not quite so easy for teachers, lawyers, judges, doctors, etc... to speak out in support of legalization in fear of what it might do to their career. Really I think thats the single biggest factor in why legalization is going to be so difficult in the United States.

YES!

I think TV is a gateway drug. Wassssupppp!?
Old 09-06-2002, 08:53 AM
Big deal, so Matt Damon smoked some marijuana back in the day. He then went on to attend Harvard and become a talented superstar. Maybe a little weed wouldn't hurt the rest of us, either.
Old 09-06-2002, 08:59 AM
Don't we as a society have a THOUSAND other issues to tackle before marijuana?!?

Its not cotton candy but the evidence simply doesn’t portray it as any more of a risk than tobacco or alcohol – some studies indicate less so.

How many deaths are directly related to smoking and/or drinking, or as some already pointed out, heart disease (poor eating/exercise)? How many from marijuana? This isn’t rocket science kids…

If MJ had a multi-billion dollar industry/lobby behind it like tobacco, there would be cartons of joints right next to Lucky Strikes at your local Quick Stop (little View Askew reference to keep it movie related!).

Can’t we see the hypocrisy when chain (cigarette) smoking alcoholics wash down a Zoloft with a triple espresso and then condemn marijuana users?

Is your kid acting up in school? Dope him up on Prozac and he’ll fit right in the herd – but lets criticize Mr. and Mrs. Damon for preparing their child in a responsible manner. My parents did the same thing with alcohol – so when in high school and college, it didn’t hold any mystique and I dealt with it responsibly – why doesn’t the same apply to marijuana? Because it’s illegal? Do we need a quick history brush-up on prohibition???

Sorry to get off on the rant – I just can’t believe so many other critical topics/issues get ignored yet this is news.
Old 09-06-2002, 10:44 AM
Same thing happen to a movie star they call that shit possesion! -- Ordell Robbie

--QT
Old 09-09-2002, 01:26 PM
and i don't mean that because damon can smoke pot anyone can.

that's absurd.