Old 10-05-2002, 01:34 PM
A true western movie

when was the last time we had a true western movie come out? seriously, hollywood has made everything that is western and made it an action/western movie...I want to see a new movie come out where they stay true to the western type...I don't want to see a movie like american outlaws because that's just an action movie set in western times....all I"m asking for here is a western movie that stays true to its roots...is it that much to ask for
Old 10-05-2002, 02:00 PM
"The Kelly Gang" is going to be coming out soon enough. With Heath Ledger, Orlando Bloom, Naomi Watts, and Geoffrey Rush I think it will be good.
Old 10-07-2002, 12:48 PM
I think Unforgiven's the truest western you'll ever find. Little emphasis on action, mucho emphasis on charecter development. The plot is amazing too. Two retired gunfighters slap on the pistols for one last killing. The cast is freaking incredible too! Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman, Gene Hackman and Richard Harris. God I love this movie.
Old 10-07-2002, 05:20 PM
Unforgiven was the first title that came into my head. I suppose production companies must think old-style westerns won't sell now.

A western with Heath Ledger and Orlando Bloom sounds pretty crappy to me, but to each their own.
Old 10-07-2002, 05:45 PM
Yep, pardner. Unforgiven.

I think when we lose Clint Eastwood, we will have lost the last great Western icon. Unforgiven was classic, and probably (IMHO) the greatest western ever.
Old 10-07-2002, 08:18 PM
Tombstone was pretty good, and in my opinion the last good western movie, although I'm not the biggest fan of the genre. But I have seen a good portion of them, since my dad loves them so much. It had an outstanding cast too, I must say (Kurt Russell, Val Kilmer, Michael Biehn, Bill Paxton, Sam Elliott, Michael Rooker, etc. etc.)
Old 10-13-2002, 11:33 PM
Tombstone was great western.
But many people will disagree. Many people think of westerns as being made years ago with Eastwood etc. People see westerns made today with young hot stars to be just that. Young stars people are dying to see whether in a western or not. I,myself love todays westerns. Young Guns 1 & 2, Tombstone, Wyatt Earp,American Outlaws, Texas Rangers, Unforgiven,The Quick and the Dead etc. I would love to see more westerns with stars of today.
Old 10-14-2002, 12:38 PM
Shit! I forgot the Quick And The Dead ! That was probably the last good western for me. This had an excellent cast too. Raimi is a god!
Old 10-14-2002, 09:43 PM
Well actually when I am a famous director (hopefully) I intend to make a 3 hour long western to honor the greatest of them all. SERIGIO LEONE...The style...The action...the greatness! None of this JOHN WAYNE crap! OR american outlaw shit!
Old 10-16-2002, 06:17 PM

Old 11-09-2002, 06:01 PM

I really liked Maverick.
Granted, it was more comedic than, say, Unforgiven. But it was still wonderful thanks, in large part to its great cast. Mel Gibson, Jodie Foster, & James Garner were as charming as ever.
In short, it was much better than other recent westerns like Bad Girls & Wild Wild West.
Old 11-09-2002, 06:28 PM
JOHN WAYNE CRAP!?!?

Wayne's class.......... I wish I'd seen more of his movies, working on it, and all the ones so far have been
Old 11-10-2002, 12:55 PM
Remember the wester revival of 87 - 93?

Old 11-11-2002, 03:51 AM

True, good westerns don't have that much action or dialogue. They're kinda slow and the emphasis is put on character development. I just guess studio executives today think such movies wouldn't sell. Stupid them.

As for who could act in a nice, true, good ol' westie? Hugh Jackman. The guy is a Clint Eastwood clone, so I figure he could do that fine too.
Old 01-07-2003, 04:50 AM
Right you are, and when they do release a western its usually a hollow remake of 20 others made by the masters of teh genre.......anyway 2 recent ones's spring to mind as worthy and they are Ang Lee's RIDE WITH THE DEVIL and a movie called DUST starring David Wenham.

just for 5 here are five much ignored Western gems:

Peckinpah's RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY
Anthony Mann's MAN OF THE WEST
Edward Dymtrx WARLOCK
Tonino Vallerli MY NAME IS NOBODY
David Miller's LONELY ARE THE BRAVE
Old 01-26-2003, 06:52 PM
Well, I suppose it depends. To me, westerns are Eastwood/Leone collaborations and The Wild Bunch. We haven't had one of those in a while.

But if you like John Wayne westerns, then Unforgiven and Tombstone fit the bill.
Old 01-26-2003, 08:42 PM
I'm gonna say the most obvious choice cause it is a good western "The Wild Bunch" this movie oozes the wild west onto the big screen in a big way with its bloody on screen violence and its magnanimous action this movie is not only a true classic but a true western! And the ending was fucking awesome if i may say so!