Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Books/Comics
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2002, 04:12 PM
Terry Pratchett -- greatest author of our time?

I love the dude's books. I really think he's the best. I read most of his stuff ( Guards! Guards! and Men At Arms remain my personal favorites), and his books are just FANTASTIC. The guy's got intelligent stories, a great sense of humor, spirit, and he made up a weird and wicked universe all by himself. Personally, I've scarcely read anything as good as what Pratchett writes.

I know AxeDamn agrees with me and is a great admirer of the man too. But what about you other guys and gals?
Old 03-15-2003, 07:18 PM
Guards! Guards! slays me. "If you move you're Geography" and is probably my favourite of the books but there are so many highlights.

Death "I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU, BUT I COULD MURDER A CURRY "

Otto; the vampire who has sworn off blood and become a photographer ("The Truth")

The Bursar

Rincewind and The Luggage

and, one of my favourites, the notion of the guild of thieves and the fact that, in Ankh Morpork only UNLISCENCED theft is illegal.

Every year I look forward to the new Discworld book, long may they continue
Old 03-16-2003, 11:05 AM
I've read only 3 books of him, all of them funny as hell!

Sourcery - the only one I've read of Discworld so far, and now I'm looking for more!

Good Omens - co-written with Neil Gaiman, one of my favorite writers (check him out: Neverwhere is a masterpiece)

Truckers - very funny, the world as watched by gnomes (actually, it's a trilogy, I'm going to read the second one when I end up Summer of Night, by dan Simmons, another highly recommended author)
Old 03-17-2003, 11:22 AM
ive read most of his books and can safely agree that pratchett is ace
Old 03-21-2003, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys...

I know our friend arto_j is currently trying to shop for some good Pratchett books. He's settled on buying GOOD OMENS, and then I figure that if he likes it (and he will) he'll get some more. So, Arto, if you ever drop by this topic...just follow the boys's recommandations, they rock!
Old 03-22-2003, 05:19 AM

I've finished reading Diggers a few days ago. I have to say that it's not as good as Truckers, but it's still entertaining and intelligent.
Old 03-23-2003, 09:47 PM
I just finished reading Hogfather again. I've read about 7-8 of his books with plans to read all the rest this year, I already have 4 more on the shelf waiting

I also must say to anyone interested that hasn't tried them yet ... the videogames and the two DVDs are worth the purchase if you're a fan. I'm watching Soul Music as we speak, I'm up to episode 5
Old 03-29-2003, 10:00 AM
I've read a lot of Pratchett books, including all the discworld series pre about mid 2000, but I stopped reading because I find Pratchett's writing style to be too childish now, I much prefer the works of Stephen King even when the story is absolute crap I still keep turning the page because of the way King writes.

Pratchett is a great story teller but his audience is very limited, his stories are fantastic but his style is flawed, atleast to me anyway.

<OB>
Old 04-01-2003, 10:27 AM
Well, I finished Good Omens on Sunday and I must say I quite liked it, meaning I'll be looking out for more. I actually borrowed this other book of his from the library today, but can't remember what it's called...looked good, though
Old 04-02-2003, 04:53 AM
To anyone wanting to get into Discworld. Do NOT start with the first book, The Colour Of Magic it's not very good at all.

Most people will probably tell you that Equal Rites (book 3) is where they really start to get good but personally I've never liked the witches books so I would say start with book 4: Mort or book 8: Guards! Guards!
Old 04-02-2003, 10:14 AM
Ah, Mort is the one I got yesterday. What little research I put into it says that it's the second book in the series though

I guess it may be that it's in fact the second book of the series published here, translated...which would sound about right.
Old 04-03-2003, 04:59 AM
Here, at least, Mort is book 4 but it really makes no difference. All the novels stand alone and you don't have to have read any one book to follow any other.

That said I would suggest that is helpful to start the books which focus on recurring characters with the first in that series. (Mort for Death, who is in all the books but also has a starring role in Raeper Man and Hogfather and Guards! Guards! for the watch)
Old 04-03-2003, 05:28 PM
I've always been a fan of Pratchett, but I feel like he's on autopilot lately. His more recent books just feel a little mechanical to me. They have all the necessary Pratchett ingredients but I get the feeling that the author isn't enjoying writing them as much as he used to. The first Pratchett book that felt mechanical, to me, was THE LOST CONTINENT. I find it hard to explain why - but it just didn't entertain me the same way that MOVING PICTURES, GUARDS GUARDS, REAPER MAN and the rest of his 'older' books did. I think the problem is that he's been writing the same type of book for a very long time - he's never really tried anything different. But don't misunderstand me - I think he's a brilliant writer, just that his new books haven't made me laugh as much as the older ones.

Another favourite British, fantasy-humourist of mine is Robert Rankin. And, unlike Pratchett, Rankin seems to have got better as his career progressed. One of his more recent books, FANDOM OF THE OPERATOR, is better-written, funnier, sharper and wittier than any of his earlier works. I would recommend him to any Pratchett fan - and Rankin's ARMAGEDDOM TRILOGY is a good place to start (I think ARMAGEDDON: THE MUSICAL was the first one) because they are hilarious, bizarre and very sacriligious (sacrilage is a key ingredient in any funny book, I think!)