Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Books/Comics
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2002, 07:35 PM
What Comic or Book did you finish reading today?

What Comic or Book did you finish reading today?
Old 12-11-2002, 12:26 AM
It wasn't today but I finished Stephen King's The Waste Lands part 3 of the Dark Tower series last week . Great Book, I already started on Wizard and Glass and can't wait for the other ones to come out
Old 12-11-2002, 10:48 PM
Just got finished reading "The Christmas Train" by David Baldacci. Great Book. 8/10

I have luck with those christmas books. Its one of the only ones I actually finish.
Old 12-15-2002, 02:44 PM
I couldn't sleep last night, so I stayed up until 2 in the morning finishing Stephen King's Misery.
Old 12-16-2002, 09:37 PM
Not much into comic books but I just finished reading The Death of Superman.
Old 12-16-2002, 10:58 PM
The Incredible Hulk 47. First comic I have read in almost 5 years. Sheesh.

Last edited by QuietMaskedMan1; 12-19-2002 at 04:13 PM..
Old 12-19-2002, 03:17 PM
I just finished reading "Kissing Chaos"
as for books I just finished "The Lovely Bones"

Both are very good and highly recommended.
Old 12-20-2002, 01:07 PM
"Subterranean" by James Rollins. Good book.
Old 12-21-2002, 03:02 PM
ive jsut finished reading the new transformers series, armada and the war within. they rock.
Old 12-30-2002, 04:42 AM
I read two books over Xmas - both were great and highly recommended.

The first one "Round Ireland....With A Fridge" by Tony Hawk is an amusing tale of a man accepting a bet that he can't hitchhike around ireland in less than 30 days, with a fridge! And it's all true!

The second one was Michael Connelly's new novel "Chasing The Dime" which was up to his usual high standards, and a joy to read - not to mention a great climax.

I've just started reading "6 Days" by Brendan DuBois, which so far is great - his last book "Ressurection Day" was one of my favourites that I discovered this year - again, highly recommended for those who like "what-if" fiction (i.e. a slightly altered reality, but wholly based in the realms of the plausible - for example Resurrection Day sets the premise that instead of Cuba backing down in the Cuban Missile Crisis, there was instead a limited nuclear exchange between the superpowers, which has left America as a shattered nation, and the British rulers of the planet once again. On top of that, there's a rumour that JFK is alive..... good stuff!)
Old 01-24-2003, 05:02 PM
I just finished reading Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle" for my post-Civil War U.S. History class. I was somewhat disappointed, especially by the ending.
Old 01-25-2003, 01:56 PM
I finished 'Survivor' by Chuck Palahniuk the other day as I mentioned in another thread.
Old 01-26-2003, 10:02 PM
Today I read "X-Treme X-Men" #20 and "New X-Men" #136.
Old 01-27-2003, 06:33 PM
I've recently finished reading The League of Extraoridinary Gentlemen tpb by Alan Moore.
Old 01-30-2003, 05:22 PM
Finished "Congo" yesterday.
Old 02-04-2003, 09:52 PM
Yesterday I finished High Fidelity. The movie was good but the book was even better. Very funny.
Old 02-09-2003, 06:14 AM
I just finished Animal Farm I give it 9/10 very good book
Old 02-11-2003, 05:22 AM
Finished Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut yesterday (excellent book btw) and just read Ghost World by Daniel Clowes for the umpteenth time
Old 02-11-2003, 08:51 AM
I bought and read "Origin" today. For those who do not know, it is a comic telling the longtime mystery of Wolverine's youth. It was extremely well done and among the best comic books I have read (which admittedly is not very many).
Old 02-12-2003, 03:23 PM
I've just finished the 1st half of Superman Vs Alien, Kind of a weird crossover. Superman discovers a peice of krypton that has survived the explosion of his home planet. Unfortunately its been overun by Aliens (you know the burst out of your chest ones). he joins the few survivorsin fighting the overwhelming beasts. he then gets caught and "impregnated". theres another comic that continues from this one but i couldnt find it anywhere.
Old 02-13-2003, 11:46 AM
I just finished reading choke by chuck pahlaniuk, and its a great book. Though I wouldnt say its his best. Its a bit more positive then his usual stuff, but still has his insane and incredible sense of humor and sarcasm.

Also I just finished reading this excellent Frank Miller masterpiece Hard Boiled, holy shit! When it comes to non stop violence and all out gore, theres nowhere better to look then anything written by Frank Miller. This story though thin is just completely outthere in terms of being ultraviolent to the extreme!

Check it out if your in desperete need to be shocked!
Old 02-14-2003, 02:42 PM
Just finished the awesome Ultimate Spider man #36. This is possibly the best comic book series ever.
Old 02-16-2003, 03:10 PM
Marketing Judo, Building your business using brains not budget by John Barnes & Richard Richardson
Old 02-24-2003, 07:01 PM
Just finished reading the script for David Lynch's unproduced film "Ronnie Rocket."
Old 02-24-2003, 08:23 PM
I'm halfway through a collection of Ayn Rand's published essays on her brainchild, Objectivism. "The Virtue Of Selfishness" is a damned good read.. cant put it down.
Old 02-24-2003, 08:29 PM
I finished the third installment of Christopher Pike's "Remember Me" trilogy earlier today. It was very good. I've been on a Pike kick since reading that recent thread about him here. So far, his work's been as good as I'd remembered.
Old 02-24-2003, 10:58 PM
Hey, Jason, I read the first book of the "Remember Me" series. I thought it was pretty good. How are the rest of them?

Romero, Objectivism is pretty solid philosophy. I haven't read much of Rand's stuff (just "The Fountainhead" and several essays), but in general I like what she has to say. Watch out for the Rand-cultists, though!

Last edited by the night watchman; 02-25-2003 at 06:43 PM..
Old 02-25-2003, 05:41 PM
Some comics I read lately:
Astro City (sucks)
Gotham Central 2,3,4. (stopped collecting)
Iceman 1,2,3,4
Venture 1
Evo 1
Hulk 50, awesome stuff.
Old 02-26-2003, 02:12 AM
I just finished Carrie earlier tonight.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:39 PM
Night, for history class. Jesus, a stunning read and downright morbid
Old 02-28-2003, 12:45 PM
Batman: #612

Birds of Prey: Batgirl/Catwoman

Star Wars: Jedi Mace Windu
Old 02-28-2003, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by the night watchman
Hey, Jason, I read the first book of the "Remember Me" series. I thought it was pretty good. How are the rest of them?
Hey, Watchman! Sorry for the belated response. I forgot to check up on the thread. I actually just finished another Pike book earlier today and wanted to post that bit of info here. The book was See you Later, by the way. It was as good as I'd remembered.

As for the "Remember Me" series, I actually haven't read the second one, but the third one is pretty good. It's classic Pike. Philosophically, it's very new-age, but I didn't think it was preachy or anything. I've always liked how his work dabbled in the esoteric, and this one's no different. If you enjoyed the first "Remember Me," you should like this one. I'd definitely recommend picking it up next time you're at the library.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Jason Voorhees; 02-28-2003 at 01:04 PM..
Old 02-28-2003, 02:46 PM
I'm looking for a quick-n-easy read, and this just might fit the bill. Thanks!
Old 02-28-2003, 02:49 PM
Just finished reading Amazing Spiderman: Till The Stars Turn Cold.

Its a compilation of Spiderman Issues 41-45.

The combination between J. Michael Stracynsky and Jhon Romita Jr. is producing some of the best Spider-man stories in a looong time.

It was cool to see Peter trying to get back with M J after their recent separation..MJ really making him suffer aint she?

Anyhows it was also good to see Doctor octopus back in action!

Last edited by spacemonkey; 02-28-2003 at 02:58 PM..
Old 02-28-2003, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by the night watchman
I'm looking for a quick-n-easy read, and this just might fit the bill. Thanks!
Welcome . If you get to read it, let us know what you think. I'd be interested in hearing it.
Old 02-28-2003, 11:34 PM
Finished Choke by Chuck Palahniuk like a week ago.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:31 PM
I just finished reading the latest issue of Scientific American. This is easily the best issue they've produced in a while. Of speical interest are articles outlining a new theory on the evolution of feathers which includes new fossils of theropod dinosaurs that reveal early forms of feathers (it's even speculated that theropods like Tyrannosaurus and Velociraptor may have been feathered); an article on dark matter; and lastly one about parasitic microorganisms that alter the behavior of their host as part of their reproductive cycle.

Oh, I am geeky in ways you people have never imagined.
Old 03-08-2003, 10:55 AM
Birds of Prey - Catwoman/Oracle written by John Francis Moore and Pencils by David Ross.

Battle of the Planets - Witchblade written by Munier Sharrieff and Pencils by Christina Chen and Jo Chen.

Lone Wolf 2100 Shadows on Saplings written by Mike Kennedy and art by Francisco Ruiz Velisco.
Old 03-08-2003, 07:56 PM
Finished V for Vendetta by Alan Moore the other day. I really liked it, though not nearly as much as The Watchmen, which is probably the best novel I've ever read. I'm wondering what to buy next
Old 03-09-2003, 12:49 AM
Got and finished "30 Days of Night"

Excellent stuff, hope the movie comes out as good.