Old 07-10-2003, 04:31 AM
'salem's Lot
Old 07-10-2003, 07:04 AM
The Count of Monte Cristo
Old 07-10-2003, 11:07 AM
Stray Dogs, by John Ridley. Almost line by line the movie script (U-Turn, if you don't know)
Old 07-11-2003, 08:12 AM
After a VERY long wait:
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Old 07-13-2003, 01:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by quoth_the_raven
The Count of Monte Cristo
Great choice Quoth.
Old 07-14-2003, 02:09 PM
I just re-read Stephen King's The Long Walk, and now I'm on to American Psycho.
Old 07-14-2003, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tagia_Romero
Great choice Quoth.

i am really enjoying it as well. its all sex and drugs and betrayals...i love it!

just a word of advice for my schmoe friends. do not drop the count of monte cristo on your foot. it really hurts. as well as meaning you lose your page (pet peeve)
Old 07-14-2003, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lindsey
I just re-read Stephen King's The Long Walk, and now I'm on to American Psycho.
Have you read American Psycho before?
Old 07-14-2003, 04:20 PM
Book I'm reading right now? It would have to be Bruce Campbell's If Chins could Kill, confessions of a B-Movie actor. And so far, I've laughed myself silly.

Great read so far
Old 07-14-2003, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Psychocandy
Have you read American Psycho before?
Yep it's one of my favorite books.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:41 PM

I've been slogging my way through Stephen King's Nightmares & Dreamscapes for a while now. This anthology has to be my least favorite of his books so far. It has a few good stories, but most of them ended up leaving me feel indifferent. I actually started reading it last summer, then quit halfway through, only to return to it a year later. Thankfully, I'm almost done now. I just borrowed American Psycho from the library, but before I read that I'm gonna look at Harry Potter because my mom borrowed it from the libarary and lent it to me.

PS: I own a copy of King's The Long Walk, but I haven't read it yet--though I've owned it for quite a while now.

PSS: Editorial--I'm still pissed because of that one class I took last fall where I had to read a whole new novel EVERY TWO FUCKING WEEKS which didn't leave time for me to look at anything else.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:14 PM
Finally got down to it and started reading The Lord of the Rings last week (Thursday I think). I've owned the book since December....

I, uhm, got to page 37... haven't picked it up since...

Ah well, the last book I read was Helter Skelter and that was summer of last year... I guess it's one book a year for me!!!
Old 07-15-2003, 10:52 PM
I just started reading Dreamcatcher by the master of horror himself. I'm only two chapters into it and I'm already absorbed by King's style of writing. The last book I read was Pet Semetary, which was okay. But I think "It" is still the best one so far. I'm hoping Dreamcatcher can rouse the same opinion I have for "It".
Old 07-17-2003, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Young Son
I just started reading Dreamcatcher by the master of horror himself. I'm only two chapters into it and I'm already absorbed by King's style of writing. The last book I read was Pet Semetary, which was okay. But I think "It" is still the best one so far. I'm hoping Dreamcatcher can rouse the same opinion I have for "It".
I loved DREAMCATCHER. It's not as deep as IT, but it's nearly as good in a schlockier, B-movie sort of way.

I don't know why most people say such bad things about it. It's one of my favourite King books.
Old 07-17-2003, 03:18 PM
I'm currently about five chapters into The Light At The End by John Skipp and Craig Spector. I've been looking for this book for quite a while and happened across it in a charity shop a few weeks ago. I read The Scream many, many years ago and was quite impressed. The Light At The End is about a vampire loose in the New York subways. So far i'm pretty impressed but i'm hoping it provides plenty of suspense and likeable characters along with the inevitable gore.
Old 07-17-2003, 03:19 PM
Oh - to keep in the spirit of this thread...

I just finished LIFE OF PI by Yann Martle - incredible book. I loved every single page. It's as suspenseful as a great thriller, as grisly as a horror novel and it's also very deep and will make you think about things that may never have occurred to you before! (10/10)

And I also just finished HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN - I think it's the best of the 3 Potter books I've read so far. Rowling isn't a great prose writer, but she knows how to entertain. My only complaint is that I don't find her magic very authentic or believable - better fantasy authors can make me believe everything is real, she doesn't. Still, the book was exciting and funny, and that's the main thing. (6/10)

I started DEAD FAMOUS by Ben Elton, today - it's a murder mystery set in a reality TV show. Looks like fun!
Old 07-17-2003, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lindsey
Yep it's one of my favorite books.
Yup. Me too. Shocked me shitless and made me laugh up my lungs.
Old 07-17-2003, 07:30 PM
Pick it up and keep going....

Quote:
Originally posted by Tommy Doyle
Finally got down to it and started reading The Lord of the Rings last week (Thursday I think). I've owned the book since December....

I, uhm, got to page 37... haven't picked it up since...
Old 07-18-2003, 12:52 AM
Top Ten by Alan Moore. I'm digging it so far, and the artwork is beautiful
Old 07-18-2003, 01:21 AM
Any Deaver fans? I'm reading his latest Lincoln Rhyme thriller, 'The Vanished Man'. Not as good as 'The Coffin Dancer', but good nonetheless.
Old 07-18-2003, 05:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by vtadave
Pick it up and keep going....
I, too, have made several attempts to read LORD OF THE RINGS. While I think it's a beautifully-written book and a very exciting adventure story, I've never managed to finish it. I think it's just because fantasy is my least favourite genre and I always get distracted by a book that interests me more.
Old 07-18-2003, 06:57 AM
The Legend Of Deathwalker - David Gemmell
Old 07-20-2003, 08:31 PM
Preacher: Until the End of the World by Garth Ennis
Old 07-20-2003, 08:34 PM
THE CABINET OF CURIOSITIES by Preston/Child... decent summer read.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:17 PM
Jennifer Government by Max Barry
Old 07-21-2003, 02:49 PM
Right now I'm on chapter 3 of Oscar Wilde's "The Picture of Dorian Gray", and really enjoying it!
Old 07-21-2003, 03:22 PM
All The Presidents Men

by: Woodward and Bernstien

The story of Watergate. Soon to be a major motion picture.
Old 07-21-2003, 05:08 PM
Fast Food Nation, then Rebel Without a Crew.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:31 AM
Just finished Michael Crichton's Timeline. Excellent, by far one of his best.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Could Be Worse
Just finished Michael Crichton's Timeline. Excellent, by far one of his best.

I agree. Timeline is one of Crichton's absolute best.

As for what I'm reading right now, I just started Legends Of The Riftwar: Murder In LaMut: by Raymond Feist and Joel Rosenberg.

Last edited by The Young Son; 07-23-2003 at 07:34 AM..
Old 07-22-2003, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Young Son
I agree. Timeline is one of Crichton's absolute best.
I thought it was good, but not one of his best. JURASSIC PARK, TERMINAL MAN, A CASE OF NEED, THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN, DISCLOSURE...I can name plenty that are ten times better.

Although, this could be partly due to the fact that I enjoy Crichton a lot less since I started studying science in college. I thought his books were better when I was 13 and new to all of those theories. Maybe I would have thought TIMELINE was a masterpiece if I'd read it back then.

And back to the topic...

I just finished DEAD FAMOUS, by Ben Elton, and it was superb. Very funny and suspenseful. Although, I didn't care for the murder-mystery aspect - I was more interested in the characters in the house.

Last night, I started THE OUTSIDER by Albert Camus. I've been planning on reading it for ages - I hope it's as good as I've been led to believe!
Old 07-22-2003, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by EoghainFOKeeffe

I just finished DEAD FAMOUS, by Ben Elton, and it was superb. Very funny and suspenseful. Although, I didn't care for the murder-mystery aspect - I was more interested in the characters in the house.

thats an absolute cracking read. laughed like a drain all the way through. although Elton has that effect on me anyway...

you read Blast from the Past?
Old 07-22-2003, 03:12 PM
Quote:
thats an absolute cracking read. laughed like a drain all the way through.
Like a drain? Does that mean you've read Robert Rankin too?

Quote:
although Elton has that effect on me anyway...

you read Blast from the Past?
BLAST FROM THE PAST is one of the only Elton books I haven't yet read.

While I really enjoyed HIGH SOCIETY and DEAD FAMOUS, I think his older books (STARK, GRIDLOCK) are much funnier. He's tending toward angry satire rather than laugh-out-loud humour, now. Not that I mind, any Elton book is good! I love his unapologetic views on life.

POPCORN was his last REALLY funny book, in my opinion. I hope he goes back to his roots soon - his older books make me laugh out loud, even if I'm in public.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by EoghainFOKeeffe
Like a drain? Does that mean you've read Robert Rankin too?

BLAST FROM THE PAST is one of the only Elton books I haven't yet read.

While I really enjoyed HIGH SOCIETY and DEAD FAMOUS, I think his older books (STARK, GRIDLOCK) are much funnier. He's tending toward angry satire rather than laugh-out-loud humour, now. Not that I mind, any Elton book is good! I love his unapologetic views on life.

POPCORN was his last REALLY funny book, in my opinion. I hope he goes back to his roots soon - his older books make me laugh out loud, even if I'm in public.

Robert Rankin? ummm....i think...if hes the guy who has did Sex, Drugs and Sausage Rolls, then yes, i have read him. just not the book i just mentioned.lol.

i havent actually got around to reading High Society yet, its on my to do list.

hmmm, seeing as we are focusing on comedy authors for the moment, how familiar are you with the two Toms....Tom Holt and Tom Sharpe?
Old 07-22-2003, 06:42 PM
I'm hooked on read the LOTR saga. I just finished reading The Hobbit and now I'm onto The Fellowship of the Ring. I know that The Hobbit isn't apart of the LOTR trilogy, but I consider it a prelude.
Old 07-23-2003, 04:24 AM
"The perks of being a wallflower" by STEPHEN CHBOSKY

just started it today.......
Old 07-23-2003, 02:42 PM
Quoth_the_raven:

Robert Rankin is great. I'd recommend you try ARMAGEDDON: THE MUSICAL (and it's sequels) and FANDOM OF THE OPERATOR. The latter is very dark and much nastier than (but just as funny as) his other books. That is, if you haven't already read them!

I read one Tom Holt book. It was about God going on holiday and leaving his immature son to run things. It was funny, but I think I prefer Pratchett. I'll give Holt another try soon, though.

I haven't read Sharpe yet, but I intend to.

I finished THE OUTSIDER today. It was very suspenseful and easy to read, but it has a lot of depth. I'm still thinking about the implications of the story. It's a simple story with a lot of meaning.

Next I might read MANWATCHING by Desmond Morris. it's a book about human behaviour that looks very interesting. Each chapter is about how people behave in a specific situation.
Old 07-23-2003, 05:24 PM
EoghainFOKeeffe

wow you have given me a fair bit to reply too.

first off, although i cant remember all the titles, i have read 5/6 Rankin books and Fandom of the Operator was one of them. i was pretty impressed on the whole.

The Tom Holt you tried was one of the weaker ones in my opinion, so you might want to look into one or two of the others. again, i cant remember the title, but there is one about Dragons which affect the weather. i guess you kind of have to read it for it to make sense

Tom Sharpe....i couldnt possibly recommend a single book here, every one is an absolute winner. But if pushed for an answer, i will point you in the direction of the Wilt trilogy.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:32 PM
Sandman: The Kindly Ones.

It was hard to imagine how big this book is, so it'll be awhile before I can finish it
Old 07-25-2003, 07:40 AM
Just started with Andrew Neiderman's The Devil's Advocate. Never seen the movie and the book is very good so far.