Old 05-08-2004, 11:18 AM
I NEVER read, only when I have to in English classes.

However, I decided (don't ask me why) to pick up a book which drawn me in with it's quirky title THE CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG IN THE NIGHT-TIME.

I'm only 50-odd pages in and it's truly mesmerising.
Old 05-09-2004, 09:11 PM
In the Ocean of Night by Gregory Benford

Sci-fi novel about a rougish astronaut who discovers an alien probe heading towards Earth. A decent read, but it was too slow moving to really get into, with too little empathsis on the sci-fi elements. It had some interesting ideas, such as this religious cult gaining political influence, but they weren't developed enough to grab my interest. I know it's followed by five sequels, but I don't know when or if I'll get to them. This is perhaps the only major science fiction novel that includes a cameo by Bigfoot (using a ray gun, no less)! Recommended for fans of the genre.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:54 AM
After finishing House of Leaves with a depressed feeling (those letters . . . ) I will re-take the Dark Tower series . . . until my Underworld adaptation arrives.
Old 05-10-2004, 02:53 PM
Right now, Timequake by Kurt Vonnegut.
Old 05-10-2004, 02:56 PM

I'm currently reading Bad Men by John Connolly. I've been wanting to read something of his for a while and since this book is a standalone as opposed to being part of his series of Charlie Parker detective novels I decided to start here...sort of a suck it and see kinda thing. I'm impressed so far. Very impressed. So far it comes across like a Stephen King novel crossed with a Tarantino script. The bad men of the title are most despicable bunch of evil fucks i've come across in quite some time. The writing is solid too. I really care about the plight of the characters and the palpable sense of impending doom the author succeeds in creating as the story progresses seems to crawl off the page and up your spine. John Connolly is an author to look out for. After I finish this (providing the author doesn't drop the ball during the last 150 pages) i'm going to check out the Charlie Parker novels. Highly recommended. I'll post a final mark out of five when I finish it.
Old 05-14-2004, 07:30 PM
Could you help me decide what to read next. I haven't got a clue

it's a tossup between:

Bret Easton Ellis - American Psycho
Ernest Hemingway - For Whom The Bell Tolls
Robert Ludlum - The Bourne Identity, Supremacy, Ultimatum

help!!
Old 05-14-2004, 11:06 PM
All good, but Hemingway is pretty much the biggest stud of the 20th century, and For Whom the Bell Tolls is worth reading.

EDIT: While I'm here... I'm re-reading Steinbeck's The Wayward Bus.
Old 05-15-2004, 04:53 AM
Reading The Iliad again. The first time I started it, I never got even to the 30th page. But this time, though it's dead boring, I promised myself to finish it before next Thursday (the day I'll be seeing Troy).

Last edited by Mad Maggot; 05-15-2004 at 01:15 PM..
Old 05-15-2004, 06:49 PM
Homer's The Iliad
Old 05-16-2004, 02:13 PM
On the Road by Jack Kerouac
Old 05-16-2004, 02:48 PM
The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides
Old 05-16-2004, 02:56 PM
I see everyone's swotting up ready to go see Troy
Old 05-16-2004, 07:22 PM
shadows bend by david barbour and richard raleigh. a fictional meeting of hp lovecraft and robert e howard, they team up to fight cthulu. a really gripping read so far.

ciao
drdash
Old 05-17-2004, 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by GoldenGhost

However, I decided (don't ask me why) to pick up a book which drawn me in with it's quirky title THE CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG IN THE NIGHT-TIME.

I want to read that so bad.

But as for now, I'm reading. . .

THE DEAD ZONE
by
Stephen King
Old 05-17-2004, 05:19 PM
Robert Rankin- Armageddon:The Musical- a book that features the 153rd incarnation of the dalai lama, a time sprout, and Elvis. v very mad, very funny.
Old 05-17-2004, 05:23 PM
seduced by moonlight- laurell k hamilton

ciao
drdash
Old 05-17-2004, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Speermint
Could you help me decide what to read next. I haven't got a clue

it's a tossup between:

Bret Easton Ellis - American Psycho
Ernest Hemingway - For Whom The Bell Tolls
Robert Ludlum - The Bourne Identity, Supremacy, Ultimatum

help!!
When in doubt, always go with Ellis. American Psycho is my all-time favourite book.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:22 PM
Forrest Gump by Winston Groom
Old 05-28-2004, 08:47 PM
Just finishes The Grapes of Wrath. Quite heavy reading but thoroughly enjoyed it. very depressing.

i'm now reading Tietam Brown by Mick Foley. a bit of light reading before i get into another classic.

T.B. is interesting but a bit crude, so far. i think it's attempting to be a surreal coming-of-age nostalgia story, but i feel it hasn't quite reached it. i am enjoying it though.

i'm about halfway through it.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:16 PM
Started the new CSI Miami book. Read the first chapter already. Love Max Allen Collins stuff. Already has my interest.

Great choice drdash. We have the same interest in books it seems.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:57 PM
Laurel K. Hamilton's "Guilty Pleasures". A little odd (since it's more like a girl's book) but good literature . . . when you get past the 1st Person perspective I've never enjoyed (that's right, I was even bugged by it in AMERICAN PSYCHO).

It's going good as for now.
Old 05-29-2004, 07:43 AM
The highwayman-r.a. salvatore.
awesome fucking book!!!!!!!!!!!!

ciao
drdash
Old 05-29-2004, 11:12 AM
reading Bag Of Bones by Stephen king.

I forgot how good that book is.
Old 05-29-2004, 08:43 PM
I'm reading 4 books:

If I Die in A Combat Zone by Tim O'Brien

The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller

Delta Force non-fiction by Delta Force founding officer Col. Charlie Beckwith

all are excellent. I would recommend any of them
Old 05-30-2004, 01:27 AM
Finished reading Tietnam Brown by Mich Foley. A quaint read. enjoyed it a lot

8.5/10

I have now decided to read American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis. haven't really read enough to make an opinion. it's a little hard to read.
Old 05-30-2004, 09:15 AM
The Da Vinci Code

No opinion so far. Read only about 10 pages.
Old 05-30-2004, 02:58 PM
Salem's Lot by Stephen King

Pretty good so far, I might even go as far as saying it's my favorite King yet.
Old 05-30-2004, 05:37 PM
the risen empire- by scott westerfield. a very cool space opera novel that reminds me of asimov's foundation series and herbert's dune series. check it out.

ciao
drdash
Old 05-31-2004, 06:00 PM
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson

Goddamn, hilarious book so far. Just some of the most wild crap that Duke says.

The movie did a great job in capturing the opening scene with the hitcher and the 'bats'
Old 06-02-2004, 03:19 AM
Smoke and Mirrors by Neil Gaiman

Excellent collection of short stories. The story with Mr. Fox was scary as hell.
Old 06-04-2004, 02:03 AM
The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown

I am having so many problems getting into this book. The writing style is so pretentious. He will be like "Robert walked to the mall. The mall was developed in the 1900s when..." It's sentence, fact, sentence, fact - the flashbacks so far are annoying, the descriptions are lacking, and I really don't like the character Robert Langdon yet. I mean, I am only on chapter 7, but I'm not very into it as of yet.
Old 06-04-2004, 02:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ANavissi500
The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown

I am having so many problems getting into this book. The writing style is so pretentious. He will be like "Robert walked to the mall. The mall was developed in the 1900s when..." It's sentence, fact, sentence, fact - the flashbacks so far are annoying, the descriptions are lacking, and I really don't like the character Robert Langdon yet. I mean, I am only on chapter 7, but I'm not very into it as of yet.

Thats quite worrying to read, as I am about to start reading this. I've read another by the same author, called Angels and Demons, and that was pretty good.

oh dear, you have gone and made me all nervous about starting now
Old 06-04-2004, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by quoth_the_raven
Thats quite worrying to read, as I am about to start reading this. I've read another by the same author, called Angels and Demons, and that was pretty good.

I really am too early into the book to have made those blanket statements, but so far it's not anything special to me. Easy reas, though. If I didnt stop after every chapter, it would probably be a 5 hour ordeal.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:12 PM
C.S. Lewis' That Hideous Strength
Old 06-05-2004, 11:19 AM
the ferryman-christopher golden

ciao
drdash
Old 06-05-2004, 02:18 PM
Quote:

Hope you'll like it. I finished it last night, and it was superb. Even better than that. Couldn't make myself stop reading it, both late at night and early in the morning. Loved all the references to Leonardo da Vinci, he's like THE man of my week now. Quality.

I have 3 other books by Dan Brown, Angels and Demons, Digital Fortress and Deception Point, can't decide which one to start tonight (meaning in 10 minutes). Probably will go with AaD... or DF... Duh!

Last edited by Mad Maggot; 06-05-2004 at 02:22 PM..
Old 06-06-2004, 08:43 AM
THE TAKING
by
Dean Koontz

excellent so far
Old 06-06-2004, 10:26 PM
To those reading The Da Vinci Code: remember, it's fiction and the "facts" are actually historically inaccurate, please don't take the book as gospel.

Currently I'm reading 'The Catcher in the Rye'.
Old 06-07-2004, 12:49 AM
I forgot to mention this before, but I read The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson. It's alright--never really takes off. Still, it's not nearly as boring as the movie.

Last edited by Cyclonus; 06-07-2004 at 12:54 AM..
Old 06-09-2004, 11:38 AM
Life, The Universe, and Everything.