Old 07-04-2014, 09:53 PM
What Happened To This Place?

I remember Joblo being THE place to talk about movies - but it's dead here now and it seems that a ton of great people have left. What happened here and who drove this place into the ground? Forums are still as popular as ever, so it's not a matter of forums in general dying - somebody dropped the ball here.

Last edited by Hot Sauce; 07-04-2014 at 09:58 PM..
Old 07-05-2014, 03:38 AM
God alone knows, Hot Sauce. People move on. People also lose interest in online communities due to a plethora of reasons. I blame the trolls. So, you can pretty much point a finger at me in this instance. I troll. Have done for about 8 years now. Hmm... Has it been that long. My, how time flies when you're having fun. To be perfectly honest with you. I have NFC!
Old 07-06-2014, 02:58 PM
Same.

I don't even remember how I ended up here. Link to a link to a link kind of thing.

My feeling is that there is no genuine loss of interest, but rather levels of ever growing complications.

Folks having less free time to wander the net; raising kids, working extras hours to keep food and home and the like. Things become far less simple.

We are the remaining sentinels. I prefer that title than... dinosaur.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIan View Post
Same.

I don't even remember how I ended up here. Link to a link to a link kind of thing.

My feeling is that there is no genuine loss of interest, but rather levels of ever growing complications.

Folks having less free time to wander the net; raising kids, working extras hours to keep food and home and the like. Things become far less simple.

We are the remaining sentinels. I prefer that title than... dinosaur.
Countless forums are busier than ever - so I don't really buy that. I think it has more to do how this place is run and poor decisions made like banning popular posters, etc. This appears to be a Joblo problem - not an internet and people have busy lives problem.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:11 PM
Quote:
I think it has more to do how this place is run and poor decisions made like banning popular posters, etc.
That internal politics is unknown to me.

There is an adult forum I used to haunt (regularly); fans and film makers.

Something happened; some got banned and others just drifted away. It still exist, but is a shadow of what it once was.

I had some good times there. Oh well.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:28 AM
On the point of banned members. Many of the long term, popular people who have been loosely referred to, have not been banned. Some have, but most haven't. They just don't interact with the forums anymore. Some of them still do appear on mfc from time to time. As for actually banned members, there have been loads of people removed from joblo's over the last few years. Without going into needless detail, I can name quite a few who aren't on here anymore. And I will say it again, just about all of them I guarantee you just aren't interested in posting anymore. And/or they just don't have the time they once used to. Certainly, it's any one of those reasons, or a combination of all the above. Infact, to prove the obvious lack of activity, one has only to look at actual members compared to the total members who are active ratio. There's your confirmation in black and white right there. And Joblo's site is not an isolated case.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by God of War View Post
On the point of banned members. Many of the long term, popular people who have been loosely referred to, have not been banned. Some have, but most haven't. They just don't interact with the forums anymore. Some of them still do appear on mfc from time to time. As for actually banned members, there have been loads of people removed from joblo's over the last few years. Without going into needless detail, I can name quite a few who aren't on here anymore. And I will say it again, just about all of them I guarantee you just aren't interested in posting anymore. And/or they just don't have the time they once used to. Certainly, it's any one of those reasons, or a combination of all the above. Infact, to prove the obvious lack of activity, one has only to look at actual members compared to the total members who are active ratio. There's your confirmation in black and white right there. And Joblo's site is not an isolated case.
There are a million movie sites and forums with countless people posting every day. If members HERE are not interested in posting anymore - then maybe Joblo should relaunch the forums to something better than it is or just shut it down, because quite frankly - it is boring as fuck here.

Joblo would have been better off not having a ban policy. Even trolling has it traffic benefits and people seem to like drama and heated debate on forums these days. The busiest forums on the internet are typically forums where anything goes with the exception of racist comments or threats. Some of the best discussions on Joblo were with people who are now banned. It's like shooting yourself in the face.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:54 PM
Hot Sauce, how do you know all those many people you speak of were banned? You've kept in touch with them or you're assuming?
Old 07-07-2014, 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
Hot Sauce, how do you know all those many people you speak of were banned? You've kept in touch with them or you're assuming?
I used to post here when the place was alive and kicking - plenty of great posters were banned at the time.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:41 PM
Another old member here. This is my off-the-grid season, but will chime in for this. This website was crazy fun as back as 2003 and must have started slowing down by the 2010's. 2009 to 2011 were still active years with a lot of regulars still around. And after 2012, the old renaissance largely came to an end.

I can only assume, that with the extra new features and videos, this website began to take on too much. That's how it feels. I've never bothered with the newer features and videos, just like I ignore new technologies like Facebook, twitter, Texting, etc. Those newer features might have taken interest away from the original forums, which eventually led to the forums being downsized. Not even a rant section anymore. Even the rant section slowed down and there were a lot of entertaining rants.

Are the almost-zero-tolerance rules, to keep all the members in check, responsible for losing some valuable friends here that we miss? They might or they might not. This website has been well-controlled with a lot of interesting personalities and very few trolls. There's a reason the IMDB forums are a mess in comparison.

Some of us sentinels might have moved on, others hanging around. I would like to think that if there if these original forums were brought back to old shape again, with the some of the same ideas and some necessary changes - like a restaurant's "Grand Re-Opening" - people would flock to a simpler forum again. But don't know sure if that would would work. And if so, would prefer to keep the newer features still separated from the original forums in the process. Wouldn't want to see both worlds get mixed up and collide like another mediocre movie forum.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:51 PM
Hmm, well today is actually the first day I have dropped in again since 2008. It's weird because the site looks quite a bit different than I remember. Perhaps it's just a time of Flux? Maybe more of the older users like me will drop in to see what's up and stay a bit? Maybe it's because I haven't looked around more, but it doesn't look that bad around here, you know? Maybe it's just because I haven't really chatted about flicks in a bit, but been enjoying myself here today anyway. Plan on staying a bit too.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:46 AM
Welcome back Duke Nukem and T2KFreeker.

You win one free MeowMeowBeenz.

It's impossible to get five.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:38 AM
Yeah I wonder all the time what happened. When I joined many years ago it was a great atmosphere on these boards and I would spend quite a bit of time on here everyday reading and having great film conversations. I remember a lot of members that I haven't seen any postings in years. Kinda sad really, this is honestly where my passion developed for researching and studying films.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:25 PM
It's not just here.

Ain't It Cool News has been touched as well.

Right now, comments to threads can have as many as thirty-six posts.

I remember when that number was in the hundreds. It was an entertaining time waster.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:10 PM
I remember when I first got here. It was pretty cool because I dove headlong into Laserdisc at the time and this place helped me a lot in finding different variations and such with the movies. It's one of the big reasons my collection is so extensive now. I learned a lot from here and I am a little bummed about how dead it is now. Perhaps some new blood would liven it up some?
Old 07-27-2014, 10:56 AM
I still read the articles everyday, but I don't login. Starting around 2010 my internet browser stopped logging me in automatically everyday. Even though logging in only takes a few seconds, it sometimes seems too much when I just want to write a quick and simple post. Every time I close my browser I have to log back on to JoBlo.com.

I, too, have noticed a big drop off on the forums the last couple years. It must partially be because every website has information on movies now. It has become mainstream to have the inside look into movie productions. Just look at Comic-Con right now. Things that happened at Comic-Con used to be only discussed on places like JoBlo.com. Now-a-days, places like CNN, Yahoo, even Facebook have real-time updates on the convention. There are a million sites to visit when there were only a few 10 years ago. I'm still a loyal Schmoe, but it's sad to see the forum fan base decrease. Hopefully the main news section is still doing well.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:37 PM
What I see is the rise of rapid, diminutive communication (among previous mentioned reasons).

Places like Twitter, Facebook and other short message social media sites.

It is encouraged to be as brief as possible. The next step is typing in grunts, but I'm sure that's already happening now.

Why type a whole paragraph or log on to a site when you can do it over your phone with as minimum key strokes as possible.

Sure it strips away deeper, complex ideas for instant - real time correspondence.

But on the bright side, places like this are a haven for us 'sentencers'. We're not going away anytime soon. We're the family member who asks 'who got married to whom?' at gatherings. Not in the loop, left behind on by the popular kids.

Man, this IS like high school.

*grunt*
Old 07-29-2014, 12:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkface View Post
Starting around 2010 my internet browser stopped logging me in automatically everyday. Even though logging in only takes a few seconds, it sometimes seems too much when I just want to write a quick and simple post. Every time I close my browser I have to log back on to JoBlo.com.
Yes. This started happening to me about 1-2 years ago. And as small a thing as it is, it shits me big-time. But I still log in manually each and every single day.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIan View Post
*grunt*
Old 07-30-2014, 09:16 AM
I agree that the auto-logout stuff is (perhaps unfairly) a contributing factor. Incredibly annoying. And let's be clear: Joblo himself, almost without exception, responds to complaints like that and tries to fix it, and when it first started getting brought up effort was made, so it's not like no one cared. It just (for some of us) wasn't fixable, I guess.

I completely disagree that loosening the standards would have or would now help. The entire appeal of these forums as opposed to most others is that trolling and belittling didn't fly here. In fact, I would argue that part of what drove some away is that the standards did start to get looser in certain areas around 2009/10. I've absolutely been guilty of engaging trolls unnecessarily, and I regret that, but it's true that people were allowed (by whomever) to toe the line a lot more than in the past (i.e. carefully constructing insults/trolling to make them sorta-defensible within the rules but not the sort of stuff we like here).

Ultimately, though, the forums were driven by a steady, sharp, committed group (that I'm not including myself in) that kept things fresh and going. Those people grew up here, and then grew out of it and simply didn't have the time or desire to prioritize it. There's forums around that are thriving, but it's inevitably generational, and if the young ones aren't there, things change. I don't think there's any fundamental problem with the Joblo boards (although it's true -- and fair -- that the administrators have no need or desire to see this part of their site thrive), it's just a problem inherent to these things. I mean, we have once-popular schmoes who started in middle school and now have families, others working in the industry, etc etc.

The real answer, though? You and me are the problem. If you want this place to grow and be steady, post daily, post new topics, contribute to others, etc. It takes a village, yo.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:53 PM

I used to post very steadily around here (mostly about horror films) from 2002 until around early 2010. I ended up leaving the boards because there was so little activity from 2007 onward that it just wasn't worth it was increasingly not worth trying to discuss the movies I loved. During my hiatus my interest in movies (particularly horror movies) waned, so there was never much need to come back. Still, these forums will always hold a nostalgic place in my heart.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:44 PM
Lots of factors. People lost interest. The politics. The thinly veiled misogyny, racism and hatred going through a lot of threads (it still continues to this day). Lack of new blood. I only stay on here because there are a small handful of schmoes I like to keep in contact with.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:25 AM
I don't even know why I continue to post here; I'm certainly adept at avoiding the misogynistic-, racist-, sexist-laced threads and posts. Plus, you know, familiarity and comfort. Other forums I post on periodically basically require three forms of identification, for good reasons, but it certainly limits communication because you feel you have to make sure your post, your outpouring of opinion adhere to certain standards.

I just generally assumed the people that were posting actively the same time as I moved offline, something I did for a spell and something I'll probably do again yet.

When people seem a barren forum, they don't want to register which perpetuates the cycle.

In any case, I should probably collect contact info for other posters once these forums shutter.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:26 AM
ITs jsut boring now. The forums are never active. Theres not enough good members anymore and thats probably because the main page kinda sucks now.

What website is everybody else using now?
Old 08-27-2014, 01:41 PM
I still love this place but yeah, hopefully the forums pick up soon

Last edited by echo_bravo; 08-28-2014 at 10:48 AM..
Old 09-13-2014, 11:05 PM
Hello again. Like the rest of you, would love to see this place spring to life again. Miss how awesome it was. One thing in particular that stood out for me was the Horror Reviews section. 2011 and 2012 were important years for me when I finally did something with the unknown movies from horror movie conventions and shared them (as reviews) with the rest of you. It was me really contributing to this website for a change after being guilty of posting too many fan-fiction stories. It was a handful of us posting and sharing reviews, and it was a magical period. There are some particular schmoes from then who have been banned, whom I would like to see come back and be forgiven. And so, there should be a separate Horror Review section again.

Of course though, that particular forum topic and the other topics would have to be a alive and kicking again. Is the cause of this really the movie fan central page, as discussed elsewhere? I looked at it again and it's an okay page with top ten lists, videos and apparently an alternate place to post/talk. That may be for some people, but not for me. This main forum page was the reason I stayed after discovering Arrow's horror reviews. And I don't want to see this page and whole website shut down if it doesn't have to.

Truth be told, a lot of what the rest of you have said is probably true. The big personalities who used to post moved on, a lot of other people moved on as well, technology evolved and changed, and a lot things changed. That might be the simplest explanation. These forums wouldn't have been downsized if it was still big and popular. I point one finger at movie fan central for distracting others with an alternate place to post/talk and another finger to things changing. It's probably both.

If it saved the forums, I would love to see former schmoes who wish to come back be forgiven and given a second chance. The moderators should remain fairly strict as usual, but in one swift campaign, others who lost their way and made mistakes ought to be given a chance for redemption for the sake of boosting this website up again. I realize how unrealistic this may be, but am throwing it out there anyway. Other than that, I don't know what the answer is to reviving these forums. Wish I knew.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:17 AM
Quote:
Other than that, I don't know what the answer is to reviving these forums.
Easy answer... Fappening 2.0.

Come *giggle giggle* for the celebrity nudes.

Stay for the discussion whether or not the "He-Man" universe was nothing more than an advertisement for alternative lifestyles directed at kids. And various cinema/home media bits.

Safety word is "Teela".

OR

Real world based.

Have a booth or table at the local theater or video store - advertising the forums; recruit new blood.

Last edited by JohnIan; 09-14-2014 at 05:19 AM..
Old 09-14-2014, 02:51 PM
What are the other top movie-based sites?

Lets compare and contrast.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:02 PM
There's MovieWeb and Ain't It Cool News.

Various sub film forums on Reddit.

I'm currently haunting "Movies" thread.

Can't think of other places.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
The politics. The thinly veiled misogyny, racism and hatred going through a lot of threads (it still continues to this day).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayzlor View Post
I don't even know why I continue to post here; I'm certainly adept at avoiding the misogynistic-, racist-, sexist-laced threads and posts.
That sort of stuff has long been a problem but it seems like it's gradually won out as the people who used to combat it best have stopped beating their heads against the wall.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:01 AM
For me, it was just due to a steady decline in interesting users and regular posts, just like others have said.

The real straw that broke the camel's back for me was when the DVD subforum turned into a one-man spam-fest for upcoming releases.
I actually sent a carefully worded PM asking if the posts could just be dedicated to a single thread, because it was clogging topics that actually might have been of interest. I further mentioned that if I wanted to see upcoming movie dates, there were many many many sites that could show me, AND there was a thread dedicated to "Upcoming DVD/Blu-rays", so in my opinion it felt a little redundant.
I got a nastygram back from a user, saying that I was reported for rude behavior and that if it really bothered me, I should just skip [through the two pages a day of said posts] and look for what I want to reply to. Also, the response stated that I hurt their feelings and completely insulted their character.
I tried to respond with an apology, but I was blocked/put on ignore. THAT'S one way to get the last word, I guess!

At that point, everything just kind of came to a head:
- The forums were a kind of Ghost Town, with few productive threads that had interesting conversation, unlike 7+ years ago.
- Moviefancentral kind of pushed the whole concept of the forums into a social networking setting, and I already have Facebook and hate it, so I don't feel like I'm a part of that "generation" of bloggers/posters.
- I'm kind of oldschool, and I think that's essentially what forums have become in the long run. Sure there are still popular forums, but they have become much fewer and much farther between.
- The posters that I liked most have kind of disappeared. So the incentive has gone away to participate as well.

Who's fault is it? I doubt it's anyone's in particular. But it doesn't help when the majority of topics these days is spam and shallow, pointless threads.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:41 AM
Ive been wanting to ask Berge if hes finding more success mining his artilces over to Facebook and if hes getting more views that way but... he doesnt seem like hes around much.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:34 PM
Everything you love will die one day.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:44 PM
Maybe internet forums are dying breed of communication, but then again, with the right amount of advertising, promotion, and encouragement I believe you could certainly resuscitate these forums. It's partly the responsibility of the people who run this site to attract attention to the forums, but it's also partly our responsibility as members to do the same because we are the ones who are still enjoying what they have to offer.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:10 PM
link to racist/hateful threads??? if there are some, then I would like to know cause I haven't seen ANY. Are we talking about Mel Gibson here or what?

imo if you want to view that sort of shit , just join imdb. Here its pretty civil. Not perfect but civil for sure.

Last edited by echo_bravo; 09-30-2014 at 09:03 AM..
Old 10-19-2014, 10:13 AM
I'm relatively new and love it here. I don't use MFC, but I check the front page as much as I do any other film site. I think putting more of a focus on the site's forum would be a good idea, because from what I've seen this is where the real in-depth conversations about movies happen. JoBlo was saying he was gonna integrate the forums into MFC in a month or so, but that was three months ago so who knows. For whatever it's worth, I'll continue to post on these boards no matter what.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:23 PM
I certainly never felt that this board was overwhelmed with, or even remotely impacted by racial or gender biasses. Maybe it just went over my head. As a former mod though, albeit in a small capacity, there was no single moment when I intentionally detached myself from the site. In 2008 a little friction began, different opinions on how people should behave etc... And that just sort of blended into aging and simply not having the time to post daily. It's also become a lot easier to get info over the years. Stuff I would have come here first to check is now found on my facebook, twitter or reddit feed. I duno though man, it is a fuckin bummer.

Also shoutout to God of War, you're still my boy.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:45 PM
It certainly isn't what it used to be on these boards. I remember when the screenwriting board was pretty damn busy. Rinaldho or Rinalhdo (I believe) was a great resource when I first started on these boards.

This will always be my go-to for current movie talk and and TV shows running because my non-digital group of friends just aren't that big into the same type of films/shows. But it does seem there is only about a dozen or so schmoes that keep all threads of relevant stuff going.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xseanymacx View Post

This will always be my go-to for current movie talk and and TV shows running because my non-digital group of friends just aren't that big into the same type of films/shows.
Me too man, and a lot of other forums are full of a-holes or people I can't relate to, I like it here.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:05 PM
The world moves on I guess, I was 21 when I joined here, am 34 now. Seems like a lifetime ago, a different me. Would assume a lot of posters from this sites heyday have adult responsibilities now and have limited time for movies.