Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Books/Comics
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2006, 02:59 AM
Old 06-11-2006, 09:07 AM
Old 06-12-2006, 03:01 AM

Boy's Life - 10/10
Amazing novel. The end was a bit different than what I was expecting, but still interesting and beautiful. The last part was especially a nice touch. Overall, I loved it.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:44 PM
Light in August by William Faulkner - 9/10

Great book, and some of the best writing I've ever read. Gets marked down from a 10 just because it felt slow at a few parts. Wasn't very hard to read, only time I felt lost was in the second to last chapter (which, while it doesn't have a lot to do with the basic plot, contains a lot of important inner information about one of the main characters).
Old 06-12-2006, 05:18 PM
The book sounds excellent.
I just picked it up today so it might be the book I'll start reading first.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:37 PM
Little Children - 8/10
A pleasant read. I reccomend it. It's not that great, and the plot twists aren't astounding, but the characters are interesting and worked out well enough to make this novel worth your time.
It's really a good quick read.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:29 AM
Tenderness - 7/10

From author Robert Cormier (The Chocolate War), this is a pretty basic love story between two lost souls, but it's well written and a breeze to finish in one night. Not something I'll remember, but I liked the ironic, bittersweet ending.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:06 PM
Gerald's Game - 9/10

Stephen King is at his best when focusing on characters, and his claustrophobic tale of the primeval survival and psychological exploration a woman must go through ranks as one of his best. See, there's no need for talking anteaters -- even though we get a brief POV from a collie-lab named Prince. Top notch writing -- I myself am trying to write a one-character piece that really goes into stream of conscious monlogue, so King's writing style is something I'm trying (not too hard) to emulate.
Old 06-16-2006, 04:19 PM
The Dark Tower: The Drawing of the Three - 8/10

Much improved over the first installment.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:27 AM
I just recently finished a book by Jack Ketchum titled Off Season. I've never read any of his books before and I came across this at my local Wal-Mart. I figured I'd give it a try since we've been slow at work. I could not put this book down for the life of me. I was instantly hooked. Expertly written and extremely well paced. It's 200+ full on, in-your-face slasher horror, gore laden pages that will tear you a new one. The synopsis is as follows,

(A beautiful New York editor retreats to a lonely cabin on a hill in the quiet Maine beach town of Dead River - off season - awaiting her sister and friends. Nearby, a savage human family with a taste for flesh lurks in the darkening woods, watching, waiting for the moon to rise and night to fall....

And before too many hours pass, five civilized, sophisticated people and one tired old country sheriff will learn just how primitive we all are beneath the surface...and that there are no limits at all to the will to survive.)

If you are a fan of horror, slashers, relentless action/gore, give this a read. You wont be dissapointed.

-Prime
Old 06-17-2006, 11:33 AM

I give it 9/10
Old 06-17-2006, 08:55 PM
Boy you're really going at those King books.
I need to read more of his novels, but at least I read Four Seasons.
That was a beautiful novel...

I bought 'Cell' a while ago, but I still haven't finished more than the first two parts.
I'd usualyl blame, when Summer is here, but...Summer break is over for me tomorrow. Here comes summer semester.
Maybe in August hehe
Old 06-17-2006, 09:32 PM
dman

Glad you loved Boys Life.

Halfway through Utopia by Lincoln Child. Fun beach read

Then Im going to try on old science fiction book called Demolished Man by Alfred Bester.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by chinton
dman

Glad you loved Boys Life.
Me too. Thanks Chinton.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:17 PM
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon - 9/10
Old 06-20-2006, 11:31 PM
The Devil Wears Prada - 7/10

Just sit back and enjoy this guilty pleasure, a glimpse (more like a fly on the wall view) of the fashion world and the empire of editorial, where the lowest common denominator of people sell their souls to be in the presence of one Miranda Priestley.

Read in preparation for the film, which hopes to be half as amusing.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:47 PM
The Dark Tower III: The Wastelands - 9/10

I love how the Randal Flagg mythos/character is tied into this story, which is improving vastly from its relatively minimal beginning.

When Tick Tock Man shouted "My life for you!" I was giddy with delight.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by PrimeSuspect
I just recently finished a book by Jack Ketchum titled Off Season. I've never read any of his books before and I came across this at my local Wal-Mart. I figured I'd give it a try since we've been slow at work. I could not put this book down for the life of me. I was instantly hooked. Expertly written and extremely well paced. It's 200+ full on, in-your-face slasher horror, gore laden pages that will tear you a new one. The synopsis is as follows,

(A beautiful New York editor retreats to a lonely cabin on a hill in the quiet Maine beach town of Dead River - off season - awaiting her sister and friends. Nearby, a savage human family with a taste for flesh lurks in the darkening woods, watching, waiting for the moon to rise and night to fall....

And before too many hours pass, five civilized, sophisticated people and one tired old country sheriff will learn just how primitive we all are beneath the surface...and that there are no limits at all to the will to survive.)

If you are a fan of horror, slashers, relentless action/gore, give this a read. You wont be dissapointed.

-Prime
I'm sold. Actually i've been sold on this for a while now. But I was waiting for the author's uncensored edition to be published at an affordable price. It was previously available only via Cemetary Dance Publications for a jaw droppingly inflated price. Now that the uncensored edition has hit mass market...bring it fucking on!!!
Old 06-25-2006, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lazy Boy
Gerald's Game - 9/10

Stephen King is at his best when focusing on characters, and his claustrophobic tale of the primeval survival and psychological exploration a woman must go through ranks as one of his best. See, there's no need for talking anteaters -- even though we get a brief POV from a collie-lab named Prince. Top notch writing -- I myself am trying to write a one-character piece that really goes into stream of conscious monlogue, so King's writing style is something I'm trying (not too hard) to emulate.
This is one of the less celebrated King books. Personally I loved it. It's been years since I last read it (I generally only read books once...there are too many great novels to get through and precious little time to do so) but I do recall getting some serious chills when the entire truth of her nocturnal visitor was revealed. Oh boy!!!
Old 06-26-2006, 12:58 PM
The Stranger - 9/10

An interesting portrait (I guess you could call it existential) of a man who distances himself from any emotional contact with society. It was a quick read, but I'm sure there's enough density and subtext within each paragraph for me to take a deeper look.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:15 PM
Hey Psychocandy, by any chance...you wouldn't happen to know where I can find a copy of Jack Ketchum's OFF SPRING would you? It's the sequal to Off Season and I cant find the damn anywhere, even with the aid of Google. Either no one has it, or its "on order" or something. I checked Overstock and it says the books being released sometime in 6/06. If ANYONE knows were I can find this book, please let me know. Thanks

-Prime
Old 06-28-2006, 05:51 PM
Franny and Zooey - 4/10

Ew. I disliked this tremendously. Talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, all by a bunch of snobby, snotty cretins.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:42 PM

Silent Hill: Dying Inside Issues 1-5 (end).

Just not very good. The plot is silly, the art is terrible (half the time I didn't know what the hell was happening), it wasn't very SHish, and it felt rushed.

But hey, it's Silent Hill.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:43 PM
Quote:
The Stranger - 9/10

An interesting portrait (I guess you could call it existential) of a man who distances himself from any emotional contact with society. It was a quick read, but I'm sure there's enough density and subtext within each paragraph for me to take a deeper look.
Glad you liked it.
It is very dense, but a quick read like you said.
Now go and read some Sartre.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by dman476
Glad you liked it.
It is very dense, but a quick read like you said.
Now go and read some Sartre.

"Don't tell me what I can or can't read!"

I'm too engrossed in the fourth Dark Tower book at this minute...I'm...I'm...I'm losing my mind...so many authors, too little time.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:19 AM
Quote:

"Don't tell me what I can or can't read!"
Murderous . . . impulse . . . escalating.

Anyway:

Silent Hill: The Grinning Man

Much like "Dying Inside", it's a bizzarre and boring story with terrible art (I never know exactly what the hell is going on) and dull characters. They're aslo too short to make a Silent Hill caliber plot.

On to "Paint it Black" . . .
Old 06-29-2006, 12:46 AM

Silent Hill: Among The Damned

The best so far, but it's by no means good. It's actually understandable and has some of the most bizzarre imagery I've seen, proper of Silent Hill. But the plot is a mess (though the premise is interesting).
Old 06-29-2006, 01:10 AM

Silent Hill - Paint It Black

It's definitely the best, but it's way TOO bizzarre. Get this: a slacker artists finds his muse in Silent Hill, who allows him to stay there and paint the atrocities that walk its streets. It's fine until a year later, a group of hot cheerleaders show up to ruin his party. Of course, that is until two of them dissapear and they bring out lots of gun and survivalist training to go to the rescue.

At least Pyramid Heads made a show for a couple of panels.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:11 PM
10/10

"Sabbath's Theater"
by
Philip Roth

Painfully brilliant, gloriously cynical, wonderfully moving, outrageously erotic (of the describe every juice dribbling variety), all of the above.

How exciting an introduction to Mr. Roth this is. One Wikipedia click later reveals a body of work oozing with praise and, now, with my personal anticipation. Dig...this...guy!
Old 06-30-2006, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Franny and Zooey - 4/10

Ew. I disliked this tremendously. Talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, all by a bunch of snobby, snotty cretins.
Is this the one that's supposed to be similar to The Royal Tenenbaums or Tenenbaums was influence by it?
Old 06-30-2006, 04:33 PM
Is it? I don't know, but now that you mentioned it, that could be the case. It's about a family of intellectuals who have been smothered by their "whiz kid" upbringing.

Old 07-03-2006, 04:20 PM
The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass - 9/10
Old 07-03-2006, 06:55 PM
Light in August - 10/10

Excellent piece. I really didn't expect it, but it was touching funny, and a wonderful jounrey. I'll be on the lookout for more Faulkner.
I didn't find a problem with the before last chapter, but there were a few problems, but nontheless, it was one of the best novels I'd read in some time so props to Faulkner and bluesbrother.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:56 PM
THE LOVELY BONES - 6.5/10

I don't know if it was just me, or bad editing or just plain bad WRITING, but I found myself getting lost in what was going on a lot. I'd be like, "wait, who's this person again? Where are we right now?" I wouldn't understand the location of a character, and one chapter started with "she [did this]," and "she [did that]," yet they didn't name who this person was until around the 4th paragraph. There are several female characters in this book, too.

As for the story itself, it's alright, but not fantastic. At all.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by dman476
Light in August - 10/10

Excellent piece. I really didn't expect it, but it was touching funny, and a wonderful jounrey. I'll be on the lookout for more Faulkner.
I didn't find a problem with the before last chapter, but there were a few problems, but nontheless, it was one of the best novels I'd read in some time so props to Faulkner and bluesbrother.
I just got kinda lost in that chapter, mind must've been wandering. Glad you liked it.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bluesbrother965
I just got kinda lost in that chapter, mind must've been wandering. Glad you liked it.
Oh well, thanks for that, and the reccomendation. Can't wait to hear what you think about the Centaur.
I started the Myth of Sisyphus today and it is amazing so far.
Camus' most immersive work I've read, from what I can tell.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:27 PM
Lunar Park by Bret Easton Ellis

A nice break from Ellis' usual stuff. It's nice to finally see an emotional main character. At times it's quite creepy and the ultimate conclusion surprinsingly deep and bittersweet.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:09 PM
Finished the Centaur (embarrassed, that took me a while, always put off reading during the summer). Had a couple dull patches (just like Light in August), but I liked it a lot. Thanks for the reccomendation, dman, I'm going to read more Updike some time soon.

Now reading My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok. I've read another of his books, the Chosen, and liked it a lot, and I need to start on the Honors English summer reading list.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bluesbrother965
Finished the Centaur (embarrassed, that took me a while, always put off reading during the summer). Had a couple dull patches (just like Light in August), but I liked it a lot. Thanks for the reccomendation, dman, I'm going to read more Updike some time soon.

Now reading My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok. I've read another of his books, the Chosen, and liked it a lot, and I need to start on the Honors English summer reading list.
Well, I'm glad you liked it and finished it.
I've reccomended it to some friends, and some didn't like it, but I'm glad you did. To me, it is the perfect novel, but I am a little weird so, there's that. And most of Updike isn't nearly as insightful and heartwarming but there are some solid novels by him. The Rabbit series is excellent, which you bought, and I like Brazil too.
I should read some more of his works too, but the next author I'm reading after my batch of books is Bellow.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:43 PM
Bag of Bones - 6/10

It starts off okay, but devolves into a predictable, over the top, silly outcome. Disappointing, considering the positive reviews this has received.