Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Books/Comics
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2008, 02:40 PM

6.5/10
Old 10-27-2008, 10:52 AM
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead (Tom Stoppard, 1966)

7/10
Old 10-28-2008, 10:52 AM
finished last nite

9/10
Old 10-30-2008, 01:08 PM

Slaughterhouse Five: Or the Children's Crusade, a Duty Dance With Death
by Kurt Vonnegut

Finally got around to this. Been meaning to read it for like the past 7 years, for one reason or another never got around to it until now. Brilliant book, though. Ridiculously imaginative and filled to the brim with wildly inventive, offbeat, entirely original ideas that most writers (or people) couldn't match more than once or twice, yet he does it repeatedly and seemingly without effort, and it always services the story rather than distracts the reader. It's pretty magnificent how he can construct an entire novel full of crazy ideas by mostly just referencing and elaborating on things that've already happened. It's also pretty magnificent how many different emotional responses he can evoke all at once: it's hilarious, poignant, whimsical, hopeless, depressing, zany, disturbing, and more. It's again magnificent how in its finality, and I also got this out of Cat's Cradle, the book simultaneously communicates the ideas that everything is pointless and meaningless, and that everything is important and in dire straits, desperately in need of fixing. Though that's something I've never really heard from other people or from critics or anything, so I may be alone of that. Who knows (So it goes? Haha!).

Makes me very eager to read a bunch more Vonnegut when I get the chance. My dad is always urging me to read Vonnegut, talking about the Vonnegut craze he went through as a teenager, burning through book after book. I've only read this and Cat's Cradle. Thinking about Breakfast of Champions, Sirens of Titan, Mother Night, the big ones. Eventually I'd like to get around to Welcome to the Monkeyhouse, God Bless You Mr. Rosewater, Player Piano, Jailbird, Bluebeard, maybe some others. I'll probably only ever get around to maybe half of them.

Anywho, before all that, next up is finishing The Dharma Bums and then starting Portnoy's Complaint. After that, Naked Lunch. I'll have to wait and see how much time I'll actually have to read, though...

Last edited by Powerslave; 10-30-2008 at 01:11 PM..
Old 10-30-2008, 03:44 PM
Every time I think of Kurt Vonnegut I can't help but think about his cameo in Back To School. It's pretty funny.

I'm currently reading ROOTS. It's one I've been meaning to read for years and now finally I am. Very good book, but it does nothing for one's sense of feeling good about your fellow man.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:51 AM

8/10
Old 11-03-2008, 04:33 PM

8/10
Old 11-03-2008, 05:09 PM
Just finished this:

8/10

Currently reading this:

Old 11-04-2008, 03:55 AM

Wizard in Glass

Book 3 of the series left off with such a cliffhanger that I couldn't wait to start this one. I have fallen in love with Roland's world and am just so intrigued with every little detail that King has imagined into this land. But with this book you spend almost all of it in Roland's past when he is a kid. I personally didn't like this very much. I don't want to say to much but there wasn't that real grand feeling I was getting when Roland, Eddie, Susannah, and Jake are traveling through the "present." I got pretty tired of the love story and corruption going on for pretty much this whole book. It just seemed to drag and drag. It did pick up there from about page 500 and on and will say that I really enjoyed the book from then on but before that the story was really slow.

I will say that this book is good but is my least favorite of the first 4. The last 1/4 of the book really kicked it back in gear and when the story of Roland's past is over you I was hooked back into the adventure to the Dark Tower.

4/5
Old 11-04-2008, 11:39 AM
ZMoney - I don't know if you know this, but The Dark Tower world spills over into a lot of other King books. You may want to pick some of them up as well...stuff like Hearts In Atlantis, From A Buick 8, etc...(just to name a few).

You may also want to check out the comic book series. It's really well done.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:56 AM

Enjoyed both a lot!
Old 11-04-2008, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthWade View Post
ZMoney - I don't know if you know this, but The Dark Tower world spills over into a lot of other King books. You may want to pick some of them up as well...stuff like Hearts In Atlantis, From A Buick 8, etc...(just to name a few).

You may also want to check out the comic book series. It's really well done.
Yeah I did know this but I have been trying to decide if I want to read all The Dark Tower before I dabble into his other works so that I can keep the wonder of all the characters intact. I can't tell if it will be more interesting to not have any back story and anything that happens in his other books.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:19 PM
The other books have some pretty interesting connections that may appeal to you. One is fairly important and Randal Flagg appears in The Stand as well as Eyes Of The Dragon.

Also, Creepshow 2 has a connection to the Dark Tower as well...don't know if you've seen the movie yet so I won't say anything (it's a minor point, but it's there).

You don't have to read any of the other books to appreciate TDT, but they are out there and it's kind of cool to spot the crossovers.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:12 PM
Completely forgot to post when I finished these...

Paper Towns (John Green) - 10/10
The Book of Lost Things (John Connelly) - 10/10
Eragon (Christopher Paolini) - 9/10
Old 11-07-2008, 02:11 AM
Y: The Last Man!!

Just finished reading book 3. awesome series. Hope the movie is just as good.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:38 AM
I just read the latest Halloween graphic novel, called Halloween:Nightdance and loved it.

It fits right into the whole Michael Myers/Halloween mythos and is an intelligent and suspenseful little piece of work.

Recommended for fans of the Shape.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:16 AM
The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac

The Matterhorn episode is the highlight, but the book as a whole is highly entertaining, readable, and fascinating.

8/10
Old 11-10-2008, 02:04 PM

9/10
Old 11-11-2008, 11:07 AM
Ragtime by E.L. Doctorow

A masterpiece. Ridiculously readable, profound, poignant, insightful, funny (darkly or otherwise), and freakishly, mind-bogglingly well-constructed. In that respect it reminded me of another favorite of mine, A Confederacy of Dunces, which has a very similar narrative structure, though Ragtime also has the factor of seamlessly weaving brilliantly rendered real-life events and historical figures with brilliantly devised fictional characters. On that note, I love the fact that we're dealing with Pre-WWI America, which is a time period I've always has a great interest in but seems to be ignored in lots of fiction. And it's dealt with so well here. Really, a masterpiece. Very deserving of the acclaim it's garnered.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:16 PM
Watchmen 01-03
Brilliant so far.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:57 AM
I just finished reading Roots by Alex Hayley.

Awesome book but the ending bothered me a little. An excellent read though.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:09 AM
Portnoy's Complaint by Phillip Roth

Brilliant. A bit tiring at times, since it is literally a man complaining about his life for 274 pages, but in that complaint you find an amazingly rendered, complete portrayal of this man, his life, his problems, and the things that may or may not have caused those problems. It's also a remarkable feat in general to write an entire novel as one long unbroken stream-of-consciousness rant and still communicate everything that's communicated here.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:23 AM

Southland Tales I - Two Roads Diverge
Old 11-19-2008, 09:52 AM
Water for Elephants (Sara Gruen) - 7.5/10
Old 11-19-2008, 04:53 PM

8/10
Old 11-21-2008, 12:06 PM

9/10

If Mendes screws this up, he might as well get fixed for a hell toupee. Perfectly captures the wheeling dealing nature of Frank Wheeler as a salesman and husband, and the "empty shell" of April as his wife.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:57 PM

My 17th Cussler Book.

This was a good quick read coming in at 345 pages and the plot kept me interested enough. Dirt Pitt comes off as a nice suave hero in this book but some of the other characters were a little thin and a bit unbelievable. There isn't much of a Dirt and Al duo in this book which is something that was really enjoyable in some of his other books.

The plot for this book was a little strange to me. I'm not sure if it's because times have changed and our enemies and what not are different but the conflict just never really hit home with me.

Still this book was a good read and I did enjoy it.

4/5
Old 11-22-2008, 01:10 AM
Clive Barker's Everville. The most brilliant, genius novel ever written.

EVER

Old 11-24-2008, 05:04 PM
Old 11-24-2008, 10:02 PM

7/10

8/10

Fun books. I dont know why people have a blinding hate for them. They have a good mix of the Connery Bond with the plots of Moore era.

Next up is No Deals, Mr. Bond.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:46 AM

Just After Sunset - 6/10

Is it me, or does Stephen King no longer have what it takes to write good horror? Ok, yes, he's better in short story form than his bloated recent novels of late, but it's become painfully obvious, through many of the titles on display here, how little he's discerning himself from past scenarios. Mystical Negro character who heals white people? I already read The Green Mile, don't need "Ayana" to be a 20 page retread. Pick up a copy of Night Shift; there's a great story about a man being forced by gunpoint to travel along the edge of a narrow apartment ledge. Rinse, recycle, King uses a similar scenario, only 30 years later, a character has to extract himself from the bowels of a port-a-potty.

Weak.

Like fans of the show Lost, there will likewise be apologetic types telling me how I don't get what King is going for, that it's less about the visceral horrors or the boogeymen under the bed than it is about the fear of mortality. I can understand the common link with many of these stories, but it felt like something to live and let die in the bowels of a classroom closet Stevie attended as a youth. No need to drudge up some of these clunkers. I've been afraid his stock has been falling since Dreamcatcher (and, likewise, since his accident). Coincidence? I think not; while his characterization is still strong, it's become even more evident something else was taken from him.

King's strongest efforts are "Willa" and the brilliantly done 10 pager about a woman pondering a post-graduation life. "Gingerbread Girl" is an interesting pulp thriller that unfortunately sacrifices sympathy for a character and replaces it with pulp cat-and-mouse thrills. "Stationary Bike" ended interestingly. The rest of the stories go pretty much downhill from there.

Last edited by Lazy Boy; 11-25-2008 at 01:50 AM..
Old 11-28-2008, 03:59 AM

The Hunger Games

This is the first Young Adult book that I've read in a long while and I must say it was awesome. This book hooked me right from the get go. It's set in the ruins of North America after wars and rebellions have destroyed the states and now they are split up into 12 different districts. In order to show control over the districts the "Capitol" requires each district to send one boy and one girl between the ages of 12 and 18 to compete in a competition called "The Hunger Games." In these games the contestants are taken to a wildness arena and are forced to fight to the death while it's all being captured on camera for the Capitol's entertainment.

This book was great. The characters are written very well and the author goes outside the norms with the story and kept me guessing for pretty much the whole book. The society in which they live in is very original and just really fun to read about. This is a very fast passed book with lots of action and not tons of descriptions that bog down the pace. I read this really fast and can't wait for the next one to come out.

5/5
Old 11-28-2008, 10:42 AM
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft, Stephen King

A must-read for any aspiring author of fiction, or just fans of King. Highly recommended.

4/4

I'm starting Neil Gaiaman's Neverwhere, over the Summer X-Nightcrawler recommended Gaiaman to me-haven't gotten around to it 'til now though.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:47 PM

The Reader - 7/10

Good book, but maybe the translation didn't happen to carry over any sadness that I'm sure was evident from the original language. I just read it in time for the film version to see which adapts better.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:46 PM
The Safety of Objects - 8/10

Excellent series of short stories by A.M. Homes -- I've always been aware of her, but never took the time to delve into her style. Outlandishly bizarre and grotesque portrait of suburbia. Very good writer.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:39 AM

Extremely well written book by Woodward. Many books dealing with politics and political science can be plagued with a thick dryness and just reporting the facts, but Woodward follows a sort of narrative here. Of course, the story in itself, the Bush Administration's ultimate failure of responding to the unsuccessful strategy quickly enough, is extremely fascinating. A lot of what went on reminded me of petty high school drama, and was just blown away by some decisions made by some very powerful people. People like Rumsfeld, Rice, Bush, General Casey aren't just figures, they're characters. A book I'd highly recommend.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:02 AM

The second in the Morningstar Saga continues. This was a really fun book. The story continues a few months after the first books finishes and finds Shermans group continuing their journey across the U.S. The characters in this series are developed in a very convincing way by the author. You have an understanding and a feel for each of the characters as they battle the undead in this post-apocalyptic would. I really like this author's take on the zombie genre with the sprinters and the shamblers as the different type of infected zombies. The action in this book is great and very frequent. The settings/feeling/actions in this book are described very well by the author and really make this book flow very well. I finished this in just a few days and can't wait for the next.

5/5
Old 12-04-2008, 06:00 PM
Dead Babies - 7/10

A blistering, satirical look at young ne'er-do-wells who set aside a weekend for drugs, promiscuous sex, and MUR-der. Martin Amis has a perverse sense of humor that was bequeathed no doubt to successors like Irvine Welsh, but he leaves you tired out with the verbal foreplay and the rather odious cast of characters, with such names as Keith Whitehead and Giles Coldstream (sexual dysfunction at its finest!).
Old 12-06-2008, 10:53 PM
On Thursday:

9.5/10
Old 12-06-2008, 11:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Boy View Post
Oryx and Crake - 6/10
Blasphemy!

Atwoods best book imo.