So anyone out there like Christian
rock?

Raven
Old 01-01-2003, 02:43 AM
Re: Anybody like Christian Rock?So,

Quote:
Originally posted by RavenBlade
P.O.D.

This is technically a secular band made up of Christians who write in some of their lyrics about God.

I'm not a Christian and detest religion, but i listen to all music because i repsect the artistry. Skillet and Pax 317 is good. If you like lighter stuff, try some of Kevin Maxx (formerly of DC talk) solo stuff. More of a techno type sound. For people like me, turn off the lyrics and listen. Good Stuff

Peace.
Old 01-01-2003, 12:02 PM
*edit*

It's been over a year since I posted here and my ideology has completely changed.

I still have no problem with christian music, but I don't much listen to it anymore.

Last edited by SubMethod; 03-04-2005 at 01:31 PM..
Old 01-01-2003, 12:10 PM
Woulda loved to have seen The Newsboys in concert.

I think the next time
The Autumn Blaze Festival
hits NJ, I will go.

A really good band is Pillar,
although if your not Christian,
you might find it hard to listen
to, yet even harder to resist.
On their first album, they even had
a bass riff that came right out
of Faith No More, which is rather
impressive. And by that I don't
mean an exact copy, or rip off,
but just that it sounded like it.
I forgot the name of the
bass player in F.N.M.

Raven
Old 01-01-2003, 04:05 PM
Can someone define Christian rock? I never understood what it meant.

Raven: the name of FNM bass player is Bill Gould
Old 01-01-2003, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by JustOneFix
Can someone define Christian rock? I never understood what it meant.

Raven: the name of FNM bass player is Bill Gould
*edit*

see last post

Last edited by SubMethod; 03-04-2005 at 01:32 PM..
Old 01-02-2003, 04:59 PM
No offense intended, but the labeling of "Christian rock" just seems ludicrous to me. I listen to rock period. Why can't a band write whatever lyrics they want to without being lumped into a lyrical category? Subgenres should be defined by musical content, not lyrical content. I enjoy some of P.O.D.'s music and I could care less what their religious beliefs are. The same goes for Cannibal Corpse and Six Feet Under.
Old 01-02-2003, 05:58 PM
Bands that are called Christian that I listen to and enjoy...

Project 86
Zao
Living Sacrifice
Short of Breath
Zao
Norma Jean
Old 01-02-2003, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by countchocula
No offense intended, but the labeling of "Christian rock" just seems ludicrous to me. I listen to rock period. Why can't a band write whatever lyrics they want to without being lumped into a lyrical category? Subgenres should be defined by musical content, not lyrical content. I enjoy some of P.O.D.'s music and I could care less what their religious beliefs are. The same goes for Cannibal Corpse and Six Feet Under.
That would be great. If it wasn't categorized as "christian rock" then lots of great bands would be able to make it big.
Old 01-03-2003, 03:13 PM
I'm curious; is anyone into Evanescence? I think they're classified as Christian rock, but I'm really not sure. You've probably heard "Bring Me To Life" off of the Daredevil soundtrack. If you haven't, download it immediately. Amy Lee's vocals are breathtaking. The band almost has a Lacuna Coil vibe to them. The song features the lead singer from 12 Stones, but he's pretty much irrelevant. I've downloaded a lot of their stuff and have been to every site that at least mentions them. It's frustrating to love a band that doesn't have much information available aside from a biography. Their debut album should be out in a few months.
Old 01-04-2003, 02:11 AM
Quote:
Why can't a band write whatever lyrics they want to without being lumped into a lyrical category

Because for ppl like me who dont believe in religion as to not
offend. But like you said, if i like the music enough, i listen, though I put it on Karyoke (sp) mode on my stereo. Many ppl dont think that its a big deal, but imagine being a "die hard bible thumping" christian and listening to Maryln Manson's lyrics about religion.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:40 AM
countchocula --

While I agree the labeling of things is a bit mundane, in this case I happen to think it might be a good idea. I think it's meant to divide the rock between sex, drugs, angst and the sort between the spiritual stuff. it might not be too cool if some kid accidentally picked up Black Sabbath because he sure did dig that hard rock he heard on PAX TV's music video show.

Heh - then again, that would actually be pretty cool.

Haha.

You get where I'm coming from though -- I think it's to sort of the "bad seeds"

But usually I think that subdividing genres is silly. And this is coming from a guy who has his iTunes library divided into genres, and has sat and contemplated going ahead and splitting up House and Trance music, only to decide doing an Electronica and Dance split instead.

Old 03-04-2005, 03:37 PM
I see your point. Labels make it easier for people to find what they want. I do get irritated when Christians refuse to listen to secular music, though. I've lied to some people about certain bands just to get them to listen to it. "Um, yeah, Fear Factory is a Christian group."

A couple of Christian bands that I've taken to are Demon Hunter and Blindside. Has anyone heard of them?

Quote:
I'm curious; is anyone into Evanescence? I think they're classified as Christian rock, but I'm really not sure. You've probably heard "Bring Me To Life" off of the Daredevil soundtrack. If you haven't, download it immediately. Amy Lee's vocals are breathtaking. The band almost has a Lacuna Coil vibe to them. The song features the lead singer from 12 Stones, but he's pretty much irrelevant. I've downloaded a lot of their stuff and have been to every site that at least mentions them. It's frustrating to love a band that doesn't have much information available aside from a biography. Their debut album should be out in a few months.
That's pretty damn funny. I had no clue that they would explode. I haven't listened to Evanescence in quite a while, but I still wouldn't mind marrying Amy Lee.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:49 PM
To be honest, I'm very out of touch with X-tian music. The only bands I can think of off hand is, what was it? Petra? That was out when I was young and getting into Slayer and the sort. I appreciated it, and respected it. Never rocked out too much to it.

But I can share a funny story about Christian RocK Bands

Well, I was in a band a we rented warehouse space. Next to us was a Christian Rock band that practiced. We all hung out, it was nice because we weren't always trying to get them to party, and they weren't always trying to convert us. We would often jam together and listen to each others new stuff, and critique, etc. Musicians among musicians.

One night the drummer and I (bass) were jamming late, and we get a knock. It's the bassist from the other band (really wish I'd remembered their name - I can't even remember OUR bands name, I'm that bad....) He was in, and heard us jamming -- wanted to hang. Cool.

So he comes in and says something to the effect of, "You know, you guys might want to tell your girlfriends to not leave their pot laying around." Me buddy and I were like "?!?!?" and the Christian guy pulls out a sack. We were embarressed saying, "Oh, man - sorry. Jeez. Stupid!" and so forth.

Then it got weird.

He grins and asks if we want to smoke it. Now, the funny thing here is that my buddy and I weren't really pot heads - we smoked, not as much as some people, but we were sober when he asked us this. For some reason that made it trippier.

The guy knew were the bong was, grabbed it -- no water. No problem. This Christian bass player, grabs a half drunk mountain dew with some cigarette butts floating in it and pours the dew into the bong. I say, "ewww" and he tells me it's not big deal if the dope tastes like Mountain Dew. Hell no! I thought! You're here to party!

So we get high, and he spends the next hour getting into a deep conversation about his life and so-forth. All pretty normal stuff, situation aside.

Anyway, whenever I think of Christian bands, that story eventually comes to mind.

Last edited by The Postmaster General; 03-04-2005 at 03:51 PM..
Old 03-04-2005, 04:03 PM
Were they called Higher Than Heaven or A Natural High? David 4:20 maybe? Holy Bong Water? Bubba, we should start a Christian/stoner rock band.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:36 PM
Actually another part of the weirdness is that his band-mates weren't cool with that, and we all had to keep it our secret. We asked him about the Christian thing, but he said smoking wasn't a big deal to him.

As for band names.....

I'm keen to LUKE 4:20

Then call the album: The Gospil According to Luke 4:20

I have some lyrics:

"higher with JC"

(think music droning guitars, heavy bass, drums working the toms distorted voice)

[verse 1]
Shinning from the above
Melting to the soul
I reach out for another pinch
Put Christ's love in the bowl.

I get higher with thee
Get lower with He
Take a toke now with me
We'll get higher with..... [stop music] J!! C!! (backup: HIGHER WITH JC!)

(drum build)

[verse 2]

That's all I've got so far

Old 03-04-2005, 05:43 PM
Verse 2

A psychotropic blessing from above
I inhale the smoke of my maker's hand
A holy temple lacquered with the Virgin Mary Jane
Christ's cannabis is back by popular demand

Kissed by a seraph awash with ganja
The cleansing spirit rolls one with glee
Heaven's inveiglement brings tears to my eyes
God, won't you smoke some shit with me?

I think we've got something here!
Old 03-05-2005, 07:45 PM
this thread is so funny... u people act like to believe in God means to give up everything... Jesus is my savior, and i love God with all my heart... but i can still fire up the reefer, there are quite a few manson songs that jam... as most of his rants are about the church and how the holier than thou religious sets... as far as christian rock goes, i love the idea of it, but except for a few exceptions i havent got into it much... but i say long live it... stryper forever
Old 03-05-2005, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by starcat
this thread is so funny... u people act like to believe in God means to give up everything...
Who? I think we are mostly refering to the type of people you would see in movies like Saved -- The PAX-TV crowd who think Full House is edgy/break-out TV. I'm not speaking of mearly the faithful, I'm refering to the one's with parents who petition to have Judas Priest albums pulled from shelves. I'm pretty sure those people are the reason there is a seperate "Christian" rock.

stryper forever

Yeah! That was the other one I was trying to think of. Was Petra a band too, or is that just a model?

Whoa, Count! Your a damned great lyricist! I think we should use fake names indicidually to. I call shotgun on bass guitar. And my name will be JOHN THE BASSIST
Old 03-05-2005, 09:23 PM
im pretty sure petra was a band, but i never listened to them... but people finding full house an edgy breakout show... that was freakin hillarious, i almost spit my drink out....
Old 03-06-2005, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BubbaStrangelove
Whoa, Count! Your a damned great lyricist! I think we should use fake names indicidually to. I call shotgun on bass guitar. And my name will be JOHN THE BASSIST
Heh, thanks. I'll be Father Inferior, the lead singer/kazoo player.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by starcat
this thread is so funny... u people act like to believe in God means to give up everything... Jesus is my savior, and i love God with all my heart... but i can still fire up the reefer, there are quite a few manson songs that jam... as most of his rants are about the church and how the holier than thou religious sets... as far as christian rock goes, i love the idea of it, but except for a few exceptions i havent got into it much... but i say long live it... stryper forever
I agree fully.

Rock On!!
Old 03-22-2005, 07:51 PM
Are you guys missing the part where no one ever said a Christian shouldn't smoke pot.

But I think I'm figuring things out here.....

I think it's funny that a Christian rocker solicited me to smoke pot, because it was just such a suprise.

The Christian rockers think it's funny that something like this would suprise me.

I think it's funny that they rockers don't realize this isn't normal behavior.

They think it's funny because everyone smokes, and everyone knows that.

I think it's funny because even though everyone knows that, it still always gets you to see someone you don't expect light up.

Then they think that's funny.

ANALYSIS: STONED PEOPLE THINK EVERYTHING IS FUNNY
Old 03-23-2005, 06:21 PM
Yes my favorite Christian rock group is called 'Christian Death'. They are very inspirational I can hear the Lord in their music. Unfortunatly I believe the bandleader Roz Williams killed him/her(?)self a few years back. Probably couldn`t stand to live in a world full of sin.

P.S. - Bubba & count, this Christian stoner rock band is GOLD! Great lyrics by the way count. I`ll call up the guys from Toxin and see if we can`t get something going.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:36 PM
Okay, Elgyn's in.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Elgyn
Yes my favorite Christian rock group is called 'Christian Death'. They are very inspirational I can hear the Lord in their music. Unfortunatly I believe the bandleader Roz Williams killed him/her(?)self a few years back. Probably couldn`t stand to live in a world full of sin.

P.S. - Bubba & count, this Christian stoner rock band is GOLD! Great lyrics by the way count. I`ll call up the guys from Toxin and see if we can`t get something going.
Trouble is a cool stoner doom metal band and they had at least a phase of their career where they were very christian influenced.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:36 PM
I`ve heard some of Trouble`s stuff, but I`ve never actually sat down and listened to a whole album or anything. They seem alright.

And Black Sabbath had a song with Chrsitian-themed lyrics called "After Forever"......but it was after Ozzy left....can`t remember which singer it was at the time...

P.S. - Do you guys know who Christian Death really was? Or am I too old?
Old 09-16-2012, 09:30 PM
Stryper is great. their cover album is good. there version of heave and hell is great along over the moutain
Old 09-17-2012, 01:13 AM
Weird thread. But it's interesting how there's a lot more openly Christian artists actually popular in the mainstream (though the quality we could of course debate) such as Sufjan, Owl City, The Fray.

And I mean, Lecrae is a Christian rapper whose most recent album was the top selling album on iTunes in ANY genre last week. Not saying very many non-Christians are buying that record, but it's interesting compared to how things used to be.