Old 01-04-2003, 12:41 AM
Catcher in the Rye

This is a great book about teen depression. I loved it! It seems kind of pointless but it is so well written that throughout all of his rambling it is still interesting.

Anyone read this?
Old 01-04-2003, 12:44 AM
I really love this book. I think it's a bit pretentious and overrated...but...as far as books about teenagers go, it really is the tops. Salinger really understood what teenagers are all about, and I felt I could directly relate to a lot of what Holden felt.
Old 01-05-2003, 01:18 AM
BEST BOOK EVER

I could ramble on about this book forever, but I think I'll sum it up in one sentence: Best Book Ever.

I think everything just came together on this one. I find the main character to be extremely likable and well-developed, and the book has many hilarious scenes.

I think the character of Holden Caulfield is one of the most interesting characters currently in print, and, as a result, I sort of fancy myself as a Holden-protege(isn't that just the most pathetic thing you've ever heard?).

"Damn it, Caulfield. You always do everything backasswards."
Old 01-08-2003, 08:41 AM
I read this about 5 years ago and really enjoyed it. It's one of those books that doesn't really have a plot as such, but the characters make it an enjoyable journey!

It's also the novel of choice for conspiracy theorists and assassins - both John Hinckley (the guy who tried to assassinate Reagan) and Mark Chapman (the guy who assassinated John Lennon) were carrying copies of this book when they carried out their shootings).
Old 01-10-2003, 06:42 AM
I quite like this book. It's very entertaining and rather enlightening. The only thing that bothered me when reading this was the crappy translation made in the 50's with the slang of that age...not nice. The only problem I had with is was that I couldn't really relate to Holden...I was "cheering" for him for most parts, but in at some places he came off as a bit of an ass, but I still loved this. I definitelyy will be coming back to this. But maybe the English language version next time, hopefully that'll be more "understandable".
Old 01-10-2003, 12:16 PM
J.D. Salinger is the greatest author

He's my personal favorite.

Catcher In The Rye is an outstanding book, I think I read it about a million times (in both Russian and English). It's written in the teen spirit and he definitely knew that people'd love it, as he'd written about real life. Most of the conversations are in slang and this fact, I think, wides Salinger's readers.

But after all, Catcher In The Rye isn't the best of his, IMO. The most powerful and thoughtful is Teddy.
Old 01-13-2003, 01:04 AM
I really like this book. I've read it twice now. Holden is a very interesting character. But I think I like him for a wierd reason, I like him because I want to strive not to be like him. I don't want to end up being some cynical skeptic who just doesn't care. The scary thing is I'm more like him than I would like to be.
Old 01-17-2003, 02:29 AM
i LOVE this book,we read this book in school and nobody liked it,besides me that is of course,it truly is a great book,very relateable in some terms and if done right could make a good movie,but the book i feel is such a classic i wouldnt want it to be touched with and i hear the author never will let his books be made into films and he lives in a shack or such????
Old 02-03-2003, 07:38 AM
i just brought it to read when im at work. Im a nightporter and i often have aroun 4 hours of just sitting around an empty hotel doing nothing). i have only read the 1st chapter but i instantly love it. my dad told me bout how its been read by lennons killer and stuff so maybe i can go out and kill a celeb arter i have read it. if i do it will have 2 be fred durst.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:17 PM
I am probably going to pick this one up this coming weekend. I am going to Virginia for the weekend and I need a couple books to keep my occupied.
Old 02-04-2003, 09:44 PM
ok after just one day im into chapter 14. i cant put it down. infact im rushing typing this so i can rundownstairs and get it so i can read some more even tho its 2:44 am. holden is soo cool.
Old 02-19-2003, 06:24 AM
finished it yeasterday. it wasgreat tho i really hate it when ppl ask me what its about. i dunno what the hell to tell them.
Old 02-19-2003, 06:43 PM
Yeah, I always kinda flounder when people ask me what it's about. I usually just say "er...a boy?"
Old 03-10-2003, 05:56 PM
I'm gonna bump this bitch up. I finished it yesterday, loved it.

If people ask me what it's about, I guess I can reply: 'A boy wastes time right before Christmas break' or something...I don't know.
Old 03-12-2003, 02:25 PM
It's been a while since I've read it, but I remember it being quite good. I read it as a pre-teen. Now I'm 18 (19 in a few weeks), so I'd probably relate to it a WHOLE lot more know. I should read it again.

For my Short Story class, I'm reading J.D. Salinger's Nine Stories. (Salinger wrote Catcher in the Rye, as most of you probably know.) They're just as good; all of them are very interesting.
Old 03-14-2003, 01:55 AM
its a shame that salinger doesnt allow his books to be made into movies and such,and wont allow it....although who can blame the man?
Old 03-15-2003, 01:14 AM
All I have to say is "The Cather in the Rye" is one of the finest books ever written all teenagers should read it, and i find it fascinating that til this day it is still on some of the high school banned books! Its Ashame really cause this book is a work of art!
Old 07-04-2007, 08:34 PM

I was forced to read this book back in 11th grade English class and wouldn't you know I actually loved it. I haven't read it since then but damn did I find myself surprisingly engrossed in Holden's world. One of the best novels I ever read and probably ever printed. My brother has a copy of it so I'm thinking I'll be borrowing it off of him next week. Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.