Old 05-30-2003, 12:40 PM
John Leguizamo

A rarely oft-thought-of actor, I first saw John in "Super Mario Brothers" (of all things), and was impressed with his performance back then. Since he's proven he can portray a wide range of characters - from Chi-Chi the trannie in "To Wong Foo" to Toulouse Lautrec in "Moulin Rouge" (a role for which he was required to walk and hop on his knees for hours, a painful task). He's also lent his vocal talents to a number of animated features, the best being Sid the Sloth in "Ice Age".

Having recently seen him in "Summer of Sam", it struck me how reserved and impressive an actor he is.

What do you schmoes think?
Old 05-30-2003, 12:54 PM
Honey you must see his one man shows/HBO specials. If you ever wanted to know what its like to be in a fucked up hispanic family, this is the man to see. I loved his old show, House of Buggin. I remember me and my friends going on and on the next day about how funny it was and how we finally had a hispanic show on network TV...... for a little while anyway.

Favorite skits: Chicano Militant minute: "We now return to you to your re-rre-re-guuuu-larly scheduled program"

"Whether you're Chinese, Hungarian, Hatian or Serbo-Croation we'll keep you in this great nation"

If you watch those shows you understand why he is a phenomenal actor: because of his ability to observe.

Spic-O-RAMA

Freak

Sexaholics

Big FREAKING YAY!
Old 05-30-2003, 01:50 PM
Very big yay in every role he does.

Old 05-30-2003, 02:01 PM

YAY.........

An impressive and talented actor..........very underrated.
Old 05-30-2003, 02:38 PM
YAY he's the dude!
Old 05-30-2003, 03:18 PM
Yay.

The roles I have seen him in have displayed a great amount of range, from sweet to downright intimidating. He's very low-profile, but definitely a worthy mention in my list of favorite character actors.
Old 05-30-2003, 10:05 PM
A very underrated, underappreciated actor with lots of talent. YAY
Old 05-31-2003, 01:47 AM
I'm going to say Yay even though he is kind of a hit or miss kind of guy. But overall I like him.
Old 06-01-2003, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by electriclite
Honey you must see his one man shows/HBO specials. If you ever wanted to know what its like to be in a fucked up hispanic family, this is the man to see. I loved his old show, House of Buggin.
Lordy, I'd love to see those! Are they available on sell-through video/DVD? That's the only way I'll get to see them, as they'll probably never get broadcast down here (Australia doesn't have that large an Hispanic audience).

If copies of his shows are available at Amazon or Rhino, I'm so ordering them...
Old 06-03-2003, 11:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by FeydRautha
Lordy, I'd love to see those! Are they available on sell-through video/DVD? That's the only way I'll get to see them, as they'll probably never get broadcast down here (Australia doesn't have that large an Hispanic audience).

If copies of his shows are available at Amazon or Rhino, I'm so ordering them...

Well I've been looking and I can't seem to find all his shows on tape.

Mambo Mouth is on tape, and I can't seem to find Freak, and Sex-a-holics is only on CD from what I've seen. Mambo Mouth is at Amazon though, and so is Sex-a-holics so you can check those out.

I recorded Freak of HBO one night, but its not from the beginning, but I still got enough to make me laugh and see waaaaay too many similarities.
Old 06-04-2003, 02:03 AM
Along with the fact that he's as great as he is (in addition to his shows, which Lady E has cataolgued so well, catch him in Hangin' With The Homeboys, w/ Doug E. Doug, Nestor "Vinnie" Serrano and Mario Joyner.), he looked pretty good in a dress in To Wong Foo...

My favorite bit from his stage shows: I love the guy in jail who gives Anglos an impromptu history lesson: "We started all of your big cities! Los Angeles, San Francisco, Neuva York..."
Old 06-04-2003, 05:57 PM
This guy is hilarious...i love his one HBO special (comedy) where he talks about his past relationships. He's a great actor too. funny as hell.
Old 06-05-2003, 03:54 PM
I loved him in Sexaholic and Freak so I give em' a yay.
Old 06-14-2003, 06:26 AM
Before I saw Freak, I never took him seriously, I always thought he was just another funny guy who would fade away, but even though Freak was hilarious, there was a lot of stuff in it that proved he was a star. Very underrated.
Old 06-15-2003, 12:24 AM
very Talented actor
Old 06-15-2003, 03:43 PM
Big yay! I watched Summer of Sam recently; he turned in a superb performance.
Old 06-17-2003, 12:42 PM
the guy is a talented actor, with a fairly big range.

a strong and powerful YAY!
Old 06-17-2003, 07:40 PM
I think he is really cool. And I have like him since Super Mario Brothers.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:25 AM

I remember Lequizamo from back in the old days when I would watch his show House of Buggin. They must have tried to make that the follow up to In Living Color but it never really caught on.

As a kid I also loved Super Mario Bros. but GOD only knows how my opinion of that film would hold up today. Hanging with the Homeboys was another good one.

Then he started falling off my radar for a while until I caught him again in Land of the Dead. He turned in a good performance again. Shame the movie didn't make the big box office bucks nationally.

I suppose a mild yay seems appropriate. I don't think I would care much for his stand up. He seems like a better actor than commedian.

Well thats all for now GOoD JOURNEY my fellow schmoes.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:23 AM
yay, always delivers a good performance