Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Books/Comics
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2003, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by the night watchman
"Tess of the D'Ubervilles" is one of my favorites. I don't understand what was so difficult about it.

The fact that Hardy can go on for an entire chapter describing every inch of the English countryside when I'm begging for him just to get back to the story. Descriptions are fine, but Jesus, reel it in a little!

And off topic... I believe Hardy had a thing about sheep that demands further investigation.
Old 03-22-2003, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by electriclite
Tess of the D'Ubervilles

u know, i hate hardy as well. he just really gets on my nerves.....
Old 03-26-2003, 09:05 PM
I've been made to read many, and there are some I liked less than others, but the only ones that I think I could use the word HATE for are:

HEART OF DARKNESS

A PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN

TESS OF THE DURBERVILLES(sp?)
Old 03-29-2003, 09:35 PM

Stupid. As. Fuck.

Oh, and I will be reading 'Tess' next week - thanks for the heads up.
Old 03-29-2003, 10:43 PM
What didn't you like about 1984? I didn't enjoy reading it, but I still thought it was excellently written, and extremely depressing - like it was supposed to be. The biggest flaw I found is that there is no way the society they presented would hold together as well as illustrated - but it is meant to be a parable, so thats ok.
Old 03-30-2003, 05:37 AM
Hmmm

Quote:
Originally posted by Dumb-Fokker-**

Stupid. As. Fuck.
Now there is an intelligent, balanced, grammatical and well-supported argument!

You know, I just recently joined this site and I am often impressed when I see that somebody has written about 3,000 posts. It kind of suggests that the person has a lot to say, doesn't it? It suggests that the person has strong, intelligent opinions on a wide variety of topics.

And then you come across a gem like this. And you think, 'Hmm, maybe all 3,000 of this persons comments were like this one!'

I'm not sure how 1984 could be called 'stupid'. I could imagine somebody disliking it because it's bleak, depressing and can make the reader physically ill. But all of these sensations are due to the fact that the book is extremely intelligent. That it is so well thought-out and so well-written that the reader believes everything that happens and is completely drawn into the bleak world of 1984.

***1984 SPOILERS***

***1984 SPOILERS***

Personally, I didn't find it all depressing. I thought it was mostly about finding your own private haven in a world gone crazy. The protagonist finds love, and he manages to be happy, if only for a short time. Hell, even if you find love and happiness in a perfect world, it's still only for a short time.

I was gripped by this book from the very first page. I loved the way it was written and I found all of the concepts very interesting (such as the idea of shrinking the vocabulary so people won't be able to think for themselves). Even though the characters were usually pretty nasty, I still found them fascinating.

I loved the ending too. Not because of what actually happens, but because Orwell was brave enough to bring his story to the inevitable conclusion. No forced, happy, Hollywood endings for THIS writer. And I applaud him for it.
Old 03-30-2003, 10:27 AM
OK, and I thought the story was shite. Sure, it is intelligently written, but to think that this is considered a "great" novel.... I felt no compassion for any of these people. They screamed their hate at the television, just as they were supposed to. They followed Big Brother just as they were supposed to. And yet, they did nothing about it. I understand that complacency is a vital point, which the novel was trying to convey, but I found the idea idiotic, at best. I understand that true to life examples of this can be found, but just because they can, doest mean I have to like it. If you have a problem with my opinion, say so in a PM, so as to avoid yourself getting into trouble.
Old 03-30-2003, 12:24 PM

Quote:
If you have a problem with my opinion, say so in a PM, so as to avoid yourself getting into trouble.
I didn't have any problem with your opinion. The only thing that I had a problem with was the fact that you didn't support your opinion. I don't think that's something I could get in trouble for - after all, the purpose of a message board is to agree and disagree on various topics. I do admit I was annoyed at the way you phrased it - 1984 is one of my favourite books, so you can see why I would be annoyed when somebody simply says, 'Stupid as fuck' without giving any reason for their opinion.

Having read your second post, I can understand why you disliked the book so much. I'm still baffled as to how anybody could think it was stupid, though.
Old 03-30-2003, 12:26 PM
Well, just because you don't personally like a book doesn't mean it's "shite." And why is "the idea idiotic" if "true to life examples of this can be found"?
Old 03-30-2003, 12:34 PM
Are you telling me, watchman, that just because to true life example can be found, something isnt stupid? The holocaust isnt stupid? Rape isnt stupid? And when I called it "shite", it was my own personal opinion, so, you assumed that I thought it was shitty for everyone. Wrong. I think it is shitty, and that is my right. Just because I think it is shitty, doesnt mean that I think it is shitty for everyone.

And FOK, stupid is just a way for me to express my distaste for the novel. I dont mean that it is "stupid", I just dont like it. The writing is excellent, but as is the case with Orwell, fairly dry. As you can tell, I am not a huge fan of Orwell, AT ALL. For a summer program I went to, we had to pick an author, and read all of his major works, and Orwell was our author. Suffice it to say, his writing, while good, isnt what I would call enjoyable, or smooth. And I usually find that I dont like his characters. And...my arm hurts. Im gonna stop typing now.
Old 03-30-2003, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Are you telling me, watchman, that just because to true life example can be found, something isnt stupid? The holocaust isnt stupid? Rape isnt stupid? And when I called it "shite", it was my own personal opinion, so, you assumed that I thought it was shitty for everyone. Wrong. I think it is shitty, and that is my right. Just because I think it is shitty, doesnt mean that I think it is shitty for everyone.
Are you telling me you can't tell the difference between life and fiction? So, in other words, any book about the holocaust is "stupid" for the sole fact that the holocaust itself was "stupid"? That makes no sense. Why should a book about a subject automatically receive the reputation of its subject? Especially if that book is delivering insight or a warning?

And, yes, calling something "Dumb as fuck" is different that saying "I thought this was dumb as fuck." The first is usually taken as an objective claim, while the second is a subjective/personal claim.
Old 03-30-2003, 01:22 PM
you are missing my point...

...but, I don't really care. I never said that anything that had a true life example was stupid, and I never said that that was a reason for me to dislike to novel. Read through my post again. I was saying that, despite there being true examples of this type of thing, I still didnt like the book. Much different than what you are insinuating.

And if every time someone posts something, they need to add IMO, than add it yourself, because it is VERY OBVIOUS that that person is stating their own opinion, and not putting it forth as a fact.
Old 03-30-2003, 03:14 PM
I think you're misunderstanding fokker. I can DEFINETLY see why people would dislike, even hate, that book. Just the first comment was a bit misleading about why he disliked it. I can tell you this: I doubt I will ever read it again unless I have to for school. It was powerful, yes, but so depressing and without real hope that I did not enjoy reading it at all - and that is *generally* what people are looking for when they read (works the same way with movies - I can see why people hate really nihilistic movies, as I generally do, considering most of the ones I've seen pretentious). It's meant to be a "warning" (of something that we thought was dying with the USSR, but the way we're heading now... dunno) and it works well as that.
Old 03-30-2003, 05:45 PM
Frankenstein is one of my all time favorites. But I do have a block against Hawthorne, something about the style puts me off. So I will go with The Scarlet Letter and The House of the Seven Gables. I also loathe Wuthering Heights
Old 03-30-2003, 10:33 PM
Hawthorne.

Stupid. As. Fuck.

Oh. Excuse me. IMHO.

Old 03-31-2003, 10:51 AM
you know...

...you really didn't need to add "IMHO".
Old 04-06-2003, 04:13 PM
Across Five Aprils. Boring long and badly written Civil War tale. I had to read this for my English Lit. class and hated it.
Old 04-06-2003, 05:47 PM
Worst book I have HAD to read was Gullivers Travels. Everyone in my class hated Heart of Darkness but I liked it and after watching Apocalypse Now I liked it more.
Old 04-07-2003, 03:13 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Delfonics
Worst book I have HAD to read was Gullivers Travels. .

yeucccccccccch i had to read that as well, it wasnt totally bad, but for some reason, it just didnt it for me.
Old 04-19-2003, 08:52 AM
Jane Eyre. Oh how i despised this book! It's a shame really cos it's put me off wanting to read any other books from that era. Also, Cloudstreet by Tim Winton (we HAD to read an Australian book) totally sucked ass, i was sooooo bored it made me never want to read another Australian book, EVER! I HATE being put off things, so if anyone could recommend an GOOD Aussie book, then i'll give it another shot.
Luckily though, in that same year at school, we also had to read The Collector, which i adored.
Old 04-19-2003, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AngelaHayes
Jane Eyre. Oh how i despised this book! It's a shame really cos it's put me off wanting to read any other books from that era. Also, Cloudstreet by Tim Winton (we HAD to read an Australian book) totally sucked ass, i was sooooo bored it made me never want to read another Australian book, EVER! I HATE being put off things, so if anyone could recommend an GOOD Aussie book, then i'll give it another shot.
Luckily though, in that same year at school, we also had to read The Collector, which i adored.
Read THE DEAD HEART by Douglas Kennedy. I don't know if Kenedy is Australian, but the book is all about travelling in Australia and encountering...well, I won't spoil it. Read it and see what he encounters. I promise it's exciting, thrilling and scary! This book is a bit like the movie RED ROCK WEST - not so much in plot but in atmosphere and theme.

Then read Kennedy's other books - THE JOB and THE BIG PICTURE, even though neither of them is set in Australia. Just because they are AMAZING thrillers.
Old 04-19-2003, 01:42 PM
I actually liked most of Gulliver's Travels. I didn't finish the last 50 pages for some reason though. It's the only really old book (more then like 120 years or so) that I've really liked.
Old 04-19-2003, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by EoghainFOKeeffe
Read THE DEAD HEART by Douglas Kennedy. I don't know if Kenedy is Australian, but the book is all about travelling in Australia and encountering...well, I won't spoil it. Read it and see what he encounters. I promise it's exciting, thrilling and scary! This book is a bit like the movie RED ROCK WEST - not so much in plot but in atmosphere and theme.

Then read Kennedy's other books - THE JOB and THE BIG PICTURE, even though neither of them is set in Australia. Just because they are AMAZING thrillers.
OK - thanks! I'll see if i can get a hold of them!
Old 04-19-2003, 05:06 PM
Where the red fern grows 2/10

Lord of the........Flies 1/10 (that is the worst book I have ever read in my life I hated hated hated lord of the flies I had an image of a pig's head on a stick each time I go to the sandwhich place...Don't ask me why when I go to the deli it's just not a good book)
Old 04-19-2003, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Hawthorne.

Stupid. As. Fuck.

Oh. Excuse me. IMHO.

LMAO! That made me laugh really hard.
Old 04-19-2003, 05:25 PM
I had to do merchant of venice which I found a bit strange- it wasn't bad, but there are better shakespeares out there, richard the 3rd, hamlet etc etc.

On the plus side I did do trainspotting in my final year at school, which allowed my to submit a final essay with 10 uses of fuck and 5 of cunt in it (direct quotes from the book). I thought that was quite amusing in a childish way. And I got an A
Old 04-20-2003, 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by DevilMonkey

Lord of the........Flies 1/10 (that is the worst book I have ever read in my life I hated hated hated lord of the flies I had an image of a pig's head on a stick each time I go to the sandwhich place...Don't ask me why when I go to the deli it's just not a good book)
liar! it is a fantastic book. dont make me get the hose!!!!!!

Old 04-20-2003, 01:30 PM
The Red Badge Of Courage bored me to tears...I don't know about anyone else. I did read it about 3 years ago though, and of course I was much younger and or dumber.
Old 04-20-2003, 01:40 PM
Dreamcatcher 5/10
Old 04-20-2003, 02:04 PM
Sad man, you had to read "Dreamcatcher?!"
Old 04-20-2003, 02:55 PM
Quote:
liar! it is a fantastic book. dont make me get the hose!!!!!!

I agree, but LOTF would be much more respected if everyone wasn't forced to read it at school
Old 04-20-2003, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by DevilMonkey
Where the red fern grows 2/10
You must be heartless...
Old 04-20-2003, 04:14 PM
Slightly off-topic.. I really liked Where the Red Fern grows.. Buuuut.. Did anyone else watch the movie?

***SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T READ OR SEEN IT***

The kid who runs with the axe, he just trips and kills himself in the book. In the movie, the kid actually GRABS HIM while he is running with an axe! They made it HIS FAULT! Well, sort of. Why did they make that change? I've never understood it.
Old 04-20-2003, 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim H
Slightly off-topic.. I really liked Where the Red Fern grows.. Buuuut.. Did anyone else watch the movie?

***SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T READ OR SEEN IT***

The kid who runs with the axe, he just trips and kills himself in the book. In the movie, the kid actually GRABS HIM while he is running with an axe! They made it HIS FAULT! Well, sort of. Why did they make that change? I've never understood it.
Yes I had to watch the movie as weel, two versions fo it to be precise and it was so wrong, too many things were missing and they made things that happend happen but only the wrong way ( i don't want to give any spoiolers and I saw lord of the flies at school too and I wanted to vomit, especially when piggy dies
Old 04-20-2003, 09:25 PM
Quote:
Sad man, you had to read "Dreamcatcher?!"
Not really but It felt like an obligation.I hated anyway.
And the movie is worse.
Old 04-21-2003, 03:52 AM
Why did you hate DREAMCATCHER? I thought it was a fast-moving and fun horror novel. It wasn't deep or meaningful - but it was a blast to read.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:30 PM
Scarlet Letter. This was the second most boring book I've ever read (Moby Dick was the most boring, but I read that on my own). The sentences were half a page long sometimes, and there were some scenes that seemed like they were supposed to be suspenseful but weren't because of the way it was written.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by screamer581
The Red Badge Of Courage bored me to tears...I don't know about anyone else. I did read it about 3 years ago though, and of course I was much younger and or dumber.
I also detested The Red Badge of Courage. It was simply a giant bore of a novel with almost incoherant prose that appears to be written by a twelve year old. It also goes way overboard with its descriptions of every little detail for page after page. Red Badge is one of the worst novels that I have ever read.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:46 PM
Dead Souls - Gogol'
Old 04-30-2003, 09:58 AM
Confessions of a Sociopathic Social Climber. Ugh. It was recommended by several friends as being hilarious. But how can I get into a book when I despise the main (and really, only) character? Yuck.