Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Music
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-22-2003, 02:59 PM
The download music tag game.

O.K. Since the Song of the Week threads have been crashing and burning lately i was trying to think of a way we could improve the idea so more people would want to participate, This game just came to me and hopefully it can get off the ground.

The way the game works is one person posts a song he or she wants someone else to give a review for. Then when someone wants to join in on the game they reply with a post that only says *TAG*. This means that person has begun downloading that song. (THis way there arn't three people downloading a song but only one gets to post because they listened to it before the others were done) Then that person listens to the song and gives a review. Then the person who did the review posts a new song of their own and the game continues.

Hopefully this way alot more people get to have turns and everyone who wants to participate can, with a much smaller timeline to have to wait.



Well Ill start it off with

Artist: Tom Waits
Song: Misery is the River of The World

and people feel free to download all the songs that catch your eye and post how you liked them even if you wern't the first person to *TAG* Thats the whole purpose of these threads. To find new music and enjoy it.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-22-2003, 03:22 PM
Superb idea Bowieeee...

I think there was a similar idea floating about a couple of months ago, but it never quite took off...hopefully this will stick around a wee bit longer!!!

I'll kick off and *TAG* the first one...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-22-2003, 04:37 PM

Okey dokey, here we go...

The intro to this tune is particularly enticing, theatrical and wry...and if anything, Mr Waits has a very unique sound. The song makes me want to march and jut out my bottom lip, which is bizarre.... I like it actually, and I can see it being a grower because of the formulaic feel (and I mean that in a positive way) and the merry-go-round like music. The lyrics are bleak, yet the actual song is rather uplifting. A definite thumbs-up...I'm on my 3rd listen and my ears are becoming strangely accustomed to this blokes raspy chant.

I'm not very familiar with Waits but for some reason he conjures up an image of back-streets, cigarettes and empty bottles of whisky. I'm probably way off...but never mind.

Thanking you for the pick Bowieee...


The next recommendation is a bit of old-skool POP...It's time for a boogie...

Bizarre Love Triangle by NEW ORDER
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-22-2003, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BadCoverVersion


I'm not very familiar with Waits but for some reason he conjures up an image of back-streets, cigarettes and empty bottles of whisky. I'm probably way off...but never mind.

*Tag*

And actually BCV you are right on target. Whiskey, Cigarettes and back streets are a huge part of Wait's songs and persona.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-22-2003, 06:26 PM
*Puts on his 80's risky business sun glasses and begins dancing around his computer*

I LOOOOOVE this song. I used to go watch this 80's cover band about once a month at this club down here in San Diego and they used to play this song every show. It was so much fun. Definetly an upbeat happy dance song. Plus its alot of fun to sing along to with a bunch of people. Nice pick.


New Pick:

The Origin of Love

by: Hedwig and the angry inch
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-22-2003, 06:31 PM

I'm going to leave that one for a Hedwig virgin...It's well worth it!!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-22-2003, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BadCoverVersion
Superb idea Bowieeee...
I feel kinda bad, since so many people turned down 'the same' game I created a long time ago, and this game works perfectly fine...My OLD thread
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-22-2003, 06:50 PM
Sorry Invincible I didn't see your game and I don't mean to step on your toes. I was just trying to get a new music downloading thread up that more people could chime in on. Feel free to join in. The more the merrier. I'm downloading scooter right now and I'll tell you what I thought of it.

Last edited by bowieee; 01-22-2003 at 06:52 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-22-2003, 06:56 PM
Schmoetastic Idea, Bowieee!!!



*TAG* The Origin Of Love, Hedwig's epic lament to find her other half, should come across as the biggest song on the soundtrack. Definitely the sappiest thing I've ever heard a drag queen sing... and I own an Anne Murray CD...

Epic, torchy. JC Mitchell calls on massive images of universes colliding, Greek (....) Gods flailing thunderbolts. Its cool stuff. Here's is the token Queen/Dire Straits song that pretty much everyone would expect on this soundtrack.. But it holds up. Check it outttt~!


Pick:

Two At a Table Set For Three, By The Gandharvas.

***If there's any trouble finding this, I'll edit.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-22-2003, 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Invincible
I feel kinda bad, since so many people turned down 'the same' game I created a long time ago, and this game works perfectly fine...My OLD thread
Well Invincible...I did give you a wee bit of credit mate...

Quote:
Originally posted by BadCoverVersion
I think there was a similar idea floating about a couple of months ago, but it never quite took off...hopefully this will stick around a wee bit longer!!!
Hmmm, I remember that SCOOTER debate (fond memories)...I didn't mean to offend luv. I was just being a sarcastic sod as per usual. You know me better nowadays though...

You still owe me a slapping!!!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-22-2003, 06:59 PM
Scooter: New Years day

I'm not one for techno the repeated drum beats usually slowly bring on a headache but you can do no wrong when a song has air raid sirens. I actually liked this ditty alot. I think I have an air raid siren fetish. Anyways its a great song, it had alot of energy going for it. Thanks for putting it out to download!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-22-2003, 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Romero&Juliet
Schmoetastic Idea, Bowieee!!!



*TAG* The Origin Of Love, Hedwig's epic lament to find her other half, should come across as the biggest song on the soundtrack. Definitely the sappiest thing I've ever heard a drag queen sing... and I own an Anne Murray CD...

Epic, torchy. JC Mitchell calls on massive images of universes colliding, Greek (....) Gods flailing thunderbolts. Its cool stuff. Here's is the token Queen/Dire Straits song that pretty much everyone would expect on this soundtrack.. But it holds up. Check it outttt~!


Pick:

Two At a Table Set For Three, By The Gandharvas.

***If there's any trouble finding this, I'll edit.
Romero I tried to find it but I was coming up with diddly squat. Oh and welcome back to the cult
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-22-2003, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bowieee
Romero I tried to find it but I was coming up with diddly squat. Oh and welcome back to the cult
damn.. okay, tryyyy

Kicking in The Water, by the Gandharvas.

kind of an odd song. From the same album as the last track, though.. it came up on a Kazaa search, too.


thanks Bowieee. Its good to be back in the mix of things.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-22-2003, 09:29 PM
*Tag*

It was a bitch to find but I found this one hiding out there in the internet its downloading right now.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-22-2003, 09:42 PM
the Gandharvas: Kicking in the water

Is it just me or does the lead singer sound just like the lead singer of Janes Addiction? Well to me these guys sounded like a poppy Janes Addiction but yet their own style at the same time. I liked the song it was catchy and different and had a fun "could see a bunch of people hopping up and down at the concert" feeling to it. Great pick! Thanks romero

Next up:

Grandaddy: He's simple, he's dumb, he's the pilot
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-22-2003, 09:43 PM
Tag*

took me a few minutes to find it and its downloading now, but its somewhat large so it will be a bit.

Last edited by SubMethod; 01-22-2003 at 09:55 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-22-2003, 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BadCoverVersion

You still owe me a slapping!!!
Naaaaw...just forget it, it's behind us, you can download my songs though

Last edited by Invincible; 01-22-2003 at 10:38 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-22-2003, 11:01 PM
Grandaddy: He's Simple, He's Dumb, He's The Pilot

I really enjoyed this not so little song. I liked the intro with the birds in the background it was very interesting. The acoustic guitar was very cool and the synth effects were well placed. I liked the whole sombre mood of the song, I've been listening to a lot of songs like this lately. I'm not sure what instrument was being played during the intro but it was very eclectic sounding and I liked it. It will take me a couple of more listens to fully grasp the lyrics, it usually does for any song. This was a great listen and it will defenitely go on my play list.

My Pick:

Moby: That's When I Reach For My Revolver

I picked one that will be a little easier to find for people and is still a great tune.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-22-2003, 11:32 PM
*tag*

My computer play list is getting bigger and bigger and I'm liking it
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-22-2003, 11:43 PM
Have you ever never given an artist a second thought and then see them in concert and become an instant fan? Well that was the case with moby and I. I never really was a fan and I saw him on tour with bowie and I was put into awe. The power his music has on stage sucked me in completely. He followed Bowie and thats a tough act to follow but he did it with style, grace and energy.

This song took me by suprise. Its a little bit more straight foward rock than I'm used to by Moby and I liked that alot. The build up of the song is great and it has a good relisten appeal to it. My respect for moby grows with each listen. Thanks Submethod!

Oh and sorry about the song length I totally forgot it was 8 minutes


New Pick:

The Mars Volta

Concertina
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-23-2003, 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bowieee

Oh and sorry about the song length I totally forgot it was 8 minutes
Oh it didn't bother me. I enjoyed it very much.

By the way this is not a tag.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-23-2003, 09:04 AM
I'll *tag* that one, bowiee...I hope I'm doing this right? I just download, listen and come back w/ a review, right?


Hmm..
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-23-2003, 09:26 AM
Mars Volta: Concertina


Nawt bad a'tall. I was actually expecting to be able to say 'this band is reminisent of,' but find myself unable to compare it to anything really, which is a good thing. The song was hectic and melodic at the same time w/ intricate timing changes and standard vocals. I really liked the interesting affect on the vocals and the descent (or climb?) into more of a rock n roll sound towards the end. Very interesting pick. Not necessarily one for my shelf but I'd definitely listen again if I heard it.

Speaking of Rock N Roll, hows about a good dose of it:

New Pick:

El Jefe Speaks

Clutch
(if you cannot find this song, go for something a little more accessible like Big News I or Spacegrass from the 2nd album. This is my favorite band and listening to the lyrics is a must. If you need to search online for them, it's usually worth your time. The guy writes in riddles.)
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-23-2003, 09:54 AM
tag
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-23-2003, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by SIREN30
Mars Volta: Concertina


Nawt bad a'tall. I was actually expecting to be able to say 'this band is reminisent of,' but find myself unable to compare it to anything really, which is a good thing. The song was hectic and melodic at the same time w/ intricate timing changes and standard vocals. I really liked the interesting affect on the vocals and the descent (or climb?) into more of a rock n roll sound towards the end. Very interesting pick. Not necessarily one for my shelf but I'd definitely listen again if I heard it.

Speaking of Rock N Roll, hows about a good dose of it:

New Pick:

El Jefe Speaks

Clutch
(if you cannot find this song, go for something a little more accessible like Big News I or Spacegrass from the 2nd album. This is my favorite band and listening to the lyrics is a must. If you need to search online for them, it's usually worth your time. The guy writes in riddles.)
I'm glad you liked them. They are one of the best bands I have ever seen live. The buzz over this band is getting bigger and bigger. They allready made it on to the black flag tribute album with a bunch of big artists. Trust me thes guys are going to be huuuge.

I'm going to download el jefe right now but paul calf is up for the next pick

Last edited by bowieee; 01-23-2003 at 10:22 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-23-2003, 10:20 AM
well when you said rock and roll i pictured a bit of elvis or buddy holly when what i got was a hell of a lot meatier than that.
starts with a great guitar intro and then the drums kick in with a vengence,his voice is very rough but definatly suits the song,the lyrics are quite fun too.the only downside i had was it was a little repeticious towards the end but quite enjoyable,i could imagine this song on a horror soundtrack.
ok my choice then


halleluiah(club mix) by the happy mondays a true original

Last edited by paul calf; 01-23-2003 at 10:25 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-23-2003, 10:23 AM
Yep, rock n roll should have some MEAT to it I think. But I should have said it was headed towards metal so you'd be prepared. Their newer stuff is just amazing and actually edge towards funk. He (neil fallon) was only 19 when El Jefe was released but if you listen to more recent stuff like Big News I or Spacegrass you can hear their maturity. ROCK ON!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-23-2003, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by SIREN30
Yep, rock n roll should have some MEAT to it I think. But I should have said it was headed towards metal so you'd be prepared. Their newer stuff is just amazing and actually edges towards funk. He (neil fallon) was only 19 when El Jefe was released but if you listen to more recent stuff like Big News I or Spacegrass you can hear their maturity. ROCK ON!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-23-2003, 10:24 AM
sorry about the double post...woops.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-23-2003, 10:26 AM
Well I couldn't get El Jefe speaks but I got super grass. This band cracks me up. They know how to build up a tempo. Plus they said "jesus on a dashboard" out of nowhere which cracked me up. I lost track of the lyrics halfway through but honestly I found they were the appeal of the whole song. This is a song I will definetly listen to again and more from the band it's different and fun. Thanks siren!

Oh my god I just listened to Big News. This band is really good. Ack yet another cd I need to buy.


Last edited by bowieee; 01-23-2003 at 10:30 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 01-23-2003, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by SIREN30
Yep, rock n roll should have some MEAT to it I think. But I should have said it was headed towards metal so you'd be prepared. Their newer stuff is just amazing and actually edge towards funk. He (neil fallon) was only 19 when El Jefe was released but if you listen to more recent stuff like Big News I or Spacegrass you can hear their maturity. ROCK ON!
i meant the meatier in a good way i like a bit of meat to my music,i may give the others a go as well then.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-23-2003, 10:27 AM
tag
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-23-2003, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bowieee
Well I couldn't get El Jefe speaks but I got super grass. This band cracks me up. They know how to build up a tempo. Plus they said "jesus on a dashboard" out of nowhere which cracked me up. I lost track of the lyrics halfway through but honestly I found they were the appeal of the whole song. This is a song I will definetly listen to again and more from the band it's different and fun. Thanks siren!
Yeah, I asked him what the lyrics to this song were about (like I said he writes in riddles) and it's actually about a drag race. The 'jesus on the dashboard' reference refers to the little Jesus figurines alot of hot-rodders put on their dash.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-23-2003, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bowieee
tag
what are you tagging? I didnt see another song yet?
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-23-2003, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by SIREN30
Yeah, I asked him what the lyrics to this song were about (like I said he writes in riddles) and it's actually about a drag race. The 'jesus on the dashboard' reference refers to the little Jesus figurines alot of hot-rodders put on their dash.

I just relistened to Supergrass now knowing its about drag racing and it makes perfect sense now.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-23-2003, 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by SIREN30
what are you tagging? I didnt see another song yet?
Paul calf put one out

halleluiah(club mix) by the happy mondays
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-23-2003, 10:53 AM
halleluiah(club mix) by the Happy Mondays

One of the first cd's I ever bought was a Black Grape one and that eventually led me to the Happy Mondays, a very talnted band. I had never heard this mix before and its a quite good one. It had me picturing a dance party in the middle of an old catholic church. The chants in the background mixed with the lead singers voice crooning over the beats made this one a winner for me. I really liked this pick paul thanks!

Next up some Rock and roll romance

HIM

Razorblade kiss

Oh and thanks everyone for playing I have found a bunch of new songs to freshen up my playlist from this game.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-23-2003, 10:54 AM
TAG Thanks, I really like HIM. Haven't heard this one yet.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-23-2003, 11:08 AM
Razorblade Kiss HIM

Once again, I really like this band. The vocals are really reminiscent of 80's pop like Depeche Mode mixed with a little 'hairbandedness' (how's that for a word) and the music sketches between rock and industrial, lending it more of a 'new' quality. This song wasnt quite as much to my taste as some others I've heard since it seeed a little more formula...but all in all a good pick. My favorite so far by them is actually their wonderful cover of Wicked Game. But I'm open to hear more.


Next Pick:

Song of the Sirens by This Mortal Coil (this is actually a compilation of many 4AD artists and this particular song is sung by the Cocteau Twins' Liz Frazier. However I don't think you'd find it under her name.)
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-23-2003, 11:21 AM
tag
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump