Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Music
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2003, 04:01 PM
I simply cannot get this song to download, sorry guys!
Old 01-31-2003, 04:50 PM
Tag (It's nearly finished downloading)
Old 01-31-2003, 04:52 PM
Low Down Man-The Squirrel Nut Zippers

this should not be my cup of tea,but it really ended up being,this is such a smooth cool song so laid back and easy to listen too,the music is jazz with a very soulful voice thrown in,she sings like smooth velvet it just sounds so simple for her i can see myself listening to this a lot.great choice siren.

sorry psycho i was reveiwing before i tagged
you pick the next one

Last edited by paul calf; 01-31-2003 at 04:54 PM..
Old 01-31-2003, 05:11 PM
Squirrel Nut Zippers - Low Down Man

Both the name of the band and Siren60's brief description og the song as "delta jazz" gave me a preformed idea of what this song might sound like before I even downloaded it. Part of that preformed notion was that I was gonna dislike the song. I was wrong. Lately i've been listening to the debut album by Norah Jones and this song is strongly reminiscent of her style. I quite like having the rug pulled from under my expectations. I'd appreciate some more info on this band Siren60. Is this song representative of their music as a whole or are they of an eclectic bent? Nice. I really enjoyed this one. Especially the slide guitar (i'm a sucker for slide guitar).

My first selection of the weekend is...

Artist - Steve Earle

Song - Breed (Nirvana Cover)
Old 01-31-2003, 05:13 PM
tag
Old 01-31-2003, 05:32 PM
i am having loads of probs finding this song someone else better tag it if they can find it.
Old 01-31-2003, 05:37 PM

*Tag*...If all goes according to plan!!!
Old 01-31-2003, 06:05 PM

Well…this man is covering NIRVANA, so I’m dubious, and VERY intrigued…

Sorry mate…but I just didn’t take to this AT ALL. It was a true "Bad Cover Version" in my honest opinion (make of that what you will, it could count for NOWT ). Maybe I’m being slightly harsh, but it just didn’t do it for me. No spark, originality, charisma…and I'm not opposed to the odd COVER, I love Feliciano, Erasure, Will Young *BLOODY HELL*, and I like the fact that they bring something NEW to their tracks.

BREED is one of my FAVOURITE Nirvana tracks, alongside “Lake of Fire”…and I was anticipating something a little cheeky. I'm being a bit inhospitable I know, you have CHOSEN a track and I am dissing it to the max, but it just didn't appeal luv!!!

When all is said and done I'm just some muppet off the street, my opinion shouldn't matter a jot...I really wish I could PRAISE this version, but SORRY, it just aint my cup of tea!!!

I still luuuurve ya' Psychocandy, Don't hate me....

Next up...

Track - The Irony of it all

Artist - The Streets
Old 01-31-2003, 06:21 PM
Ach...sorry you didn't like it. I was being kinda lazy...I just picked the current track on my playlist. Which isn't to say that I don't disagree with you. I'm a huge fan of both Nirvana and Steve Earle and honestly thought that this was a scorching cover version...especially from an artist who more usually operates in the country rock genre. Anyway...i'll let someone else "TAG" your choice as the track is very familiar to me (it's a cracker) so i'm gonna wait for something I ain't heard before.

Oh...and no need to apologise for ripping into any of my choices. That's the purpose of this thread. Criticism. Good or bad...it's all good.
Old 01-31-2003, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Psychocandy

Oh...and no need to apologise for ripping into any of my choices. That's the purpose of this thread. Criticism. Good or bad...it's all good.
You are a Gentleman and a Scholar Psycho...I didn't DESPISE the track, it's just one of my FAVES by NIRVANA (and inevitably that creates "impartiality" on my part), ta very much for your kind words!!!

You didn't even rip into my Will Young comment, I applaud you!!!

PS: I am SO with you on THAT one, "The Irony of it all" is a killer track, I know you're acquainted with "The Streets", I'm just trying to generate a bit come more love!!!!
Old 01-31-2003, 06:38 PM
*TAG*
Old 01-31-2003, 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BadCoverVersion
You didn't even rip into my Will Young comment, I applaud you!!!
How negligent of me. I do apologise and shall endeavour to rectify this situation immediately.

Steve Earle takes shits that are more talented than Will Young.
Old 01-31-2003, 06:46 PM
The Irony of it All-The Streets

Quite an amusing little diddy, I really enjoyed the contrast. Well titled, it wasn't really a great "song" (in fact the Drunk guys music got on my nerves a bit), but it was a fun humor bit. I've enjoyed both songs I've heard by The Streets (Don't Mug Yourself being the other), although I could see the music getting old pretty fast if they were popular on this side of the Atlantic! Thanks for the song, BCV, was quite fun.

I don't know if this one is popular or not, but I like to think of it as the little fucked-up song I found all by meself.

Song: Carol of the Bells
Band: Trans-Siberian Orchestra
Old 01-31-2003, 06:49 PM
Tag
Old 01-31-2003, 06:54 PM
Guys just leaving this post to say I'm going to be gone for a couple days buuuuut I'm going through withdrawl symptoms from not participating in this thread.
Old 01-31-2003, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bowieee
Guys just leaving this post to say I'm going to be gone for a couple days buuuuut I'm going through withdrawl symptoms from not participating in this thread.
Bloody NORA!!!

We'll miss ya Bowieee...
Old 01-31-2003, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bowieee
Oh man...this is going to be a hard few days for this thread, but, never fear...we will survive, Gloria Gaynor style.
Old 01-31-2003, 07:35 PM
Quote:
Why don't you join in then you can suggest a Prodigy track?
Sure, but I dont feel like tagging someone so tag me....

all tracks are Prodigy

The Prodigy - Smack My Bitch Up/Narayan/Firestarter/Voodoo People

and This is a good one Perpetuous Dreamer - The Sound of Goodbye
Old 01-31-2003, 07:50 PM
Trans-Siberian Orchestra - Carol Of The Bells

Hmmm. This wasn't bad. It didn't blow me away from start to finish. The guitar's were way cheesy in a kind of rock opera backing kinda way. It reminded me a little of the kind of music that Italian director Dario Argento used to employ for his movie soundtracks.

For my next choice...

Artist - J Mascis

Song - Same Day
Old 01-31-2003, 07:54 PM
*TAGGART*

If I don't respond after an hour or do...I'm TOO pissed to stand up straight.

So, TAKE IT!!!!
Old 02-01-2003, 06:58 PM
Tag

I'm assuming BCv passed out before being able to review soooo....
Old 02-01-2003, 07:03 PM
Ahhh I knew this would be good before even downloading it. Every dinosaur Jr. song I have ever heard I've loved. I only own ear bleeding country but I seriously need to back track and get all of his body of work. This stuff has the screeching guitar style that I adore and his voice... his voice is perfect. Thats not even mentioning the brilliant style and lyrics he comes up with. My hats off to you Psychocandy this was a great pick.

Everyone knows the Nirvana cover of this song but I just thought I would include the original version of this underrated folk artist.

Where did you sleep last night

Ledbelly

(the actual song name is In the Pines but noone ever puts that on kazaa)

I just wanted to add I can't get that Walk like a Panther song out of my head for the life of me. Is the whole album that good? It's only available as an import over here and its quite pricey.

Last edited by bowieee; 02-01-2003 at 08:17 PM..
Old 02-02-2003, 01:09 AM
TAG
Old 02-02-2003, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Annie Hall TAG

I hope you like it, Annie~!

Leadbelly is my fav.!
Old 02-02-2003, 01:30 AM
I've heard this song before, in various versions, and this is it in top form. It's very stylized, and would be well placed in nearly every Coen brother movie. The guitar was very well played, and the singers voice perfect for the song. Leadbelly is pretty fabulous, in my experience. Thanks for the suggestion.

It's rather late, and I'm exhausted...so...I'm gonna suggest one that you may be familiar with, and hope someone hasn't heard it:

Song: Please Forgive Me
Artist: David Gray
Old 02-02-2003, 01:51 AM
TAG
Old 02-02-2003, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Squirrel Nut Zippers - Low Down Man

Both the name of the band and Siren60's brief description og the song as "delta jazz" gave me a preformed idea of what this song might sound like before I even downloaded it. Part of that preformed notion was that I was gonna dislike the song. I was wrong. Lately i've been listening to the debut album by Norah Jones and this song is strongly reminiscent of her style. I quite like having the rug pulled from under my expectations. I'd appreciate some more info on this band Siren60. Is this song representative of their music as a whole or are they of an eclectic bent? Nice. I really enjoyed this one. Especially the slide guitar (i'm a sucker for slide guitar).

My first selection of the weekend is...

Artist - Steve Earle

Song - Breed (Nirvana Cover)
I strongly suggest you check this out Psychocandy. If it's not your cup of tea, I understand, but there is no one like them today, I don't think, and that's saying alot. Not only does Katherine Whalen wail like Billie Holiday but when the 'dixieland jazz' takes over in songs like 'The Suits are Picking up the Bill', 'The Trou Macaq', and 'You're Drivin' Me Crazy', they prove where their influences lie and make quite an impression. The first album called 'The Inevitable Squirrel Nut Zippers' is a great place to start. It's a lot more traditional in sound and zips (no pun intended) along at a great pace. Their third album 'Perennial Favorites' is my favorite though, since it's a bit more edgy and experimental.

Last edited by SIREN30; 02-02-2003 at 02:35 PM..
Old 02-02-2003, 02:32 PM
I'll *tag* too since I'm interested in hearing this one. I'll also post a review but I'll leave it up to electrite to put up the next pick.
Old 02-02-2003, 02:58 PM
Please Forgive Me-David Gray

I'm not too keen on the repetitious 'dance' beat since that's not my kind of music, but the vocals (I've heard a couple of his songs) are pleasant and the lyrics good. There are a few songs by him I prefer to this one. It's ok. He is a good songwriter.

Last edited by SIREN30; 02-02-2003 at 03:54 PM..
Old 02-02-2003, 03:51 PM
I like the urgent melody from the piano, and the rapid play of the dance beats add to that feeling, but I especially liked the plucking of the guitar in the middle. The song is most likely something to be played when you want to relax and unwind or get romantic. I can't see myself listening to it for any other reason, but that's just me. It's an alltogether pleasant song, and pleasing to the ears.

Band : Catatonia

Song: Dead from the Waist Down
Old 02-02-2003, 03:53 PM
*tag*
Old 02-02-2003, 04:09 PM
Catatonia-Dead from the Waist Down

I've never heard this artist before. I guess this was a nice representation. The vocals are a little like Bjork in her Sugar Cubes days but the music and melody are more along the folk/pop lines. I liked the words. 'Make hay not war' sits well w/ me and I'll remember it. I also really liked the sweet intro to the song...it set the pace so well. This would fit really well into a film soundtrack.

Next Pick (because of my long-running mental affair w/ Mike Patton and his amazing voice):

RV-Faith No More
Old 02-02-2003, 04:16 PM
TAG
Old 02-02-2003, 05:19 PM
Faith No More - RV

Darkly humerous and somwhat disturbing and sad at the same time. RV is just one of the eclectic cuts from Faith No More's follow up to The Real Thing...Angel Dust. This serves as a welcome reminder that it's well past time I bought myself another copy of said album (my copy was permanantly borrowed by a colleague a number of years ago...i've been missing it ever since). If you are looking for a quirtky rock album that covers more bases than most then Angel Dust is an absolute must. RV isn't the best track on it and it's hardly representative of the album as a whole (due to it's eclectic nature there really isn't a representative track). Great song...stunning album.

For my next trick...

Band - Witness

Song - Here's One For You

You likely won't find this song on Kazaa but the band have kindly allowed the download of this very song in MP3 format on their official site. It's the opening track from their second album "Under A Sun" which was one of the most tragically neglected albums of last year.

The address of the site it...

http://www.witness.uk.com/

The track is here...

http://www.witness.uk.com/mp3s.htm

If you dig this song then the whole album will blow you away. It's a great song but nowhere near the best on the album.
Old 02-03-2003, 12:02 AM
Tag
Old 02-03-2003, 12:14 AM
I have mixed feelings about this one. I like the voice layer ala Elliot smith style at the start but the song felt just a little to generic for my taste. It never really drew me in. The singers voice is quite nice and the lyrics are decent but once again nothing stood out for me. Thanks for the pick psychocandy!

Speaking of Elliot Smith...

Roman Candle

Elliot Smith

The best song explaining anger I have ever heard.
Old 02-03-2003, 12:16 AM
TAG
Old 02-03-2003, 12:30 AM
You're right bowieee-a great song explaining anger. Although not-so-far from most Elliot Smith stuff, this song has an extra "edge" that is not in a good number of his other songs. I hadn't heard it, and will certainly listen to it again. Perfect Elliot Smith night tonight, so thanks for the suggestion.

Song: My Darling
Artist: Wilco
Old 02-03-2003, 03:38 AM
*tag*
Old 02-03-2003, 04:19 AM
wilco-my darling

i dont know when this was made but it is very late 60's sounding almost like a late beatles song,very jangly guitars and ringo style drums.the singer has quite a pleasant laid back voice,musicly this is very nice easy lo listen to quite relaxing and something a bit different i quite enjoyed it and may give it a whirl every now and again.

right my next choice is purley selfish,i went to see john squire last night the ex guitarest of this band and he was amazing,if there is a better guitarest anywhere i have yet to see them,and he sang quite a lot of the old stuff and this was my personal fave,so

band-the stone roses
song-tightrope
not the best song they made but a really interesting one,unlike anything else they have done.