Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Music
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2004, 05:13 PM
i am going to tag this baby just to hear the foo fighters version
Old 01-07-2004, 05:43 PM
baker street-foo fighters/gerry rafferty

i never really likes the rafferty version it always sounded very middle of the road,its the type of song you could expect your dad to like.its not a bad song its just very middle aged guy at a party kind of tune.
you could imagine alan partridge loving this,i know american's don't know who he is,but think of your least trendy middle aged tv presenter and you got alan.
the foo fighters have took the very best of the original ie the guitar riff and and souped this baby into a much meatier,funkier version that does not sound so static and boring,but energetic and lively.
i did like this version a lot more but would have thought that most people disagree with that.

ok this is my first choice in a while and i am going back a few with this one,since the mad world cover came out i have been digging a bit of my tears for fears stuff out for a listen and i think this is one of their most forgotten tunes.

women in chains-tears for fears
Old 01-08-2004, 11:34 AM
Tag!
Old 01-08-2004, 11:51 AM
I haven't heard this song in ages. I remember being totally taken aback by how beautiful it was when it came out when I was in Jr. High. Listening to it now years later it still hits a really deep note in me. This song was Tears for Fears swan song as far as I'm concerned. Thanks for the pick Paul!

One Big Holiday

by This Morning Jacket
Old 01-08-2004, 09:02 PM
*TAG*
Old 01-08-2004, 09:26 PM
One Big Holiday - My Morning Jacket

If there is one band that knows what a great guitar solo is, then it's My Morning Jacket. This song is no exception. They know how to make great southern rock that might as well have been made thirty years ago. The guitar in this song is about as catchy as you could get. The lead guitarist is also one of the best I've heard in a long time. This is just a great song by a great band.

next:

Snow Patrol - Wow
slowreader - Politics, Music, and Drugs
Old 01-09-2004, 02:31 AM
*tig tag toe*
Old 01-09-2004, 02:46 AM
snow patrol-wow

the song starts off pretty well no intro just jumps straight into it,a pretty thumping guitar riff and some well sung lyrics.
but that for me was as good as it got found it too be a little one paced and repetitious towards the end,it could have done with at least a chorus or even a change of direction in the middle with a bit of a solo or something,i kept waiting for something else,but it did'nt come a decent tune but i thought it could have been better.

next up

the doves-there goes the fear
Old 01-09-2004, 10:16 AM
Paul...

With regards to Snow Patrol. I urge you to check out their song Run from the same album. It's video is kicking around on MTV2 and The Amp at the moment so you could likely catch it there. If not then i'll happily email you the MP3. Their Final Straw album is one of the finest of 2003. But like most brilliant albums it doesn't make complete sense unless you hear it in it's entirety. I think, though, that Run would appeal to you more than Wow. That and Tiny Little Fractures are the two standout tracks on the album.

Oh...and should you read this...thanks for recommending the James - Getting Away With It...Live DVD. It's a fantastic performance. Loved every second. I especially enjoyed the moment when everything went wrong and was happy that they left that stuff in. Cheers.

Last edited by Psychocandy; 01-09-2004 at 12:17 PM..
Old 01-09-2004, 07:03 PM
psychocandy
i am downloading the other 2 snow patrol songs you recomended because i did not dislike the first one i just felt it was slightly bland and one dimensional,so will give the others a go.
as for the james dvd if you are any sort of fan of the band its a great dvd,like you say the peice in the middle when it all goes pairshaped is superb i thought it was a set up the first time i watched it,until they all start to look at each other wondering what to do,but what a rescue job with johnny yen my favourate live track ever.
also before i go have you chequed out vh2 yet excellent channel,some great choice now music wise on digital tv.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:15 PM
***Tag***
Old 01-10-2004, 09:48 PM
It's been a day so I'm yanking this tag. Muahahahaahahha

I liked this song. It was a peaceful little ditty that almost reminded me of a country song wrapped up in a indie vibe. The lead singers voice perfectly complimented the background song as it gently flowed along. I've heard about the doves before and I really liked this pick so maybe I should dive into their stuff more.
Thanks paul!

For Nancy

Pete Yorn

Last edited by bowieee; 01-10-2004 at 09:51 PM..
Old 01-10-2004, 10:10 PM
TAG
Old 01-10-2004, 10:27 PM
For Nancy

Pretty alright although I found it to be just standard stuff(electriclite will kill me ). It got better as it went along though and by the end I was digging it. Not something I would listen to much but I would sit and listen to it in once in a while. Alright choice there bowiee.

My pick:

F*** It by EAMON

It gets interesting by the chorus.
Old 01-11-2004, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bowieee

I liked this song. It was a peaceful little ditty that almost reminded me of a country song wrapped up in a indie vibe. The lead singers voice perfectly complimented the background song as it gently flowed along. I've heard about the doves before and I really liked this pick so maybe I should dive into their stuff more.
Thanks paul!

For Nancy

Pete Yorn
well i would say the doves are a pretty good band to dive into,so if you are after a couple of good doves songs to get an idea of their sound imo you could try;

the man who told everything
pounding
words
Old 01-11-2004, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by someguy
My pick:

F*** It by EAMON

It gets interesting by the chorus.
TAG
Old 01-11-2004, 12:07 PM
I was rather indifferent towards the song. The corus is good, but I wasn't particularly fond of the tune. An average song, I suppose.

Dream On by Aerosmith
Old 01-11-2004, 12:15 PM
Tag
Old 01-11-2004, 02:07 PM
Dream On - Aerosmith

I don't like Aerosmith's newer songs, but their old stuff is classic. This song has a great opening, beautiful lyrics and vocals and an amazing crescendo of a finale. This, along with Sweet Emotion are my favorite Aerosmith songs.

I'm going to throw in an unorthodox selection here. This is a Pakistani band called Junoon and they play a form of music called Sufi Rock which is Western instruments used to perform Eastern philosophy-themed music (think Eddie Vedder and Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan on the Dead Man Walking soundtrack). The song is Sayonee and you probably won't understand the lyrics, but it will be easy to find and I'm interested in hearing people's thoughts.
Old 01-11-2004, 03:34 PM
Tag
Old 01-12-2004, 01:38 PM
I've never heard of this outfit before, and am damn glad I did. This reminds me more of like Latin music than how I was imagining when you described it. I was picturing like, I don't know, more um, more "Eayyaiiiooooouuuu". You know what I mean. This song was much more sexy than how I imagined something out of Pakistan, which I likened to sound more Indian. I think this song would crossover really well into an American market, like Latin music has. It's damn hot. A really nice groove. I haven't looked up the lyrics in fear that it will totally change the song for me. Later on I go with that.

PS _ Side note on me listening to this. I tagged yesterday, then found out I had to run to and from Miami as quick as the Buick would take me. I waited for the download, and burned a disc. For about 300 miles I listened to nothing but this song over and over again. Heh. It was cold at the beach, but that song was still hot. I'm no fun on car trips.

Asian Dub Foundation - "Taa Deem"
Old 01-12-2004, 07:54 PM
tag
Old 01-13-2004, 11:29 PM
Okay, here's the situation... I think i got the remix. It just say's Taa Deem remix, but worded so it sound's like Taa Deem is the band that it doing the remix... and that Asain Dub Foundation is the song. Anyhow, whatever I got, seems to be following on from the world music tradition that the last post submitted. It's pretty cool and has a pretty heavy beat (although that could be the remix). Asain Dub FOundation are out in Australia now, so wierdly, after tagging this there was an interview with them on the radio. Bizzare. They're actually doing a live score companion to the French film La Haine. I might have to go now. The song is good, obviously Indian stlyed... but would be good for a party mix or something.

Okay...

Ted Leo and the Pharmicists - Where have all the rude boys gone
Old 01-13-2004, 11:46 PM
Tag
Old 01-14-2004, 01:18 AM
Ted Leo and the Pharmacists - Where Have all the Rude Boys Gone?

I liked this song. It has a nagging guitar hook and pleasant vocals. My favorite part is the "I asked Jerry/He told Terry.." chorus that ends with the title. This is a nice blend of punk and folk rock, and the result is a catchy, unpredictable song that really impressed.

Ani Difranco - Shy
Old 01-14-2004, 02:09 AM
Tag
Old 01-14-2004, 02:34 PM
Shy - Ani Difranco

All I could find were live versions. I dont know if that makes a difference, but I did like this song. Ive never heard Ani's music before. I've heard about it, but never actually heard it. She is obviously very talented. What stands out most are the lyrics. They are some of the best I've ever heard, and I'm not surprised because that is what I've heard about her most. I really liked the song on the whole, and will probably try and listen to more of her music.

next:

slowreader - Politics, Music, and Drugs
Old 01-16-2004, 03:37 PM
To get the game moving I shall TAG
Old 01-18-2004, 11:16 AM
submethod have looked all over for this song pal unable to find it otherwise i would have tagged so if noone else reveiws in the next couple of hours or so is there any chance of choosing another pick.
Old 01-18-2004, 11:23 AM
I've been looking all over for this and no luck. So Sub put up another pick or I shall do a review of my own.
Old 01-18-2004, 03:46 PM
Try this one...

Wilco - Jesus, Etc.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:10 PM
cheers sub i will tag this baby
Old 01-18-2004, 04:53 PM
wilko-jesus,ect

1st play thought this is pretty good,second play thought its very good,third play and i fucking love it.
this song has hot summer nights in a piano bar written all over it,i feel pretty cool just listening to it.
great easy going melody,easy singalongable lyrics,and a voice that makes you just stop and listen.
this baby is staying on my playlist for a while,i have heard a few wilko song's before but never this one,but i am pretty sure i will be checking them out a bit more in depth in future.

next up a song that should depress the hell out of you,but you cannot help but love it.

the smith's-girlfriend in a coma
Old 01-19-2004, 01:02 AM
tag
Old 01-19-2004, 01:24 AM
UGH!!! I just typed out a decent sized review for the song, and then my net messed up for a second and it's gone. But basically I said that this is an enjoyable tune that wreaks of the 80's, which I like. Songs like these are my guilty pleasures. I've listened to it twice now. The first time I thought it was nice, but it seemed to end very soon. I didn't realize how short it was. The second time it was just as enjoyable. Not a song I love, but I'll probably give it a listen now and then. Thanks Paul.

Next up:

"Amsterdam meow" by Guster. Please, don't search for just "amsterdam", please search for "amsterdam meow" as they're two different songs. In the results you'll most likely just get "amsterdam", and that's fine, download that, as long as you searched for "amsterdam meow". You may also get the result "Amsterdam (meow free)", but DON'T download that one. Sorry if these instructions are tedious.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:40 AM
tag and reveiw

"Amsterdam meow" by Guster

i was going to leave the tag to someone else,but came in from work a little bored so thought i would jump straight in.
glad i did nice upbeat indie style tune,easy to get your head around and tap your feet along to.there is not a lot i can say really it's a good tune not great but well worth a listen cheers ricochet.

next up a band i am getting into more and more

muse-hysteria
Old 01-21-2004, 10:04 PM
Tag and Review...

Muse are a great young band from the UK. I love what they've done so far. Hysteria is a great track off Absolution. I love the heavy bass that opens the song and the driving guitar throughout. Bellamy's vocals are always ace and on target, and this song is no different. The boy can sing. The chorus is especially rockin' and nice. Great track.

Up next:

PJ Harvey & Thom Yorke - This Mess We're In
Old 01-22-2004, 08:41 AM
Tag
Old 01-22-2004, 11:03 AM
way hay just flicking through this thread to see if i had missed any hidden gem's and spotted that it is exactly 1 year old today and still going very strong,a bit of an acheivment if you ask me,i cannot think of any other threads going on any of the other subjects still going that have as much substance,the only ones to rival are the what did you buy/watch today type threads which don't take half as much time and thought as this one,so i think bowieee deserves a bit of a pat on the back as the guy who put the needle on the record to start with,and brought all us music lovers to this hot spot.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:07 AM
This Mess We're In - Radiohead

This is a great track. Thom and PJ's voices are perfect together. They reflect off of each very well. I love the mellow tone that the song has too. And, as usual there are great lyrics to go along with the music. Great track.

next

The Exploding Hearts - Modern Kicks