Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Music
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2004, 03:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by my_name_is_neo
I didn't think "Scream of the Butterfly" was creepy at all. Depressing, sure, but not creepy. The lyrics of "Venus Blue" are much more disturbing, I'd say.

Oh, and Tag on The Eels - "Living Life".
Then I guess I'm a pussy cause this gives me the chills

Sunshine a house in flames
She likes it where she gets it but it's never felt the same
Surgery in the house of dissection
When your candle burns out I will resurrect you
She runs through fields of daisies
Yeah it's just a shame that they eat their own babies
Who cares cause the air is free
When you get there will you kiss the dead for me?

and this

I met an angel with a sawed-off shotgun
Wanted by the FBI
We dropped some acid, killed our parents
Then we hit the road
Like the scream of the butterfly (x4)

I guess I'll tag the Eels then btw.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:09 PM
Nevermind my tag as well, as I can't find the song on Limewire. Can you please post something else?
Old 12-29-2004, 01:07 PM
ok tag lets get this thing moving again.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:39 PM
The Eels - "Living Life".
i was only familier with one eels song before this and that was "novacaine for the soul" of which this is a million miles from,but not in a bad way.
its a very mellow song almost country in its style something which i am not averse to,but it has a real easy singalong style to it.
the music and lyrics are quite simple and easy to remember,making this a decent tune,nothing to dislike but nothing to go ott about.

next up i am a bit torn between 2 so you choose.
i have been battering my morrissey -you are the quarry cd this last few days and i love these 2 songs so pick one.

morrissey-i have forgiven you jesus(for those who fancy a christmas feel)
or
morrissey-come back to camden
Old 01-04-2005, 06:15 AM
*Tag*
Old 01-04-2005, 07:18 AM
I'm in a bit of a pickle as far as the music tag thread is concerned, so I'm only able to choose songs I have on hand...but since I've missed this thread like an old pair of dog-eared slippers for ever so long now I hope that's okay with everyone!

Morrissey - Come Back To Camden

I lived in Camden up until a fortnight ago...as a drinker of 'tea with a taste of the Thames" I can report that it's not half as romantic as Moz makes it sound. I'm not even a big tea drinker but I've been craving a Northern cuppa for some time now.

The song is quite beautiful...it's a real lighters aloft affair. Add to that the deadpan-yet-sincere croon; "it's so funny you'll kill yourself laughing", distinctly British wry repartee and you've got all the ingredients of yet another Morrissey classic.

It works because it's theatrical, yet simplistic in lyrical content...but the same could be said for almost any Smiths song I suppose.

I'll go with a couple of my favourite singles of 2004...

Devendra Banhart - Little Yellow Spider
Annie - Chewing Gum
The Go! Team - Ladyflash

If you haven't heard them already, then dip in...
Old 01-05-2005, 02:43 PM
Tag

I wan't to get back in the game.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:08 AM
I think i'll review all three.

Devendra Banhart - Little Yellow Spider

This is a quirky little gem. It sounds like the kind of song you would write in a dream state. The melody seems to drift in and out like a sleeper drifting in and out of consciousness. I first saw Devendra on Later (a UK music show on BBC2) and was immediately struck by how odd he was. He was dressed like some sort of wizard and sat cross legged on the floow, huddled over his guitar. The guy is a certifiable genius in my opinion. One of the finds of 2004.

The Go! Team - Ladyflash

Form what i've learned The Go! Team have something in common with The Avalanches in that their tunes are assembled from numerous samples. I could be wrong but after listening to this particular slice of genius I can well believe that this may be the case. It takes a special kind of skill to use a whole load of disparate samples to create something as joyful and uplifting as this. One of the best songs of 2004...easy.

Annie - Chewing Gum

This should have been a number one smasheroo. I don't know why the radio stations didn't pick up on this. I can only assume that it didn't get much radio play because with that kind of backing it would have been/should have been a huge hit. It's one of the most infectious songs released in 2004. The first time I saw the video I immediately pencilled it in for a future residence at number one. An absolute cracker.

Anyway...next up.

Woven Hand - Oil On Panel

I can send this via MSN Messenger if the tagger can't find it.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:49 PM
Tag
Old 02-20-2005, 09:11 PM
Woven Hand-Oil on Panel

A very boring song. There was nothing interesting at all and I wanted to fall asleep halfway through. The voice is like a drone along with the music. Did not like this at all

My pick

Man I Used To Be by K-os
Old 02-20-2005, 09:18 PM
Okey Dokey - I'll tag it!!
Old 02-20-2005, 09:27 PM
This was a funky, fun song. Don't hit me, but it reminded me a little bit of the song 'Men In Black' by Will Smith... (Just the beat.) I will probably check out more stuff by these guys.

my offering: School Of Fish - "Three Strange Days".
Old 02-22-2005, 12:54 PM
................... Anyone? I have it if you need me to send it to you.... It's a fun song.... From 1993....
Old 02-22-2005, 07:35 PM
thedudeman69 SAVES IT!

Tag
Old 02-22-2005, 07:37 PM
It was a decent song with a decent rhythem

Clint Eastwood by Gorillaz
Old 03-01-2005, 03:09 PM
***TAG***
Old 03-01-2005, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BadCoverVersion
***TAG***
Well...it's pretty much a forgone conclusion that you're gonna hate practically anything Albarn flavoured.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by thedudeman69
It was a decent song with a decent rhythem

... that's all you've got to say about Three Strange Days? Did you even listen to the song??
Old 03-01-2005, 07:34 PM
I'll tag: I love all things 80's... I'll let you know which one I get if not all three!!!

This is a reply to BCV - not sure how my post got above yours!!
Old 03-01-2005, 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Psychocandy
Well...it's pretty much a forgone conclusion that you're gonna hate practically anything Albarn flavoured.
Das is true...but I was looking to resurrect no matter what. So I gots to take it even though it pains me.

Anyway...the tune itself aint too shabby, but Albarn's lazy Cockerny drawl really drags me down...

"Ya-aaaain appy
Mmmfeelin glaaaa
Yago sunshaaahn
In a baaaa"

It's fucking gobblededook. Where's the appeal?

The rappy interlude is so-so...nothing to write home about, but a little light relief after a couple of minutes of Damo' wittering on like a twat.

Erm, mediocre tune...it doesn't grate on me as much as a Blur dirge such as "It's Over" or the seriously fucking chirrupy nonsense of "Country Aaaaaahse", so thumbs neither up nor down.

Try one of these Sheffield specials...

4JG by The Human League OR The Future
Into The Garden by Artery
Nag Nag Nag by Cabaret Voltaire

Stay away if you don't dig that 80's electro vibe.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:06 PM
If this tag isn't followed up on in the next few hours i'm a'stealin' it.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:54 PM
Sorry about that!!

My system crashed on Sunday and I can't download from work so please go ahead. If you only tag one I'll try to get one of the other ones before the weekend..

sorry!!
Old 03-03-2005, 02:51 PM
Tag
Old 03-11-2005, 12:24 PM
In the name of The Stinky Mermaid, my band of pirates have taken control of this tag.

Snce I'm already pretty versed with Cabaret Voltaire, and can't seem to find 4JG (really wanted that one - I just got Human League's Dare last weekend -- can't believe I had a cocaine playlist without any tracks off that album!! Haha.)

Well, it looks like Artery is coming in, and since I'm not familiar with this one, I'm looking forward to it. I see John Peels name in the credits here - it should be worth a liste. Ooh - Oh - Only a few seconds left. Here we go.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:32 PM
Into The Garden by Artery

Oh my. BadCoverVersion this is just great. I can't believe I haven't heard this before. It's right along the vein of Bauhaus, PiL, The Damned, and that lot. I judge 80s synth music by how well I can envision it used in an episode of Miami Vice, and this one gets 4 out of 4 Crockets!

Next up -

"Seperate Animals" by Appliance

or

"Cold War" - Trans Am

or

"The Game Is Not Over" - T. Raumschmiere

Last edited by The Postmaster General; 03-11-2005 at 12:49 PM..
Old 03-11-2005, 01:08 PM
"friday night's the night to tag"
Old 03-11-2005, 05:25 PM
"Cold War" - Trans Am

those were some hard song's to get hold of bubba but i managed to track down an mp3 of this one.
it's a good tune with a real 80's feel to it,the only problem i had with it was it sounded a little to much like early new order,not something that upsets me because i love that sound but it just did not have a lot of origonality to it because of it.
saying that for a first introduction to this band it would not put me off hearing some more.
alas it did not quite make 4 crockets but it did get.

out of a possible 5 tubbs.

next up i love this

bastardo-charlotte hatherley
Old 03-11-2005, 05:46 PM
Tag
Old 03-12-2005, 11:11 AM
Charlotte Hatherly - Bastardo

I love the video for this one. It's been cropping up regularly on MTV2 and always brings a wee smile of joy to my normally depressed coupon. Anyway...the song is a spiky little pop number wherein the rather cute Ms. Hatherly recounts the tale of a former one-night-stand gone hideously wrong. It's both amusing and full the brim with pop hooks that dig in deeper with each subsequent listen. Top notch.

Next up...

Artist - John Prine

Song - Sam Stone

This song contains a lyric so good Spiritualized stole it for Cop Shoot Cop from Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space.

Last edited by Psychocandy; 03-12-2005 at 01:11 PM..
Old 03-12-2005, 05:14 PM
Haha! 3 Tubbs! Awesome - totally made my day with that one, Paul (I'm a mondo Vice freak) If you dig that Trans-Am track, you might like other tunes by them. They are pretty good. Their new album (Liberation) is pretty political in nature, featuring many Bush amples. It sort of reminds me of what Ministry's NWO did for Bush sr. ....If that makes sense.

Tag!
Old 03-12-2005, 05:41 PM
John Prine - "Sam Stone"

Two tags in after a break from this thread and I'm immediately remembering why I'm sold on this being the most enriching thread on these boards. For me, at least.

Immediately, I was off-taken by the twangy voice. However, like all good country, the lyrics and composition dragged me right in. The year that came up on this one was 1993 - That really surprised seeing as it sounded to be ine the vein of something late-60s/early 70s: The years when country seemed to really latch on to large production values, while still keeping in with its roots. And sure enough, I find out that it was released in 1971. This song is really nice. It makes me feel like I'm on the plains riding a spaceship, if you follow. Overall, this tune felt full of cowboy heart, with just enough sadness to pick up a guitar.

Talking Heads - "Memories Can't Wait"
Old 03-12-2005, 06:04 PM
Tag
Old 03-12-2005, 07:10 PM
Talking Head - Memories Can't Wait

I've been meaning to check out some Talking Heads for a while now. My experience starts and stops with their Stop Making Sense live album. I played it for a year solid back when I discovered it in a friend's big brother's record collection. This song great. I'm not sure where this fits into Talking Heads discography chronologically but it doesn't really sound like anything i've heard from them before (though David Byrne's idiosyncratic vocals are, as always, unmistakeable). It's a lot darker. More menacing. This is a mighty fine song and I will be investigating further.

Next up...

Band - Rufus Wainwright

Song - Go Or Go Ahead

Last edited by Psychocandy; 03-15-2005 at 09:35 AM..
Old 03-15-2005, 09:41 AM
Anyone playing?
Old 03-15-2005, 11:02 AM
yeah why not got an hour to kiil tag
Old 03-15-2005, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by paul calf
yeah why not got an hour to kiil tag
I can send this to you via MSN Messenger if you like?
Old 03-15-2005, 11:48 AM
Rufus Wainwright - Go Or Go Ahead

a real epic of a song 6minutes and 38 seconds long,which to be honest felt a couple of minutes to long for me.
don't get me wrong i liked the song the lyrics were really deep and heartfelt,the music although basic was played well enough,i just did'nt feel as though i was hearing anything new or groundbreaking,which to be honest i am used to hearing when i tag one of your song's psycho.
a decent song just not one that would make me want to search out any more Rufus Wainwright song's.

next up

kasabian-butcher blues
Old 03-15-2005, 11:50 AM
Quote:
I can send this to you via MSN Messenger if you like?
sorry mate i was writing when you posted,got it easy enough on kazaa loads of hits
Old 03-15-2005, 12:53 PM
Tag
Old 03-17-2005, 08:32 PM
Quote:
Tag
psychocandy more like psycSLOWcandy am i rite

im stealing this tag