Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Music
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2005, 10:50 PM
Yeah, it's like watching a drunkard hold down a job.

Oh, he showed up for work today. Will he be here tomorrow? Wait.... wait.... wait... Damn it! He's drunk again!
Old 03-18-2005, 02:08 PM
Exactly bubba....

Now for my review

Butcher Blues

I don't understand the raving about Kasabian. I think they are a good band, but not a really great band that's worthy of awards. Butcher Blues is like Club Foot to me, a voice that isn't too great but the msuic really makes up for it. I really don't like the singing in this song much, but as I said there is some really good music to overpower that. So I enjoyed the song, but I didn't dig the voice too much.

My pick:

Every Day Is A Holiday With You by Esthero

(if you can't find it, i can host it on my site)
Old 03-19-2005, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BubbaStrangelove
Yeah, it's like watching a drunkard hold down a job.

Oh, he showed up for work today. Will he be here tomorrow? Wait.... wait.... wait... Damn it! He's drunk again!
Ouch!!!
Old 03-19-2005, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Psychocandy
Ouch!!!
^_______^
Old 03-20-2005, 09:30 AM
Hey Psycocandy -- I only used the drunkard example because I was at home drinking while writing it. There were at leasst a few different ways my comparison could have just as easily gone. It's not my fault you dropped on the tag on the day I skipped work and stopped off for a bottle of rum on the way home. However, I could have a solid case by saying the recent struggle of the music tag game is leading me to drink.

Tag
Old 03-21-2005, 10:39 AM
Esthero - "Every Day Is A Holiday (With You)"

This was a pretty cute popish song in the vein of 60s Euro singers with one word names. I'm not quite sure why this song didn't grab me more. It had lots of elements of things I'm a sucker for: sweet female vocals, spacey background noises, bells -- However, it may have in the end been that it just felt too familiar. I can see it was used on the Down With Love soundtrack, and that goes along well with my feelings for the movie: The style was right, the aesthetic was well-done, and everything felt right, but in the end didn't find the sort of charm that made me want to hear it again and again.

Okay, the next song up, I suggest it with reluctance, not because I think it's not that good, but because I can't beleive I like the album as much as I do.

William Shatner - "That's Me Trying"
Old 03-21-2005, 12:07 PM
Tag.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:08 PM
WIlliam Shatner - That's me trying

I've had this cd for a while now but haven't listened to it until today. I've heard a lot of praise for it, and now I know why.

I'm loving this song. It's got such a mellow feel to it. All of the music works well together. The piano and acoustic guitar at the beginning works magically with WIlliam Shatner's voice and lyrics. The background singers sound awesome as Shatner's voice overpowers them about 2 minutes into the song. Ben Folds and Aimee Mann sing pretty well together at the end too. You would think there would be a certain cheeze factor with Shatner, but it's actually quite the opposite.

Death Cab For Cutie - A Lack Of Color
Old 03-21-2005, 05:29 PM
Tag
Old 03-21-2005, 06:06 PM
Death Cab For Cutie - A Lack of Colour

I've heard bits and pieces of Death Cab before and have always come away impressed and thinking I should check them out. This is a gentle strum of a song and it was quite subtle in the way it snuck up on me after about three listens. Quite beautiful. Thanks.

Next up...

Band - Doves

Song - The Cedar Room
Old 03-22-2005, 04:51 PM
tag
Old 03-22-2005, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Band - Doves

Song - The Cedar Room

Great song that reminded me of hints of Appliance, Clinic, Beta Band and Death In Vegas. This song was very droning, hypnotic, dark -- something sounds like it could have been composed electronicly, but was done with guitars. I really want to check out more off this album Dark Souls. This is really well produced, and executed. Nice selection, Psychocandy.

"The Game Is Not Over" - T. Raumschmiere
Old 03-22-2005, 09:48 PM
I'm not saying the word, but you know I am
Old 03-25-2005, 12:27 PM
****************targh*******************
Old 03-25-2005, 01:01 PM
"The Game Is Not Over" - T. Raumschmiere

first up i had never heard of this guy/band/girl whatever T. Raumschmiere is,so i was scepticle to begin with.
then when the song started i thought oh fuck i'm going to hate this i may have to untag for fear of seriously upsetting someones taste in music.
but after giving it a minute i found myself getting into it,ok it is pretty far removed from the stuff i am into but it was a fun little ditty.
it is an electro funk japenese sounding version of soemone like the ravonettes,loads of energy loads of cheesyness but loads of fun.
not something i would go out and buy but it was definatly a new and interesting sound.
cheers bubba.

next up
the zutons-creepin and a crawlin
Old 03-25-2005, 01:48 PM
Tag
Old 03-25-2005, 02:29 PM
The Zutons - Creepin And A Crawlin

I LIKE The Zutons but I don't LOVE The Zutons. They are exceptionally talented but there's something a little bit too perky about their music that ensures that their appeal is limited where i'm concerned. This song is typical Zutons. Catchy and quirky in almost equal measure. It doesn't measure up to You Will You Won't, Confusion, or Remember Me but for a b-side it's a million miles away from being an embarrassment. I have a lot of respect for any band who puts a lot of effort into their b-side and having bought three of The Zutons' single releases I can testify to the quality of their efforts. Cheers Calfboy.

Next up...

Band - The Raveonettes

Song - Somewhere In Texas

I can send this song via MSN Messenger if that's an option.

Last edited by Psychocandy; 03-25-2005 at 02:34 PM..
Old 03-25-2005, 03:51 PM
Oh, please never untag off me Paul. Sometimes I need to be put in check. But for real -- it's all about learning experiences. I might feel silly, but never upset. Glad you enjoyed the tune though. Even I'll admit that I was skeptical about the intro in the song - It goes on for nearly a minute, I checked.

I'd take this tag Psycho, but want to leave it for someone who hasn't heard this severely undermentioned band.

Oh, and am I the only one who feels like they are being chased when they are listening to ...Who Killed The Zutons?? It's hard to explain any more logically than that, but they really make me feel like I'm being chased by the band. Nothing else has ever made me feel like that when listening to it.

Last edited by The Postmaster General; 03-25-2005 at 03:54 PM..
Old 03-26-2005, 07:43 AM
I've never played this game before...

-TAG-
Old 03-26-2005, 07:58 AM
Right, the song's over and let me just say that I fucking loved it. It started off as strangely calm then when the beat kicked in, I was hooked. There was something soothing about the vocals, I can't put my finger on it. I'd go into more detail about the song but I'm needed somewhere. I'll just say that I have the urge to check out everything else done by the Raveonettes- congratulations Psychocandy, you've created a fan!

Edit- I'm changing my choice of song to No Rain by Blind Melon

Last edited by scottish-movie-freak; 03-26-2005 at 08:00 AM..
Old 03-26-2005, 10:20 AM
Tag
Old 03-26-2005, 10:46 AM
Blind Melon - No Rain

I didn't think I knew this song. I do. Vaguely. I was never a fan of Blind Melon. That vid with the little bumblebee girl used to make me want to put my foot through the TV every fucking time. All in all though...this is pretty harmless. Nothing that would make me reconsider my opinion of BM but not the kind of song that makes me want to destroy some furniture in a fit of fury. It's janglesome and fairly catchy in a finger snappin', toe tappin' kinda way. Doesn't mean i'll play it again though. It's a little too upbeat for my manic depressive ass.

Next up...

Band - Doves

Song - Walk In Fire

Play it loud...it's one of the those quiet at the start type songs that builds to an epic.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:17 AM
tag
Old 03-26-2005, 11:40 AM
Doves-Walk In Fire

A decent (dare I say it) "little" song. I don't think that Doves is a brilliant band or a great band really, but they provide a lot of little tunes that are fun to listen to.This one is no different. I hardly find it to be an epic near the end, it just builds up constantly throughout. I did get sick of hearing "Walk on fiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrreeeeeeeeee" near the end of the song, but luckily they stopped doing that. I really can't say anything else on the song, it was an average yet fun tune.

Now for the return of the abominable Tegan and Sara for my next pick

Speak Slow by Tegan and Sara
Old 03-26-2005, 07:39 PM
tag
Old 03-26-2005, 08:03 PM
Speak Slow by Tegan and Sara

either i am in a bad mood or this song just caught me at totally the wrong time,it really grated me all the way through.
i felt like i was listening to my twelve year old daughter and her mates trying to sing in a babyish manner on top of some horrible bubblegum music.
sorry if thats brutal but i this was torture.

next up

razorlight-vice
Old 03-27-2005, 07:23 PM
tag
Old 03-28-2005, 10:05 PM
Vice

I found it to be a very boring song. I found nothing very enticing in this or interesting to me. A very 'blah' listen really and that's about it.

Living In America by The Sounds
Old 04-01-2005, 05:05 AM
Tag
Old 04-01-2005, 05:12 AM
Not totally awful but I didn't like it that much. I do enjoy Blondies old stuff and it just seemed to me as if they were doing a half assed impression of them and the girls voice wasn't half as sexy as Deborah Harrys. The song was catchy but instantly forgettable, I probably wouldn't give it another listen but it was harmless. On the back of this song, I don't have much of an urge to check out anything else by The Sounds but maybe that's just me (I have weird taste).

Now... I think we'll have A Waltz For A Night by Julie Delpy
Old 04-01-2005, 11:36 AM
Tag
Old 04-02-2005, 11:04 AM
Julie Delpy - A Waltz For A Night

Goddamn...this song is just beautiful. I remember it from the movie and also recall promising myself that i'd check to see if Ms. Delpy had recorded any albums (i've since discovered that this is indeed the case but i've yet to get a hold of a copy). Just hearing this again is enough to push me over the edge. I'm off to hunt down a copy right now.

Next up...

Band - LCD Soundsystem

Song - Movement
Old 04-02-2005, 07:03 PM
Tag
Old 04-05-2005, 05:22 AM
I would steal this tag. But that would be dumb. Anyone else want to tag this?
Old 04-05-2005, 05:37 PM
Tag
Old 04-05-2005, 05:58 PM
Hmm, maybe it's just me but I felt as if they were trying to combine two different songs in Movement. It took far too long to get going but when the guitars and main tune kicked in, it was rather cool. There's part of me that likes this song and there's the other part which tells me it's shit. If only it got rid of (or even just shortened) the opening, we would have the perfect song. I won't judge LCD Soundsystem on this song alone, I might download some of their others. I'm intrigued.

And for my choice, we'll have... Knock Yourself Out by Jon Brion (a little ditty from I Heart Huckabees)
Old 04-05-2005, 06:01 PM
Tag

As for Movement by LCD soundsystem...to these ears it sounds like an electronica Mary Chain with ubergrouch Mark E. Smith of The Fall on vocals. Something about the resultant mutation both amuses and pleases me.

Last edited by Psychocandy; 04-05-2005 at 06:06 PM..
Old 04-05-2005, 08:23 PM
Quote:
Tag

As for Movement by LCD soundsystem...to these ears it sounds like an electronica Mary Chain with ubergrouch Mark E. Smith of The Fall on vocals. Something about the resultant mutation both amuses and pleases me.
I haven't heard much Mary Chain, the only thing that springs to mind is the song from Lost In Translation. It was basically one half of a good song but then again, electronica (if that's what you call it) isn't something that really appeals to me.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:23 AM
Uh, Psychocandy?
Old 04-07-2005, 10:36 AM
Bugger!!! Forgot...i'm on it.