Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Music
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2003, 10:50 AM
O.K. I downloaded both songs and listened to them back to back. Now I've never been a real fan of Pink Floyd but I do like a little bit of thier work here and there but the original really did not do much for me. It was kind of just there as I listened to it. No real spark. The remake was alot better. It had more "Umph" and felt like a much better Jam session than its previous counterpart. So in this case that song was a remake that was much needed.

If There's Hell Below

Curtis Mayfield
Old 02-05-2003, 11:49 AM
*tag*

I waited a bit to tag this since I have the dead presidents soundtrack...but oh well...it's a great one.
Old 02-05-2003, 11:57 AM
Hell Below-Curtis Mayfield

Wocka Wocka-let's groove on into the funky and psychadelic sixties! Great bassline, dead on vocals (of course) and a refreshing politically incorrect message combine to make this required listening for the era. I highly suggest the dead presidents soundtract, by the way, that has a wonderful compilation of similar songs by various artists. I dare you to sit still during this track!

Next Pick :

Louis Prima-Closer to the Bone

Last edited by SIREN30; 02-05-2003 at 12:14 PM..
Old 02-05-2003, 01:03 PM
The Dead Presidents soundtrack is what introduced me to Mr. Mayfield

Its King Louie from The Jungle Book! Thats so damn cool. Oh my god this song is infectious! This is catchy beyond belief. It's smooth charasmatic and the whole entire time I picture King Louie singing it which makes it twice as fun. Your right about not being able to sit still. If you don't feel the urge to get down to this song you must not be human. This song is going to get alot of airplay from me in the days to come. Along with the hundred other great songs I have found from this thread.

Next up:

Sue's Last Ride

The Dirty Three.
Old 02-05-2003, 01:07 PM

I officially LOVE Tom Waits...

It's all so bleak, dramatic, wry....and it sounds OH SO great!!!

Innocent when you dream

LOVE it, the merry-go-round feel (ding ding...and the tings )...and the beautiful vocals, it makes me almost tearful...I kid you not, this man has got such a gorgeous quality to his voice. The intertwining vocals just knit together, the contrast in mood is pure genius!!! The lyrics are profound and poetic, "The bats are in the belfry, the dew is on the moor. Where are the arms that he held me and pleged her love before", It reminds me of a "Beer Keller", pint-pots clinking and heads swaying in unison, a rowdy yet emotional rendition courtesy of the local drunkards. This is probably the best song I've heard since being here (throughout both the SOTW threads and this little gamey...) I like it THAT much. I'm telling you, I wasn't prepared for this...ABSOLUTELY BLINDING!!!

Starving in the Belly of the Whale

Well, this has got a lot to live up to...and it certainly packs a punch!!! Jesus, Tommy must put on one hell of a performance, this is fab (I'm flabbergasted), I can't get enough of the cynicism, the theatricalities and that snarling sound. It's night-listening...the underbelly of life, a genuine nocturnal atmosphere and yet the music is rather light-hearted. Another thumbs-up...I am a complete sucker for this bloke!!!

Heartattack and Vine

The intro is great...and unlike any of the other Tom Waits material I've heard (thus far), it's definitely more "accessible" in terms of style, but that doesn't take any of the shine away. This tune could work for a number of artists...Iggy, Tom Petty, Lou Reed. I love his gravely rasp sooooooo much, I can almost picture him spitting the lyrics (I can certainly hear saliva forming)...bottle of spirits in one hand, ciggie in the other. Oh yes…and it’s toe-tapping. Great little number.

Well Bowieee, I shall have to purchase a fair few albums by this great man. I can only thank you for familiarising me with his work.

THANKS!!!
Old 02-05-2003, 01:09 PM
*TAG*
Old 02-05-2003, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BadCoverVersion
I officially LOVE Tom Waits...

It's all so bleak, dramatic, wry....and it sounds OH SO great!!!

Innocent when you dream

LOVE it, the merry-go-round feel (ding ding...and the tings )...and the beautiful vocals, it makes me almost tearful...I kid you not, this man has got such a gorgeous quality to his voice. The intertwining vocals just knit together, the contrast in mood is pure genius!!! The lyrics are profound and poetic, "The bats are in the belfry, the dew is on the moor. Where are the arms that he held me and pleged her love before", It reminds me of a "Beer Keller", pint-pots clinking and heads swaying in unison, a rowdy yet emotional rendition courtesy of the local drunkards. This is probably the best song I've heard since being here (throughout both the SOTW threads and this little gamey...) I like it THAT much. I'm telling you, I wasn't prepared for this...ABSOLUTELY BLINDING!!!

Starving in the Belly of the Whale

Well, this has got a lot to live up to...and it certainly packs a punch!!! Jesus, Tommy must put on one hell of a performance, this is fab (I'm flabbergasted), I can't get enough of the cynicism, the theatricalities and that snarling sound. It's night-listening...the underbelly of life, a genuine nocturnal atmosphere and yet the music is rather light-hearted. Another thumbs-up...I am a complete sucker for this bloke!!!

Heartattack and Vine

The intro is great...and unlike any of the other Tom Waits material I've heard (thus far), it's definitely more "accessible" in terms of style, but that doesn't take any of the shine away. This tune could work for a number of artists...Iggy, Tom Petty, Lou Reed. I love his gravely rasp sooooooo much, I can almost picture him spitting the lyrics (I can certainly hear saliva forming)...bottle of spirits in one hand, ciggie in the other. Oh yes…and it’s toe-tapping. Great little number.

Well Bowieee, I shall have to purchase a fair few albums by this great man. I can only thank you for familiarising me with his work.

THANKS!!!
Your Welcome
Old 02-05-2003, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bowieee
The Dead Presidents soundtrack is what introduced me to Mr. Mayfield

Its King Louie from The Jungle Book! Thats so damn cool. Oh my god this song is infectious! This is catchy beyond belief. It's smooth charasmatic and the whole entire time I picture King Louie singing it which makes it twice as fun. Your right about not being able to sit still. If you don't feel the urge to get down to this song you must not be human. This song is going to get alot of airplay from me in the days to come. Along with the hundred other great songs I have found from this thread.

Next up:

Sue's Last Ride

The Dirty Three.
and weren't the lyrics great? All about skinny girls (long live skinny girls) my favorite line: 'well, she'd make a fine fountain pen if she only learned how to write/ she looks just like a garter snake/ yeah she rolls up every night'
Old 02-05-2003, 01:40 PM
"She'd make a good thermometer if she drank a glass of wine"

I'm listening to this song for about the fourth time in a row while doing some chores. Eegads its unbelievably good! Thanks Siren
Old 02-05-2003, 01:51 PM
Sue's Last Ride

Very mellow, twangy melodious thingummy...nice though, then it seems to change its mind and go off on a completely different tangent. It's easy on the ears...and a gentle build-up, but hey hey hey it does get a-rocking at the end here!!! Violins...drums...whatever the hell they're playing...did they just grab the closest instrument and improv...

It's nice music, doesn't exactly GRAB me but I'm not one for instrumentals. Jesus, this song is following TRIPLE Tom Waits...and thats tough!!!

Thumbs up all the same.

Next Pick...

I thought I'd try a bit more Zappa, he does amuse me...

Artist - Frank Zappa

Track - Crew Slut
Old 02-05-2003, 01:52 PM
*tig*
Old 02-05-2003, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BadCoverVersion
Sue's Last Ride

Very mellow, twangy melodious thingummy...nice though, then it seems to change its mind and go off on a completely different tangent. It's easy on the ears...and a gentle build-up, but hey hey hey it does get a-rocking at the end here!!! Violins...drums...whatever the hell they're playing...did they just grab the closest instrument and improv...

It's nice music, doesn't exactly GRAB me but I'm not one for instrumentals. Jesus, this song is following TRIPLE Tom Waits...and thats tough!!!

Thumbs up all the same.

Next Pick...

I thought I'd try a bit more Zappa, he does amuse me...

Artist - Frank Zappa

Track - Crew Slut
I thought I would just switch it up a bit
Old 02-05-2003, 02:26 PM
Artist - Frank Zappa

Track - Crew Slut

well you have to be in the mood for frank and right now i must be,the man is so funny,his lyrics just roll off his tongue with no effort at all,i would love to spend a few hrs inside his head just to see how he comes up with this stuff.
this particular song is usual zappa fodder groovy tunes with jangly guitars and some nice harmonica thrown in,while his very unique singing style and his own unique lyrics tell a story of what it is like to be a crew slut, a job that does'nt sound that great the way he puts it.
this is great if you fancy something a little different but not recomended for easy listening.
interesting choice bcv

kenny rogers

just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in
Old 02-05-2003, 02:37 PM
Tag

I'll leave someone else to *tag* Kenny, but I'll review anyway (purely for fun)...

Hmmm, It's sad but I ADORE Mr Rogers (Definite GUILTY PLEASURE alongside Neil Diamond). He is perfect for a pissed-up singalong..."The Gambler", "Coward of the County", "Islands in the Stream"...EVERYBODY in the pub knows and loves 'em all...and this in NO exception. It's a wee bit more soulful than Kenny's other tunes, and not half as "Country"...probably easier to swallow compared to his twangy cowboy sorta stuff.

The title of the song is fun...and the content is just as entertaining, you can't go wrong I'm afraid.

Thumbs-up!!!
TAG

moc-moc-a-moc
Old 02-05-2003, 02:46 PM
This was a nice little song. The intro was great and the chorus in the background really adds to the song. I usually don't really care for Kenny but this song peaked my interest and held it. The little jam session midway through was fun. Plus Kenny Rogers sounds like he is getting in touch with his "Soulfull" side which is fun.

By the way Paul How is that whole entire Travis album? Is it worth getting? Because I love that Humpty Dumpty Song.

Psychocandy feel free to take over the tag.
Old 02-05-2003, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by paul calf
Artist - Frank Zappa

Track - Crew Slut

well you have to be in the mood for frank and right now i must be,the man is so funny,his lyrics just roll off his tongue with no effort at all,i would love to spend a few hrs inside his head just to see how he comes up with this stuff.
this particular song is usual zappa fodder groovy tunes with jangly guitars and some nice harmonica thrown in,while his very unique singing style and his own unique lyrics tell a story of what it is like to be a crew slut, a job that does'nt sound that great the way he puts it.
this is great if you fancy something a little different but not recomended for easy listening.
interesting choice bcv
Glad you enjoyed Calf,

This particular gem is from "Joes Garage", a musical/narrative about a fictional band and a totalitarian future (music is banned of course, and the album focuses on issues such as consumerism and religion...)

It really is bloody hilarious in parts, you just have to hear some of the "creative" song-titles...

-Catholic Girls
-Why does is hurt when I pee?
-Fembot in a wet T-Shirt

My favourite lyrics have got to be..."Fick mich, du miserabler hurensohn"...
Old 02-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bowieee
This was a nice little song. The intro was great and the chorus in the background really adds to the song. I usually don't really care for Kenny but this song peaked my interest and held it. The little jam session midway through was fun. Plus Kenny Rogers sounds like he is getting in touch with his "Soulfull" side which is fun.

By the way Paul How is that whole entire Travis album? Is it worth getting? Because I love that Humpty Dumpty Song.

Psychocandy feel free to take over the tag.
the invisible band by travis is a great album i recomend you download flowers in the window and sing if you like those 2 you will love the album,they are more typical of the songs on it than humpty dumpty.
Old 02-05-2003, 03:23 PM
Kenny Rogers - Just Dropped In To See What Condition My Condition Was In

Ha. Brilliant. I'm a huge fan of the Coen Brother's classic movie "The Big Lebowski" and this song features prominently in an hilarious dream sequence. I'll admit that I was surprised to discover that this was by Kenny "Cheesy Country" Rogers. Don't get me wrong. I'm not a fan of his music but I can see the appeal. It just generally don't appeal to me. I associate his music with my mothers record collection from the seventies and early eighties. I'll admit that I was a bit taken back by the dirty jam halfway through the song. A lot of fun. Great song.

Next choice...

Band - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

Album - Nocturama

Just download one of the following songs...

Babe, I'm On Fire (this song is 15 minutes long so I would only suggest downloading it if you are patient)

Bring It On

Still In Love

Dead Man In My Bed

These are for me the stand out tracks thus far on an album that is likely to achieve masterpiece status after another couple of listens. If you can't find any of the above (although you should) then just download any track from Nocturama. I did a search on Kazaa by just typing in Nick Cave Nocturama and it came up with most of the tracks from the album.
Old 02-05-2003, 03:25 PM
TAG
Old 02-05-2003, 03:36 PM
That was extremely hard to get a download. It tok me about 5 minutes but I got one to work. I am really really looking foward to this song. The download is going to take about 30 minutes though but I'll be back and probably dancing with joy. I can't wait...
Old 02-05-2003, 04:00 PM
Nick Caves Frenzied side is back!

I wasn't expecting the energy of this song when I downloaded it. I thought this was a side to cave he left behind him awhile ago. I am extremely pleased with this song. The frantic singing along with the music crashing going on behind him is a winning formula to me.I still haven't deciphered what this song is about yet but I am going to make it my first priority. I love Nick Cave in all of his forms from mellow to ranting lunatic and this song proves to me that the man still has a muse smiling down upon him. Thank You Psychocandy I would have had to waited until the album release date to hear this masterpiece. I didn't even think about checking for advance copies floating around on the internet.

Now this next song is a side of David Bowie not alot of people have heard. Keep in mind this is his pre "rock star" days and you'll either find this funny and neat or completely embarrassing .

Laughing Gnome

David Bowie

Last edited by bowieee; 02-05-2003 at 04:04 PM..
Old 02-05-2003, 04:05 PM
Pete Yorn - On Your Side

Just reviewing this for fun and because i've been meaning to check Yorn out for a while now. For some reason this particular song reminds me every so slightly of a couple of the more sedate songs from The Foo Fighters. Since i'm a big fan of The Foo's this is not a problem. I absolutely love this song. It's everything a hearfelt ballad should be. I'll definitely be checking out more of Pete Yorn's stuff soon. Time for a trip to Avalanche Records in Glasgow methinks.
Old 02-05-2003, 04:07 PM
Tag

I just gotta...
Old 02-05-2003, 04:40 PM
David Bowie - The Laughing Gnome

Consider the following facts.

1. I'm a huge David Bowie fan

2. The Laughing Gnome is infamous

3. I've never heard it until now

I really don't know what to say about this. It's fucking hilarious but not in a good way. It's astonishingly annoying. It features some very bad puns ("haven't you got a gnome to go to?"). The squeaky gnome voice throughout almost drove me to push hot needles into my ear drums. I can't say that this song will be joining the others on my playlist. I can't even say with any certainty that i'll ever listen to it again (I tried to press play again but my hand wouldn't obay me). I can say though that i'm glad I downloaded it. It highlights, I think, the degree of inspirational change that Bowie went through in a very short period before unleashing the first in a long and steady salvo of absolute classics throughout the Seventies. Cheers Bowie. This song is gonna haunt me.

Anyway...for my next choice...

Artist - Vic Chesnutt

Song - Until The Led

Try searching for Until The Led rather than Vic Chesnutt but be careful as there seems to be a cover version out there too by Various Artists (whatever the fuck that means).

If you can't find the above gem of a song then try the following as an alternative...

Band - The Doves

Song - The Cedar Room

In fact...if you can find both then knock yerself out and download both...they are absolute crackers!!!
Old 02-05-2003, 04:41 PM
Tag on the doves

I'm all ready a vic fan.

I see what you mean by the bowie song but I still love it for its cheesy factor. Kind of like when you get to see your friends embarrassing old photos.
Old 02-05-2003, 05:06 PM
From the get go I knew I would like this song. The intro is haunting, the music is different and the lead vocals breeze through the song. Quite a nice little pick. The strength of this song in my eyes is the music in the background. Its very compelling. It paints a wall of sound that wraps around the vocals and that made the song very listenable.

One more selection and then I'm off to see CKY play!

to make up for the last bowie track here is a track where he is singing some Brel.

David Bowie

Port of Amsterdam
Old 02-05-2003, 05:22 PM

I won't *tag* this...I know it well, the Brel version, the Walker version AND the Bowie version.

They are all equally FANTASTIQUE but Bowie's take is probably my favourite.

The ferocious acoustic guitar and the growling vocals make it...and the fact that Bowie says "P-waart of Amsterdam". The song itself is mega, lyrically great and catchy. Seedy, dark, mocking, merry, haunting and bags ‘o’ fun.

My favourite lyrics have got to be...

"In the port of Amsterdam
Where the sailors all meet
There's a sailor who eats
Only fish head and tails
And he'll show you his teeth
That have rotted too soon
That can haul up the sails
That can swallow the moon"

Great pick Bowieee!!!
Old 02-05-2003, 05:26 PM
Bowieee...

Glad you liked "Babe, I'm On Fire". Like you i'm a fan of Cave whether he is spitting out lyrics like venom or crooning the most the most heartwarming ode to love. This song definitely falls into the venom spitting category. The album is magnificent. Since returning from work this evening i've listened to it three times. It's far more eclectic than both "No More Shall We Part" and "The Boatman's Call" and succeeds in covering the entire spectrum of Cave's songwriting skills. The Bad Seeds are given free reign to prove in a manner I haven't heard since "Let Love In" that they are indeed a mightily impressive collective. I bought the limited edition of the album and it comes with a DVD featuring the 15 minute video for "Babe, I'm On Fire". It's fucking hilarious. The band take turns to dress up and depict each of the characters from the song itself. Everyone hams it up superbly including Nick himself. Brilliant stuff.

I seriously recommend that you at least download "Bring It On". It's just about the most straightforward rock song i've heard from Nick and The Bad Seeds but at the same time it's utterly brilliant. It's gonna be the first single from the album and if there is any justice it would be a huge hit. Unfortunately "Justice" is currently whoring it for the Pop Idol fraterntity and the boy/girl band massive and has no time for real songwriting talent. So the song will likely pop into the charts for a week (if it charts at all) then beat a hasty retreat out of the Top 40 as if it's being chased by an army waving shitty sticks.
Old 02-05-2003, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Psychocandy
Bowieee...

Glad you liked "Babe, I'm On Fire". Like you i'm a fan of Cave whether he is spitting out lyrics like venom or crooning the most the most heartwarming ode to love. This song definitely falls into the venom spitting category. The album is magnificent. Since returning from work this evening i've listened to it three times. It's far more eclectic than both "No More Shall We Part" and "The Boatman's Call" and succeeds in covering the entire spectrum of Cave's songwriting skills. The Bad Seeds are given free reign to prove in a manner I haven't heard since "Let Love In" that they are indeed a mightily impressive collective. I bought the limited edition of the album and it comes with a DVD featuring the 15 minute video for "Babe, I'm On Fire". It's fucking hilarious. The band take turns to dress up and depict each of the characters from the song itself. Everyone hams it up superbly including Nick himself. Brilliant stuff.

I seriously recommend that you at least download "Bring It On". It's just about the most straightforward rock song i've heard from Nick and The Bad Seeds but at the same time it's utterly brilliant. It's gonna be the first single from the album and if there is any justice it would be a huge hit. Unfortunately "Justice" is currently whoring it for the Pop Idol fraterntity and the boy/girl band massive and has no time for real songwriting talent. So the song will likely pop into the charts for a week (if it charts at all) then beat a hasty retreat out of the Top 40 as if it's being chased by an army waving shitty sticks.
I allready downloaded Bring it on moments after finishing Babe on fire. I believe one of the dirty three is playing in the background on that one. The album has not yet been released here in the states but it in a few weeks the door will be kicked open for me to buy that album. I'll be their on release day. Feburary is turning into the month of music for me. The new Nick Cave album, A Ramones album with tom waits doing one of the songs along with the chili peppers and others, the new cat power, and I get to see cky tonight, Jonathan Richman again tomorrow, and cat power in a week or so. THis is going to be a great month. I can't wait to see that dvd thats included with the cd.

Oh and I love the imagery in your last post of teen idols waving shit sticks beating the good music away
Old 02-05-2003, 05:39 PM
Y'know. Considering the fact that this post only has about five or six regular contributors it's testament to how much fun it is that it's overtaken the "What Are You Listening To Now" and "Official Best Band Ever Tournament" posts that have been running for months in the space of only a few weeks. I'm honestly surprised that more schmoes haven't leapt at the chance of getting involved. I'm mentioned before that i'm planning on starting and FTP once I go broadband. Basically this means that with the use of a piece of software (Bulletproof FTP and CuteFTP are both popular examples) i'll be able to give schmoes access to a section of my hard drive from which they will be able to download any MP3s I place there as well as upload any MP3s as and when I allow access. This will help this thread no end. I'm giving some serous thought to limiting the number of schmoes I allow access to those who contribute to this thread. Anyway...this is in the future. It'll be a couple of months before I go Broadband and I won't be doing anything until both that and the purchase of a second hard drive takes place. I've discovered that it's far simpler to set up and FTP than I could have ever imagined so I don't imagine any technical issues getting in the way of the fun times ahead.
Old 02-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Oh...and TAG!!!

Fuck it!!! BCV's description intrigued me. I wan't to hear this now.
Old 02-05-2003, 06:44 PM
David Bowie - Port Of Amsterdam

I'm not familiar with the original and had never heard this cover. I like a bit of strumming on the old acoustic guitar though so taking both that and my love of Bowie into consideration it was pretty much a given that I would like this. And I do. A lot. I like the way it starts of gentle and builds and builds until Bowie is yelling the lyrics and banging away at the guitar like a man possessed. As I understand it Bowie's Pin-Ups album consists solely of cover versions. Am I correct? How do the other tracks measure up against this one?

Ok...my last suggestion for tonight is...

Band - Smog

Song - Hit The Ground Running

or...if y'all can't get that one try...

Band - Sparklehorse

Song - Chaos Of The Galaxy/Happy Man
Old 02-05-2003, 06:49 PM
I'm not tagging due to having to leave but I just want to say I love both bands up there!
Old 02-05-2003, 06:57 PM
*Taggety Boo*
Old 02-05-2003, 07:23 PM
I'm having trouble with Kazaa, I WILL review this but I'm not sure if I'll be able to do so tonight...

Take the *TAG* folks...
Old 02-05-2003, 11:14 PM
*TAG*...I'm praying this one'll download quickly before I collapse in my medicated stupor
Old 02-05-2003, 11:24 PM
Smog-Hit the ground running

Really enjoyed this song, possibly one of my favorites that has come from this game. I loved the guitar, the tune and the vocals. It's low-key, and doesn't really fall into any specific genre. Completely offbeat and totally different from what I was expecting. Fantastic song. The sort that really suits any and all of my greatly differing moods. I'll certainly be listening to this one again.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Right, I am greatly medicated (damn sickness going around) and about to fall asleep, so forgive me if this song is a bit popular. I think it's rather lovely, simple, and sweet. Especially with this pounding headache. I think a lot of this artists work is pretty trite and unremarkable, but this song has really grown on me.

Singer: Duncan Sheik
Song: Mr. Chess
Old 02-06-2003, 04:02 AM
Im gonna TAG. For the first time folks so please be patient.

If i have any probs i will let you know soon.