Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Music
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2005, 06:30 AM
Do just wanna move on?

Someone just post a song.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:50 AM
Gimme...like...ten minutes...max. Ok?
Old 04-10-2005, 07:09 AM
Jon Brion - Knock Yourself Out

This is a really gorgeous song full of sunkissed melodies and some subtle harmonies. It sounds a little like a more upbeat Elliot Smith (i'm not familiar enough with Elliot Smith to know whether anything he did was upbeat...i've only heard some of his more sombre moments). From what I can gather Jon Brion is a composer and has been in recent times responsible for the soundtracks of Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind and I Heart Huckabees (from which this song is drawn). I haven't seen Huckabees but Eternal Sunshine's soundtrack really struck me whilst watching the movie (I meant to buy it but haven't gotten around to it yet). How many songs does Jon Brion commit to each of these soundtracks and is this song representative of the quality of his songwriting. If he mostly provides instrumental music for his soundtracks then he should really consider doing an album. This song alone is good enough to suggest he wouldn't be wasting his time. Cheers SMF. This one really struck a chord.

Next up...

Band - The Decemberists

Song - We Both Go Down Together
Old 04-10-2005, 07:09 AM
BTW...sorry for taking so long. I'm a cock!!!
Old 04-10-2005, 09:35 AM
You are indeed a cock! But I'm glad to see you liked the song.

TAG.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:57 AM
We Both Go Down Together- The Decemberists

A truly beautiful and heartfelt song, marred only by the lead singers voice. There was just something about his vocals that went against the grain and ruined what could have been a perfect song. When I say ruined, I don't mean I could never listen to this song again. I could and I will but if only it was an instrumental or they had someone else singing. The lyrics also made me feel a bit sentimental and mushy, one line that really got to me was "my parents will never consent to this love"- it's not as if I could identify with the song, it just made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

For some reason, I've been listening to my parents record collection lately so we'll have some Nina Simone (who my Dad is a big fan of). The song will be My Baby Just Cares For Me, for whoever wants to tag it.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:10 AM
Y'know...the problem that you highlight with the guy from the Decemberist's vocals. I kinda felt the same way to begin with. The first time I gave them a shot I didn't allow them the time to win me over and it was mainly due to the vocals. Now I own all three albums and two eps and they are probably my favorite band at the moment. The actual arrangements of the songs are astonishing and it was this factor that hooked me in. After a while I got used to the "weak" vocals and actually now look upon them as a strength rather than a hindrance to my enjoyment of the complete package. They really do grow on you.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:11 AM
It helps that the lyrics at time border on being pure poetry.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:15 AM
If it's not too late, I wanna change the song I chose. I just realised that most people will already have heard it.

The new song shall be Oh Yeah by The Subways.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:48 PM
one_crow wants to play...

TAG

Downloading as I type this...
Old 04-11-2005, 09:06 PM
The Subways - Oh Yeah

A fun, energetic, catchy little song. The female vocalist got on my nerves a little, but after a few more listens it might grow on me. Overall a great song, I'll be keeping this one.

(Sorry, I'm not a very good reviewer.)

As for my pick...

Artist: Matthew Good

Song: While We Were Hunting Rabbits
Old 04-12-2005, 01:49 AM
Tag
Old 04-20-2005, 05:00 PM
Stealing this tag PSYCHSLOWCANDY
Old 04-20-2005, 05:32 PM
While We Were Hunting Rabbits by Matthew Good

Eh, this is really typical Matt Good to me. I really liked his older stuff, but then he became really political in his songs and his music started to drop in quality. I do not know when this was produced, but since you said Matthew Good I think it's recently(no Band added there). If it's his older stuff then I am shocked since he was great back then. Either way this song did not do much for me.

Next up

Straight Ahead by Tube and Berger feat. Chrissie Hynde

Link to mp3 Here

Oh yeah, tag it if you haven't heard the song before
Old 04-26-2005, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bowieee
My Heart ~
I feel like I"m Waiting in Line for Space Mountain in Disneyland while listening to this song. In that dark area where all the tv's showing space news are. Pretty trippy stuff but pretty as well. I love how it almost sounds u2ish as the guitars start chiming in. Very atmospherish. The vocals were nice and harmonious as well. I really like this song Bubba, ALOT.

Have you seen these guys live? I Would figure that they would really be a blast to experience.

Late respsonse to Bowiee -- RE: THE HELIO SEQUENCE. I actually got to see thse guys about a month after you asked. They were opening for The Secret Machines. Personally, i thought they were great. It was just a couple guys on stage, but they really rocked the place down. I found them to be a better show than Secret Machines (who also put on a good show) -- There was really a lot to their songs, and the way Helio Sequence arranges their songs and the over all mood they produce is really awe inspiring. This venue they were at BLOWS Imo, but they really left me standing there still. (Sweating cause of no a/c in Florida, chocking cause of no ventilation ((IN FLA!!), and looking past the shit soundsystem -- But still, one of the technically better shows I've seen, including the big ones.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:34 AM
bumpity bumpity
Old 08-04-2005, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by someguy
While We Were Hunting Rabbits by Matthew Good

Eh, this is really typical Matt Good to me. I really liked his older stuff, but then he became really political in his songs and his music started to drop in quality. I do not know when this was produced, but since you said Matthew Good I think it's recently(no Band added there). If it's his older stuff then I am shocked since he was great back then. Either way this song did not do much for me.

Next up

Link to mp3 Here

This link has kicked the bucket. You got another one little fella?

If not I'll have a sneaky peak on acquisition...
Old 08-04-2005, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BubbaStrangelove
Late respsonse to Bowiee -- RE: THE HELIO SEQUENCE. I actually got to see thse guys about a month after you asked. They were opening for The Secret Machines. Personally, i thought they were great. It was just a couple guys on stage, but they really rocked the place down. I found them to be a better show than Secret Machines (who also put on a good show) -- There was really a lot to their songs, and the way Helio Sequence arranges their songs and the over all mood they produce is really awe inspiring. This venue they were at BLOWS Imo, but they really left me standing there still. (Sweating cause of no a/c in Florida, chocking cause of no ventilation ((IN FLA!!), and looking past the shit soundsystem -- But still, one of the technically better shows I've seen, including the big ones.
I got to check them out awhile back open up for blonde redhead and I was slightly dissapointed with their set. They did come out and jam with BR for a 20 minute improv song which was fucking fantastic.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:37 PM
Quote:

Link to mp3 Here

Link doesn't work, but I'd like to tag and listen.

So if you could get around to fixing yeah.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:42 AM
I managed to find it.

I like this. It's bogstandard electro-stylee dance, but I'd be more than happy to hear it spun down the local discoteque. It's dancey enough to be classed as dance yet pretty darn radio-friendly...so I'd say it ticks all the right boxes. Hynde's vocals are suitably sexy and aloof, tres Eurotrash. The squeaky, bleepy instrumental parts are fab.

Um, not much more to say really...thumbs up!

Choose one you haven't heard...

Maximo Park - Apply Some Pressure OR Graffiti
Kid Carpet - Nelson Street Space Invaders OR Carrier Bag OR Jump
Art Brut - Emily Kane
Old 08-05-2005, 12:16 PM
Tag
Old 08-05-2005, 04:04 PM
Art Brut - Emily Kane

I picked up the first couple of singles Art Brut tossed off. Very good they were too...fully of angular hooks and simplistic but insanely catchy lyrics. I didn't pick up the single of Emily Kane as it didn't strike me as the sort of song that would have any lasting impact on me. I'm still not sure that it will but having listened to it again for the purpose of writing these words I can at least profess that it contains at least a smidgen of genius...and that's more than about 99% of the offensive cack that makes it's way onto the shelves at HMV and Virgin these days. It's a good song. Just not as good as the self lacerating masterpiece that is Rusted Guns Of Milan.

Next up...

Band - Sons And Daughters

Song - Taste The Last Girl
Old 08-05-2005, 04:20 PM
TAG
Old 08-05-2005, 04:26 PM
I did you one better, Psychocandy. I watched the video for "Taste the Last Girl." The video was cute (as is the female vocalist), but this isn't my type of muzak. I've noticed that I hate most "indie rock" or whatever you want to call it. The song's percussive quality appealed to me, but beyond that, I was left unfazed. There was nothing interesting about it at all. Sorry.

Jerry Cantrell ~ "Hurts Don't It"

It's an instrumental. If you can't find it, try "Siddhartha" instead.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:02 AM
Tag
Old 08-13-2005, 02:35 PM
BUMP

You can run, Psychocandy, but you can't hide.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:46 PM
Pulling a Winona on this tag
Old 08-15-2005, 11:04 AM
Sorry about that. My ISP cut me off for a few days due to my not having paid my bills for about four months.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:00 PM
count, I can't find this anywhere. Wanna upload it on uploadshack or something?
Old 08-15-2005, 03:31 PM
I'm not able to. I'll change it to something easier to find.

Porcupine Tree ~ "Arriving Somewhere But Not Here"

At least I hope it's easier to find.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:56 PM
I've got it. Let me watch the new episode of Deadwood and i'll throw a review together and we'll be cooking with gas.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:56 PM
oh.....i already got it too but oh well, i stole your tag anyways psycho

either way count, 12 minutes?!? My god, what is with me and attracting long songs lately? I think it's me deciding to check out Sigur Ros

Last edited by someguy; 08-15-2005 at 04:59 PM..
Old 08-16-2005, 12:28 PM
Jerry Cantrell - Hurts Don't It

This sounds like it should have been soundtracking a late eighties/early nineties episode of Glasgow based cop thriller Taggart. Don't mistake this comment for praise. It's not. Because this is unremittingly bad. It just goes nowhere all the time displaying a complete lack of anything resembling inspiration. I love the guitar as an instrument but in hands as uninspired as those of Jerry Cantrell it becomes an instrument of torture instead of pleasure.

Next up...

Artist - Robert Plant

Song - All The Kings Horses

Last edited by Psychocandy; 08-16-2005 at 12:40 PM..
Old 08-16-2005, 01:14 PM
tag
Old 08-16-2005, 01:24 PM
Tag
Old 08-16-2005, 01:27 PM
This is so convenient, I was making a CD for a family member of mine and one of the songs they wanted was this. I haven't actually listened to it though, so now I can see what my relative was raving on about.

All The King's Horses

It's a good song, but not exactly something I would prefer, if you understand what that means. The song kind of borders on really cheesy alternative music at times, but for the most part it's actually a good track. I have no problems with it really, it's a strong track but not my 'cup of tea'

My pick:

Seven Swans by Sufjan Stevens

It's always fun to hear the rapture described with a banjo
Old 08-16-2005, 01:29 PM
That'll be TAG
Old 08-16-2005, 02:21 PM
Sufjan Stevens - Seven Swans

I have a Sufjan Stevens album and rank it alongside the many masterpieces thrown out by Will Oldham in his many guises. He ranks alongside recent discoveries such as Iron & Wine and Devendra Banhart in his ability to make simplicity a strength rather than a weakness. This is a song of two halfs the first being a gentle banjo led song full of unease. That unease explodes in the last two minutes of the song as it achieves a magnificent crescendo courtesy of crashing pianos and the "He is the Lord" chorus. This is such a good song. I just listened to it five times back to back and these words do not come close to doing it justice. I really need to get a hold of the Seven Swans album.

Next up...

Band - Tindersticks

Song - Travelling Light
Old 08-16-2005, 02:55 PM
I'll let someone else get this tag, but I wanted to know Psycho if you have heard the song before or was this your first time

By the way you need to get Seven Swans as soon as possible.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:09 PM
Quote:
I'll let someone else get this tag, but I wanted to know Psycho if you have heard the song before or was this your first time

By the way you need to get Seven Swans as soon as possible.
1. Yes

2. Yes