Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Music
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2005, 12:11 AM
TAG, the song is downloading...review soon....
Old 08-18-2005, 12:58 AM
Arist: Tindersticks
Song: Travelling Light

If I said this was my kind of music, I'm afraid that I'd be lying my face off. Honestly, I like the slow kinda foreboding mood, and the lead singer (the male) as a kinda haunting voice but I don't fully really like what hes doing with it in this song. For some reason I feel like his singing and the instruments behind him aren't matching up...The womans voice is a nice touch on the song, but overall I'm not 100% digging it. I appreciate the interesting reccomendation, but the song just really isn't my cup of tea.

Next up!:

SONG: "Heaven Runs On Oil"
ARTIST: Nightmare of You

Link to song: http://s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3...I2OG5EEIPFUPPI
Old 08-18-2005, 12:34 PM
Old 08-18-2005, 03:22 PM
Heaven Runs On Oil

A decent first half, a horrible second half. Even though Nightmare of You is a really bad band name, the song was going along surprisingly well. I really liked the beginning with the catchy hook and the accordion solo. Then it just goes downhill from there. The song becomes like something radio stations would put on for filler, just very bad. So it's an average song I guess.

I'm thinking of my next song, but I want to make sure someone who tags it hasn't heard the song before so I am thinking.....

One Evening by Feist

EDIT: Here is a link to the mp3
Old 08-18-2005, 03:47 PM
Old 08-18-2005, 04:12 PM
Feist - Let It Die

This reminds me a little of Morcheeba in that its totally inoffensive providing you don't find inoffensiveness offensive in and of itself. Unfortunately I can't stand music that's happy to remain so resolutely middle of the road (although I will admit that I have a few fatal flaws in this regard that would allow pretty much anyone to shoot great big ragged holes through my resolve). Ok...the song ain't bad. But it sure as hell wouldn't make me stop in my tracks in a shop and head towards the counter to enquire what band is responsible for the quite angelic sounds pouring out of the speakers (i've done this many times). Neither does it plumb the depths of badness that's required to warrant a vicious and wordy pummelling (now if it was something by that talentless sack of shit James Blunt then the gloves would be well and truly off).

Next up...

Band - Sugar

Song - JC Auto

Check it HERE!!!
Old 08-18-2005, 05:49 PM
Old 08-18-2005, 06:14 PM
The yousendit/putfile crazy is going!
Old 08-18-2005, 06:21 PM
Since I don't have any internet at home these file uploading web sites have given me a window as to how to get back into this game (Thanks someguy and mychemicalromance for posting those in the other thread!)

God I've missed that feeling. The feeling where you take someones song choice and discover it for the first time. I'm fired up and ready to jump back into this thread now that I have a way in.

Psychocandy... I loved the song. The flow of the song reminded me of Dinosaur Jr. yet they sound completely different from them. I don't know if that makes sense but thats the first thing I thought as I kicked this song into gear. This song oozes with the spirit of rock and roll. It's got that sort of manic energy that just keeps you listening at every turn and bend of the song and it's made me really want to check out more stuff by Sugar. Thanks pyschocandy!

King kong ~ Tom Waits

Last edited by bowieee; 08-18-2005 at 07:00 PM..
Old 08-18-2005, 06:54 PM
Old 08-18-2005, 06:57 PM
ARTIST: Tom Waits
SONG: King Kong

Wow. An assault on my ears unlike anything I've heard recently, besides the really damn interesting HORSE the Band. The song has no flow, I don't like the way the singer and the backing vocals are going together and the instruments honestly are just annoying me a whole lot. :-/

New song!

ARTIST: Boys Night Out
SONG: Relapsing

Link to song: http://media.putfile.com/07-boys_night_out-relapsing
Old 08-19-2005, 12:28 PM
Old 08-19-2005, 01:29 PM
Boys Night Out - Relapsing

Not really my cup of warm piss but I can see the appeal (if I screw my eyes up a bit and stuff some cotton wool in my ears). There's not a lot I can honestly say about it. It's a bit generic and lacks the pop punch of other bands of a similar ilk like Funeral For A Friend (i'm not a fan but I can see the appeal without deadening my senses). Hmm...i'm listening for the third time as I type this and it's honestly not taking hold. That's pretty much it for me. If a song shows no sign of revealing hidden depths after three listens then I jetison it from my consciousness and feel no remorse for doing so.

Next up...

Band - The Jesus & Mary Chain

Song - Easylife, Easylove

A great b-side from the best band ever to emerge from darkest East Kilbride.

Get it HERE!!!

Last edited by Psychocandy; 08-19-2005 at 01:48 PM..
Old 08-19-2005, 11:45 PM
toe tag
Old 08-20-2005, 12:40 AM
Easylife, Easylove

I don't share the same love as you for the Chain, but I do think they are a good band. Just not one of the best. This track is pretty much like the title. Easy. It's easy to listen to and easy to like. Even though it reminds me of that song in the Coca Cola commercial where those people all held hands to form the peace sign at times, I still enjoyed it. Very fun, very easy, very cool

My pick..

Dead Womb by Death From Above 1979

I decided to go with this one since it's on their Heads Up! EP which some people haven't listened to

Listen to it by clicking on this highlighted text. Click any word you want, it'll link you except these words.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:41 AM
TAG, because trashing DFA 1979 is all too easy sometimes.
Old 08-20-2005, 03:35 PM
ARTIST: Death From Above 1979
SONG: Dead Womb

DFA 1979 has never really appealed to me. All the indie kids rave about them so I tried to stay as far away from them as I could for a long time. This song has a weird ass intro and then the music comes blasting in way too loud so immediately I didn't like this song all that much. I hate the whole drum and bass oh we only use two instruments so lets make this shit as loud and as brash as possible routine because I think it sounds like shit. DFA is massively overrated they really aren't anything special. There's no real flow to this song at all. Whew thank god it's over.

Next song!

SONG: Cutsman

Link to song: http://media.putfile.com/02-Cutsman
Old 08-20-2005, 04:53 PM
Old 08-20-2005, 05:51 PM
Horse The Band - Cutsman

A strange fusion of hardcore rock and cheesy synth sounds that doesn't quite gel but nonetheless contains some not totally unappealing moments where it kinda works. I've only listened to this a couple of times and while it won't have me pillaging the internet for more songs by this band it also won't have me cursing the fact that I ever heard of them. I can't say why I didn't take to it more than I did. It's not the screaming vocals nor the cheesy synths nor any other aspect of the song that put me off because these are all things I find appealing in other bands. I guess i'm gonna have to put it down to that indefinable x-factor that doesn't seem to be present here.

Next up...

Band - The National

Song - All The Wine

Check it HERE!!!
Old 08-20-2005, 06:43 PM
Old 08-20-2005, 07:06 PM

I love the fact that we see eye to eye with appreciation for bands with lush background music and bassy voice. Ever since you've reccomended this band months ago I've wanted the cd but haven't been able to find it anywhere. I think I'm going to break down and get the cd from amazon. this song was really beautiful. It had that tindersticks type vibe going on with it and I'm a sucker for that sort of mellow dreamy structure! Thanks!

This is a song from the Lou Reed Animal Serenade live cd it's got Antony from Antony and the johnsons singing Candy says with lou on back up guitar. When I saw Reed on tour he stated his favorite part of every night was listening to Antony sing this song. I can see why...

Old 08-20-2005, 07:12 PM
Old 08-20-2005, 07:45 PM
Lou Reed & Antony (of And The Johnsons fame) - Candy Says

I've long been a fan of Lou Reed and it was actually through becoming a fan of his solo work that I eventually found my way to The Velvet Underground. Candy Says is one of my favorite VU songs and this version is the aural equivalent of having the sweetest honey poured on your tongue. The vocals are breathtaking and the understated musical accompaniement courtesy of Mr. Reed is just perfect. I had the chance of seeing Antony & The Johnsons in Glasgow later this year but as per usual I couldn't find anyone interested enough to actually go with me. I really need to find some new friends (yeah...woe is fucking me).

Next up...

Band - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

Song - The Mercy Seat (Acoustic Version)

Get it HERE!!!
Old 08-20-2005, 08:03 PM
i'll do a tag on this one
Old 08-20-2005, 09:27 PM
The Mercy Seat

To be honest, I haven't heard anything by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, so this is my first song I've heard by them. I did like the song. The beginning was a little iffy, that whole hind part being repeated over and over was annoying. Luckily it picks up afterwards, and gets a lot better. I am really liking that part in the song when he goes 'an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.' The songwriting is good on this one too. So overall a great pick Mr. Candy.

My pick will be...

Fast Cars by Aesop Rock

haha, my picks went from religious folk to rock to rap

oh yeah, if you've heard this song before don't tag it(unless everyone has heard it, then go right ahead). It's better to give it to someone who wants to try out something new.

Get it Here
Old 08-20-2005, 09:55 PM
TAG, I must say, my internet uploading ideas have really got this thread up to speed and I'm very happier cause now its easier for me to participate as well
Old 08-20-2005, 10:21 PM
SONG: Fast Cars
ARTIST: Aesop Rock

Not much to say about this song. His flow is on and off for me, I personally prefer really rugged flows, like 50 Cent on Get Rich or Die Tryin' back when he was good. He flowed in this interesting way of not too fast but really brutal in voice and lyric. This is kinda a more lazy approach and sometimes it works, Kanye West and Black Star come to mind, but the song never really got to me because nothing necessarily "stuck out". It's not a bad song by any means, but I wouldn't put it at the head of my rap collection in my songs library.

Next song!

SONG: The Artist in the Ambulance
ARTIST: Thrice

Link to song: http://s44.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0...N25M5RF56QRDAD
Old 08-21-2005, 12:44 PM
Old 08-22-2005, 06:18 AM
Old 08-22-2005, 06:33 AM
Thrice,The Artist in the Ambulance

i quite liked this,at the start i thought it was going to be another run of the mill green day,foo fighters type sounding track but it was'nt.
it was a decent rock track musicaly its very good great guitars,drums that must have left the guy playing them with severely sore arms after playing this a few times,because he really does go for it all the way through the song.
lyricaly its ok too the singer carries it all of quite well,i could imagine this being a good live track.

next up i hope this works

razorlight-rock and roll lies

Old 08-22-2005, 01:46 PM
Old 08-22-2005, 02:43 PM
Razorlight-Rock and Roll Lies

This song is very radio friendly, but that's not a bad thing at all. There is a good kind of radio friendly(see Straight Ahead)and a bad kind(see Fall Out Boy). This falls into the good kind. It's very fun, the riffs are simple yet catchy, it works really well. So a very good pick mr. calf.

my pick....

That's How I Knew This Story Would Break My Heart by Aimee Mann
Old 08-22-2005, 03:05 PM
Old 08-22-2005, 04:00 PM
Aimee Mann - That's How I Knew This Song Would Break My Heart

I love simple songs sung straight from the heart. But only when it sounds like the singer means it. There's too much counterfeit emotion in music these days. If you can touch the heart of an audience with a song there's big bucks to be made. Give me something real every time. Fortunately more and more often I find myself capable of seeing through the masquerade and find that the vulnerability on display is no more than a shell hiding a hollow core where a real bleeding heart should be. A good example of this is that pesky pest James Blunt who, when last I checked, was to be found riding the top spot on the UK chart for the fifth week running (although it feels more like five months). This song though is gorgeous. It's the antithesis of the soulless pap that diseaslike riddles both the charts and daytime radio these days. A beautiful voice against a lovely piano led backing with some subtle orchestration makes for something true. Wonderful.

Next up...

Artist - Malcolm Middleton

Song - Monday Night Nothing

Check it out HERE!!!
Old 08-23-2005, 09:39 AM
Old 08-23-2005, 10:15 AM
malcolm middleton-monday night nothing

when the singer's voice kicked in i got visions of a swashbuckling proclaimer kind of number,but i could not have been more wrong,its a really good almost folk like tune,the singer is singing it in an almost narrative talking style,but even at that pace it has quite an upbeat bouncy kind of way about it.
its a really intimate song you could imagine it being sung in the cornor of a bar just one guy sitting there with his guitar,because it comes accross as the kind of song he would have come up with after a bad day and a few drinks and would want to share it with the rest of the people in the bar.
a very decent song and not one i would have come accross without this thread cheers psycho.

next up

hard fi-better do better
Old 08-23-2005, 12:49 PM

You should check out Malcolm Middleton's album. It's chock full of quality tunes. Possibly going to be my favorite album of this year and that's against some stiff competition past and more to no doubt come.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:17 PM
Hard-Fi - Better Do Better

The Specials. That's the first though. Within seconds of the song starting that's the first thought that flows through my mind. I expected that though. I read NME and as a result am quite aware of the bands that Hard-Fi claim as major influences. I've never been a big fan of The Specials (not for any particular reason...just because i've never really investigated). This is good though. Not amazing. But very good. Good attitude and a proper tune. After a couple of listens though i'm not hearing any real hooks though. Perhaps i'd need to hear it in the context of the album for it to make complete sense. I'll do that. Listen to the album. It's good enough to make me want to do that at least.

Next up...

Band - The Handsome Family

Song - The Song Of A Hundred Toads

No relations to McCartney's The Frog Chorus...btw.

Here it NOW!!!

Last edited by Psychocandy; 08-23-2005 at 02:29 PM..
Old 08-23-2005, 03:16 PM
Old 08-23-2005, 03:18 PM
Awww peaches! I'll have to DE-TAG, it says the playlist format is not recognised dagnammit!