Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Music
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2005, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BadCoverVersion
Awww peaches! I'll have to DE-TAG, it says the playlist format is not recognised dagnammit!

Hang on. I'll try something else.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:53 PM
You can download the MP3 HERE!!!
Old 08-23-2005, 04:23 PM
I'm not tagging but I am saying thank you Psychocandy for introducing me to the Handsome Family awhile back. I've become a huge fan recently and have most of their stuff now and I probably wouldn't have ever gave them a second glance if it wasn't for you.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bowieee
I'm not tagging but I am saying thank you Psychocandy for introducing me to the Handsome Family awhile back. I've become a huge fan recently and have most of their stuff now and I probably wouldn't have ever gave them a second glance if it wasn't for you.
You're welcome. They are an amazing band. I just wish I had pulled out all the stops to see them live last time they played over here. I suck at motivating myself.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:31 PM
ya mind if i steal the tag and review it all at once?

The Song of a Hundred Toads

ahaha, I did not expect this. I'll say this is country music, but it's not bad country music. It really reminds me of the older country music, which is a compliment since older country is the kind of country music I like. For some reason this doesn't work for me though. Country is a weird genre for me anyways, it's very hit and miss. This was a miss, but I don't hate the song. It's just not very good. So, that's that

Ok, for my pick I don't know much about how you Brit folks are getting this. I'm assuming that you're probably being bombarded with this song since it's a new single and from an article I read it'll be pushed out there. Either way I like this artist (and think she's quite the good looking one too) and hope I'm wrong in my thoughts.

Ooh La La by Goldfrapp

Don't click, it's an mp3!!!
Old 08-24-2005, 04:23 AM
Tag
Old 08-24-2005, 05:33 AM
Goldfrapp - Ooh La La

Another sexy slice of disco pop from one of the best bands currently working in that usually disposable genre. Goldfrapp are not disposable. With Alison Goldfrapp they have someone with a wonderful, maleable voice who oozes more sex appeal than a dozen Kylies. This is another magnificent song. The music has a kind of electro T-Rex boogie for a hook and fuck me if it doesn't make me want to stop reviewing right now and dance around my living room like an epileptic in a room full of strobes. I'll have to be checking out the album. NOW!!!

Next up...

Artist - Bruce Springsteen

Song - Nebraska

Get it HERE!!!
Old 08-24-2005, 06:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Psychocandy
Goldfrapp - Ooh La La
The music has a kind of electro T-Rex boogie for a hook and fuck me if it doesn't make me want to stop reviewing right now and dance around my living room like an epileptic in a room full of strobes. I'll have to be checking out the album. NOW!!!
I'm not going to tag, just thought I'd mention that, yes, you should check out the new Goldfrapp album if you like Ooh La La, the album is magnificent, see my review in the album reviews thread
Old 08-24-2005, 12:03 PM
Quote:

Next up...

Artist - Bruce Springsteen

Song - Nebraska

Get it HERE!!!
I'm not tagging since I know the song well... Psychocandy did you hear the tribute album to nebraska? I just discovered it a few days ago and haven't had the chance to pick it up yet but it looks like it's going to be a whopper of a tribute.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bowieee
I'm not tagging since I know the song well... Psychocandy did you hear the tribute album to nebraska? I just discovered it a few days ago and haven't had the chance to pick it up yet but it looks like it's going to be a whopper of a tribute.
No...but it sounds interesting. I think i'll away and have a wee look for it.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:55 PM
Psychocandy, you want me to YSI(YouSendIt) Goldfrapp's album for ya?
Old 08-24-2005, 02:19 PM
nevermind...

Last edited by notchreturns; 08-24-2005 at 02:49 PM..
Old 08-25-2005, 02:03 PM
Well if noone else is tagging this classic....

Tag
Old 08-25-2005, 02:29 PM
The boss has a way of making me feel all sentimental even when his subject matter is extremely dark. Nebraska is a serious yet beautiful song that actually makes you feel sympathetic for it's subject even though he's not so nice a guy . This live version I always thought was a bit better than the original album version just because it feels more intimate. The song is one of Springsteens best and it's a fucking shame that everyone thinks of the Born in the USA bruce as opposed to the early Springsteen which puts puts most song writers to shame.

I saw this guy last night and he's flat out amazing live so in tribute to making my night last night here's one of his classics:

Alejandro Escovedo: Put You Down

http://media.putfile.com/Track0136
Old 08-25-2005, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by notchreturns
nevermind...
Seriously...how difficult is it to tag a song, click on a link, then take five minutes to throw down a few words before suggesting another song for the next dude to tag? Sheesh.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:42 PM
Tag

I'll show Notchreturns(much later) how it's done.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:53 PM
Alejandro Escoveda - Put You Down

No Depression magazine (the alt-country scene's foremost champion) voted this dude the artist of the nineties. And I didn't listen (or rather I did...then promptly forgot as life threw yet another half dozen problems in my path). Now...with this one song...I get the feeling that i'm on the cusp of discovering yet another hitherto untapped talent into the back catalogue of whom i'm planning to dive with as much fervour as I can muster. This is a magnificent song. Really...thanks...I seldom KNOW upon hearing just on song that i'm DEFINITELY...going to dig everything I can lay my hands on by any artist or band. This time I KNOW!!!

Next up...

Band - Jack

Song - Lolita Elle

Get it HERE!!!
Old 08-25-2005, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by someguy
Psychocandy, you want me to YSI(YouSendIt) Goldfrapp's album for ya?
Cheers but I think i'll be able to put my hands on it with the minimum of fuss. Really...thanks though.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Alejandro Escoveda - Put You Down

No Depression magazine (the alt-country scene's foremost champion) voted this dude the artist of the nineties. And I didn't listen (or rather I did...then promptly forgot as life threw yet another half dozen problems in my path). Now...with this one song...I get the feeling that i'm on the cusp of discovering yet another hitherto untapped talent into the back catalogue of whom i'm planning to dive with as much fervour as I can muster. This is a magnificent song. Really...thanks...I seldom KNOW upon hearing just on song that i'm DEFINITELY...going to dig everything I can lay my hands on by any artist or band. This time I KNOW!!!

Next up...

Band - Jack

Song - Lolita Elle

Get it HERE!!!
Yeah Psychocandy he's got a mega rich back catalogue ripe for the picking and it's all good stuff. I think he's right up your alley.

Oh and tag!

Last edited by bowieee; 08-25-2005 at 06:20 PM..
Old 08-25-2005, 06:40 PM
I liked this song alot. it's a pretty little ditty perfect for driving down the higway at dusk. Can I get an album title by them? I did a search over at amazon and the word Jack got a million results. It's a pretty song and I'm interested in hearing more from the band. The lead singers voice has this breezy air to it that gives the song a really nice flow.

While we are exploring the Alternative country/Americana field I thought I would post this little ditty I just rediscovered on the Rough Guide to Americana compilation.
Split Lip Rayfield: Kiss of Death

http://media.putfile.com/Track15
Old 08-25-2005, 09:06 PM
Quote:
Seriously...how difficult is it to tag a song, click on a link, then take five minutes to throw down a few words before suggesting another song for the next dude to tag? Sheesh.
Quite when you have 56k and a job to go to.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by notchreturns
Quite when you have 56k and a job to go to.
Heh...I was only winding you up. I've been prone to the odd lapse in response time myself where this thread is concerned.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:00 PM
Tag
Old 08-26-2005, 04:25 PM
Split Lip Rayfield: Kiss of Death

Wow, that was a good country alterntive song. It had some great singing and the bass type thing was very plucky. It untimely kicks any Big and Rich's songs in the balls because it's more entertianing than those songs.

Gorillaz - Dare

Last edited by thedudeman69; 08-26-2005 at 04:35 PM..
Old 08-26-2005, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Heh...I was only winding you up. I've been prone to the odd lapse in response time myself where this thread is concerned.
I believe you held the record for with 2 weeks or something like that......
Old 08-26-2005, 07:36 PM
tag
Old 08-26-2005, 10:47 PM
Dare

I thought Demon Days was a mediocre album, but there were two tracks that I really liked. One of them was Feel Good Inc. The other was this track. The track flows together really well, the beat is just great and the singing, which is repetitive, doesn't get on my nerves. This is a really good track.

Ok, my pick now is another one of those rare rap songs I like

Heavenly Divine by Jedi Mind Tricks

ps If you are a religious person DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS

here ya go
Old 08-27-2005, 05:18 AM
Tag
Old 08-27-2005, 11:03 AM
Jedi Mind Tricks - Heavenly Divine

Quite liked this. I'm anything but an expert where rap music is concerned having only ever really sampled perhaps half a dozen or so artists in that genre to any great extent. This is pretty good though. I liked the flute (?) sample that played throughout in the background. The vocal delivery was rough (not in a bad way) and worked well with the beats and the aforementioned sample to create an above average rap track that i'll be playing some more. Nice stuff.

Next up...

Band - Clor

Song - Dangerzone

Get it HERE!!!
Old 08-27-2005, 03:05 PM
oops
Old 08-27-2005, 07:43 PM
Tag
Old 08-27-2005, 07:59 PM
Woah.

I feel like I was just transported to the birth of new wave. This was a decent song but not to the point where I could listen to it over and over again. It's creative and has alot going on with it but it just didn't gel with me.

Jon langford and Sally Tims: Broken Bottle

http://media.putfile.com/Track0424

Last edited by bowieee; 08-27-2005 at 08:02 PM..
Old 08-27-2005, 08:11 PM
Tag
Old 08-27-2005, 08:33 PM
Jon langford and Sally Tims - Broken Bottle

Absolutely lovely. I like the way the two singers don't pay much attention to being totally in sync with one another. It gives it a ramshackle charm. I also love the fact that it's so musically minimalist. It pushes the voices and the lyrics to the fore which is exactly where they belong in a song of this nature. Never heard of either Jon Langford or Sally Tims before. I'll be sure to investigate further. Cheers.

Next up...

Band - Sons And Daughters

Song - Royally Used

Elijah Wood's new favorite band dontcha know. And i've got tickets to see them in November. Roll on November.

Check it out HERE!!!
Old 08-28-2005, 01:46 AM
Tag

Royally Used
Not my favourite from The Repulsion Box (one of the best albums of 2005 thus far) but still an excellent record. Pretty typical of the band with its heavily accented singing and slightly menacing feel. I'll still take Taste The Last Girl myself though

Change of pace next

Next up:
Artist: Maria Taylor
Track: The Song Beneath The Song
Link: http://www.saddle-creek.com/bands/mariataylor/ (Click downloads for mp3 and real audio versions to dl)

Sorry not sure how to use things like YSI, if someone could help out with that I'd certainly be grateful

Last edited by SAI; 08-28-2005 at 02:03 AM..
Old 08-28-2005, 04:35 PM
Tag
Old 08-28-2005, 05:07 PM
Maria Taylor - Song Beneath The Song

I'm awfully fond of female singer/songwriters. Maria Taylor sounds, from this song, like she has talent to spare. This is a great example of music for the broken hearted. I particuarly enjoyed the way the song started off pretty conventional, almost skeletal in it's sparseness, then gradually introduced layers of atmospherics as the track progressed. I'll be checking out more of Ms. Taylor with due haste. Cheers.

Next up...

Band - The National

Song - Mr. November

Get it HERE!!!
Old 08-28-2005, 06:26 PM
tag
Old 08-28-2005, 06:42 PM
God I have to get an album by this band. Everything I hear is beautiful by them. It just has that whole blanket of sound thing going for it that makes me want to just lay in bed and close my eyes soaking in the music. The tempo changes of this song really work for it. It drifts and flows and then comes raining down hard only to ease up again. My kind of song.

My favorite hip hop song in the world:

Aesop Rock ~ Daylight

http://media.putfile.com/Track0179
Old 08-29-2005, 02:24 AM
Quote:
Maria Taylor - Song Beneath The Song

I'm awfully fond of female singer/songwriters. Maria Taylor sounds, from this song, like she has talent to spare. This is a great example of music for the broken hearted. I particuarly enjoyed the way the song started off pretty conventional, almost skeletal in it's sparseness, then gradually introduced layers of atmospherics as the track progressed. I'll be checking out more of Ms. Taylor with due haste. Cheers.

Next up...

Band - The National

Song - Mr. November

Get it HERE!!!
Glad you liked. The album's called 11:11 and it's excellent, I'd particularly recommend a track called One for the Shareholder.
I know Bowiee tagged it but I checked out The National as well. There's stuff I like there, lyrically it's excellent but I'm not sure I really like the guy's vioce. Interesting enough though.