Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Music
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2005, 11:29 AM
May as well start the evening with a TAG!!!
Old 08-29-2005, 04:11 PM
Aesop Rock - Daylight

Man...I loved this. Rap (like any other genre) is about 90% shite to 5% bearable to 4% above average to 1% genius. That's a fact. I think this belongs firmly in the 1%. It's not a typical rap track. Sure there are beats and words rapped over the top but there's an x-factor here that most rap artists can go through their entire careet without stumbling across. I really loved the synth track on this. For some reason it reminded me of some of the more atmospheric european horror movie soundtracks that i've heard (am I wrong?). I'll be checking out more Aesop Rock...for sure.

Next up...

Band - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

Song - Shuffle Your Feet

A band that I had pretty much written off. I made a mistake. New album is one of the biggest musical surprises of the year thus far.

Check out the opening track from new album Howl HERE
Old 08-29-2005, 05:54 PM
Tag, been meaning to try more of Howl. I'll pop a review up tomorrow though, tired.

Shuffle Your Feet
Well impressed. I love the single Ain't No Easy Way as well and it's good to hear that the whole of Howl has that kind of rootsy feel to it.
I quite liked BRMC's first two albums, derivative though they were, but this is easily the most interesting music I've heard from them. Another album for the very very long list of cds to buy.

Next Up
Artist: The Bellrays
Song: Revolution Get Down

Link:http://www.thebellrays.com/discography.html
(Scroll down to an album called The Red White and Black and you can download the track)

Last edited by SAI; 08-30-2005 at 02:30 AM..
Old 08-30-2005, 03:29 PM
El Tag-o
Old 08-30-2005, 03:46 PM
Sweet, Sweet 70's style Rock n roll. I really like the sound of this one. It has rock chops with a blues andn soul backbone. The guitar jamming was great and you can tell that the band would be a fun live set. I really liked this song quite a bit and I think I'm going to listen to a few more songs on that web page to dip in a little more. Thanks

A little political statement from The Perceptionists:

http://media.putfile.com/Track0480
Old 09-02-2005, 09:56 AM
Tag
Old 09-02-2005, 11:41 AM
The Perceptionists: A rather simplistic point, that has been made better before in many other forms, restated to a not very interesting backing track.
At least it's saying more than most rap is bothering to right now but, overall, though it's technically fine, this never grabbed me at all.

Next Up (because I'm seeing them live on Thursday)
Artist: The Duke Spirit
Track: Howling Self
Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/collective/A2107621 (at the side of the page are links to listen to both this track and Red Weather)
Old 09-04-2005, 01:14 PM
i'm taggin it large.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:39 PM
The Duke Spirit-: Howling Self

i really liked this it was like an amalgamation of sleeper,transvision vamp and souxie and the banshees,the music was really raw and throbbing and the singer oozes a sexual quality,singing with a slight accent almost in talking tones sometimes,its quite an angry song and she really does put that across in the tone of her voice.this is a definate stayer on my play list for a while.
cheers sai.

next up
the very chubby and very cheerful

the magic numbers-mornings eleven

listen here you
Old 09-05-2005, 11:33 AM
Tag
Old 09-05-2005, 02:16 PM
The Magic Numbers - Mornings Eleven

The Magic Numbers are a cracking band. I've seen them play live at several festivals over the summer courtesy of the vast quanties of live footage served up on UK Satellite TV. On the surface most of their songs sound janglesome and cheery but like a musical scratch and sniff all you have to do is lightly peel away the bright and breezy surface melodies and pay close attention to the lyrics beneath to discover that most of the songs reek of sadness. It's wonderfully subversive. Also impressive are the harmonies on this song and present throughout the album from whence it comes. Utterly marvelous. A band with a bright future that threatens to outshine the sun.

Next up...

Artist - Lazycame aka William Reid

Song - God

This is a tough one as the song itself is a bit of a difficult one to like. I do, however, think that there's something unique about it. I wouldn't call it an easy listen but there's a fragile honesty, almost beauty, about it. It's like he's stripped himself bare of everything and the only thing he has left to cling to is his guitar and his voice but even those are threatening to desert him. It actually made more sense played live. Fuck...i've reviewed my own song. Feel free to disagree as i'm certain about 99% of sane people would on this particular occasion. Fortunately I know that about 99% of my fellow schmoes fall shy of being 100% sane...so there's a chance..

Get it HERE!!!

You have all been warned!!!
Old 09-05-2005, 03:17 PM
Tag
Old 09-05-2005, 03:24 PM
I actually rather liked it. It's not something I would listen to all the time, and it sounded a bit odd at first, but once I got used to it I started enjoying it more. I see what you mean with your beauty comment, there is almost a strange kind of beauty in the song. It was very different and unique, which is something I like to hear in music.

And speaking of unique, next up:

Gentle Giant - Knots
Old 09-05-2005, 03:38 PM
Tag
Old 09-05-2005, 04:10 PM
Gentle Giants - Knots

Well that was unusual. I honestly don't know what to write. Let me see. It was sporadically interesting but at times it borders on sheer torture. I can't even compare it to anyone else as it's like nothing i've heard before. That alone is enough to ensure that it wasn't a complete waste of my time. Originality is rarer than movies with shaved monkeys. Will I listen to it again? Who knows? Am I sorry I ever heard it? Um...erm...no. Thanks. I think.

Next up...

Band - Arab Strap

Song - Cherubs

Another morose masterpiece from the vasty underappreciated Arab Strap. Arguably the best band in Scotland.

Get it FUCKING HERE!!!
Old 09-05-2005, 07:19 PM
ooh. Tag, been wanting to hear this band, review and next track tomorrow
Old 09-06-2005, 03:47 AM
Arab Strap - Cherubs
Hmmmm. It's interesting but I'm really not sure about this one. The heratbeat like drum machine starts out nicely but becomes wearing after a time. The guitar line is excellent though. I understand that a couple of Arab Strap are now in Sons and Daughters and this hasn't grabbed me as quickly as S and D did, it lacks the fire of their stuff. To be clear, I don't hate it, I think there's something there, it's just not an immediate grabber.

Artist: The Secret Machines
Track: Sad and Lonely
Link: http://www.thesecretmachines.com/
When you enter the main site the track should play automatically.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:28 AM
Tag
Old 09-06-2005, 03:38 PM
The Secret Machines - Sad & Lonely

This is a monster of a song in every way. A huge sound. Big booming drums and guitars that sound like they could strip paint off a wall at a hundred yards. This is rock as rock should be played. Rock with ambition and balls in equal measure. Absolutely magnificent. Nuff said.

Next up...

Band - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

Song - Supernaturally

An amazing song. Amazing!!!

Get it HERE!!!
Old 09-06-2005, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Psychocandy
The Secret Machines - Sad & Lonely

This is a monster of a song in every way. A huge sound. Big booming drums and guitars that sound like they could strip paint off a wall at a hundred yards. This is rock as rock should be played. Rock with ambition and balls in equal measure.
Sounds like they've got the ghost of John Bonham on drums doesn't it?
Old 09-06-2005, 05:05 PM
I'm not tagging since I know the song inside and out but I did want to give it a plug and say it's well worth listening too.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:09 PM
No takers? How about some new blood getting involved?
Old 09-08-2005, 05:28 PM
TAG
See you in the morning with a review and a new song
Old 09-09-2005, 05:18 AM
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds: Supernaturally
I've only heard bits and bobs from Nick Cave and I've always been impressed. This isn't as dark as some of the other stuff I've heard, tonally more on a par with 'There She Goes My Beautiful World' than, say, 'Where The Wild Roses Grow' but still as interesting as ever and yet another reminder to me that I really ought to, at least, get the Best of.

Next Up
Artist: The Black Keys
Track: 10am Automatic
Link: http://www.theblackkeys.com/video.php
Old 09-10-2005, 10:33 AM
Tag
Old 09-10-2005, 02:31 PM
The Black Keys - 10AM Automatic

What a fucking song!!! Seriously...this is rock with the power to decimate all opposition. 10AM Automatic is as down and dirty as it gets. A great big slab of distortion with some supremely cool vocals weaving in and out of the sonic sludge. Goddamn!!! I love this kinda shit. I did check out some Black Keys stuff a whole buncha years ago and I do recall thinking...hey...wow!!! This song is something else though. Fucking awesome stuff. Cheers!!!

Next up...

Band - Dungen

Song? - Festival

I just discovered these guys and I honestly don't know what to say. It's remarkable stuff but i'm at a loss to make any sort of comparison with anything i've heard before (perhaps there's something of The Mars Volta about them...there's a certain cataclysmic chaos here that suggests that such a comparison wouldn't be remiss...perhaps).

Get it HERE!!!

Last edited by Psychocandy; 09-12-2005 at 03:22 PM..
Old 09-11-2005, 02:16 PM
TAG then (just you and me Psychocandy... just you and me)

or not, your link ain't working my friend

Last edited by SAI; 09-11-2005 at 02:19 PM..
Old 09-11-2005, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by SAI
TAG then (just you and me Psychocandy... just you and me)

or not, your link ain't working my friend
I'll fix it...goddamn that You Upload It site is unpredictable.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:22 PM
Bump. URL is now fixed.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:09 AM
sorry i was out all yesterday and never got to it. Again TAG
Old 09-13-2005, 04:15 AM
Dungen: Festival
Love the intro. Overall I think this'd be more fun as an instrumental, not that I mind singing in a foreign language, I'm just not sure about the voice.
Musically it's interesting and the way they bring instruments in in turn works well (they also seem to have a really solid drummer).
The outro, however, what's that about? doesn't fit the song at all for me. Bit of a mixed bag, but interesting, Cheers.

Artist: Nikka Costa
Track: Til I Get To You
Link: http://www.nikkacosta.com/ (click link in box on bottom left)

Underrated artist, this is the lead single from her second album 'can'tneverdidnothin'. As effortlessly funky as her mentor; Prince in his heyday for my money.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:38 PM
Hello... hello
echo... echo
Old 09-14-2005, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by SAI
Hello... hello
echo... echo
Tag

This thread sorely needs the involvement of some other schmoes.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:23 PM
stealing the tag
Old 09-16-2005, 09:09 PM
Til I Get To You

It's certainly a snappy track, but I see this playing on one of those alternative adult stations with Anastacia and Sheryl Crow. Does it hurt the song? Not at all. It's still catchy and, yes, funky fun throughout. So yeah, the track is certainly a keeper. It's not on the level of, say, Goldfrapp or Robyn in terms of getting pure guilty pleasure music done right but it's still a damn fun track even though the lyrics are pretty dirty at parts. This will probably be listened to a lot lately along with my other guilty pleasure of the moment, I Said Never Again (But Here We Are).

My pick now....

I Luv The Valley, OH! by Xiu Xiu

I'm sure this is probably heard by all, but if you haven't heard the track definitely tag it, even if you don't like it you can't deny the pure emotion put into the song.

Link is here
Old 09-17-2005, 04:50 PM
TAG.

Review and next track in the morning.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:17 AM
Xiu Xiu: Sorry, but that did very little for me. Starts off well and the music itself is pretty compelling but I didn't like the vocals at all (Dude can't sing) and that killed the track for me.

Next up
Band: Ladytron
Song: Destroy Everything You Touch
Link:http://videos.antville.org/topics/Ladytron/
Old 09-19-2005, 08:58 AM
***Tag***
Old 09-19-2005, 10:08 AM
Ladytron - Destroy Everything You Touch

I quite like Ladytron, and this is a catchy enough little piece of electro pop...just very average I'm afraid. Nothing really grabs me. It's very 'hummable', probably because it's overly repetetive. The video fits the mood of the song, but like everything else it's just all a bit blah and vanilla.

So, in conclusion....NOT offensive, just far from special.

Okay, something from my second favourite Sheffield crooner...

Richard Hawley - The Ocean

It's taken from his latest album "Coles Corner" which came out a fortnight ago...I really struggled to pick just one track since they are all so magical.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:10 AM
Tag