Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Music
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2005, 01:10 PM
Richard Hawley - The Ocean

Here are the facts. I was a huge Pulp fan but until now my only experience of Richard Hawley's solo output was a couple of songs I heard years ago and seeing him support REM in a tent so cavernous that it surgically removed all intimacy from a performance that was screaming out for the size of venue where the audience could see not only the white of his eyes but could detect also the colour of the irises. Hearing this though I can tell exactly how affecting a performance he would be capable of in a more intimate setting. This is a wonderful song. Gently anthemic, classic songwriting of the highest calibre. The song ebbs and flows much like the ocean of the title on a swell of orchestration that gives it a huge emotional impact. Hawley is also possessed of a quite wonderful voice that is entirely suited to the song. I really must check out some more of his solo work. I think he has three albums out now? Right? BCV? Is that an accurate figure? Are they comparable in terms of quality or does he show marked improvement as he progresses? Some info required here. C'mon.

Next up...

Artist - Frank Black

Song - Strange Goodbye

This is a country style duet from Frank Black's recent solo album recorded in Nashville with a band constructed from some of the most purely talented session musicians ever gathered together in a single studio.

Get it HERE!!!
Old 09-19-2005, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Psychocandy
Richard Hawley - The Ocean

Here are the facts. I was a huge Pulp fan but until now my only experience of Richard Hawley's solo output was a couple of songs I heard years ago and seeing him support REM in a tent so cavernous that it surgically removed all intimacy from a performance that was screaming out for the size of venue where the audience could see not only the white of his eyes but could detect also the colour of the irises. Hearing this though I can tell exactly how affecting a performance he would be capable of in a more intimate setting. This is a wonderful song. Gently anthemic, classic songwriting of the highest calibre. The song ebbs and flows much like the ocean of the title on a swell of orchestration that gives it a huge emotional impact. Hawley is also possessed of a quite wonderful voice that is entirely suited to the song. I really must check out some more of his solo work. I think he has three albums out now? Right? BCV? Is that an accurate figure? Are they comparable in terms of quality or does he show marked improvement as he progresses? Some info required here. C'mon.

Next up...

Artist - Frank Black

Song - Strange Goodbye

This is a country style duet from Frank Black's recent solo album recorded in Nashville with a band constructed from some of the most purely talented session musicians ever gathered together in a single studio.

Get it HERE!!!
***Tag***

I believe he has 3. "Late Night Final" , "Lowedges" and "Coles Corner" and they are all very beautiful and Walker-esque in content...and then there is his self titled mini debut which is another lush and melodic piece of work.

"Coles Corner" is probably his best album thus far...it just seems more mature and complete than his previous efforts...and it's so fucking grand and affecting. I advise you to check out a couple of the other tracks from the album, try "Darlin' Wait For Me", "Cole Corner" and "Hotel Room" and you should get a good idea as to wether it's your cuppa.

I say it's his best work but in all honesty I haven't listened to the other albums in quite some time...in fact, they are back at my home in Manchester and since listening to "Coles Corner" for a fortnight solid I'm really pining for them. I think absence might've made my heart grow just that little bit fonder for young Mr Hawley.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:23 PM

Frank Black - Strange Goodbye

I'm almost completely unfamiliar with Frank Black and The Pixies (fo' shame ), so I'm chuffed to bits to have tagged this little beauty. I sure do dig it's twangy country-tinged goodness. Frank has a real sound of Nick Cave here, and this song is just ideal for a Sunday morning singalong whilst grilling bacon and frying eggs. Great lyrics too!

Now, it's going to have to be Devendra next (I hope I'm not being too obvious here). I bought the single last week and I haven't stopped whistling the tune since. Unfortunately I'm skint right now and can't afford the album, but if all the songs are even a smidgen as good as this one - and from what I heard at the gig last month, they certainly are - well, then I'm in for a treat!

Devendra Banhart - I Feel Just Like A Child
Old 09-19-2005, 02:35 PM
I'm not gonna tag this song as i'm quite familiar with it and love it to bits (the first time I saw the video was a major "WHAT THE FUCK???" type moment). It comes on like Bob Dylan at his most playful with a big dose of T-Rex boogie. Great stuff from Mr. Banhart.

As for you're "almost" total Pixies/Frank Black lack of knowledge BCV. Fo shame!!! Go to your local Fopp store (if you have them down your way) and buy all of the Pixies back catalogue for 5.00 apiece. That'll be the beginning of your education. Alternatively I can send you them all in MP3 format on a shiny CDR if you supply your current address. PM me if you want 'em. Trust me...you're musical education is not complete untill you own and love the entire Pixies back catalogue.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:13 PM
Tag and review in one

This is the first Banhart song I have listened to. Is it a good song? Oh yes it is. I guess I should start listening to his albums, I've been meaning to since the popularity from last year's album. It's a fun track and the lyrics pretty much show that with lines like 'from my daddy's sperm to being put in an urn.' The video is definitely a what the fuck type Psycho, it's really just him dancing around in his underwear with a band. Either way, this has pretty much made me go off to listen to some more by him. That's an A Ok.

My pick is a song by a Mr. Sufjan Stevens. It's only performed at live shows, and is kind of the theme song to his whole vision of making an album on every state in the US.

Sufjan Stevens - The 50 States

Last edited by someguy; 09-19-2005 at 05:15 PM..
Old 09-19-2005, 05:28 PM
I'm a Sufjan fan...so TAG!!!
Old 09-22-2005, 11:55 AM
Too slow matey. Stealing the tag.

Surfjan Stevens: The 50 States
I don't think live material is usualy a great jumping off point for getting into an artist so despite being... underwhelmed by this track (while it's all very nicely done i found it dull lyrically, approaching just being a list) I'm still interested in hearing more from Stevens.

Next Up

Artist: The Kills
Track: The Good Ones
Link: http://www.thekills.tv/temp/#video

Not my favourite track from this great band but it's probably their most accessible to date. GREAT vid too, enjoy.
Old 09-24-2005, 09:34 AM
anyone... anyone?

Oh look, tumbleweed
Old 09-25-2005, 01:47 PM
Tag!

Be back soon...
Old 09-25-2005, 02:41 PM
The Good Ones- The Kills

The first time I heard this song, I didn't like it... well, I didn't not like it- I just thought it was average. It took a few listens for it to grow on me. It's a groovy little ditty, something I can look cool while dancing/lip synching to. Nice vocals, cool guitar riff. Plus that video is very fucking sexy!

My song:

By The Time It Gets Dark by Yo La Tengo

http://media.putfile.com/13-bythetimeitgetsdark (I don't know if this link will work. If not, I'll pick another song)
Old 09-25-2005, 04:24 PM
TAG and review

By The Time It Gets Dark by Yo La Tengo
Meh. Utterly innoffensive but completely unremarkable. It's fine but nothing about it strikes me as new, different or even particularly special.

Next up

Band: The Cardigans
Track: I Need Some Fine Wine and You, You Need To Be Nicer
Link: http://www.cardigans.com/?sid=archive&folder=videos

One of my favourite pop bands return with a new album and this, the best titled single of the year. YAY
Old 09-26-2005, 10:12 AM
tick tag toe
Old 09-26-2005, 10:20 AM
the cardigans-I Need Some Fine Wine and You, You Need To Be Nicer

this song is far catchier than its title would suggest,its a really good tune.
the cardigans are one of those bands that have a really distinctive sound but without sounding the same all the time,and this is another one of those songs you could tell with your eyes closed it is them ,but it still has a very fresh unique sound to it.
i like the fact i can watch the video here whilst taking the song in,it helps to get a feel about what is being sung about,its quite a bitchy song,with some great biting lyrics sung and played really well.
this is going to be a big seller,with a welcome return to the charts for the band.

next up one of my favourate songs at the moment it's,elbow-forget myself
Old 09-26-2005, 02:30 PM
Tag
Old 09-26-2005, 02:38 PM
Elbow - "Forget Myself"

This is a nice little pop song. It certainly isn't anything groundbreaking or original. The vocals go very well with the base line and drums. The song seems to drag on a little longer than it should towards the end and this is probably where it looses some of its spark. There is no denying that it is quite catchy and well constructed, but just not my cup o' tea.

Next song:

Broadcast - "Come On Let's Go"
Old 09-26-2005, 07:39 PM
Tag
Old 09-27-2005, 12:40 PM
Broadcast - Come On Lets Go

There's a glacial sixties vibe about this song. I've heard of Broadcast before but this is the first time, I think, that i've actually heard them (I could be wrong though). My first thought was that they surely must be foreign. France I thought. Turns out that they are from Birmingham. Imagine Saint Etienne with all the warmth sucked out of them and that's pretty much what Broadcast sound like (at least in this song...perhaps an album would reveal that this song is an aberration rather than a commonality). Do I like it? Yes. Quite a lot actually. Cheers.

Next up...

Band - The Strokes

Song - Juicebox

The forthcoming new Strokes single. It's not very immediate but I kinda like it (after about ten listens).

Get it HERE!!!
Old 09-27-2005, 10:00 PM
Tag
Old 09-27-2005, 10:32 PM
The Strokes - "Juicebox"

Hmmm. My first reaction was, "what the hell?" The starting bass riff is not Strokes at all. The song is very forceful and doesn't have their lazy charm. I couldn't believe they had changed so much, but by the end of the song I started enjoying it. It's definitely a radio-friendly track. The 2nd part of the chorus is what I liked most about the song and is what seems most familiar. It's great when bands take chances, I just hope this isn't how the rest of the album is going to play out.

Next Song:
Vashti Bunyan - "Rose Hip November"
Old 09-29-2005, 04:59 AM
Tag, review and next track in one post

Vashti Bunyan: Rose Hip November
Lovely. Beautifully sung (there's a bit of a Kate Bush feel both to her voice and to the music) a pretty, relaxing record that I can see myself getting a lot of play out of. Ta

I also checked out...

The Strokes: Juicebox
Based on a first listen, love it. Never got to grips with The Strokes before, particularly with the effects on Julian Casablancas' voice. This reveals he CAN sing and they CAN do something that doesn't sound like it's begun with the words 'Last Nite was great wasn't it?'

Next up:
Band: Pretty Girls Make Graves
Song: All Medicated Geniuses
Link: http://www.epitonic.com/artists/pret...akegraves.html
(you can stream or download the track here)
Old 09-29-2005, 08:25 PM
tag
Old 09-29-2005, 09:16 PM
All Medicated Geniuses

I read about the album while listening to the song and a lot of people thought that is was the best song the band has made. I really don't think this is true though, since they could make something better. It's really just an okay track, nothing too special. The music works fine, but that's all it has going for it really. Oh well.

Next song (pretty popular but a good song nonetheless)

Anthems for A Seventeen Year Old Girl by Broken Social Scene

If you do not like vocal distortion in songs, do not tag this.

Here's the song
Old 10-01-2005, 12:36 PM
Tag
Old 10-01-2005, 01:26 PM
~Woah!

This is sort of creepy yet soothing. I love the escalation of the song it really sucked me into the song. Plus the string section playing away with the banjo really brought out the song. Fuck, this is a good song!

Bear Hides And Buffalo ~ Coco Rosie

http://media.putfile.com/04---Track--467
Old 10-01-2005, 01:33 PM
Tag

Been meaning to try Coco Rosie

Coco Rosie: Bear Hides and Buffalo
Well... challenging hardly begins to cover it. Combine the vocal stylings of Joanna Newsom, Beth Gibbons of Portishead and a cat with... cat sound effects, music that sounds like it's coming out of one of those ancient music boxes you had as a kid and electronic drum beats and you've some idea of what this sounds like. I like it though, it's not just someone wilfully being obscure (unlike, say, Firey Furnaces Blueberry Boat album), there's intelligence behind it and the song, messy though it is, has a hypnotic charm.
Strangely lovely.

Next Up
Band: Ash
Song: Clones
Link: http://www.contactmusic.com/new/home...s/ashx16x03x05
(streaming video link at bottom of page)

A great record from one of my favourite bands, perhaps THE best singles band around. This was the lead off single from their much underrated Meltdown album last year

Last edited by SAI; 10-01-2005 at 01:58 PM..
Old 10-05-2005, 05:36 PM

Tag

Gonna try this soon and post something for the next poor sucker to try.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:45 PM
Stealing
Old 10-18-2005, 09:05 PM
Ash - Clones

Eh, got nothing out of this. I was listening to it and at times didn't even realise it was still playing. It's just very blah to me, but then again this isn't really the kind of music I enjoy a lot (didn't know this before listening though). So, just forgettable and very average.

Next up,

We Tigers by Animal Collective (AC should make more songs like this, it's sad to see crappy songs like Visiting Friends or The Softest Voice make them a pretty okay band instead of something really great)

http://www.yossarko.com/wdfaa/files/..._we_tigers.mp3

Last edited by someguy; 10-18-2005 at 09:24 PM..
Old 10-27-2005, 03:28 PM
TAG

We Tigers by Animal Collective
Ahhhhhhhhhm. Well. The drums work well but, frankly, I just don't get it.
The vocals are a mess and any real words aren't really discernable. Just not for me I guess.

Anyway, something of a change of style next. I first heard this artist on a tribute show when John Peel passed away last year and became a fan in very short order.

Next Up
Artist: Laura Cantrell
Song: 14th Street
Link:http://www.lauracantrell.com/downloads.asp

Last edited by SAI; 10-27-2005 at 03:37 PM..
Old 11-06-2005, 05:34 PM
is this thread, finally, officially, dead then?
Old 11-06-2005, 06:10 PM
Nah...it's just been resting.

Time to wake up.

TAG!!!
Old 11-23-2005, 06:29 AM
right psycho seams to have overslept on this tag so i am nipping in and stealing it.

Artist: Laura Cantrell-Song: 14th Street

a nice little tune this,the kind of song that makes the day seam sunny even when the hail stones are bouncing off your bonce.
it is nothing original or groundbreaking but it's really so easy going and bright that it is impossible to say anything really negative about it.
it has a bangles sort of feel to it but the song is of a higher quality that the ones they sung.
a good song to put on when you are in need of cheering up or just chilling out.

next up a band i am unsure about i have listened to several of their songs and they are really hit and miss but i love this;

arctic monkeys-fake tales of san francisco

Last edited by paul calf; 11-23-2005 at 06:32 AM..
Old 11-23-2005, 01:14 PM
TAG!'

I'M bAAAAACK!
Old 11-23-2005, 01:32 PM
arctic monkeys fake tales of san francisco.

Ok I'm not all that into the title.
But the song is fun and a little reminiscent of the eighties which I'm ALL FOR! I'm not really going to pull together a comparison group at this time but it was a song I enjoyed. My one year old was sitting in my lap when I started it and he liked it alot so I played it again for him! Good stuff. (Not Great Stuff)

Next Song:

Ok, I'm not sure how you guys are supplying links to your songs. I feel a little inconsiderate (someone give me some hints how to do that).
But the song is :

Slickleg by Mastodon

Great band, very 'mathematical' in their execution. Confusing, interesting, beautiful noise. This music is very much like experimental jazz in my eyes. Great live show also.
Old 11-24-2005, 01:10 PM
I can't get the song at the moment.

As for how we're posting links... I've been supplying links to other sites that either offer the song for download or instreaming form. Other have been (and now I've found a site that works for me I will as well) uploading stuff from their own computers.

If you've got that mastadon song on your computer click http://www.badongo.com/ that link and simply follow the instructions. It's ludicrously easy.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:09 PM
SIREN30, here are some upload sites for you

www.putfile.com

www.yossarko.com/wdfaa

www.yousendit.com

www.megaupload.com

www.rapidshare.de

I would recommend only using the first three sites and NOT the last two.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:17 AM
There ya go.. Tag away!

Warning: The following music is NOT for the faint of heart.

http://www.badongo.com/file.php?file...-_Slickleg.mp3

Also: I would like to do something unconventional and post a second tag. Chris whitley died yesterday and it was indeed a tradgedy and a great loss to the music world. I would like to recommend that all who can,visit this page and listen to every song posted. Excellent, exquisite stuff.

http://www.chriswhitley.com/index.ph...edia&&header=6

Last edited by SIREN30; 11-25-2005 at 09:47 AM..
Old 11-25-2005, 02:25 PM
Not faint of heart... That's me... TAG.

Well. Not my usual thing it must be said but credit where its due: The musicianship is stunning, lots of metal sounds to me like people randomly hitting instruments this is actually a well constructed piece of music. HOWEVER vocally I just don't get it, I'm just averse to the vocal style here.

If metal is your thing this is probably great for me it was fine, interesting but uninspiring.

Next up

Artist: The Chalets
Song: No Style
Link: http://www.thechalets.com/home.html click 'video'

I've been enjoying a lot of new pop music, this is from what is for my money one of the pop albums of the year.

Last edited by SAI; 11-25-2005 at 02:38 PM..
Old 11-26-2005, 07:53 AM
Tag
Old 11-26-2005, 09:24 AM
The Chalets - No Style

Almost too sugary sweet for my palate. It's really tough to do this kind of pop without coming across as twee. I'm not a huge fan of happy music. I prefer to wallow in the misery of your Tindersticks or your Leonard Cohens. Sometimes though you need some light to provide some balance. This song pretty much qualifies. It sounds summery. I almost expected to look out the window and see a warm July day rather than an overcast November while listening to this. Plenty of pop hooks scattered throughout and I imagine that i'll download some more of The Chalets. It's that kind of song. Makes me want more. Cheers.

Next up...

Band - The Jesus & Mary Chain

Song - Kill Surf City

GET IT HERE!!!