Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Music
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2005, 04:03 PM
Tag
I've been meaning to hear more of this band.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:45 PM
Great choice Psychocandy!
Old 11-27-2005, 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by SIREN30
Great choice Psychocandy!
One of the songs that kept me sane in the mid to late eighties. Nice to see you back on the boards. I've been posting only rarely myself lately but i'm planning a big comeback.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:59 PM
Yeah, I was MASSIVELY scared away by the kazaa lawsuits here in the states. I shut down all my filesharing sites immediately. Anyway, I'm back now and have discovered torrent files...yay!

Anyway, I have always loved this song too! Reminds me of fall in the smokies and changing leaves...isn't that funny?
Old 11-28-2005, 05:54 AM
The Jesus and Mary Chain: Kill Surf City
I like. It reminds me of the Raveonettes first two albums (I know J & MC got there first, for the record) there's a solid pop hook under all the static, indeed the riff sounds like it's lifted from a rock n roll record.
I've only heard a little of this bands stuff but this is certainly prompting me to try more. Cheers.

Next up

Band: Giant Drag
Track: Y. F L. M. D
Link: http://www.giantdrag.com/sound
Old 11-28-2005, 10:08 AM
TAG and review:

I like this stuff. It's very drowsy and thick. I adore Suzanne Vega also so the vocals are right up my alley. Also reminiscent of an early nineties alt rock group called Heavens to Betsy. Anyway, I'll be listening to the other tracks on this website also.

Up Next:

Clutch-Burning Beard

I have to post a Clutch song right off as they have released two great albums since I posted on thread last. This song is fantastic and the lyrics are BRILLIANT as always!

http://www.badongo.com/file.php?file...burning_be.mp3

Here is a link to the lyrics:

http://www.pro-rock.com/v6/lyrics_robot.html
Old 11-30-2005, 09:02 AM
Ho Hum...twiddle thumbs...
Old 11-30-2005, 10:57 AM
Tag and review

Clutch: Burning Beard
A solid riff and some genuinely impressive playing here but it just left me a bit cold. While it's never unpleasent it never does anything particularly inventive or unexpected either so; fine, but just never really grabbed me

Next up... THE best single of 2005

Band: The Raveonettes
Track: Love in a Trashcan
Link: http://rapidshare.de/files/8386610/T...shcan.mp3.html

Last edited by SAI; 11-30-2005 at 11:10 AM..
Old 11-30-2005, 11:26 AM
Sai,

Did you read the lyrics? The music is impressive and his Neil's delivery is great but it's the lyrics that really turn me on. I usually recommend listening to the song while reading the lyrics. Also, clicking on the wikipeida links is always fun.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:45 PM
I did glance at the lyrics. Again, just left me a touch underwhelmed.

Ayway, anyone going to tag my last song?
Old 12-03-2005, 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by SAI

I'll TAG it. I was leaving it for someone that wasn't familiar with the track but fuck it...gotta keep the ball rolling (look who's talking).
Old 12-03-2005, 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by SAI

Interesting. Just out of curiosity, what overwhelms you? Not musically, but lyrically. See, I tend to be left cold by the majority of songwriters these days. It seems that I find lyrics too flowery or too flat. Neil Fallon gets me w/ his literary imagery and riddles. I like a song that keeps me guessing...'hmmm, what does he mean by that' or in the case of Paul Simon, 'wow, I couldnt have thought of a more pleasant metaphor'.

Examples of brilliant lyrics, imo:

Paul Simon-From Dangling Conversation....'it's a still life watercolor/ on a now late afternoon/ while the sun shines thru the curtain-lace and shadows wash the room. And we sit and drink our coffee/ couched in our indifference like shells upon the shore / you can hear the ocean roar.'

Tanya Donelly-from Green Door- 'with these hips, these lips, these get-a-way sticks... I've got it made. '

Neil Fallon- from The Yeti- 'The poet looks upon his page and thinks it strange that at his age/ he cannot find a single word/ to define his only world. One would think that in this life where no two snowflakes are alike/ One could find a brilliant rhyme for each and every bit of time'.

Anyway, sorry I didnt Tag your song. I was moving and didnt have internet for a little while.

I thought this conversation would best be done here since there are so few takers on this thread.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:00 AM
Don't worry about not tagging the song (though you should still give it a listen, its great)

Lyrics wise... It's hard to think of specific examples.

I often think rap lyrics are clever there's a particularly good example in BIBLE by Gza: http://www.lyricsdownload.com/genius...le-lyrics.html

I think Aimee Mann is a teriffic lyricist
Mr Harris is a great example, really creates a character in a 3 minute pop song: http://www.lyricsdownload.com/aimee-...is-lyrics.html

Kate Bush, for all her extreme oddness, also comes to mind
This Woman's Work is moving enough when you read it but even more so when you hear the record: http://www.lyricsdownload.com/kate-b...rk-lyrics.html

Obviously there's a bunch more but it's something that comes more readily to mind when actually listening to songs.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:04 PM
The Raveonettes - Love In A Trash Can

This song sounds like the bastard offspring of The Cramps and The Velvet Underground. It has all the swamp rock swagger of The Cramps and a big injection of kind of effortless cool that typified the majority of The Velvet Underground's best work. It also has an abundance of addictive pop hooks that reel the listener in immediately and ensure that they keep coming back for more. A great song from an even greater album that has not received the attention it deserved.

Next up...

Band - The Arctic Monkeys

Song - From The Ritz To The Rubble

Get it HERE!!!

Last edited by Psychocandy; 12-05-2005 at 03:15 PM..
Old 12-05-2005, 03:17 PM
Ok...Yousendit sucks. I'll find an alternative way to upload the song (unless the tagger can find it him/herself). Alternatively if you pm me your MSN Messenger ID i'll send it that way.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:17 PM
Tag.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:31 PM
I liked it. As I've said before, I'm a sucker for catchy songs, and this one certainly delivered in that department. Good sound, pretty unique. I like the vocals, and the repeated riff at the end.

Next up:

Anthony Phillips - God If I Saw Her Now
Old 12-05-2005, 06:10 PM
TAG
Old 12-05-2005, 06:47 PM
God If I Saw Her Now

Reminds me of Vashti Bunyan for some reason with the female vocals. But, like Vashti's songs, it's just pleasant. A soft song, yes, and there's nothing too much to complain about on here. It's just missing something that would make it that much greater. What it is, I don't know. It just didn't maintain my interest much when I heard it, but I don't have anything against it. I hate being neutral on things, but this is a track I find myself not really liking or hating.

Okay then, my pick

Your Ex-Lover is Dead by Stars

Get it here
Old 12-06-2005, 01:01 PM
TAG

Your Ex-Lover is Dead by Stars
Had no idea what to expect from this. It's great actually. The sample at the start doesn't really fit with the rest of the song but otherwise this is lovely. I like the use of the string section (Cello?) and both voices are really pleasent to listen to. So thanks very much, this is a band I'll be investigating further.

Next up... another of my favourites of 2005
Band: The Duke Spirit
Song: Dark is Light Enough
Link: http://www.dukespirit.com/ (Go to photos films and songs, then to films)

Last edited by SAI; 12-07-2005 at 03:39 AM..
Old 12-07-2005, 09:31 AM
TAG-MONKEY!
Old 12-07-2005, 09:58 AM
Alrighty.

Duke spirit-Dark is Light Enough
( or is it due spirit? My real player says due spirit which sounds way better to me. )

Anyway, I like it. It has some of the steady distorted humm of early Breeders and even Sonic Youth, w/ Kim at the healm. I enjoyed the dirty vocal delivery also. Brings back memories....
Pretty cool. I'll give them a further listen.

Up Next:

One of my favorite new bands...with a distinctly UN-new sound.

Old Crow Medicine Show-Wagon Wheel
(the song is a great adaptation of a Bob Dylan song...)

Get it hee-ya:

http://www.badongo.com/file.php?file...edicine+sh.mp3
Old 12-07-2005, 12:23 PM
Tag

I've really wanted to hear more from these guys. I'll be back in a jiffy.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:43 PM
First off it's good to see you back in the tag game Siren ,

Old Crow Medicine Show : Wagon Wheel
I saw these guys on Conan O Brian a few years ago and I loved their performance. I made a mental note to pick up one of their albums but it never happened. God I wish I had now. I loved this song. Eveything about is fantastic. The banjo, the way he delivers the Dylan Lyrics, and the violin just all come together to this blend of country/bluegrassy goodness. Thanks for the pick Siren it's a great song.

I honestly think this is my favorite song of the year the last 30 seconds gives me the chills:

Glosoli ~ Sigur Ros

http://media.putfile.com/02---Track--279

Last edited by bowieee; 12-07-2005 at 12:48 PM..
Old 12-07-2005, 01:02 PM
Tag
Old 12-07-2005, 04:23 PM
bowiee

I just listened to your pick. Very emotional stuff. This is really reminiscent of the 4AD label, isnt it? This Mortal Coil and such. This could really be put to good use in a film, I think.

Also, I'm glad you like Old Crow. You should definitely give the album a try. Tell it to Me, Caroline, Tear It Down, all excellent tunes.

Last edited by SIREN30; 12-07-2005 at 04:27 PM..
Old 12-07-2005, 05:43 PM
Sigur Ros - Glosoli

I love this kind of music. It's more of a soundscape than a conventional song. The choirboy like vocals are so embedded in this song that they become part of the music. I also love the way the song begins in a simple fashion and gradually builds to a beautiful crescendo. Siren30 really whacked the nail square on the head with her 4AD comment. This track in particular reminds me a bit of the Cocteau Twins. I really need to get me some Sigur Ros (I actually own a couple of mini albums and I did download the album from which this track comes but it's been a while since I listened to them). Magnificent.

Next up...

Artist - Jim Reid

Song - Song For A Secret

A pretty little ditty from the ex-Mary Chain dude.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:55 AM
TAG

Damn, no link.

could you email the file: sam_inglis81@yahoo.co.uk
Old 12-08-2005, 02:11 PM
I found it Sai...if you don't mind, I'll grab it. Feel free to take a freebie...

Tag and review:
Song for a secret-Jim Reid

You know, I've never been able to pin down what it is that is so appealing about Reid's vocals. I mean, he's no more of a songbird than Lou Reed or Bob Dylan but there is something so RELAXING and captivating about his singing. This is a very sweet song that depends almost entirely on the sleepy vocal delivery. (Siren heaves a pleasant sigh.)

Next Up:

When Love is New-Dolly Parton and Emmy Rossum

This song appeared on the Songcatcher soundtrack and still amazes me. Listen how well Emmy Rossum's voice melds w/ Parton's during the chorus. From what I understand, she was 13 when it was recorded.

Get it here :

http://www.badongo.com/file.php?file...on++emmy+l.mp3
Old 12-08-2005, 02:17 PM
Tag!!!

Oh, and welcome back Siren...you've been sorely missed hen.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BadCoverVersion
Tag!!!

Oh, and welcome back Siren...you've been sorely missed hen.
awwwww she called me a hen.

Old 12-08-2005, 02:24 PM
Siren...

You should try to track down some Sister Vanilla stuff. It's Jim & William Reid's Sister's band and it's a bit of a family affair with both of the brothers being heavily involved. There are some amazing songs. I'll try to upload some of them so you can check them out. Can't Stop The Rock is particularly magnificent.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:36 PM
Actually, Psychocandy, I did listen to both. The site I got your song from had both. They were both great.

Thanks.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:51 PM
Wow, this is a pure winner. I love Dolly's soaring country croon pretty much no matter what...but the Phantom chick has a set of serious lungs on her, such a beautiful harmonious tone! A fragile gem of a number, lyrically wonderful and intoxicating lyric-wise. I was singing along first listen, which is the mark of a genuinely catchy ditty IMO. Anyway, the voices and harmonies blend flawlessly...I loved it. Absolutely loved it. I'm on the 3rd lsten and methinks it'll be a long time before it gets tired.

Thanks Siren.

Heres a Richard Hawley link,

It's Over Love - Apparantly dedicated to Leonard Cohen

Psycho, bowieee, stay away if you know this one! You little tykes
Old 12-08-2005, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by SIREN30
awwwww she called me a hen.

Ha ha....I can't help it, it's the mother in me (read: NOT the 'muvva')...it's a pure term of endearment, and my mam calles me 'hen' all the time.

Siren, you are the epitome of a 'hen'.

Old 12-08-2005, 03:15 PM
Aaaaaaand TAG!!!
Old 12-08-2005, 03:28 PM
Well....
Thankee Kindly...
Old 12-08-2005, 04:08 PM
Richard Hawley - It's Over Love

Wow. I've been listening off and on to Richard Hawley's recent opus magnifique Coles Corner but am thus far practically a virgin to his earlier works. This song comes (according to Amazon) from his second album Lowedges and it's so strikinglly beautiful that any words I could possibly conjure would fall woefully short of describing it's gentle majesty. It actually reminds me of some of Mark Lanegan's more sedate moments (of which there are surprisingly many given his reputation as a drug guzzling misanthropist). This really did hit home though. I'm now on my sixth listen and I think that i'm going to have to drown my senses for a while in the complete works of Richard Hawley. Thanks for this.

Next up...

Band - Sister Vanilla

Song - The Two Of Us

Get it HERE!!!
Old 12-08-2005, 04:36 PM
tag
Old 12-08-2005, 05:07 PM
The Two of us~

This was a decent song. I enjoyed it. It was a fun listen but I think after many turns in the old cd player it might lose it's charm. The contrasting vocal really help flesh out the song and really give it it's charm.

http://media.putfile.com/07---Track--719

Off the Arcade fires recently reprinted debut album which I think Honestly is better than funeral.