Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Music
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2005, 04:27 AM
TAG

I've been meaning to get the Arcade Fire album

I'll come back and review this and the track Psychocandy emailed me (cheers dude) later, I have to go to work any second.

Jim Reid: Song for a Secret
Lovely, quite unlike what i expected from someone from his band. There seems to be a turn towards acoustic based songs right now and I'm really liking it. Thanks for dropping this in my inbox man.

Arcade Fire: 719
Every single time I hear something by this band I like them more, I had no idea there was anything other than Funeral out there so thanks for alerting me to that. Great band, and one you'd find it hard to mistake for anyone else. Thanks.

Next up
Band: Rilo Kiley
Song: Glendora
Link: http://rapidshare.de/files/8883408/r...ndora.mp3.html

Last edited by SAI; 12-09-2005 at 12:34 PM..
Old 12-10-2005, 06:21 AM
Tag
Old 12-10-2005, 07:44 AM
Rilo Kiley - Glendora

The start of this song reminds me a little of The Mountain Goats with a hint of Suzanne Vega. Then it kicks in and proves to be a nice little pop/rock song. I like the female vocalist's voice and it's certainly catchy enough musically. I've heard some Rilo Kiley before and so far i've found the experience to be a pleasurable one. This is no different. Cheers.

Next up...

Artist - Malcolm Middleton

Song - Loneliness Shines

Get it HERE!!!
Old 12-11-2005, 12:56 PM
TAG

Malcolm Middleton: Loneliness Shines
Wow, liking this. It seems much high quality music has emerged from Arab Strap, not just their own stuff but half of Sons and Daughters and now this guy.
Its a BIG sound for one guy and that's when I like it most when it gets away from just being him strumming a guitar and really bursts into life. I also like, as with Sons and Daughters, the fact that he sings in his own broad scots accent.
Fine stuff once again Psychocandy, cheers.

Next up
Both halves of Azure Ray had solo records out this year. I posted a Maria Taylor record a while back so here's one from Orenda Fink's album

Artist: Orenda Fink
Track: Invisible Ones Guard The Gate
Link: http://rapidshare.de/files/8998066/0..._Gate.m4a.html

Last edited by SAI; 12-11-2005 at 01:11 PM..
Old 12-11-2005, 02:06 PM
Tag
Old 12-14-2005, 08:32 AM
Keep the ball rolling, CrazyConfection!
Old 12-14-2005, 12:56 PM
Orenda Fink - The Invisible Ones Guard The Gate

The start of this song has the same kind of hushed appeal as Iron & Wine but with a female singer. A minute or so in though it evolves into something a little different. A fuller sound gradually develops with some beautiful violins forming a gorgeous, meloncholy background for the piano driven melody. I found this entirely appealing and will be checking out some more Orenda Fink immediately. Cheers.

Next up...

Artist - Jim Reid

Song - Love On The Ground

Get it HERE!!!

Forgive me. I'm being a bit self indulgent. I've been forcing a lot of Mary Chain related tunes down the throats of my fellow Music Tag Schmoes lately but I can't help it. Jim Reid seems to be building towards releasing his debut solo album and I can't help being excited. I've now heard something like five new songs from the guy on various radio sessions and i'm itching to get my hands on some studio versions. They are simply beautiful songs.

Last edited by Psychocandy; 12-14-2005 at 01:58 PM..
Old 12-14-2005, 01:58 PM
Oh...and some more info about Orenda Fink would be appreciated.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:47 PM
I'll wait and see if anyone else tags for a bit.

On the Orenda Fink thing though... your wish:

Bio from All Music Guide (www.allmusic.com)
Orenda Fink, born in Alabama in the mid-'70s, comes by her unusual name honestly, judging by the songs on her 2005 debut album, Invisible Ones. Unlike her former bandmate Maria Taylor, the other half of the successful sulk-pop band Azure Ray, Fink focuses less on standard girl group fare such as heartache and melancholy in favor of exploring the mystical, the mind-bending, and the murky. It's a mélange that, for listeners accustomed to the milky musings of her former band, offers its challenges. Voodoo music, for example, surfaces as part of Fink's post-Azure sound — an homage to the Haitian people, whom she came to love during a spiritually awakening trip to the island — and lyrically she is not above cribbing the rantings of a mentally unstable woman she once shared a Greyhound bus ride with. But Fink's music is as direct as it is adventurous, her voice a lozenge in a land mine of neo-new wave, electronica, and worldbeat, and listeners who have followed her career since she and Taylor first started making music together as students at the Alabama School of Fine Arts at age 15 won't want to distance themselves from it. Still, most of the twists along Fink's artistic road have not been quite as eccentric. When Little Red Rocket, the band Fink and Taylor formed in Birmingham in the '90s, disbanded after two albums — 1997's Who Did You Pay and 2000's It's in the Sound — due to the dust-up of Geffen Records' merging with Universal Music Group, the two decamped to Athens, GA, where Azure Ray were born. There, the Saddle Creek label act Now It's Overhead invited them to be part of their band, and they accepted, which brought them to the attention of Conor Oberst. In 2001, both Azure Ray and Now It's Overhead released scantly received self-titled debuts, Azure's on longtime label Warm Records. A year later, Taylor and Fink took up full-time residence in Omaha — Saddle Creek's home base — and released Burn and Shiver. The pair's third full-length, 2003's Hold on Love, released on Saddle Creek, brought indie scene raves on the merits of the singles "The Drinks We Drank Last Night" and "New Resolution." Fall Back Open, a Now It's Overhead set, was released in 2004 amid heavy touring. Fink, who has also collaborated with Moby, Oberst's Bright Eyes, and the band Japancakes, does not dismiss a reunion with Taylor, but wrote in the liner notes to Invisible Ones that "after traveling extensively in India, Cambodia, and Haiti, I began to focus more on the external world than the internal. I was drawn to issues like spirituality, oppression, and the interminable spirit that underlies the human condition. I was ready to take a different approach to songwriting than I had previously with Azure Ray."

you can also look at www.orendafink.com or her myspace at http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=18007450
Old 12-14-2005, 05:05 PM
TAG
Old 12-14-2005, 05:25 PM
Jim Reid-Love On The Ground

THis, again, is pleasant. Reid's voice is flowy and lends itself to the lyrics perfectly. He is intended for these songs , it's obvious.
Have you heard J Mascis' solo acoustic album Martin and Me? Alot of what he did there reminds me of these solo tracks you've posted by Reid.

I'm posting two songs here...sorry, it's a one time thing.

I'm happy to see the resurgence of the sound this band has to offer. The Hellacopters are heavily influenced by MC5, obviously, and though not as 'bottom heavy' as what I typically like in the rock n roll genre; they are a great band.

Get the Hellacopters-By the Grace of God here:
http://www.badongo.com/file.php?file...pters+-+by.mp3

A side project of Niklas Andersson is his downright bluesy band called The Solution. Surprisingly authentic sounding for a swedish band.
Song title is 'I Have to Quit You Babe' (we'll say it's a tribute to Brokeback Mountain...ha)
get it here;

http://www.badongo.com/file.php?file...to+quit+yo.mp3
Old 12-15-2005, 01:30 AM
Tag. Tag.

The Hellacopters: By The Grace of God
Oh God. LOVE IT. Right from the off this is great, strong riff and a voice that suits the record. I'm certainly going to be investigating this band, great track to start me off. Ta

The Solution: I Have to Quit You Babe
There's a cool 60's pop sound to this (I love the backing singers). Fun, danceable pop music. Lyrically it's strong too (with distinct echoes of Zeppelin's I Can't Quit You Baby).

Overall: Two tracks, two new bands to discover.

Next up
Artist: Beth Gibbons and Rustin Mann
Track: Tom The Model
Link: http://rapidshare.de/files/9206367/0...Model.m4a.html

Great track from the solo album by Beth Gibbons of Portishead (who are supposed to have been working on new material, though I've not heard anything for ages)

Last edited by SAI; 12-15-2005 at 04:56 AM..
Old 12-15-2005, 09:01 AM
Sai,

Here is a link to their very cool website.

http://www.hellacopters.com/site/thegroup.asp

enjoy. There should be some alternate stuff to listen to as well.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:39 PM
Tag
Old 12-15-2005, 01:33 PM
Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man - Tom The Model

Loved the first Portishead album and I always meant to check out Beth Gibbon's solo excursion. Tom The Model isn't leaps and bounds away from what I expected. This is a sweeping, melodramatic song with swooping, cinematic orchestration and some gospel style backing singers. It's impressive but for some reason it feels a bit cold. This is an accusation that also carries weight where Portishead are concerned but for some reason the unconventional shapes thrown on their debut album were more appealing than this. Maybe i'm not in the mood. I'll give it another bunch of listens and might even download a few more tracks. It'll likely grow on me.

Next up...

Band - The Pogues

Song - Lullaby Of London

Get it HERE!!!

Shane MacGowan was an astonishing lyricist before the alcohol killed his muse. This song is absolutely beautiful and probably among my top five favorite Pogues songs.

Last edited by Psychocandy; 12-15-2005 at 01:38 PM..
Old 12-15-2005, 05:02 PM
Tag
Tis the season for The Pogues, given that they made THE greatest Christmas record of all time. I've been meaning to try more.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:39 AM
The Pogues: Lullaby of London
The Pogues shouldn't work, mostly because Shane McGowan sounds like a drunk who's just fallen down a flight of stairs, and couldn't sing even before that. However he's a great writer and somehow his shambolic singing style suits the the music. This is no exception, it's absolutely lovely and yet another reminder that I need to at least get a best of from this band.

Edit: song didn't work. Please see my next post for a replacement

Last edited by SAI; 12-22-2005 at 05:42 AM..
Old 12-16-2005, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by SAI
I need to at least get a best of from this band.[/url]
Sorry. A Best Of just isn't good enough. You need the following.

Red Roses For Me
If I Should Fall From Grace With God
Rum, Sodomy & The Lash

And if you like all of the above you should treat yourself to the following.

Shane MacGowan & The Popes - The Snake

Trust me. It's all good.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:36 PM
Can't find it Psychocandy.

Try again?
Old 12-18-2005, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by SIREN30
Can't find it Psychocandy.

Try again?
You ain't tagging me. You're tagging Sai. Look at his last post.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:36 PM
OH. Never Mind.

Tag
Old 12-21-2005, 11:28 AM
I can't get this to play. Not sure why...

Someone else can grab it.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:41 AM
I think i know what the problem is. Might be a licensing thing. Anyhow here's an alternate Subways track.

Band: The Subways
Track: You Got Me
Link: http://www.badongo.com/file.php?file...You+Got+Me.mp3

Here's a bonus track for Christmas

Artist: Aimee Mann
Track: River
Link: http://www.badongo.com/file.php?file...nn+-+River.mp3

Last edited by SAI; 12-22-2005 at 12:04 PM..
Old 12-22-2005, 02:29 PM
tag
Old 12-22-2005, 06:53 PM
The Subways- You Got Me

this was pretty good not fantastic but pretty good,the problem i had with it was that it was'nt original enough,i found too many little bits that reminded me of other songs/bands the begining of the song for instance reminded me of new years day by u2,the singer sounded like the guy from jet, picky i know but thats what i was thinking when listening to the song.
but even with all that its still a cut above the usual garbage played on the radio and music channels.

next up

the libertines-time for heroes
Old 12-27-2005, 07:33 PM
Not a Libs fan but I'll TAG and keep this moving, see you all tomorrow
Old 01-05-2006, 10:17 AM
Sorry, forgot about this
For some reason rapidshare isn't working for me right now, hasn't been for a while. Can someone else grab this?
Old 01-05-2006, 10:58 AM
i think the time span on the file ran out i have redone it.

the libertines-time for heroes
Old 01-06-2006, 06:43 PM
Tag?
Old 01-06-2006, 06:54 PM
Time For Heroes- The Libertines

The Libertines are a band that I hadn't heard much about... okay, let me rephrase that: The Libertines are a band I had heard a lot about but hadn't heard any of their actual music. Pete whats-his-face was in and out of the news and his general attitude pissed me off so I decided against seeking them out. I have to say, this song surprised me. It's nothing special but it's a lot better than I expected it to be. It's got that nice indie-brit rock feel to it which I like a lot. It's fun, it's nice, it's happy clappy and instantly forgettable. I think I may now download some other stuff by The Libertines. Cheers, Paul!

Now for my song:

In The Aeroplane Over The Sea- Neutral Milk Hotel (ignore the odd band name)

http://www.badongo.com/file.php?file...lk+hotel+-.mp3

Last edited by scottish-movie-freak; 01-06-2006 at 06:59 PM..
Old 01-07-2006, 09:43 AM
Tag

In The Aeroplane Over The Sea- Neutral Milk Hotel
This is largely fine. I like the simplicity of it, the guitar line feels like something you could play just minutes after picking up the instrument. It drifts along pleasently enough but i do have some problems. Lyrically it's a bit twee (lets lie on the beach and count eery beautiful thing we can see) and the singer is trying a bit too hard to sound like Bob Dylan.

Next Up
Band: The Long Blondes
Track: Seperated by Motorways
Link: http://www.thelongblondes.co.uk/main.php?page=noise

Last edited by SAI; 01-08-2006 at 06:40 AM..
Old 01-08-2006, 06:43 AM
just a post to bump this up
Old 01-08-2006, 07:17 AM
Tag
Old 01-11-2006, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by SAI
(lets lie on the beach and count eery beautiful thing we can see)
Let's lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see. Get it right!
Old 01-12-2006, 04:59 AM
In the sun, on the beach, it's still a bit twee
Old 01-14-2006, 02:22 PM
The Long Blondes - Separated By Motorways

I heard a few songs by The Long Blondes over the course of 2005 and i'm intrigued. This song is a spiky little punk/pop number with a couple of nice hooks that doesn't outstay it's welcome at just over two minutes. I'm a bit of a fan of girl bands and i'm definitely looking forward to the debut album from these gals. Providing they actually get signed that is (don't think this will prove too problematic).

Next up...

Gimme five minutes.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:13 AM
That was a long five minutes...heh.

Anyway...here's a stone cold classic.

Band - The Blue Aeroplanes

Song - Jacket Hangs

Get it HERE!!!

The album upon which this song resided is due for a deluxe re-release tomorrow after not being available for over a decade. It's a lost gem of an album from a band that Michael Stipe so admired that he provided backing vocals on a couple of tracks. The album is called Swagger and I highly recommend my fellow music loving schmoes check it out.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:08 PM
Tag: Review and next track shortly

The Blue Aeroplanes: Jacket Hangs
The riff grabbed me right off with a sound that is more contemporary than I expected for a song of 16 years vintage (though that possibly says more about the age of people making music right now). The talking on key vocals work for the track but really this one was about the music for me and it's good enough that I'll be looking for more Blue Aeroplanes.

Next Up
Artist: Carla Bruni
Track: Quelqu’un m’a dit
Link: http://www.carlabruni.com/index.php?...age=record.php

Yes. Carla Bruni. The model. Her album, of which this is the title track, is beautiful and almost entirely self penned and played. You can stream the whole thing at the link. Enjoy.

Last edited by SAI; 01-16-2006 at 04:48 PM..
Old 01-28-2006, 10:38 AM
tag
Old 01-28-2006, 11:00 AM
Carla Bruni-Quelqu'un ma' a dit

This is lovely. I've always liked french folk, though I'm sure that's not the technical name for it. Julie Delpy has an album that is alot like that, doesnt she? I'm reading the lyric of Carla's album now (the english ones) and they are very well thought out and poignant. I'm impressed.

I'm actually reminded of Milla Jovovich when she released her album (which I happened to like). She also had a sexy, husky little voice and was well-known for her pretty face first.

THis next song is kind of a stretch for me. Josh Groban is actually one of my guilty pleasures. His appearance on Ally Mcbeal and his super cheesy radio hits make me almost ashamed to admit that his voice actually makes me a little weak in the knees. This song, however, is the beautiful love them of Il Postino. It's been used most recently in the trailer for M Night Shaymalyan's Lady In the Water.

Josh Groban-Mi Mancheri

Get it here:
http://www.badongo.com/file.php?file...mimancheri.mp3

Last edited by SIREN30; 01-28-2006 at 04:55 PM..