Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Music
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2006, 04:56 PM
bump
Old 01-29-2006, 07:25 AM
after that impressive bump i shall tag
Old 01-29-2006, 07:51 AM
Josh Groban-Mi Mancheri

wow what can i say about that,it was probably a million miles away from what i expect to be tagging on here.
the problem i have is that i do not know what to say about it,it was beautiful music ,with words sang beautifully,and it was strangley very relaxing listening to it,but i do not have the foggiest idea what he was singing about,whatever it was though he sang it very well and very passionatly.that made a very pleasant change.

richard ashcroft-why do lovers
Old 01-29-2006, 09:39 AM
Tag
Old 01-29-2006, 11:22 AM
Richard Ashcroft - Why Do Lovers

Richard Ashcroft used to be a bit of a hero of mine. For the sortest time. I adored the debut album by The Verve, A Storm In Heaven. It was one of those albums that had a mysterious power. It was murky. But in a good way. Ashcrofts vocals buried under an avalanche of distortion. He sounded like an angel lost in a maelstrom of sound.

Then they let me down.

First came the disappointing A Northern Soul. Don't get me wrong...it wasn't all bad. There were some stunning tracks on there. In particular History and On Your Own leapt out immediately as quality tracks. It wasn't that it was a BAD album. It just didn't measure up to what I expected.

Then they broke up.

Years passed.

Then from out of nowhere they got back together and unleashed A Bittersweet Symphony. A song so monumentally cool that my aniticipation levels for their forthcoming album scaled dizzy heights. The album arrived and I gave it a lot of time but it proved just as disappointing as A Northern Soul. Again there were several standout tracks. This time there was the adorementioned A Bittersweet Symphony but also The Drugs Don't Work (even if it ripped of Fireworks by Embrace) and the very beautiful indeed Sonnet.

Finally they broke up again and eventually Ashcroft launched his solo career. Since then it's been disappointment after disappointment. Now...this song...is...well...alright...I suppose. But for some reason it totally fails to touch me on an emotional level. And that's what I think Ashcroft is aiming for. The guy is possessed of a fantastic voice but I think he needs a writing partner. Someone he trusts to be honest with him and tell him when he's selling himself short.

Anyway...i've rambled on too long. This was only supposed to be a short expression of disappointment at yet another polished but soulless piece of MOR rock. But I can't honestly think of anyone who has let me down as much as Ashcroft has. A Storm In Heaven was a fucking masterpiece. All down hill from there. And so it goes on. It seems.

Next up...

Artist - Mark Lanegan

Song - The Circus Is Leaving Town

Get it HERE!!!

Last edited by Psychocandy; 01-29-2006 at 11:52 AM..
Old 01-29-2006, 12:00 PM
TAG
Old 01-30-2006, 04:56 PM
Mark Lanegan: The Circus is Leaving Town
Psychocandy... what can I say? Yet again you throw up someone I've not heard before and yet again it means I have to add an album to my shopping list, do you know what you're doing to my bank account here man?
This quietly strummed acoustic tune, sung by what sounds like a rather happier Leonard Cohen, grabbed me right off with its intimate feel and held me in rapt attention for all its five and a half minutes. Thanks again.

Next Up
Band: Be Your Own PET
Track: We Will Vacation
Link: http://www.xfm.co.uk/Article.asp?id=166557

I heard Damn Damn Leash last year and loved it right from the off, in less than two minutes it got me jumping up and down like an adhd afflicted teenager on a pogo stick. The self titled album is out on Monday and it's one of my must haves for the year.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:09 PM
TAG
Old 01-30-2006, 05:22 PM
We Will Vacation- Be Your Own Pet

I quite like this, seems to be the perfect rock record. It's short, sweet, catchy etc. The girls voice is a tiny bit annoying and I can't understand a word she says but songs like these aren't about the vocals. You've intrigued me, SAI. I'll have to hear some more stuff by this band.

My Song:

What Would Morrissey Say?- Help, She Can't Swim

Get it here
Old 01-31-2006, 10:31 AM
tag
Old 01-31-2006, 04:22 PM
Help She Can't Swim: What Would Morrissey Say?

I don't know what Morrisey would say. However he's known as a bit of a grumpy bastard so he might well joing me in damning this record with faint praise.
It's fine. The keyboards sound like an early 90's record while the indie guitars bring it up to date. The singer can't sing, not always an issue but it didn't work for me here. It's never unpleasent but I'd not be able to give it any higher praise than that really.

Next Up:
Artist: Mark Lanegan and Isobel Campbell
Track: Ramblin' Man
Link: http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2689070

This cover of the Hank Williams track, from Lanegan and Campbell's Ballad of the Broken Seas album was something I simply stumbled over this evening. It's absolutely brilliant, as is the video, available at the link
Old 03-18-2006, 03:35 AM
It's been while since this has been active so... Bump
Old 03-19-2006, 12:34 PM
Tag...

...cause no-one else is gonna.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:58 AM
Time to get this shifting again...

Mark Lanegan & Isobel Campbell - Ramblin' Man

Covers are a bit like movie remakes in that it's really tough to capture what made the original so special. So many covers run afoul of either being too slavishly in tune with the original to the point of being a xerox (therefore missing what i believe should be the point of doing a cover version in the first place) or changing it in a fashion that just doesn't make sense. Ramblin' Man was a Hank Williams song and them are some mighty big boots to be thinking about walking in. Familiar as I am with the past works of both Lanegan and Campbell and being a huge fan of both it comes as no surprise to report that this is an absolutely magnificent rendition of a timeless classic. With a big barroom blues style production and Lanegan growling the lyrics like Tom Waits long lost son while Campbell breaths a background harmony this is an object lesson in how to do a cover version in a fashion that compliments the original song while at the same time doing something new with it. Fucking brilliant stuff.

Next up...

Band - Pink Mountaintops

Song - Plastic Man, You're The Devil

Get it HERE!!!

Last edited by Psychocandy; 04-15-2006 at 07:20 AM..
Old 04-15-2006, 08:26 AM
Tag!
Old 04-15-2006, 08:42 AM
Plastic Man, You're The Devil- Pink Mountaintops

This song reminds me of something. I don't know what it reminds me of exactly but it's something I like very much. It sounds like something trendy, something I'd expect to hear in a student cafe or coffee shop but it has substance, it isn't flimsy like everything else out there today. The singers voice reminds me of Chris Martin which, in my eyes, ain't a bad thing. It has the right mix of country/western (this could be classed as C&W, right?) and indie. I now want to hear more stuff by them. I really really really liked this. Thanks, Psychocandy!

Next up:

Sailor Song- Regina Spektor

You can get the song here
Old 04-15-2006, 09:34 AM
Tag
Old 04-15-2006, 10:01 AM
Regina Spektor - Sailor Song

Kinda reminds me a bit of a slightly more appealing Tori Amos crossed with a slightly less appealing Rufus Wainwright. It's a nice little song. There's a nursery rhyme simplicity to certain passages (not lyrically...musically). I've heard some Regina Spektor before and I do recall thinking I should check her out (her music...not her). This suggests that those thoughts were not misplaced.

Next up...

Artist - Graham Coxon

Song - See A Better Day

The album closer from his recent Love Travels At Illegal Speeds album.

Get it HERE!!!

Last edited by Psychocandy; 04-15-2006 at 10:08 AM..
Old 04-16-2006, 01:34 AM
I forgot to tag, but anyways...

Coxon was always the best part of Blur for me. Loved his guitar work and songwriting. I haven't delved much into his solo carrer, but I dug this song. It's a nice little pop ballad. He loves her. Awwww. Reminds me somewhat of Neil Young, actually.

Here's one of the best songs of the year so far. It's hip-hop, so if that ain't your thang, don't click on it.

Ghostface Killah - Shakey Dog

http://s39.yousendit.com/d.aspx?
id=0VBDMKWIWVJDR2KRW6SWUCKK0F
Old 05-05-2006, 01:00 PM
Bumpity bump

Wah. I wanna discover more artists.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:13 PM
I'll tag and review

Shakey Dog

Why didn't they release this as Ghostface's single and not that crappy track with Ne-Yo. This is my favourite track from Fishscale, and if it was released as a single it would be in my top 5 songs from this year. I love the sample here, Ghostface's rapping is just plain slick and anyone who questions about the quality of him can listen to this song so they can be shut up. Great song.

So, for that rap song I will put up a rap song I have. And whoever correctly guesses where the sample in the song is from wins a prize.

Grim Fandango by Cadence Weapon
Old 03-15-2007, 11:40 AM
Bump

this thread was a bitch to find. It wasn't coming up in my keyword search so i had to sift through my ancient posts. It was sort of strange reading what I wrote half a decade ago in these forums. Well enough about me......

Someguy the link was broken since ages have past, so I couldn't review your tune. Since the last tune was hip hop I'll stick to that vein. Heres the new Aesop Rock track off definitive swim:

http://media.putfile.com/10-Aesop-Ro...all-pass-clean
Old 03-15-2007, 01:12 PM
Tag

Aesop Rock - None Shall Pass

I think i've heard a bit of Aesop Rock via this very thread before. I remember being more than a little impressed by what I heard. This song is no less impressive. An atmspheric backing and a great vocal delivery = one great rap track. I'll be sure to check out an album or two this time around.

Next up...

Band - The Fall

Song - Ride Away

Get it HERE!!!

Last edited by Psychocandy; 03-15-2007 at 01:35 PM..
Old 03-15-2007, 01:58 PM
Tag

This is different then anything I've heard for a bit. At first it sounded a bit monotonous but it grew on me as it went along. The drum beat is catchy and the lyrics were interesting. This song has an odd sense of timing which works for it. It's good to see this thread chugging along again!

at swim two birds

in bed with your best friend

http://media.putfile.com/01---Track--1-19

Last edited by bowieee; 03-15-2007 at 02:13 PM..
Old 03-15-2007, 02:13 PM
Tag

At Swim Two Birds

In Bed With Your Best Friend

Bowieee...this is utterly sublime. Reminds me of a band I like that goes by the name of Jack who released a stunningly morose album called Pioneer Soundtracks (one of the most underrated albums of all time). This is gorgeous. And i'd never heard of them before. Never. I'll definitely be checking out these guys.

Next up...

Artist - Malcolm MIddleton

Song - Stay Close, Sit Tight

Get it HERE!!!

Last edited by Psychocandy; 03-15-2007 at 02:32 PM..
Old 03-15-2007, 02:36 PM
Tag

Wow. This sounds alot more massive than his older stuff I've heard before. I love how the whole song gradually builds and builds upon itself. The last half of the song is really beautiful. Middletons vocals always sound warm but in this song even more so. I've been wanting to get his new cd I need to just break down and buy it.

Taken from The Gothic Archies additions to the A series of Unfortunate Events Audio Books

http://media.putfile.com/07---Track--7-59

Last edited by bowieee; 03-15-2007 at 02:59 PM..
Old 03-21-2007, 07:20 AM
TAG

I'm so glad you resurrected the ol' game!
Old 03-22-2007, 03:33 PM
The Gothic Archies

Not sure about this one. Very nice and melodic and I've always been a fan of a deep monotone voice but something kept taking me back to the MMMM song by The Crashtest Dummies and then I'd find myself feeling annoyed...heh heh.

I'm currently on a Rockabilly and Western Swing kick. My whole life seems to be wrapped up in Custom Car Culture right now, and everything that goes w/ it...ha. Maybe when I get back from the Las Vegas Rockabilly Weekender that I'm attending in April, I'll calm down in this area. Until then:

I'm loving Wayne Hancock! Such an authentic sound and such great songs...This one is 'Gonna Be Some Trouble'

http://www.badongo.com/file/2540039
Old 03-23-2007, 06:46 PM
Tag
Old 03-23-2007, 07:10 PM
I like this little ditty. Rockabilly is one of those genres that I love seeing live but I've never really gotten into when listening to recordings. This song was a honky tonkin good time though. It had a mean bass and it was overall a fun song to crank up. I really need to dive deeper into this genre. I'm into the legendary shack shakers and a few others but really I'm ignorant when it comes to really knowing the Rockabilly movement. So keep sending me tracks my way thru this game

Oh and welcome back to on the music tag train Siren now If only some others schmoes would man up and jump in new and old.

Childs

Ian P

http://media.putfile.com/10---Track-10-33-19

Last edited by bowieee; 03-23-2007 at 07:26 PM..
Old 03-23-2007, 07:30 PM
McTag
Old 03-23-2007, 07:35 PM
Ugh I was just listening to the mp3 conversion of this and it lost all of its depth. Sorry Psychocandy it's like 1000 times better in its original form. After the conversion it sounds like a nintendo game.

Damn.

If you want to hear them in all their ambient glory check out there myspace page this is how they were supposed to sound like:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=17319080

Not even Joking it's a 9/10 album easily.

Last edited by bowieee; 03-23-2007 at 07:38 PM..
Old 01-02-2009, 03:13 PM
hey!

Seems like the kind of thread that could really help people expand their musical tastes, so I'll give this one a BUMP! and pick a new song to get everything started up again.

Artist: Joshua Radin

Song: I'd Rather Be With You

Criminally underrated artist if singer/songwriters of the folk music variety are your kind of thing.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:23 PM
Tag.

I'd Rather Be With You by Joshua Radin

Yeah I mean, it's not bad if this is what you're into. Acoustic pop-rock really isn't my bag, let me just clear that up now. I really can't hear what sets this guy apart from James Blunt or Josh Grobin or Jason Mraz or any of those "J" cats who make music like this. But I mean, still, it's quality stuff - again - if this is your bag. I prefer Bootsy Collin's I'd Rather Be With You, but, that's way out there.

Howbout someone try Fearless by Pink Floyd off of the incredible Meddle.

http://searchbeta.playlist.com/track...20pink%20floyd
Old 03-25-2012, 07:55 AM
Tag
Old 03-25-2012, 08:03 AM
Pink Floyd - Fearless

I've never had much time for Pink Floyd. I can't argue that they aren't an important, talented band. I just don't get them. I don't think i've heard this song before though. It's not unpleasant. It just doesn't, like a lot of Pink Floyd i've heard, touch me. And I think it's a song that's meant to touch the listener. It's...pleasant but it lacks something invigorating that I can't quite put my finger on. It's too floaty. I keep thinking that one of these days, like happened with The Beatles, Pink Floyd will suddenly click with me. That day hasn't come just yet.

Next up...

Mark Lanegan Band - Wedding Dress (Live)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x27206cANiU
Old 03-28-2012, 02:55 PM
With your indifference you are all giving lie to the title of this thread.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:37 PM
Bah!!! I give up.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:19 AM
Tag, I might be your Huckleberry.

I've never heard of the Mark Lanegan Band. On my initial listen I was left with an impression of methodical, rythmic accompaniment to spoken word poetry, interspersed with heavily distorted guitar solos and a slightly melodic chorus. The vocals almost seem like Tom Waits light, although they do resonate with an original flavor. I can imagine appreciating this music fully if I was unable to sleep after a night of drinking.

What I gathered from the lyrics is the question of: Will you love me, and stay with me, even when I give up on tomorrow. The vocal sentiment adds to the somber gravity of the song.

This is my first music review outside of music appreciation in college.
Be kind.

Next up:

Once was One - Portugal. The Man
Old 03-31-2012, 03:56 AM
Tag.