Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Music
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2003, 09:10 AM

Well i managed to get the hang of this downloading malarkey and have to say im sure im gonna be visiting this thread a lot.

This particular song was not too popular for me as to be honest ive never bleeding heard of the guy but thanks for introducing him.

I really enjoyed this song. Its actually just the sort of music i am used to listening to. Was very simple and easy to listen to. I liked the soft start and the slight build up. His voice was familiar to me but i havnt yet put my finger on who i think he sounds like so will have to download some more different songs and have a right good listen.

So its a thumbs up from me.

My song may not be everyones cup of tea but im a simple girl with simple tastes, so i hope whoever tags doesnt find it too boring.

REO Speedwagon.
Cant Fight This Feeling Any More.

(Its a personal favourite)
Old 02-06-2003, 10:50 AM
*TAG*
Old 02-06-2003, 11:06 AM
I'm a big fan of this song too, Prettyinpink! It's funny because when I was little I would listen to this song and I couldve SWORN he was saying, "...and if I had to throw up on the floor, come crashing through your door..." LOL. Now, when I listen to it, I STILL think it sounds like he is gonna have to vomit on this poor girl's floor but whatever. I know he's actually saying 'fall' upon the floor. I've always liked the vocals and the melody. It reminds me of watching made-for-tv movies when I was about 8. Not sure why.

Next Pick:

I really hope ya'll can find this song because it may be one of the best written songs I've ever heard. I checked Kazaa and couldnt find it but I believe it is available on Mp3 or Winmx so if you've got the patience...it's well worth it. The artist is Mary Chapin Carpenter, who has always been brushed off as another country artist when she is not. THis song ALWAYS makes me cry. Listen carefully to the lyrics.

John Doe No. 24-Mary Chapin Carpenter
(and remember, don't cry )

OH! and if you can't find this song no matter what, an alternate pick could be Shotgun Down the Avalanche-Shawn Colvin

Last edited by SIREN30; 02-06-2003 at 11:19 AM..
Old 02-06-2003, 11:53 AM
tag
Old 02-06-2003, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by PrettyInPink
Im gonna TAG. For the first time folks so please be patient.

If i have any probs i will let you know soon.
A New Convert! Welcome Pretty in Pink
Old 02-06-2003, 01:12 PM
John Doe No. 24-Mary Chapin Carpenter~found it quite easy but having nighmares downloading it keeps stopping and starting so will leave it till it's finished which will probably be tea time sunday and will reveiw whan able too.
Shotgun Down the Avalanche-Shawn Colvin
so i downloaded this while i was waiting and am glad i did,very nice song quite country in style although not in a dolly parton way,which is always good.very nice subtle guitars playing a very western sort of sound backing up a singer with a really nice distinctive voice.not 100%what the song was about but too be honest listening to her sing i did'nt care that much.

right keep bcv away from this one she does not like this band,so here veiw's may be a little tainted

group-cast
song-walkaway
Old 02-06-2003, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by paul calf
John Doe No. 24-Mary Chapin Carpenter~found it quite easy but having nighmares downloading it keeps stopping and starting so will leave it till it's finished which will probably be tea time sunday and will reveiw whan able too.
Shotgun Down the Avalanche-Shawn Colvin
so i downloaded this while i was waiting and am glad i did,very nice song quite country in style although not in a dolly parton way,which is always good.very nice subtle guitars playing a very western sort of sound backing up a singer with a really nice distinctive voice.not 100%what the song was about but too be honest listening to her sing i did'nt care that much.

right keep bcv away from this one she does not like this band,so here veiw's may be a little tainted

group-cast
song-walkaway
Glad you liked Shawn Colvin's voice. I liked her so much more when she was a folk artist instead of her 'sunny came home' days of pop. By the way, Mary Chapin Carpenter is not really classifiable, though she does do some country songs. She really has a folk/songwriter style that is hard to explain. John Doe is just lovely, whatever it is.
Old 02-06-2003, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by paul calf

group-cast
song-walkaway
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!
Old 02-06-2003, 01:46 PM
let's see how this works: TAG
Old 02-06-2003, 02:11 PM
OKFIRST time back in the music folder after a long absence.

At first I thougth I downloaded patience by G&R, kinda similar acoustic opening. IT's always been my personal belief you can never go wrong with an acoustic guitar.
OK this isnt'a bad song by any stretch in my mind. It's a pretty good voice, with nice accompany. Is it a guy or a girl song, i couldn't tell at all. Althoguh I could have done without the echoe effect on the lead. I really like the bridge in this, kinda haunting. I do like the lyrics the most probably the most in this song, really kinda making me think.

All in all, this song was definitly worth a listen at least, but I'm not completly sure if it's winamp worthy on my list. But a few more listens should take care of that.

OK New song:
Title: Radio
Group : Alkaline Trio
Old 02-06-2003, 02:13 PM
TAG
Old 02-06-2003, 02:58 PM
Radio-ALkaline Trio

Well, I just dont' know. It starts off well. Catchy little rift going on. Hmmm, I'm listening again. Catchy heartland vocal melody. Yeah, I like this. THe lyrics are singable and interesting. I don't know that there is anything different enough about them to make me a wanna-hear-more-now fan, but this is pleasant song. The music sounds pretty standard to me.

Next Pick:

Queen-The Melvins
Old 02-06-2003, 03:13 PM
Tag
Old 02-06-2003, 03:32 PM
The Melvins - Queen

A dirty big riff and a lead singer who sounds like he's been gargling with broken glass. This actually reminds me a little of Monster Magnet. Not quite as heavy as them or as much fun but still kinda in the same ballpark. Not an outstanding song but fun nonetheless. A nice addition to my growing collection of MP3s that are playlist worthy.

For my next choice...

Band - Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Song - Our Time
Old 02-06-2003, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Psychocandy
The Melvins - Queen

A dirty big riff and a lead singer who sounds like he's been gargling with broken glass. This actually reminds me a little of Monster Magnet. Not quite as heavy as them or as much fun but still kinda in the same ballpark. Not an outstanding song but fun nonetheless. A nice addition to my growing collection of MP3s that are playlist worthy.

For my next choice...

Band - Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Song - Our Time
Actually, the only reason I posted this song as opposed to some of my other faves is this one is alot more listenable. They are actually the heaviest band I'm into...very sludgy. But, like Monster Magnet, I guess you could group them in the 'stoner' category, only with more of a metal edge.
Old 02-06-2003, 03:59 PM
*TAG*
Old 02-06-2003, 04:18 PM

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Our Time

Well, the NME have been hyping Yeah Yeah Yeahs for many months nowSo Im a wee bit excited about this one

Ooooooh I like her voice, and the music is pretty great also. Very reminiscent of The Bangles and a bit of a Blondie feel to it. I do like it when the music starts throbbing a bit, and the warped sound is incredibly cool indeed. Im not sure if Id want to purchase an album solely on the strength of this one (very catchy and rather irresistible) track, but Ive already got a definite hankering to hear some more from these kids.

Thumbs upa-thanking you mate!!!

Next up

2HB (To Humphrey Bogart) - Roxy Music OR The Venus in Furs
Old 02-06-2003, 04:30 PM
Well, I was gonna tag this one but I can't find it! I've checked under the song title and band names...no luck

Quick little review on that ditty by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Really fun song, sounds alot like the Grace Slick/Blondie hybrids of the 70's and early 80's. Very good song and really special as a band. I liked the dirty sound of the music (hey, 'dirty' is good word in music ) and the psychadelic effect on the vocals. Good voice.

Last edited by SIREN30; 02-06-2003 at 04:41 PM..
Old 02-06-2003, 04:43 PM
Just try "2HB" Siren...I've got a few results with that...
Old 02-06-2003, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BadCoverVersion
Just try "2HB" Siren...I've got a few results with that...
yeah, I tried that and nothing came up....I'll try again.

Ok, it came up...downloading now...

*tag*
Old 02-06-2003, 05:29 PM
2HB-by Venus in Furs

Being a huge fan of Humphrey Bogart, the mere title of this track was appealing. I also really liked the music in this one. The slightly above tempo drums and the atmospheric guitars were, for lack of a better word, cool and I liked the distortion at the end. I can't say I like the vocalist very much though and the lyrics were kind of cheesy, to me. Just didnt sound like something that would be written for Bogart. When I think of his memory, I feel the need to toast him w/ a very dry martini. I can't say 'your death will not kill my love for you' would come to mind. But I still want to hear it by Roxy Music as I prefer the vocalist.

Next Pick: a great track from her pre-pop radio days.

Black (NOT Black and White) by Sarah Mclachlan
Old 02-06-2003, 05:30 PM
Tag

That's 500 posts on this thread. Let's keep it goin'.
Old 02-06-2003, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by SIREN30
2HB-by Venus in Furs

Being a huge fan of Humphrey Bogart, the mere title of this track was appealing. I also really liked the music in this one. The slightly above tempo drums and the atmospheric guitars were, for lack of a better word, cool and I liked the distortion at the end. I can't say I like the vocalist very much though and the lyrics were kind of cheesy, to me. Just didnt sound like something that would be written for Bogart. When I think of his memory, I feel the need to toast him w/ a very dry martini. I can't say 'your death will not kill my love for you' would come to mind. But I still want to hear it by Roxy Music as I prefer the vocalist.

Next Pick: a great track from her pre-pop radio days.

Black (NOT Black and White) by Sarah Mclachlan
That's Thom Yorke (Radiohead) on vocals that is...I myself prefer the Roxy Music version (Ferry sounds oh so smoochy), I like the lyrics meself...they're kind of tongue-in-cheek..."Here's looking at you kid...", but I see what you're saying about "You're death could not kill our love for you"...it's a bit *deep* shall we say.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed...
Old 02-06-2003, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Tag

That's 500 posts on this thread. Let's keep it goin'.
Don't worry yourself Psycho...there is PLENTY of life left in the ol' dog!!!

This thread will NEVER die I tell ya'...We may pop our clogs in years to come, but the thread shall live on my friends!!!
Old 02-06-2003, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Don't worry yourself Psycho...there is PLENTY of life left in the ol' dog!!!

This thread will NEVER die I tell ya'...We may pop our clogs in years to come, but the thread shall live on my friends!!!
100 Years from now, the few of us that post on this thread will be known as "The Great Ones"...and thousands of archaeologists will be searching for the music of one, Jarvis Cocker...in hopes of retaining a bit of the brilliance of the first posters in the music tag game.
Old 02-06-2003, 05:49 PM
Quote:
That's Thom Yorke (Radiohead) on vocals that is...I myself prefer the Roxy Music version (Ferry sounds oh so smoochy), I like the lyrics meself...they're kind of tongue-in-cheek..."Here's looking at you kid...", but I see what you're saying about "You're death could not kill our love for you"...it's a bit *deep* shall we say.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed...
THAT was Thom Yorke? I always thought I loved his voice. Oh well, I feel sheepish.

Last edited by SIREN30; 02-06-2003 at 06:27 PM..
Old 02-06-2003, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Annie Hall
100 Years from now, the few of us that post on this thread will be known as "The Great Ones"...and thousands of archaeologists will be searching for the music of one, Jarvis Cocker...in hopes of retaining a bit of the brilliance of the first posters in the music tag game.
Annie, I'm tearing up...

That is truly beautiful...
Old 02-06-2003, 07:01 PM
Sarah McLachlan - Black

Took awhile getting this one...worth it though. It sounds a bit like Sinead O'Connor doing a song for a David Lynch soundtrack. I don't think i've heard anything from Sarah McLachlan (though I may be wrong...didn't she do a song for a big movie a number of years ago that had fans tearing her up for selling out?). This is an excellent song though. Very atmospheric and Sarah has one of the kind of voices I like in a female singer. Good stuff...i'll be checking out some more stuff by Ms. McLachlan.

For my last choice of the evening...

Band - Ministry

Song - Psalm 69
Old 02-06-2003, 08:05 PM
Siren30 did you get what the song radio was about? it really kinda makes me laugh at the lrycis. It's about a boyfriend who recently broke up with his girlfriend and gets drunk and wnats his girlfriend to commit suicide.

I wish you would take my radio to bathe with you, plugged in and ready to fall...
Old 02-06-2003, 08:08 PM
OH yeh, TAG
Old 02-07-2003, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Sarah McLachlan - Black

Took awhile getting this one...worth it though. It sounds a bit like Sinead O'Connor doing a song for a David Lynch soundtrack. I don't think i've heard anything from Sarah McLachlan (though I may be wrong...didn't she do a song for a big movie a number of years ago that had fans tearing her up for selling out?). This is an excellent song though. Very atmospheric and Sarah has one of the kind of voices I like in a female singer. Good stuff...i'll be checking out some more stuff by Ms. McLachlan.

For my last choice of the evening...

Band - Ministry

Song - Psalm 69
great album, Psycho...can I call you Psycho? VERY disturbing song. The only one from the album I won't listen to. Yikes!

Actually I'll go ahead and review it and then if Harry Hood doesnt come back any time soon I'll post another pick

Review Psalm 69-Ministry
I didnt listen to it this time. Once was enough for me. I bought this album back in 1993 (?) when it was relatively unheard of and when Ministry headlined lallapalooza (or was that 1992?). Of course at the concert (which was un-friggin-believable) I failed to hear any lyrics and just knew how much I loved the energy behind this band's industrial sound. Industrial music has always been a favorite of mine and this was no exception, especially with the darker side to it. All the songs are exceptional, albeit dark beyond belief, but the last song was just a little too disturbing for me. With lines like 'drinking the blood of Jesus Christ, drinking it straight from his veins', I was just left feeling a little exhausted with battling my conscience and decided not to listen to it again. The music is incredible and if I didnt have a healthy fear of God I would have a hard time saying 'uh-uh' to it. But, maybe that's just me. I'll go take a listen to 'Just One Fix' instead.

Last edited by SIREN30; 02-07-2003 at 10:44 AM..
Old 02-07-2003, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Harry Hood
Siren30 did you get what the song radio was about? it really kinda makes me laugh at the lrycis. It's about a boyfriend who recently broke up with his girlfriend and gets drunk and wnats his girlfriend to commit suicide.

I wish you would take my radio to bathe with you, plugged in and ready to fall...
Yeah, I got it. THe lyrics were one of the appealing things about the song.
Old 02-07-2003, 04:58 PM
OK here goes
Ministry: Psalm 69

OK, defintly not my cup of tea, if you catch my drift. In over 2000 songs on my computer, I have nothing that even resembles metal. The little girls voice is kinda cool-sounding. and the praise jesus chants made me snicker. From what I've gathered, metal music is usually ranked by how fast it is, this seems pretty fast, so is this a good group in general, in the grand scheme of things? All in all, I guess it's alright, just definitly not up my alley, and not winamp worthy in my mind.

New Song: Stranger than Fiction
New Group: Moe.
Old 02-07-2003, 05:13 PM
*tag*
Old 02-07-2003, 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Harry Hood
OK here goes
Ministry: Psalm 69

OK, defintly not my cup of tea, if you catch my drift. In over 2000 songs on my computer, I have nothing that even resembles metal. The little girls voice is kinda cool-sounding. and the praise jesus chants made me snicker. From what I've gathered, metal music is usually ranked by how fast it is, this seems pretty fast, so is this a good group in general, in the grand scheme of things? All in all, I guess it's alright, just definitly not up my alley, and not winamp worthy in my mind.

New Song: Stranger than Fiction
New Group: Moe.
Sorry you didn't like it. Yeah, Ministry are ranked pretty high in the whole Industrial/Metal scene and were a direct infuluence on bands like Nine Inch Nails and artists like Marilyn Manson. Their "Psalm 69" album from which this song is drawn is pretty much Ministry operating at the top of their game. Still...if you don't have an affinity for this kind of music then it's unlikely that this one song was gonna change your mind. Keep trying though...I can assure you that something will come along in this thread that will turn your head.
Old 02-07-2003, 06:48 PM
Moe.-Stranger than Fiction

i thought i would really like this i loved the start with the marching drums,but to be honest i found the rest of the song a little boring and repetitious he just seamed to be singing the same thing over and over and the song did'nt really have enough to keep my interest,it was very middle of the road.sounded like quite a few other songs i have heard.the only real plus point for me was the drummer was pretty good but not goos enough for me to listen again,sorry.

right i posted this band once before and they got a good responce so will give them another go one of my fave's.

embrace-all you good good people
Old 02-07-2003, 07:31 PM
*TAG-A-TY-TOO*
Old 02-07-2003, 07:37 PM
Maybe not...IT IS QUEUEING, but it's not going anywhere luv!!!
Old 02-08-2003, 12:42 AM
I couldn't get this one either.
Old 02-08-2003, 12:43 AM
Just wanted to post to say that I'm alive. The last few days Ive been going to concerts and visiting friends thats why I haven't been contributing. I was looking foward to posting some tonight but I just found out my dog has died so it might be awhile before I make it back on.