Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Music
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 01-23-2003, 12:29 PM



I'm speechless. I really am. This song was so beautiful. It caught me completely off guard. I'm setting up to replay as I type this. It's like a dreamy poem sung by the perfect voice for this song. This is seriously going to sit itself down in my play list for quite some time. AND IF ANYONE ELSE IS READING THIS download that last song Siren posted. Trust me its beautiful. Thanks for the pick this became an instant favorite.

Some mellow grooves for the next pick:

Blonde Redhead

In Particular
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-23-2003, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bowieee



I'm speechless. I really am. This song was so beautiful. It caught me completely off guard. I'm setting up to replay as I type this. It's like a dreamy poem sung by the perfect voice for this song. This is seriously going to sit itself down in my play list for quite some time. AND IF ANYONE ELSE IS READING THIS download this song. Trust me its beautiful. Thanks for the pick this became an instant favorite.

Some mellow grooves for the next pick:

Blonde Redhead

In Particular
I thought you might like it. It's one of my favorite songs of all time. You can actually just imagine that it is the song the Sirens sang in 'The Odyssey', can't you? When I graduated, we had my party at a friends house who lives in the country nestled in a valley. We turned it up all the way (the stereo was outside) and everyone just sat in silence w/ a lump in their throat listening to this ethereal tune echoing through those mountains. A memory like none other.

I'll let somebody else tag this one. I have to scat. But I'll be checking in later. I LOVE this game, bowiee.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-23-2003, 01:27 PM
Tag...

...be right back.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-23-2003, 03:50 PM
Concrete Blonde - In Particular

A good song. I had to listen to it three times to decide whether I liked it or not. Full of hand claps and wobbly rhythms with vocals that start out quite shrill and finish up breathy. I've actually been meaning to check this band out for a number of years. I remember reading a lot of positive reviews in NME & Melody Maker back when the eighties gave birth to the nineties. If I could say one bad thing about the song it would be that it perhaps outstays it's welcome at over five minutes. Just slightly though and it didn't affect my enjoyment one bit. Nice one Bowiee. I'll be sure to download a few more tracks from Concrete Blonde in the near future.

My choice...

Band - The Handsome Family

Track - My Ghost
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-23-2003, 04:00 PM
*TAG*

I've never heard THE HANDSOME FAMILY so this should be interesting...
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 01-23-2003, 04:14 PM

First offÖI downloaded the song by "The Mortal Coil", and Iíve got to admit it really is beautifulÖand so simplistic. The vocals are almost angelic and the music is just too bloody delicate, truly complimentary set against that stunning voice.

You got it in one when you descibed the track as "ethereal"...

Thanks for recommending this little cracker Siren.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 01-23-2003, 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Psychocandy
Concrete Blonde - In Particular

A good song. I had to listen to it three times to decide whether I liked it or not. Full of hand claps and wobbly rhythms with vocals that start out quite shrill and finish up breathy. I've actually been meaning to check this band out for a number of years. I remember reading a lot of positive reviews in NME & Melody Maker back when the eighties gave birth to the nineties. If I could say one bad thing about the song it would be that it perhaps outstays it's welcome at over five minutes. Just slightly though and it didn't affect my enjoyment one bit. Nice one Bowiee. I'll be sure to download a few more tracks from Concrete Blonde in the near future.

My choice...

Band - The Handsome Family

Track - My Ghost
I'm glad you liked them. The male and female voices balance each song out perfectly imo. The Handsome family ahh I still listen to them every once in awhile since you told me about them Psychocandy. Can't find that song though.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 01-23-2003, 04:52 PM
Ooooh not the EASIEST song to track down...

I liked this immediately, itís right up my streetÖa slightly brooding (but jaunty) country sound with a bit of a twist. His voice is extremely pleasant, and I didnít expect to hear any naughty words, but alasÖItís only the bloody F-word, always a bonus in my book!!! Itís short and sweet and Iíd definitely like to hear more of these kids. This is the sort of folksy/country stuff that Bowieee might even dig...It's not quite as depressing as Gram, and there is absolutely no mention of pick-up trucks breaking down, spouses leaving, and dogs dying.

Thanking you kindly Psycho!!!


Okey dokey...I know a few people know this one but here we go...

Artist - Manic Street Preachers

Song - If White America told the truth for one day its world would fall apart.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 01-23-2003, 04:54 PM

It might also be a bonus to have a look at the lyrics for the above song...Just in case you have NO idea what they're on about!!!

Suck it and see...
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 01-23-2003, 04:59 PM
*tag*

*cues Ahnold voice*

I'll be back
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 01-23-2003, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Psychocandy
Concrete Blonde - In Particular

A good song. I had to listen to it three times to decide whether I liked it or not. Full of hand claps and wobbly rhythms with vocals that start out quite shrill and finish up breathy. I've actually been meaning to check this band out for a number of years. I remember reading a lot of positive reviews in NME & Melody Maker back when the eighties gave birth to the nineties. If I could say one bad thing about the song it would be that it perhaps outstays it's welcome at over five minutes. Just slightly though and it didn't affect my enjoyment one bit. Nice one Bowiee. I'll be sure to download a few more tracks from Concrete Blonde in the near future.

My choice...

Band - The Handsome Family

Track - My Ghost
I'm confused. The track called In Particular was by Blonde Redhead, right? Not Concrete Blonde. Especially seeing the description of the music...it doesnt sound like Concrete Blonde. Concrete Blonde is a Gothic , female led (the amazing Jenette Napalitano) rock band from the 80's and 90's. Hits were 'Joey' and 'Caroline'.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 01-23-2003, 05:12 PM
Tipper Gore was a friend of mine

Ha. thats my favorite line after I looked online to find out what exactly they were saying. Great intro about the dinner but once the lead singer started rambling I couldn't make heads or tails of what he was singing about. Thank god for lyrics on the internet. After I started listening to it while reading the lyrics it really grew on me. Its another reminder of how much of a joke it can be over here in America. The lead singer has the snarling type of singing voice that I like alot so it really worked well over the music clanging around in the background. I like songs with tons of energy and this one has plenty to spare. great pick thanks BCV.

Next up something you may have heard before but just in case:

Sugar on my tongue

talking heads
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 01-23-2003, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by SIREN30
I'm confused. The track called In Particular was by Blonde Redhead, right? Not Concrete Blonde. Especially seeing the description of the music...it doesnt sound like Concrete Blonde. Concrete Blonde is a Gothic , female led (the amazing Jenette Napalitano) rock band from the 80's and 90's. Hits were 'Joey' and 'Caroline'.
Its by blonde redhead it was probably a typo. Concrete blonde is a great band also though. Blood letting was one of those albums that could almost make me cry when i was 15.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 01-23-2003, 05:26 PM

Glad you enjoyed Bowieee.

It's one of my favourite tracks from "The Holy Bible". You wouldn't believe how cathartic that bloody album is...it covers everything from prostitution to anorexia to child-molestation, and with track-titles like "Of walking abortion" and "She is suffering" you know you're in for a wee bit of uneasy listening.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 01-23-2003, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BadCoverVersion
Glad you enjoyed Bowieee.

It's one of my favourite tracks from "The Holy Bible". You wouldn't believe how cathartic that bloody album is...it covers everything from prostitution to anorexia to child-molestation, and with track-titles like "Of walking abortion" and "She is suffering" you know you're in for a wee bit of uneasy listening.
Oh god, I couldn't handle that album then. I like alot of sad music but when it comes to those subjects I can't deal. I work around kids and teens who deal with all 3 of those subjects at work all week, If I listened to music about it I would go mad.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 01-23-2003, 05:39 PM
Not really a typo. More of a brain fart. I've been having a lot of those lately...

Good choice of Manic's track BCV. The Holy Bible is my favorite Manics album by a mile. What that actually says about me is for my therapist to decide. Glad you liked the Handsome Family tracks. Their album "Through The Trees" is a masterpiece.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 01-23-2003, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bowieee
Oh god, I couldn't handle that album then. I like alot of sad music but when it comes to those subjects I can't deal. I work around kids and teens who deal with all 3 of those subjects at work all week, If I listened to music about it I would go mad.
It's pretty brutal...but very truthful. Pure poetry in parts but rather unsettling. The subject-matter isn't for everyone but it's a superb collection of poignant songs.

Hmmm, I'm gonna *TAG* here...I probably know this track but I think I should reacquaint meself. I've always wanted to get into more Talking Heads...

Downloading...
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 01-23-2003, 06:22 PM

I'm having a bit of bother with this ferking track...It could be my measly 56k (ooooooh broadband, I can only dream), or something completely unrelated.

If anybody else wants to *TAG* then go ahead...KaZaA seems to be having a dicky-fit on me!!!

I'll keep trying with this one Bowieee...
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 01-23-2003, 06:26 PM
Theres no hurry,

Well I'm off to go roller skating at the roller rink.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 01-23-2003, 06:32 PM
Ill Tag* it.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 01-23-2003, 06:38 PM
Well, I found the track on Kazaa but its sitting at Remotely Queue so if somebody else can get it downloaded feel free to take it but Ill keep trying and review it if I can.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 01-23-2003, 06:59 PM
TAG

Sorry I'm late on this shindig!
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 01-23-2003, 07:03 PM
Finally done...

I know this one...and I like it.

The vocals are fab. I always favour the more unique (sometimes tuneless ) voices...and this is no exception. Its a nice easy-listening ditty, classic geetars, great lyrics, good length (ooh er) and top vocals. I like the wailing near the end, gotta be my favourite part. My ONLY gripe...It meanders a bit...I'd have liked a bit more of the waily stuff, but a solid tune nonetheless. You can't really go wrong with Talking Heads, and I should make the effort to purchase an album or two.

And now for something completely Pulpy (again)...

Song - The Fear

Artist - Pulp

Last edited by BadCoverVersion; 01-23-2003 at 07:09 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 01-23-2003, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by countchocula
TAG

Sorry I'm late on this shindig!
Shite almighty!!!

Sorry mate...you can review and post if you fancy, scrap my go...
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 01-23-2003, 07:13 PM
Actually, the download died halfway through and hasn't budged since. So no harm, no foul! I'll wait to tag your Pulp tune until I know that it will download properly.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 01-23-2003, 07:24 PM
Badcoverversion...

I was wondering how long you would be able to wait before choosing a Pulp song. The Fear is a good choice but i'll let someone else Tag it who hasn't already heard it. Personally I prefer Wickerman...it's my current favorite Pulp song (though if you ask me again tomorrow it'll likely be something else...think i'll be in a Razzamatazz kinda mood tomorrow).
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 01-23-2003, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Psychocandy
Badcoverversion...

I was wondering how long you would be able to wait before choosing a Pulp song. The Fear is a good choice but i'll let someone else Tag it who hasn't already heard it. Personally I prefer Wickerman...it's my current favorite Pulp song (though if you ask me again tomorrow it'll likely be something else...think i'll be in a Razzamatazz kinda mood tomorrow).
I'm trying to create my own little legion of Pulp People. We'll take over the bloody world one day...you mark my words. "Wickerman" is gorgeous Psycho, I'm with you on that. But I just can't help thinking that an 8 and a half minute Cocker monologue might be a bit much for a Pulp virgin.

Oh well, there's always next time...
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 01-23-2003, 08:05 PM
Just to update, it's remotely queued.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 01-23-2003, 08:37 PM
I'm not tagging I'll leave the next post up to the count.

I just want to review this song. Lately due to these boards I've become a pulp sponge soaking up all the different songs everyone reccomends and my respect for them grows with every listen. You have to admit the lead singer has a charisma and a air to him alot of performers left behind in the 70's and 80's.

This song pretty much paints the ugly picture of depression and the baggage that comes with it. The music is perfect, the voice is perfect. This may be the best pulp song I've heard so far thanks BCV. I seriously think I've become addicted to this thread but my music knowledge is getting all the better for it.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 01-23-2003, 08:54 PM
So, let me get this straight...BCV's song has not yet been tagged?
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 01-23-2003, 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bowieee
I'm not tagging I'll leave the next post up to the count.

I just want to review this song. Lately due to these boards I've become a pulp sponge soaking up all the different songs everyone reccomends and my respect for them grows with every listen. You have to admit the lead singer has a charisma and a air to him alot of performers left behind in the 70's and 80's.
Glad you enjoyed luv, I couldn't resist. I'm just trying to increase the Pulp love...I'm a sad tart

Ooooooh Bowieee, I meant to ask you about this one. I was looking for a Neutral Milk Hotel album in HMV the other day. Is "On Avery Island" worth my pennies or do you reckon I should ask them to order me a copy of "In the Aeroplane over the Sea"? The bloke behind the counter didn't have a clue what I was on about (eyed me up and down like I had 10 friggin heads), so I'm guessing these fella's aint too popular in the UK. Sooo...???
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 01-23-2003, 08:58 PM
I think Count ran into some technical difficulties so feel free to tag it. I think hopefully this thread will stick around for awhile so Count can chime in on the next one thats easier to find from where he is at.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 01-23-2003, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BadCoverVersion
Glad you enjoyed luv, I couldn't resist. I'm just trying to increase the Pulp love...I'm a sad tart

Ooooooh Bowieee, I meant to ask you about this one. I was looking for a Neutral Milk Hotel album in HMV the other day. Is "On Avery Island" worth my pennies or do you reckon I should ask them to order me a copy of "In the Aeroplane over the Sea"? The bloke behind the counter didn't have a clue what I was on about (eyed me up and down like I had 10 friggin heads), so I'm guessing these fella's aint to popular in the UK. Sooo...???
I haven't heard On Avery island yet but by word of mouth it is not nearly as good as Aeroplane over the sea. Aeroplane over the sea is on my top ten album list so I give it the bowieee seal of approval
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 01-23-2003, 09:00 PM
(Annie triumphantly hops into the ring) *TAG*
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 01-23-2003, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Annie Hall
So, let me get this straight...BCV's song has not yet been tagged?
Tag and recommend if you fancy it Annie...I think Count is having a bit of bother this evening.

My apologies btw Annie, Bowieee, I know I harp on with the Pulp shite. I thought because we've got some new kids on the block and all...

You can keep the Neutral Milk Hotel stuff coming though...and a bit more Nick Cave wouldn't go amis... Jesus, I'm a tag-game addict now...
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 01-23-2003, 09:09 PM
Well, let us begin by me saying I am *quite* thrilled to be here, I think I'm gonna like this game. Ok, onto the review...

I tend to like some of Pulp's music anyway, but I was honestly surprised at how much I enjoyed this one. It's got flare and style, and if they have a couple more like it, is enough to make me a fan of Pulp and one Jarvis Cocker (whose voice I think is absolutely perfect for the music he makes). This really is "My kinda music", it's not overbearing, but at the same time a bit overwhelming...emotional, but not melodramatic. And when it is melodramatic...I'm just enjoying it too much to give a damn. Fabulous choice BCV

Ok, now I must choose...after much deliberating. I reckon a good number of you guys have heard this one, but it is a bit different from previous versions and I think it is utterly and completely overwhelming and powerful (and, is that Ewan's voice I hear in the background? )

Title:
The Minstrel Boy

Artist: Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros (from Black Hawk Down).
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 01-23-2003, 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BadCoverVersion
Tag and recommend if you fancy it Annie...I think Count is having a bit of bother this evening.

My apologies btw Annie, Bowieee, I know I harp on with the Pulp shite. I thought because we've got some new kids on the block and all...

You can keep the Neutral Milk Hotel stuff coming though...and a bit more Nick Cave wouldn't go amis... Jesus, I'm a tag-game addict now...
Not at all...in fact, I am always open to suggestions for Pulp music...after all...you *are* the expert.

Plus, if I'm nice to you now, you cannot kill me over my Belle & Sebastian addiction
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 01-23-2003, 09:14 PM
Check

thedirectorsbureau.com

BCV, they have some Pulp videos directed by Roman Copolla, as well as mucho mas muy cool stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 01-23-2003, 09:23 PM
Pulp "The Fear" - Wow! This song is really.... big. It's hard to explain, but, you know, it's really grand. I like songs that sound like this. It's much different than the Pulp I'm familar with. Great pick , BCV!
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 01-23-2003, 09:26 PM

Thanks for the link Bubba...Fab little site.

I'm currently downloading "Party Hard" (directed by Mike Mills), one of me all-time favourites, I've got the T-shirt and everything, my reputation is quickly going to the dogs...I'm a sad bugger.

PS: I've actually got the bloody DVD but it's not the same as the little quicktime vid...;D
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump