Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Music
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2003, 09:05 PM
The Jam - The Bitterest Pill

I'm not terribly familiar with The Jam. Beyond a few of the absolute classics i've heard very little. Taking into consideration what i'd been led to believe of this band this song comes as something of a surprise. This sounds more like something I would have expected of The Style Council and surely must have come near the end of The Jam's existence. It's pretty nice. I'd have to listen to it a whole lot more than I have to get a real feel for it.

Boy...i'm real tired. Time for bed I think. I'll leave y'all with the following...

Band - Jesus & Mary Chain

Song - Sometimes Always
Old 02-21-2003, 09:27 PM
Insy bitsy Tag went up the water spout.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:38 PM
I have really grown to like this band over the past year. Way before there was a music forum psychocandy was pushing the Jesus and Mary chain over in the horror forums> Since we had similar tastes I took heed and purchased their singles collection and never regreted it. This song is a great duet. I love the toned down feel as the singers each take turns crooning away over the chiming guitars. This type of melody makes me smile and lose myself in the music. Muchos Gracias Psychocandy the pick was very appreciated

A Little touching russian rockabilly song about the loneliness of space and the need for naked women.

Rocket man

The red elvises

I'm leaving to watch Old school again WAHoooooooO! I love that movie. So I won't be able to check if you can't find that one check out

Night moves

Bob Seger

Last edited by bowieee; 02-21-2003 at 10:14 PM..
Old 02-22-2003, 07:15 AM
Tag
Old 02-22-2003, 08:13 AM
Ok fro any of the music schmoes who are willing to travel look whats coming to my home state California:

Cochealo music festival

The only day I know most of the bands is the day I'm going. The last sunday in April some of the line up is:

Sonic Youth
The White Stripes
Red Hot chili peppers
Jack Johnson
Mars Volta
Johnny Marr
The Blue man Group
and more.........

Thats all just one day. So if your anywhere near this area I would advise not to miss out.

Tell me is that not a dream line up?
Old 02-22-2003, 08:22 AM
The Red Elvises - Rocket Man

Decidedly odd. No...hang on...it's more like DECIDEDLY ODD!!!! Kinda catchy in a parping horns, eccentric vocal, wacky lyrick kinda way. Dunno if i'll be listening to it very often. It reeks of novelty and i'm not too keen on that particular sub-genre of music. It's very mock Las Vegas. Strange.

Ok...my choice...

Band - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

Song - There Is A Town
Old 02-22-2003, 10:37 AM
Due to some bizarre act-ups on My Kazaa Lite,I shall not be in this topic again(but I will tag once in a while if I can). The stupid program keeps bringing up the stupid blue screen everytime I go on! But I just wanted to say farewell and thank Bowiee,BCV,PrettyInPink,Paul Calf,Psychocandy,and the others I didn't mention for introducing me to songs that are now part of my playlist.
Old 02-22-2003, 11:30 AM
*are you tagin to me,i can't see anyone tagin*

thanx someguy hope to see you back soon.
Old 02-22-2003, 01:49 PM
Calf? You going, or shall I *tag*?

Bowieee... I'd be there for about eight seconds.. As soon as Lee Ronaldo broke out an electric drill I'd have a fucking heart attack! HAVE FUN! I wanna know how Marr's new band sounds.. I read the big thing that he had in Guitar Magazine and it sounds reallllly cool.
Old 02-22-2003, 01:55 PM
it is taking years to download this song so go ahead and retag it romero,i have a pint of stella with my name just being poured i hope.
Old 02-22-2003, 01:56 PM
excellent..

*re-tag*
Old 02-22-2003, 02:19 PM
WOW~! This is the best Nick Cave song I've ever heard..

its like satan singing a country ballad.. The man is a fucking acrobat.. Niiice blend of arrangements and a bruuuutal drum loop to keep it all together. the cherry is a niice piano piece that keeps things sounding really sinister..

you suuure know how to pick 'em, Bowieee!

hrmm..

here's the KING of Delta blues.. an infamous drunk, a womanizer, a GENIUS! The man has eight brains.. The recordings are ooolllld and hard to pick out, but you really have to try and listen to what the man is doing.. its really not human..

Charley Patton-High Water Everwhere (pt 1)

ENJOY!
Old 02-22-2003, 02:22 PM
again, I must stress that this music is REALLY old and most people dont really enjoy it that much..
Old 02-22-2003, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Romero&Juliet
you suuure know how to pick 'em, Bowieee!
While I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment it remains a fact that Bowieee didn't pick that track. Heh.

Glad you liked the song though. Cave's new album is way better than many of the reviews had led me to believe. It's actually currently my favorite (although this may just be because it's fresh material).
Old 02-22-2003, 02:29 PM
Oh...and before I forget. TAGah (that's how Mark E Smith would say it)...
Old 02-22-2003, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Psychocandy
While I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment it remains a fact that Bowieee didn't pick that track. Heh.

ooops! sorry about that..
Old 02-22-2003, 02:57 PM
Charley Patton - High Water Everywhere (Pt.1)

Heh. This'll be some of that old style Delta blues. I have nothing but the utmost respect for the guys who laid down the foundations upon which so much has been built. This is about as lean and stripped bare as this stuff gets. This song evokes pictures of a bunch of old hobo's huddled around a campfire near a railway track while Patton sits on a wooden box with his guitar and every so often out of the darkness comes the motion of a train passing in the night, the sound of it's wheels on the track and it's lonesome whistle merging with the music in a moment of perfect sadness. There are loads of boxsets and cd's that archive much of this old Delta Blues stuff and I keep meaning to delve in a do some sampling. I should get moving on that. Thanks R&J.

For my next suggestion...

Band - Arab Strap

Song - The First Big Weekend
Old 02-22-2003, 11:40 PM
I can't find this one anywhere!
Old 02-23-2003, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Annie Hall
I can't find this one anywhere!
That's really odd. I got loads of hits on this one. Try searching for just the band name. A lot of their songs only got a few hits, some only one or two. This got quite a lot. If you still can't get it then try the following instead.

Artist - Red House Painters

Song - Mistress (Piano Version)

If you can't get the Piano Version just go for the standard one.
Old 02-23-2003, 09:53 AM
Tag on the Red House Painters

(couldn't find the Arap Strap track)
Old 02-23-2003, 05:39 PM
Mork calling Fettdog...Mork calling Fettdog...come in Fettdog...
Old 02-23-2003, 06:28 PM
i think fettdog has gone awol so i shall retag if nobody minds
Old 02-23-2003, 06:33 PM
Sorry for the delay people - something unexpected and urgent came up.

OK, just finished listening to Mistress (piano version) by the Red House Painters and I like it! It's a sparse, haunting ballad based around a gentle piano refrain. The vocals kind of 'drift' over the piano to great effect, producing an almost hypnotic track that would be best listened to in a darkened room with a bottle of red wine. In short, it's a beautiful example of gloomy chill-out music.

On the strength of this I'll be checking out some of their other stuff. (A good pick Psychocandy)

OK, next song is...............

Mad World by Gary Jules (from the Donnie Darko soundtrack)
Old 02-23-2003, 06:39 PM
oh there you are great pic for next song i will let someone else tag it though because i know it so well.
Old 02-23-2003, 06:48 PM
Tag...

Glad you liked the Red House Painters track Fettdog. If you do intend to check out some of their other stuff then please allow me to recommend their Songs For A Blue Guitar album. It's a masterpiece and so far my favorite of their albums (I have four and intend to complete my collection soonish). They are a great band but are alas no more. Their lead singer Mark Kozalek does have a few solo releases and i've heard a lot of good things about them. The oddest one is an album of Black Sabbath cover versions stripped down to just Kozalek and an acoustic guitar. Apparently it works. Sounds intriguing.
Old 02-23-2003, 07:28 PM
Gary Jules - Mad World

Wow. This is a very haunting and sad song. I think i've heard it before (I haven't seen Donnie Darko yet). The version I downloaded was mainly just vocals and piano with some cello backing. Was there a full band version of this song? Whatever. This is excellent. I've heard that the end of Donnie Darko is quite sad and that this song plays at the conclusion of the movie. I can totally see how that would work. Thanks Fettdog for (re)introducing me to this wonderful song.

For my next choice...

Band - Elbow

Song - Powder Blue

If you can't find Powder Blue try either Red or Asleep In The Back. All fine songs (actually...Elbow don't have any bad songs).
Old 02-23-2003, 07:29 PM
I'm in love.

I'm running off 1 and a half hours sleep but I really want to write about this concert experience because you guys are probably the only people at joblo who would even care and its bouncing around in my head. I just saw Cat power last night and it may be one of the greatest live experiences of my life. She was so drunk she could barely even stand. She kept hitting her head on the microphone and apologizing for being so fucked up. So you would think the concert woul have sucked the big one.... Fuck no it was one of the most exhilarating intimate shows I have ever seen in my life. Every song sounded beautiful and she played every single mother fucking song I could dream oif. the band took the stage late at 11:30 she didn't finish until 1:30. Well I'm off to go to sleep but I just wanted to say if they come to your town. Don't hesitate (especially you psychocandy you would eat this up) to go. God I love life................

I just reread this please ignore the over abundunce of the word Fuck. I think its a side affect of lack of sleep. I sound like a drunken sailor. ARRRRRRRRRR.

Last edited by bowieee; 02-23-2003 at 09:57 PM..
Old 02-23-2003, 08:23 PM
Nah who needs sleep.

Tagtastic!
Old 02-23-2003, 08:30 PM
This song is how coldplay would sound like if they were actually talented. What an outstanding song. The lead singer's voice is beautiful and the arrangements behind him were awfully good.
I love vocals that croon and this guy can do it with the best of them. His voice really added to the song. I think i'll listen to this selection many times again in the future thanks Psychocandy!

Since I am currently obsessed with her:

Colors and Kids

Cat Power

Last edited by bowieee; 02-23-2003 at 09:04 PM..
Old 02-24-2003, 04:56 AM
ITS TAG TIME.
Old 02-24-2003, 05:59 AM
This is lovely. What a beautifull voice, im melting.
Love the piano, its so simple yet so bloody effective.
It sounded such a sad song but you still want to listen to it over and over again. She has such a voice that drags you right into the song. You feel her, pain and your there with her.
Sounds wierd but its what it done to me.

Great pick. I was really impressed with this.

Next up......

PETER & GORDON

WORLD WITHOUT LOVE.

I just like this song. It reminds me of being little, watching some music programme with my dad. (think it was jukebox something).
Old 02-24-2003, 08:33 AM
tttaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggghhhhhhhh h
Old 02-24-2003, 09:49 AM
PETER & GORDON-WORLD WITHOUT LOVE.

i did not think i would know this one,but the minute it started it came back like an old friend you have'nt seen for a while,really nice 60's tune quite cheesy but in a good way,does not break any new bounderies but is just a really nice song,the hamond organ sounds really good though lots of 60's groups used this and its a great sound,one that went missing until the inspiral carpets brought it back big style,good choice.

next pic -ian brown-corpses in their mouths
Old 02-24-2003, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Psychocandy
[B]Gary Jules - Mad World

Was there a full band version of this song?
I don't think so Psychocandy - there's a 'alternative' version which is really just the same track with a very understated kick drum and snare on it - not that different at all really, but it does just give it a slightly different flavour.
Old 02-24-2003, 12:49 PM
I'll tag that mutha.
Old 02-24-2003, 01:15 PM
Ian Brown - Corpses in their Mouths

I kind of liked this one, feels quite offbeat, a bit of a down song. I loved the lyrics though, the chorus is a bit of let-down, but not really a big effect on the whole, i liked it, but it was too much of the same maybe...Based on this I probably wouldn't go and search more of the same, though it's not quite like anything I've heard, still sounded a tad familiar...Not bad, but not great either, in my opinion.

Next pick,

Band : (the) Rasmus

Song : Liquid

I could swear I had a song in mind when I got here, but right now I just can't recall what the hell it was, so my emergency solution is this song, that turns up in quite large amounts on my Kazaa at least...happy hunting.
Old 02-24-2003, 01:28 PM
*TAG*
Old 02-24-2003, 02:10 PM

Okay, this is a pleasant enough tune...but it just didn't GRAB me!!! It just reminded me of far too many different artists (but I couldn't place 'em )...and it didn't seem to offer me anything sparky. I didn't HATE anything about the vocals, the content, the style...but it just wasn't enough to convince me mate...

It had a bit of a soft-rock/power-ballad feel to it, and I can't say I'm a huge fan of power ballads (especially the soft-rock variety ), that being said...I never object to a bit of Peter Cetera come a Saturday night!!!

This didn't make my ears bleed or anything, It just left me wanting SOMETHING...something ELSE...but there you go...such is life!!!

Perhaps somebody else should have a wee listen to this ditty...I'm bloody useless...

Anyway, sorry Arto...It didn't tickle my fancy, and I'm on the fence at the mo'...

Next up...

Track - Two Little Boys

Artist - Rolf Harris

I'm in a strange mood this evening...
Old 02-24-2003, 02:13 PM
Rolf Harris? Oh, i've got to hear this. Tag-a-mega-taga-muffin.
Old 02-24-2003, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by arto_j
Rolf Harris? Oh, i've got to hear this. Tag-a-mega-taga-muffin.
Oh sweet revenge...

You are going to slaughter my picky Arto...I can feel it in me bones!!!