Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Music
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2003, 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Annie Hall Title:
The Minstrel Boy

Artist: Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros (from Black Hawk Down).
I don't really want to tag this just yet...any takers???
Old 01-23-2003, 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BubbaStrangelove
Pulp "The Fear" - Wow! This song is really.... big. It's hard to explain, but, you know, it's really grand. I like songs that sound like this. It's much different than the Pulp I'm familar with. Great pick , BCV!
I wholeheartedly recommend the whole album Bub, "This is Hardcore" is probably their finest hour...theatrical, grand, seedy and quite unique. Glad you appreciated it.
Old 01-23-2003, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BadCoverVersion
I don't really want to tag this just yet...any takers???

I'll give it a whirl. Just lemme finish DL'ing. Not all of us are blessed with Hi-speed net access.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:44 PM
Annie was right, this is depressing but in that very rousing, spiritual, romanticized way.

Must be an Irish song

This is just the kind of song I'd expect in a Bruckheimer produced film. The military drum beat running through the song, as well as the bag pipes which we usually here in funeral processions of police officers and fireman (men who sacrifice their lives for the public), it's all so blatantly patriotic, but nothing's wrong with that.

But the song is much more saddening since it's our dearly departed Joe Strummer delivering the vocals.

Ok, my turn:

Artist Boss Hog

Song Trouble
Old 01-24-2003, 12:54 AM
I looked for this one on kazaa but no cigar. I'm going to download minstrel boy right now for fun. oh and Annie hall check out that siren song posted awhile ago its right up your alley.
Old 01-24-2003, 12:59 AM
I miss Joe Strummer.

This song made me feel sad and fuzzy inside all at once. Very moving and somber yet its got Joes wonderful voice rising above it all to tell us the story of the minstrel. Thanks Annie.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:01 AM
*Tag*

Got it downloading right now
Old 01-24-2003, 01:10 AM
Trouble by Boss Hog

I liked this little ditty. For some reason I could totally see it playing behind an episode of Scooby Doo as Shaggy and scooby doo run away from some spooky villian. The lead singers voice is really nice and the music is great too.

I heard a request for more Nick Cave so I''ll get sappy here and put out one of his sappier tunes that still gets me by the throat

Nick Cave

Black Hair
Old 01-24-2003, 01:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bowieee
oh and Annie hall check out that siren song posted awhile ago its right up your alley.
Thanks for suggesting it, bowieee...it is quite a beautiful song, and I wouldn't have found it if it weren't for your suggesting me look at SIREN's post. Thanks, mate
Old 01-24-2003, 01:21 AM
*TAG* on this one
Old 01-24-2003, 01:28 AM
Interesting song, as I've said before...Nick Cave usually isn't my bag, but this is a very lovely song...and quite romantic in sound. Not at all like his usual music, which frankly scares me a bit at times . Nice pick, bowieee...this opened my mind up a bit to his music, perhaps I'll have to look for some more of his "sappier" songs (to use your words). I'll be listening to this one again. This is also one of the first times I've liked his voice...new stuff happenin' all over the place.

Here is a fun song that I enjoy...a lot of you will have heard this one, but hell, it's always a treat for me.

Song: Little Green Bag

Artist: George Baker Selection

...a bit of a change in tone from Minstrel Boy
Old 01-24-2003, 01:30 AM
tag
Old 01-24-2003, 01:56 AM
how cool is this song,the intro just oozes class you feel like putting on shades and dressing in a black suit,but just as you start to relax it changes direction when the trumpets kick in followed by a great singalong chorus,and then the jazzy interlude takes us back to the shades and suits ,its a song full of twist and turns i can see why tarentino picked it for resevoir dogs it exudes cool and a bit of mischeif at the same time.
great song i enjoyed that, had heard it before but never knew what it was called or who it was by.

ok something a little more relaxing

deacon blue-dignity

a nice tune with a great story in the lyrics
Old 01-24-2003, 10:03 AM
tAG! WEEEHOOO I'm back in the saddle again!
Old 01-24-2003, 10:15 AM
Deacon Blue-Dignity

Very nice. Mellow and pleasantly reminiscent of some of the good eighties bands like The Outfield. I liked the lyrics (quite nostalic) and thought the melody was catchy and singable (always a plus for me). I'll definitely be checking this band out again. Thanks Paul.

Next Pick

My favorite RHCP song, often overlooked (crank it up baby!)

Taste the Pain
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Old 01-24-2003, 11:11 AM
*TAG*
Old 01-24-2003, 11:16 AM
Wow, this song was utterly and completely crazy...brilliant choice, Siren. It was (how I hate using this word) a bit "trippy", which I really enjoyed. I'll certainly be listening to this'n when I can crank up the song and not be yelled at for making noise. Am I the only one who wants to hook up some lava lamps and have a party? Great choice, thanks Siren.

Here's a song that's a bit different....if you tend to dislike the popular songs from this band (Crash, Space Between...etc.) (which unfortunately many schmoes do), then I would suggest giving this one a chance.

Song: The Best of What's Around

Band: Dave Matthews Band

...not my all-time favorite by DMB, but it is a really great song.
Old 01-24-2003, 11:23 AM
tag
Old 01-24-2003, 12:12 PM
well i have not really heard that much of this band so have not really been able to form much of an opinion,but this is a nice relaxing mellow tune,he has a really distinctive voice that really suits the song although it will take a few listens to,to really make out a lot of the lyrics but what you can make out is really good.
the music is very good too a few twists and changes in their and the sax solo near the end is really nice,you just dont get much sax these days in music and it is a great instrument in the right tune.perfect fodder for sitting around reading the papers and having playing in the background.the vertion i am listening to is a live one so that is a bonus too,the guy can really sing his stuff.

ok i have been trying to push my fave bands on people in here(if bcv can push pulp,then i am pushin the roses) so here's another of their's,this one is very unlike anything else they have done and the guitar solo at the end is the best i have ever heard live.

so here it is
the stone roses-i am the resurrection
Old 01-24-2003, 01:25 PM
*TAG*
Old 01-24-2003, 02:01 PM
I am the ressurection / The stone roses

Well, I downloaded this twice because the first version was live and I could barely hear the vocals. But it was also kinda misleading because it sounded like a lot more of a rock song live, maybe it was the really good guitar solo at the end. Anyway, when I downloaded the album version I was a little dissapointed since it seemed to be a bit more like the english pop of the 60's that I've never been a big fan of. However, it was catchy and I love that I finally heard this band since I've been hearing of them forever. The end of the song made me want to get my go-go boots out...not a bad thing but not exactly my cup-o'-tea either. I'd wager they're better live, huh?

Since I'm trying to do a male/female/male/female thing I'll switch to a sweet little tune I've always loved by one of my very favorite artists of all time. Her lyrics mean so much to me.

Next Pick:

A Case of You by Joni Mitchell
Old 01-24-2003, 02:48 PM
TAG
Old 01-24-2003, 03:51 PM
Joni Mitchell - A Case Of You...

This is the good stuff. A fragile guitar line and beautiful voice singing a song that relates a tale of love gone wrong that is lyrically poetic and enormously affecting. I've never heard Joni Mitchell before (that i'm aware of) but this is simply gorgeous and from this one song I am able to glean the notion that she has been a massive influence on many of the female singer/songwriters that I love.. I'll be buying the "Blue" album upon which the track features. Thanks Siren60. I'm always up for a little bit of education.

As for my choice...shit, this is tough.

Band - Afghan Whigs

Song - What Jail Is Like
Old 01-24-2003, 04:25 PM
I'm still looking, Psycho!
Old 01-24-2003, 06:39 PM
I was gonna tag this but can't find the song on Kazaa or Winmx...you might want to switch your song?
Old 01-24-2003, 06:42 PM
That's odd. I checked frequently with both Kazaa and WinMX before choosing my song and found it every time. If no one has found it within the next hour or so then i'll change it.
Old 01-24-2003, 07:06 PM
tag its downloading for me
Old 01-24-2003, 07:35 PM
i liked this the lyrics were very clear and deliberatly well thought out,starts off very smoothly a bit reminicent to an rem kind of sound but it soon breaks out into its own sound,the piano sets it out from a lot of songs of this type gives it a different sound completly,the singers voice goes very well with the song,and just when you think it is playing it safe a rousing chorus kicks in backed up by some great drummin.
i liked this a lot never heard of them before.

and my choice is

gomez,whippin piccadilly

if you put it into kazaa like that it should come out first time i have checked
Old 01-24-2003, 07:44 PM
TAG! be back in two shakes of a lamb's tail.
Old 01-24-2003, 08:06 PM
Gomez are pop craft that hasn't been matched in a looooong time. Hate to compare them to anyone, but there are WAYY too many resemblances to newer Blur. The over production, which seems wayy out of place here, is my only complaint with the song. Its seems silly to go all out in space when you're dealing with music that'd sound best out of the back of a pick up truck..!

Either way, piccadilly, in all its fake cactus boogie glory, comes across as easy-going, rootsy...FUN. Looove that shit.

lets go for an oldie:

Lonnie Jonson & Victoria Spivey- Dope Head Blues
Old 01-24-2003, 08:11 PM
I'm back from work and ready to download!

But...

I can't find a trace of this song nor its title anywhere on kazaa
Old 01-24-2003, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Annie Hall
Interesting song, as I've said before...Nick Cave usually isn't my bag, but this is a very lovely song...and quite romantic in sound. Not at all like his usual music, which frankly scares me a bit at times . Nice pick, bowieee...this opened my mind up a bit to his music, perhaps I'll have to look for some more of his "sappier" songs (to use your words). I'll be listening to this one again. This is also one of the first times I've liked his voice...new stuff happenin' all over the place.

Here is a fun song that I enjoy...a lot of you will have heard this one, but hell, it's always a treat for me.

Song: Little Green Bag

Artist: George Baker Selection

...a bit of a change in tone from Minstrel Boy

Pretty much all of the boatmans call is sappy in a good way. I would start there on your journey to discovering more Nick Cave Annie.
Old 01-24-2003, 08:16 PM
FUCK! I had it on kazaa a second ago.. that SUCKS.

okay, try Claire, By Fairground Attraction.
Old 01-24-2003, 08:30 PM
Ok played catch up just to see all the new music everyone has put out there.

Whippin, Gomez. I really like this song. It's unique and catchy. It is making its way to my play list for awhile!

What Jail is like, Afghan Whigs. Nice Guitars and a voice screeching above the warbles and crashes that all comes together into one very enjoyable package. Especially like the piano pounding away in the background. Adds that special touch.

A Case of You, Joni Mitchel. Joni, Joni, Joni. What a voice. It's like a bird singing to you about all the beautiful things its seen. Plus the song mentions Canada. I'm a big fan of Canada so that automatically qualifies this one for an A in my book.

I am the Ressurection, Stone Roses.
This sounds kind of like belle and sebastian yet not. A charming little song that makes me wish for sunny days and a big grassy field to lay in and listen to it to.

Taste the Pain, RHCP. Ah RHCP. One of the best bands I have ever seen live. Watching flea hitting his base as john wails on his guitar and anthony crooning into the mic is close to a heavenly experience. This is a classic song with a funk filled backbone and good lyrics. Anthony is a excellent lyricst and alot of people over look that for the funk and I think thats a shame.

Deacon Blue, Dignity. This song sounds like a cooler solo paul simon. Very mellow yet the singer comes across with a presense that made me wan to listen closer to what he wanted to say. A perfect driving up into the mountains song.

Little green Bag, George Baker: Where are my sunglasses when i need them. Reminded me to wash the blood off my black suit
Anyways a classic song that could bring the cool out of even richard simmons.
Old 01-24-2003, 08:31 PM
I can't find "Claire." I hope she's OK. God, that was a pitiful attempt at humor.
Old 01-24-2003, 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Romero&Juliet
FUCK! I had it on kazaa a second ago.. that SUCKS.

okay, try Claire, By Fairground Attraction.
I got like 20 songs by them but no claire turned up, maybe its just where I'm at.
Old 01-24-2003, 08:37 PM
errrrrg~!

Okay, try Terraplane Blues, By Robert Johnson.
Old 01-24-2003, 08:41 PM
Tag!
Old 01-24-2003, 08:53 PM
Robert Johnson is a blue god. Putting on his records is a one way ticket to musical heaven. It's amazing how big of an impact this guy had on blues when you look at the small amount of songs he actually recorded. Oh and I really like this song. John lee hooker played it live and I almost pooped my pants. An amazing moment in my concert history. Great pick Romero!

A little female folk song:

Crazy Mary

by Victoria Williams ( NOT the pearl jam version where they sing with her, its ok but nowhere near like the original)
Old 01-24-2003, 08:57 PM
one more tag before i go to bed