Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Music
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2003, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by paul calf
everytime i listen to tom waits i cannot help but smile,this guy sounds like your drunken grandad,his music is just so easy to listen too after having a few beers and just singing along.this one i have'nt heard before and is really fun,reminds me a bit of lee marvin for some reason or the guy who lives in the dustbin in sesame street,i am going to keep listening to this one for a while.and may even learn it for a pissed up kareoke session.

right my choice

right a new one for you to try

john squire

transatlantic near death experience
Funny you should mention Lee Marvin. Tom waits and some friends started a club, I forget what they were called but their sole purpose was to sit and watch Lee Marvin movies.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:01 PM
Having a bit of a problem finding this particular track on either Kazaa or WinMX. I am getting some hitsd on John Squire tracks from his recent album but no this one. Even then i'm only getting one or at the very most two sources for each song. It's kind of a matter of timing with these things though. I'll keep trying.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:05 PM
i should have checked first i had a look cannot find it either try i miss you i found that on kazaa
Old 01-27-2003, 07:45 PM
John Squire - I Miss You

Shades of Americana with this one. Although not technically a gifted singer I quite like his voice. It suits the song well. Full of character and I can see where the Bob Dylan comparisons came from. The song whilst not in the same league as anthing from the highpoint of his career that is the Stone Roses debut album (except perhaps for "Don't Stop", a song that always grated with me and I think the album would have benefited from it's absence) is better than about half of The Second Coming and pretty much anything from The Seahorses album (except Blinded By The Sun). However, it's not a strong enough song to make me buy the album. I'll keep trying to get Transatlantic Near Death Experience. I'm assuming that since that was your first choice from the album that it's a stronger song.

Anyway...here we go again...

Band - Whipping Boy

Track - Twinkle

(You may have to click "Search More" to find this one on Kazaa...but it is there)

Last edited by Psychocandy; 01-27-2003 at 07:49 PM..
Old 01-27-2003, 07:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Psychocandy
Always a pleasure to make the aquaintance of another Dinosaur Jr fan. "Where You Been" is one of my top ten favorite albums of the Nineties. J Mascis is terribly underated as both a songwriter and musician. If you haven't already you should definitely treat yourself to his two albums as J Mascis & The Fog. They are called "More Light" and "Free So Free". The title track on "More Light" is stunningly intense. Basically it's like a storm of guitar feedback out of which Mascis' vocals slowly surface. It's at least a minute before you realise that that noise deep down in the mix is actually Mascis singing. Absolutely blinding.
So wierd to have to go all the way to Scotland to find another Dinosaur Jr. fan. So few around here. Very underrated musician I agree. Very familiar with all his stuff, for the most part. Did you like the the 'furry little things' ep and the earlier stuff as well? And I loved Martin and Me. His version of Anticipation was so fun and kooky. Feel free to talk to me some more about him. Noone around HERE to do that with...
Old 01-27-2003, 07:49 PM
Oh, and tag
Old 01-27-2003, 07:52 PM
Tried to find the song Psychocandy but ended up with nada. I tried like 4 times and still got nothing.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:53 PM
Well someone got it I see
Old 01-27-2003, 07:58 PM
Actually, bowiee I thought I had it but it was a song called Train, not twinkle. ANything else?
Old 01-27-2003, 08:09 PM
Quote:
John Squire - I Miss You

Shades of Americana with this one. Although not technically a gifted singer I quite like his voice. It suits the song well. Full of character and I can see where the Bob Dylan comparisons came from. The song whilst not in the same league as anthing from the highpoint of his career that is the Stone Roses debut album (except perhaps for "Don't Stop", a song that always grated with me and I think the album would have benefited from it's absence) is better than about half of The Second Coming and pretty much anything from The Seahorses album (except Blinded By The Sun). However, it's not a strong enough song to make me buy the album. I'll keep trying to get Transatlantic Near Death Experience. I'm assuming that since that was your first choice from the album that it's a stronger song.

a lot of people mention the bob dylan thing and i can see ittakes a bit of getting used to,and dont stop is very weak,but i am one of those freaky people who prefer the second coming,and did'nt mind the seahorses,the album is good in parts and a little disjointed in others,your right though i like the first song i mentioned better,i am going to see him on sunday night so will be able to check out his voice live.

Last edited by paul calf; 01-27-2003 at 08:13 PM..
Old 01-27-2003, 08:10 PM
I did what you said and clicked on Search More and everything but its still not coming up...sorry.
Old 01-27-2003, 08:19 PM
Hmm. Perhaps it depends upon which server you get connected to or something. Ah well. Try this instead.

Band - The Jayhawks

Song - Somewhere In Ohio
Old 01-27-2003, 08:38 PM
Tagarooni
Old 01-27-2003, 08:52 PM
A very poppy song but not in a sickening way. In a want to drive on a road trip and sing it with some friends kind of way. The Lyrics are good and the music in the background is simple but interesting at the same time. At first I thought it was going to turn into techno but thankfully it didn't and this charming song followed the intro beats. The imagery plays out really well through the lyrics. I like this one alot. Thanks Psychocandy.

Virginia reel around

Halo benders

(The full title is Virginia reel around the fountain but its always abbreviated on kazaa )
Old 01-28-2003, 01:19 AM
Still searching...it's getting late, so I'm getting fewer matches on Kazaa...
Old 01-28-2003, 01:23 AM
Annie did you check out any more cohen? If you do let me know what you thought I'm always interested of peoples opinions on the mans work.
Old 01-28-2003, 01:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bowieee
Annie did you check out any more cohen? If you do let me know what you thought I'm always interested of peoples opinions on the mans work.
I did download some of his stuff. It's fantastic...especially Sisters of Mercy. Thanks so much for giving me suggestions
Old 01-28-2003, 11:19 AM
tag
Old 01-28-2003, 11:31 AM
Virgina Reel Around-Halo Benders

This song is so different. It reminds me of a complicated mix of the Cure (the bassline) and The Butthole Surfers (the recurring spoken voice sounded very similar to them) with a smooth pop vocal that finished it off nicely. I was swinging my head around on this one and will definitely listen to it again. Thanks bowiee.

Next Pick: time for another female....

The Gathering-Nightime Birds (might have to enter Night time Birds)

Last edited by SIREN30; 01-28-2003 at 11:40 AM..
Old 01-28-2003, 11:55 AM
Tag
Old 01-28-2003, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by SIREN30
Virgina Reel Around-Halo Benders

This song is so different. It reminds me of a complicated mix of the Cure (the bassline) and The Butthole Surfers (the recurring spoken voice sounded very similar to them) with a smooth pop vocal that finished it off nicely. I was swinging my head around on this one and will definitely listen to it again. Thanks bowiee.

Next Pick: time for another female....

The Gathering-Nightime Birds (might have to enter Night time Birds)
The Halo Benders are definetly different. Its a collaboration between doug maurtch from built to spill and calvin from beat happening. Both play completely different styles of music so together it blends together in a strange way. But it works for me . Downloading Nightbirds right now.

Last edited by bowieee; 01-28-2003 at 12:05 PM..
Old 01-28-2003, 12:11 PM
The Gathering... Nighttime birds.

I'm relistening to this song right now. I'm not quite sure if I like it yet. The lead singers voice is really nice but the song sounds kind of plain to me. For some reason the song sounds like background noise and doesn't pull me into it where I can enjoy it. But I can tell they have talent but their just not my flavor. Thanks for the pick Siren!

A band probably every one is familiar with, but a song I only discovered last week and I've been listening to it alot lately.

Sonic Youth

Santa doesn't cope out on dope
Old 01-28-2003, 12:20 PM
Tag
Old 01-28-2003, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Annie Hall
I did download some of his stuff. It's fantastic...especially Sisters of Mercy. Thanks so much for giving me suggestions
Not a problem. I personally am a bigger fan of his later stuff which alot different then his original folky roots but pretty much all of it is awe inspiring. If you are feeling brave check out his book beautiful losers. I've read it twice and I still have the urge to reread randomly. The reason I said if your feeling brave because it can be a little extreme at times and might offend some people but I love it.
Old 01-28-2003, 01:00 PM
Sonic Youth - Santa Doesn't Cop Out On Dope

Well now. Jesus Crazy Christ that was a squalling mess of a song. I'm a big fan of Sonic Youth but I have to draw a line somewhere. It was funny and I will use it to torture my friends sometime but I can't honestly say with any conviction that I will ever listen to that song for pleasure. Then again...knowing Sonic Youth and their contrary ways they never intended for anyone to listen to it for pleasure. I'm not adverse to the odd bit of feedback (my love of The Jesus & Mary Chain's "Psychocandy" album surely attests to that) but there has to be some kind of groove. A melody behind the noise that I can hang onto (even this isn't entirely true...I love the last couple of tracks on Ministry's "Psalm 69" album and they are little more than storms of feedback with nary a melody or hook in sight).

Anyway...my next choice...

Band - Whiskeytown

Song - 16 Days
Old 01-28-2003, 01:03 PM
*tagalingadingdong*
Old 01-28-2003, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Sonic Youth - Santa Doesn't Cop Out On Dope

Well now. Jesus Crazy Christ that was a squalling mess of a song. I'm a big fan of Sonic Youth but I have to draw a line somewhere. It was funny and I will use it to torture my friends sometime but I can't honestly say with any conviction that I will ever listen to that song for pleasure. Then again...knowing Sonic Youth and their contrary ways they never intended for anyone to listen to it for pleasure. I'm not adverse to the odd bit of feedback (my love of The Jesus & Mary Chain's "Psychocandy" album surely attests to that) but there has to be some kind of groove. A melody behind the noise that I can hang onto (even this isn't entirely true...I love the last couple of tracks on Ministry's "Psalm 69" album and they are little more than storms of feedback with nary a melody or hook in sight).

Anyway...my next choice...

Band - Whiskeytown

Song - 16 Days
I love the background music Maybe I just like that type of grinding guitar. It reminds me of an electric velvet underground. Plus the song makes me smile.
Old 01-28-2003, 01:09 PM
Whiskeytown-16 days

Really good stuff. Actually sounds a little, music-wise, like The Cowboy Junkies. Sometimes they throw a western twang to their folk sound which works really well. Vocals are very good similar to Adam Duritz (who does have a great voice though I'm not a Counting Crows fan) but w/ the soul of the Allman Brothers. The version I listened to was the acoustic version. The album version may be a little more rocknroll but I liked this just fine. Good lyrics too.

Next Pick:

Something's Gotta Give-Sammy Davis Jr. (can also try somethin's gotta give, something's got to give etc.)

Last edited by SIREN30; 01-28-2003 at 01:12 PM..
Old 01-28-2003, 01:16 PM
Tag
Old 01-28-2003, 01:21 PM
Wheres a Martini when you need one?

This was all vegas and I was loving every minute of it. Every time I hear a Sammy Davis Song I like it yet I never buy any of his stuff. Whats the matter with me? Someday after I get down my wish list that grows with every post on this thread. I think I need to get a second job to support my music buying

Next up a mellow little groove

The dark is rising

Mercury Rev
Old 01-28-2003, 01:26 PM
I just wanted to review whiskeytown for fun.

I like this song. The vocals are really good and the tempo makes the song for me. The slow speed up in the background as the singer sings makes the song a charming little ditty. Thanks Pyschocandy!
Old 01-28-2003, 01:26 PM
hey, just a completely off-topic question. Do any of you other schmoes get mental pictures of what your fellow members look like just from their username and posts? I totally do...I wonder how accurate I am. Probably totally off...would it be out of the way to ask you guys to post a short description of yourself?
Old 01-28-2003, 01:28 PM
Tag
Old 01-28-2003, 01:57 PM
Mercury Rev - The Dark Is Rising

This song is just beautiful. The opening swell and the calm that decends as the symphony fades and the piano and vocal take over is just such an amazing start to a song. I've read a number of reviews over at Amazon wherein the reviewers express their dislike of Jonathan Donahue's vocals. Bullshit. His voice bears comparison to that of the great Neil Young and is a perfect fit for Mercury Rev's music. I've actually had the pleasure of seeing them live when they were touring Deserter's Songs. Their performance was epically magnificent and sent more than a few shivers up my spine. An amazing band. An amazing song.

Ok...here goes...an old fave...

Band - Lloyd Cole And The Commotions

Song - Rattlesnakes
Old 01-28-2003, 02:02 PM
*tag*
Old 01-28-2003, 02:23 PM
Once again reviewing for fun. I can't pass up any of your picks psychocandy because 9 times out of ten I'm a happy camper when I hear them. Llyod Cole, I love that man. He has so much talant and is so sorely looked over by the masses. He has a style that is completely his and a voice that would make Jim Morrison envy. I was allready a fan of this song but downloaded it anyways to have it on my computer. A trip down memory lane. Thanks Psychocandy

Oh and have you heard the tori amos version? It's really good.
Old 01-28-2003, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by SIREN30
hey, just a completely off-topic question. Do any of you other schmoes get mental pictures of what your fellow members look like just from their username and posts? I totally do...I wonder how accurate I am. Probably totally off...would it be out of the way to ask you guys to post a short description of yourself?

For some weird reason I don't picture schmoes I just kind of pigeon hole their "personalities". It's strange. As for your request I hate describing myself because I always think it sounds cheesy when someone describes themselves on the internet but I'll do it anyways. I'm 6'2 with longer brown hair, brown eyes, with a fondness for wearing furry jackets with shorts.
Old 01-28-2003, 02:44 PM
OMG bowiee....that's EXACTLY how I pictured you! lol. Just kidding. I favor Bridget Fonda (I wish it was Jane in her Barbarella days) and I only say that cuz this is a movie site and it's easier. But I guess I do.

ANyway,

Rattlesnakes-Lloyd Cole

This song is SO much better by Tori Amos. Sorry, but I hate this guy's voice...reminds of Morrissey who I really have an aversion to for the most part. I still really love the song. I just heard it first by her so it's how I'll always prefer it, I guess.

Speaking of Tori, here's my favorite of her songs:

next Pick:

Here in My head-Tori Amos
Old 01-28-2003, 02:48 PM
Tag
Old 01-28-2003, 02:56 PM
What album is this off of?

I really liked this song. I used to fall asleep to little eartquakes all of my 9th grade year. This song sounds like it was taken straight of that album. Tori amos is hit and miss with me. Some stuff I either love or don't care for their is no middle ground. This song falls smack dab in the love it category.

by the way Siren have you heard the version of Silent all these years with leanord Cohen reading a poem before it as an intro? It adds so much to the song and its only like an extra 15 seconds of cohen speaking.

New Song:

The Saddest story ever told

The Magnetic fields