Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Music
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2003, 08:45 AM
I've been meaning to get introduced to the Breeders for some time now, I own most of the Pixies collection so it was a fucking logical step, I suppose.

Oh!, I feel, retains that typically Pixie sound, resonating guitar lines and lovely vocals. I like how the vocals come on with the first beat of the drum. Its warm and welcoming, and poetic in that underlining repetition of...

Push me down
Push me down
Push me down

It's actually a very nice little track, and an excellent starting point it would seem, thanks Romero.

The Breeders were out here in Australia for the first time, in what, something like ten years, so I'm a little disapointed now that I didn't ignite my initiation a little earlier and gone off to see them.

Okay, next up then.

Huggy Bear -- Pansy Twist

OR

The Avalanches -- Run DNA (or Undersea Community)

I don't know how easy those tracks will be to find, but I got my hands on them relatively easily on WinMX.
Old 05-16-2003, 08:56 AM
TAGGITY TAG
Old 05-16-2003, 09:05 AM
hUGGY bEAR=pANSY tWIST

Very cool. Very authentic. Sounds a bit like Iggy and the Stooges w/ the same kind of sophomoric fun. Yeah, this is good stuff. Much better than I was expecting...I'm bobbin' my head at this exact moment. Here I go to find more of this stuff...

Next Pick

Pink Floyd-Mother (there are few things in the history of music half as pretty as that moment when David Gilmore's vocals come into this song....sigh.)
Old 05-16-2003, 09:45 AM
TAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGG
Old 05-16-2003, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Romero&Juliet
one of my favorite Smiths songs.. the ever used theme of Morrissey's seedy, sexual endeavours are always a treat..GREAT pick, Steve..!! I think I'll have a little dance to this later on this evening.. No school tomorrow..
i found this song in a search. i love the beautiful music mixed with morbid lyrics. and by the way, i don't have school today either

SHIVER ME TIMBERS

Last edited by stevereno; 05-16-2003 at 01:28 PM..
Old 05-16-2003, 02:36 PM
Electriclite seems to be a little bit missing in action so i'm gonna steal this tag. Be back in a bit.
Old 05-16-2003, 02:59 PM
Sorry it took me so long, but I had a dominoe effect of problems trying to listen to this song. I wont bore you with the full story, just my review

I've slowly been trying to get into Pink Floyd. Sometimes tehy can be a bit too experimental for my regular tastes and then other times they've got the goods. "Mother" is of the latter.

Why can't they write angst like this nowadays?! The whole feeling of this song is an encapsulation of of the feelings of innocent hope that we have when we're kids and the bitterness that comes when we grow up. You're right Siren, that's a great voice. It kinda disapears a bit in parts but still has that edge and carried the song through these different emotional peaks and valleys. A fine song.

Ok, I'd love for someone to take a listen to this song:

Imani Coppola - One of these days

but if you can't get a hold of it:

The Rolling Stones - Sweet Virginia

Last edited by electriclite; 05-16-2003 at 03:23 PM..
Old 05-16-2003, 03:53 PM
Tag
Old 05-16-2003, 05:29 PM
The Rolling Stones - Sweet Virginia

I'm a huge Rolling Stones fan. Being such i'm not particularly proud of the fact that i'm not particularly familiar with Exile On Main Street but therein lies a story. I have a friend. He's a student. He's also a thieving bastard. I bought Exile On Main Street many years ago and listened to it a couple of times. One night there comes a knock at the door. It's my friend. The student. The thieving bastard student. We talk some and then he notices my copy of Exile On Main Street sitting next to my stereo. He asks if he can borrow it to tape it. I, being the spirit of generosity and pretty fucking stupid at the same time, let him borrow it. I never saw the fucking CD again. It disappeared into the cesspit of a student flat in which he resided never to return. I never got round to buying another copy. Anyway...this is a damn fine song. For a period that stretched from the mid-sixties through to the early seventies The Rolling Stones did no wrong. Along with No Expectations and Sympathy For The Devil (and a handful more) this has immediately become one of my favorite Stones tracks. Cheers Electriclite. As Arrow would say. Good shite!!!

Anyway...next up...

Band - The Jesus & Mary Chain

Song - Snakedriver
Old 05-16-2003, 06:05 PM
TAG!

SHIVER ME TIMBERS
Old 05-16-2003, 06:22 PM
SNAKEDRIVER: wow, great song Psychocandy! i've havent heard any songs by "jesus and mary chainsaw" before but i think i should start. I think i'll probably listen to this song on a daily basis. It has a nice ROCK pace to it. Its hard to describe, it sounds like every other mid 90's song.....but more catchy (im not making any sense again.) basicly what im trying to say is i like it and i'll probably check out more of "jesus and mary chainsaw" stuff.

next: "kiss me deadly" GENERATION X

SHIVER ME TIMBERS
Old 05-16-2003, 06:24 PM
Tag

Glad you enjoyed the Jesus & Mary Chain track. It's not even close to their best (it just so happened to be the last track of theirs I listened to). Check out the following tracks if you want to hear more of their stuff.

April Skies
Happy When It Rains
Reverence
Sidewalking
Teenage Lust

That's a mighty fine starter. If you like these it's likely you'll like everything else.

Last edited by Psychocandy; 05-16-2003 at 06:34 PM..
Old 05-16-2003, 06:33 PM
hey thanks psychocandy! i just added them to my "to download" list. when i get a chance to download them i'll tell you my thoughts

SHIVER ME TIMBERS
Old 05-16-2003, 06:46 PM
Generation X - Kiss Me Deadly

Fuck. I've never heard any Generation X (ignoring the obvious ode to wanking 'Dancing With Myself'). I have heard a whole bunch of solo Billy Idol stuff and found it mainly appealing (I still think his Charmed Life album is a flawed work of unsung genius). This is pretty damn good though. It's not a work of glittering genius or anything. It's just a good little rock song. It's funny that we should go from my choice of The Jesus & Mary Chain to Billy Idol. Their third album 'Automatic' has quite often been accused of sounding a little like Billy Idol. This is pretty good stuff Stevereno. Cheers.

Oh...and welcome to this thread. It's a lot of fun and it's always good to see a new face contributing.

Next up...

Band - Jane's Addiction

Song - Summertime Rolls

Last edited by Psychocandy; 05-16-2003 at 06:55 PM..
Old 05-16-2003, 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Psychocandy
Generation X - Kiss Me Deadly

Fuck. I've never heard any Generation X (ignoring the obvious ode to wanking 'Dancing With Myself'). I have heard a whole bunch of solo Billy Idol stuff and found it mainly appealing (I still think his Charmed Life album is a flawed work of unsung genius). This is pretty damn good though. It's not a work of glittering genius or anything. It's just a good little rock song. It's funny that we should go from my choice of The Jesus & Mary Chain to Billy Idol. Their third album 'Automatic' has quite often been accused of sounding a little like Billy Idol. This is pretty good stuff Stevereno. Cheers.

Oh...and welcome to this thread. It's a lot of fun and it's always good to see a new face contributing.

Next up...

Band - Jane's Addiction

Song - Summertime Rolls
Thats my fave of janes addiction stuff so I won't tag it due to being able to recite it in my sleep, but great pick
Old 05-16-2003, 09:54 PM
The TA-TA-TAG took my baby a...wa...y...
Old 05-16-2003, 10:15 PM
Song: Summertime Rolls
Artist: Jane's Addiction

This is definitely a song I like from the get-go, but it's going to take time to grow on me. Like almost all of the music I like, it's rare for me to fall in love with a song straight-out. It usually takes a few days of listening to it to get an accurate feel for how I will like it from there-on-in. I really enjoyed this song, for what I can at this point, and will DEFINITELY listen to it more. It's hard to really give what I'll think of it for the most part, but as of now, it's a top notch song that I'll be trying to get my grasp on in the next few days. Thanks for the pick, it's right up my alley.

Song: Pink Moon
Artist: Nick Drake
Old 05-17-2003, 03:25 AM
Tag tha dog.
Old 05-17-2003, 05:07 AM
This is such a beautifully so soft and lyrical, there's a real lucid sound in his singing of the title. Stunning. I bought the album, and unfortunately it had a large banner across it reading "Pink Moon as seen on the Voltzwagon ads", it was just a little too pro globilization for me, so I'm searching out a copy on vinyl.

Good choice.

Erm...

Cat Power -- Cross Bones Style
Old 05-17-2003, 08:21 AM
Tag
Old 05-17-2003, 10:12 AM
Cat Power - Cross Bones Style

I actually own the Moon Pix album from which this track is taken. Been a long, long time since I gave it a listen though. This song bears a rather sinister signature that appeals to me. It's pretty simple but the combination of spooky background music, the lead vocals and the lyrics make for a pretty astonishing little song. The multi-tracking of the vocals is also a very effective method of creating a sort of discordance within the song that works very well in it's favour. Love this. Fucking love it. Cheers.

Next up...

Artist - P J Harvey

Song - Big Exit
Old 05-17-2003, 03:34 PM
tag
Old 05-17-2003, 04:24 PM

PJ Harvey - Big Exit

This is a fine song. It had good use of guitars and drums and the vocals were very impressive. The only nit-pick I have is that the music is too loud, forcing PJ Harvey to sing even louder and I felt it would've been better had she had sung normally. Maybe not.. it doesn't sound bad this way, actually. I liked especially the singing during the verses rather than the chorus. It's quite complex and multi-layered and this gives it a lot of replay value. It reminded me kinda of The White Stripes.. because of the hammering of the guitars and the uniform drumming. I liked it very much PC.. thanks as usual.

I heard this on the radio again and had to pick it..

Talking Heads - Take Me To The River
Old 05-17-2003, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by areyoubeingserved
This is such a beautifully so soft and lyrical, there's a real lucid sound in his singing of the title. Stunning. I bought the album, and unfortunately it had a large banner across it reading "Pink Moon as seen on the Voltzwagon ads", it was just a little too pro globilization for me, so I'm searching out a copy on vinyl.

Good choice.

Erm...

Cat Power -- Cross Bones Style
I Loooove this song It was my first pick ever for the original song of the week threads way back when.

Oh and tag
Old 05-17-2003, 07:18 PM
Byrne is the White Man's James Brown in his own unique way. The man was a gift to Rock and roll and this famous cover is filled with spirit. I have always liked this song and it's my second favorite cover of the Al Green song just barely beat out by Lou Reeds version. It's chimes and Byrnes soulful voice singing sweetly through the mellow funk makes my day. Great pick bakethemoocow thanks

Fish Bird

Tom Waits
Old 05-17-2003, 09:48 PM
TAG

SHIVER ME TIMBERS
Old 05-17-2003, 10:00 PM
Fish Bird: this song sounds like an opera song. this isn't my song at all. im sure alot of you "tom waits" fans would go ape shit for it, but i'll have to pass. its too slow and depressing. it sounded so dated. like something my sister would listen to back in the 70's as a kid. i didn't really get it. but thats probably the 17 year old kid talking. im still wet behind the ears

new one: "eyes without a face" BILLY IDOL (yes another billy idol song )

SHIVER ME TIMBERS
Old 05-17-2003, 11:21 PM
TAG~!
Old 05-17-2003, 11:46 PM
wierd..

you know, I dont think I've heard that much Idol besides the really popular stuff..

its pretty cool.. Kinda long, but I can live with that..

The enya-ish backround vocals were the LAST thing I was expecting, but it all came together pretty well..

Thanks, Steve!!!

Thanks to Notchreturns, I've been on a HUGE jeff Buckley kick for the past day...

"Your Flesh is So Nice" is a little oddity that came off his "sketches" compilation.. hope you like it!
Old 05-18-2003, 12:17 AM
Tag

I've been wanting to hear more from the Jeff.
Old 05-18-2003, 12:23 AM
The Jeff is a raunchy little bastard when he wants to be.... Woah Totally not what I expected but in a good way. I have new found respect for this dude. I have been eyeing his cd's for awhile but always held back. I don't think I'll be able to resist any more. Plus not only the lyrics but the music sounds dirty and distorted as well which is right up my alley. It's way cool how you think the song is over but no he pulls a switcheroo and brings it back for one more chorus. I liked this little number thanks R&J

Hot chocolate boy

Beat happening

Last edited by bowieee; 05-18-2003 at 12:34 AM..
Old 05-18-2003, 12:48 AM
Tagadoola
Old 05-18-2003, 12:55 AM
bowieee...firstly, I don't know if you got my PM, but that Leonard Cohen song you suggested to me was absolutely BRILLIANT. I'm still in awe of it.

Ok, on to the review...

Hot Chocolate Boy

Why this song is so utterly appealing and interesting is beyond me, after all, it is about someone named Hot Chocolate Boy. But, there's something about it that is very fun and makes you want to kick off your shoes and start doing the twist Mia and Vince style. I enjoyed the contrast between the upbeat music and the very monotone vocals. The drums are also really upbeat. There really is nothing bad about the song, it is what it sets out to be, harmless, fluffy, fun. Like a fruit-flavored ice cream...cool, fun, yummy and it absolutely hits the spot.

Thanks, bowieee.

Ok, next up, why don't we go for a little guilty pleasure joy

Song: Redundant
Artist: Green Day (c'mon, you KNOW you can sing along with When I Come Around, just like me)
Old 05-18-2003, 07:17 AM
Tag
Old 05-18-2003, 08:04 AM
Green Day - Redundant

These pop/punk mongrels have always appealed to me since way back when I borrowed Dookie off a friend. I've kept up with them ever since and they have yet to let me down. With this song they wear their hearts on their sleeves a little bit and the end result is a bittersweet punk pop pill that washes down just fine despite the lump in the throat. Nice one. Cheers Annie.

Next up...

Band - Mazzy Star

Song - Blue Flower
Old 05-18-2003, 10:08 AM
Tag
Old 05-18-2003, 10:11 AM
DAMN!

Wish I could've made it in time..

that's my favorite mazzy star song..
Old 05-18-2003, 10:17 AM
The only Mazzy Star album i own Is tonight so that I may see? and I love it with all my heart. I don't know why I haven't picked up her other albums but thanks for reminding me psychocandy. Now I have a new current mission. If I could pick one voice that sounds the most angelic out of all the voices I have ever heard crooning. This lead singer would be it. This has got to be fucking kick ass live. Top grade stuff Psychocandy thanks yet again

A Little song Iggy did for an outstanding little known Johnny Depp movie caled Arizona Dream. (I'm just trying to out raunch that Jeff Buckley song up above )

In the Death Car

Iggy Pop

(It will sometimes show the artist as a guy named goran. He did the score)
Old 05-18-2003, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Romero&Juliet
DAMN!

Wish I could've made it in time..

that's my favorite mazzy star song..
*cue evil laugh*

Muhahahahahhahahahahhaha

Old 05-18-2003, 10:19 AM
Tag