Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Music
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2003, 04:10 PM
Nick Drake-Fruit Tree

This is a lovely little song. Special lyrics and well crafted. I loved the melody and will keep this one on my li'l playlist. I've never really known much about Nick Drake but he reminds me of the singer-songwriters of the 70's. I'd love to hear more by him.

On a side-thought, Psychocandy, I really liked the Idlewild song. Right up my alley. The vocalist sounds familiar but I don't think I've heard it before. Anyway, it's a nice comfortable song and the lyrics are so great. Aw heck, I'm gonna go listen to it again.

Well, for my next pick I'm gonna do something different and recommend a song by an artist I'm not too particularly fond of...the song itself deserves to be heard. The lyrics are absolutely perfect. If any of you guys want to know what it's like for a woman to hold her newborn child for the first time, this song describes it better than I ever could.

Fiona Apple-Pale September
Old 01-29-2003, 04:36 PM
Tag
Old 01-29-2003, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bowieee
Time slowed down when i heard this song. I could not believe it was only 4 minutes long. I was listening to the lyrics so intently that it seemed epic. What agreat song. The Lyrics are amazing and touching. Plus James's voice is like a blanket engulfing my ears. Wow. This song I am sure I will listen to for days to come. Thank you Paul!
I've missed soooooo much...but I thought I'd comment on some past picks for now.

Great tune...I adore this one, you've got to hear it LIVE...un-bloody-believable. Perfect lyrics and spot-on vocals. I'm actually listening right now (I've nicked me Boyfriends Ipod...

Ooooh I can't wait to get back in the swing of things...the game has taken off BIG-style.
Old 01-29-2003, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Psychocandy
On another subject. There's only about 5 schmoes participating on this thread. There's me, Bowiee, Siren60, BadCoverVersion (sometimes) and Paul Calf.
SOMETIMES!!!

You cheeky swine you...

Naaah, sorry about my absense folks...I've been in London for a few days (Peter Kay at Hammersmith Apollo and visiting my boyfriend). I've bloody MISSED this thread...and don't worry Psycho, I'll be back in the game as soon as...
Old 01-29-2003, 05:13 PM
Siren30

Your right on the money about Nick Drake he is from the 70's.

I downloaded Fionas track for fun. Fiona Apple is one of those artists I can tell has great talent but the music doesn't really interest me. This song went along those same lines. I can tell she has a firm grasp on painting imagery with her lyrics and the music isn't bad but I just can't get into it.

And welcome back BCV hope you had fun wandering around London.
Old 01-29-2003, 05:20 PM
Fiona Apple - Pale September

Can't say i'm a fan of Fiona Apple. I tried. I've heard a whole bunch of her songs and simply failed to make the kind of emotional connection her kind of music demands. That said, this song is nice. Gentle piano and hushed vocals that demand you listen closely. And when you listen closely the song reveals it's true strength in the beautiful and touching lyrics. Yet another song finds a place on my playlist. Keep 'em coming.

For my next song...

Band - Teenage Fanclub

Song - Versimilitude

or, if you can't find this particular number

Song - I Need Direction
Old 01-29-2003, 05:26 PM
*tag*

Thanx Bowieee...It's great to be back!!!
Old 01-29-2003, 05:30 PM
BadCoverVersion...

Heh. So the merry wanderer returns. I'm sure that Peter Kay and a few days with your boyfriend were more enjoyable than any contributions you could have made to this thread. Hope you had a fun time. Welcome back.
Old 01-29-2003, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Siren30

Your right on the money about Nick Drake he is from the 70's.

I downloaded Fionas track for fun. Fiona Apple is one of those artists I can tell has great talent but the music doesn't really interest me. This song went along those same lines. I can tell she has a firm grasp on painting imagery with her lyrics and the music isn't bad but I just can't get into it.

And welcome back BCV hope you had fun wandering around London.
I guess I knew that about Nick Drake but just didnt recall. THe name is all over the place it seems and I still would love to have some recommendations for him.

I am not really into Fiona Apple either. I agree her talent is remarkable but for the most part her music is just nice...maybe it needs honing(sp) or developing. This song was the only one that really hit home w/ me due to my having a baby, I guess.
Old 01-29-2003, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by SIREN30
I guess I knew that about Nick Drake but just didnt recall. THe name is all over the place it seems and I still would love to have some recommendations for him.

I am not really into Fiona Apple either. I agree her talent is remarkable but for the most part her music is just nice...maybe it needs honing(sp) or developing. This song was the only one that really hit home w/ me due to my having a baby, I guess.
Some great Nick Drake songs:

The now famous Pink Moon from that VW commericial

Time of No reply

Hazy Jane

Black eyed dog

are great places to start
Old 01-29-2003, 05:48 PM
Thought I would just chime in on the teenage fan club track. My friend in high School was the biggest fan so I just tagged along for the ride and she introduced this great band to me. I remember seeing them on a Saturday Night Live rerun and remembering driving around in my friends car listening to them. The only album I own of theirs now is Bandwagonesque but I think I'll be expanding that soon.

As far as the song I need direction goes, I loved it

Psychocandy have you heard Teenage fan clubs collaboration with Del la Soul on the judgement night soundtrack? The song is called fallin' Its a guilty pleasure of mine. The same album has Del the funky homosapien rapping with dinosaur Jr. The soundtrack was one of my favorites from high school. Worth checking out since I know your a fan of both bands.
Old 01-29-2003, 06:14 PM

Band - Teenage Fanclub

Song - I Need Direction

Oooooh I know all of ONE tune by Teenage Fanclub, and thatís PERSONALITY CRISIS (Velvet Goldmine ST), apparently not a good indication of the type of music they produce.

I'm afraid I couldn't find Versimilitude Psycho...but I liked this little tune VERY much, reminiscant of soooo many styles, songs and bands, (The La's, The Byrds..even a wee bit sorta Beach Boys) but on the whole, pretty UNIQUE. Reflective, poppy, laid-back, PERFECT summer driving fodder IMO. This one is going on the play-list straight away. I'd definitely like to hear more of the same...

Sorry about the delay btw...It took an AGE to download.

Okay, something different...

Song - Mathilde

Artist - Jacques Brel
Old 01-29-2003, 06:19 PM
tag
Old 01-29-2003, 06:33 PM
I seriously almost chose to take french instead of sign language as my secondary language in college. One of the reasons honestly was so I could listen to brel sing Brel and understand him. not having Bowie sing Brel or Walker sing Brel. When i hear his songs translated into English I'm nothing but floored. I figured Sign Language was important in the field of work I work in but everytime I listen to brel its a reminder that someday I may get off my ass and learn french.

Well on to the song.

I love the background music. I picture a frenchman standing on top of a speeding horse in the middle of an old western movie and singing his lungs out.

This made me bust out my Scott Walker sings Brel cd that I bought and have fallen in love with thanks to the old SOTW threads. Listening to the song translated in English just makes me thank god that he invented poetry and the talent that bloomed from it. Brel I kind of look at as a french tom waits. His subject matter is so similiar sometimes to Waits. Great pick BCV thanks!

Now something a little different

from one of the best concept albums I have ever heard

Madness

by deltron 3030

This song features Sean lennon on back up vocals.
Old 01-29-2003, 06:37 PM
*tag*
Old 01-29-2003, 07:24 PM
Madness by deltron 3030

ok now i think i may have been the wrong person to tag this song,because rap just does'nt do it for me,i can tell this is a good song of this genre the words are great and the rapper seams very good at what he does but to be honest i would'nt really be able to tell the difference between him and most other rappers,the sean lennon peice fits in nicely with the song,and is all put together very well,but not my cup of tea.
all i can say if their are any people out their who like rap then download this and review it properly because i dont feel i could give it an opinion based on other songs of this genre.

ok i feel cheeky taking a turn after my crappy review,but i will.

the happy mondays

bob's yer uncle
this for me sounds nothing like anything they have done before or since,seans voice sounds almost sexy.
Old 01-29-2003, 07:25 PM

*TAG*

I've been out of the game for a while, got a lot of catching-up to do...
Old 01-29-2003, 07:43 PM
I'm *PRE-TAGGING* BadCoverVersion's pick.... I've been out of the games a little too long.

gimme a good one.

Last edited by Romero&Juliet; 01-29-2003 at 07:46 PM..
Old 01-29-2003, 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by paul calf
Madness by deltron 3030

ok now i think i may have been the wrong person to tag this song,because rap just does'nt do it for me,i can tell this is a good song of this genre the words are great and the rapper seams very good at what he does but to be honest i would'nt really be able to tell the difference between him and most other rappers,the sean lennon peice fits in nicely with the song,and is all put together very well,but not my cup of tea.
all i can say if their are any people out their who like rap then download this and review it properly because i dont feel i could give it an opinion based on other songs of this genre.

ok i feel cheeky taking a turn after my crappy review,but i will.

the happy mondays

bob's yer uncle
this for me sounds nothing like anything they have done before or since,seans voice sounds almost sexy.

Sorry Paul I should have forewarned that it was rap. I'm not the biggest rap fan but the stuff del puts out amazes me. I was introduced to him in 8th grade when he played a song with dinosaur jr and I've been following his career since then. Deltron 3030 was entire concept album. Kind of like Bowies Diamond Dogs being modeled after 1984.
Old 01-29-2003, 08:37 PM

The Happy Mondays

Bob's Yer Uncle

Ooooooh Sean does EROTIC, and admittedly, he does it rather well...Its pretty soulful actually, and trippy all the same. You want something a little different for the ol' in-out, stick this on...BOB'S YER UNCLE. "Four fall in a bed, three giving head, one getting wet"...Now that IS slightly worrying when you picture Ryder's ravaged boat-race and his shaky hands, but it doesn't really matter, I LIKE it. Very easy-listening, pictures of baggy pants and heady dancing and colourful stuff...great whistley bit and the female "ooooh-ahs" blend in nicely. Thanks for recommending this one Calf. I've banged it on me playlist, it's a stayer.

Track - Walk like a Panther

Artist - The All Seeing I

You may have heard it before...If so, then go for Plastic Palace People (Scott Walker) or Comic strip (Serge Gainsbourg)...
Old 01-29-2003, 08:43 PM
Plastic Palace people.. I love that song. Walker has become my official drive to work in the morning music.
Old 01-29-2003, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Plastic Palace people.. I love that song. Walker has become my official drive to work in the morning music.
I'm with ya Bowieee...Plastic Palace People is Walker at his most profound (and not in a pretentious, naval-contemplating sense).

I can't keep myself away from the man. There's something irresistable about the tone of his voice. He could be singing about bog-roll and it'd still be pure poetry as far as my ears are concerned.
Old 01-29-2003, 08:55 PM
I took the Gainsbourg track cause I havent' heard him or the song before..

You're lucky I speak french, ma gamine. It'd be interesting to see this performed live. Wouldn't be too difficult: I'm assuming the band leader is the one playing the trebel-y guitar part. Heh, he'd be ordering around a cast of girls dressed in giant cardboard exclamation marks and the horn section in some sort of bizarre hats.. Neat song, BadCoverVersion. thankey!

ahhh, you've got me in a niiice moood.

New track:

Miss Annabell Lee by Django Reinhardt. sweeeet jazz, about a beauuutiful lady. Sporting one of THE most memorable violin solos by Stephane Grapelli..
Old 01-29-2003, 08:58 PM
Tag
Old 01-29-2003, 09:03 PM
A happy little song.

Totally not what I was expecting. Its upbeat, fun, and theres talent aplenty floating around this song. I love little jam sessions like this song. I was bobbing my head the entire time and swaying around... could not control my urge to dance to the music. Thanks Romero I needed that, It was a breath of fresh air.

One more then I have to hit the road. Now you are either going to like this song or despise it. Just a warning this is Nick Cave covering Leanord cohen like only he can.

Tower of Song

Nick Cave

Please don't kill me if you hate it
Old 01-29-2003, 09:05 PM
*TAG*

I'm glad you liked Anabell. She's one crazy gal...
Old 01-29-2003, 09:20 PM
Tower Of Song. Nick Cave.

I think I got a live version, but it seemed that they were playing around a little too much.. He's always about the theatrics, etc, but there were like TWELVE time changes in this one. Sometime it even clashes with that whole zombie-elvis posturing that cave seems to enjoy so much..

A few seagues that felt a little awkward, you could even feel the band trying to compensate, but it worked out Well.. Nick stays up on top of everything. "27 angels from the Crypt..." I LOVE what they did there.. they sort of build you up with a niice drum set, then an abrupt STOP.. Great theatrics. I'd KILL to see this guy live..

A different cover.. With stuff like Leonard Cohen, there's NO end to the possibilities.. this one was neat.

thanks Bowie..!

new pick? suuure..!

Ray Charles-Them That Got
Old 01-29-2003, 09:23 PM
*TAG*
Old 01-29-2003, 10:01 PM

Oooooh you can't really go wrong with this rambunctious jazzy soul lark. It's very pleasant on the ears...and I can't help but play the band-leader when I hear trumpets and sax's and the like. Charles has got a great voice, nothing spectacular but there's depth there. The lyrics are great, just what I expected...the ol' "rich get richer" narrative and talk of fancy threads and flashy motorcars and dodging the debt-collectors. I do love the part where he goes off on a bit of a tangent at the end...hamburgers, hot-dog's and cups of coffee are mentioned. I feel inclined to dive into the kitchen and whip something up for the poor sod...

Well, I like it...great stuff!!! Thanks for that Romero...

Right, I may as well stick with one I mentioned earlier...

Song - Walk like a Panther

Artist - The All Seeing I
Old 01-30-2003, 12:36 AM
Tag
Old 01-30-2003, 12:51 AM
Charisma

Thats what this singer has. The song is funny yet strangely serious at the same time. I could totally see this guy strutting around on stage wearing shiny sunglasses singing this song to the ladies. I really liked this one. It cheered me up after seeing that godawfull piece of movie trash which is Chicago. Thanks BCV.

new song:

Is that all there is?

PJ harvey

Last edited by bowieee; 01-30-2003 at 01:03 AM..
Old 01-30-2003, 01:20 AM
Tag

It's gonna have to wait until I get home from work.

If anyone gets impatient feel free to stearl.

I won't turn into Big Mr Huffybaws.
Old 01-30-2003, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Charisma

Thats what this singer has. The song is funny yet strangely serious at the same time. I could totally see this guy strutting around on stage wearing shiny sunglasses singing this song to the ladies. I really liked this one. It cheered me up after seeing that godawfull piece of movie trash which is Chicago. Thanks BCV
Glad you liked Bowieee...Tony Christie has bags of CHARISMA, just listen to "Is this the way to Amarillo" the greatest karaoke track EVER!!! Anything Christie touches is GOLD in my book, just a great man to croon along with.

I feel for you, I REALLY do. I saw Chicago on Sunday, What the fuck!? I sincerely hope this pile of overrated pish doesn't clear up at the Oscars...particularly after the Moulin Rouge fiasco (not even a bloody nomination for Luhrmann), it'd be a downright travesty. Zellweger had the figure of a 10 year old lad and the sex-appeal of a wet flannel...and the whole show-tune feel to the movie turned my fucking stomach. I didn't quite expect MUSICAL musical!

Never mind...I'm sure I'll recover, eventually.

PS: I can't *tag* at the mo'...I'm in work.
Old 01-30-2003, 09:15 AM
Being the impatient and bored lass I am, I'm stealing this tag from Psychocandy...sorry! Don't hold it against me

tag.
Old 01-30-2003, 09:20 AM
Is that all there is?-PJ Harvey

Brilliant combination of circus, 50s and church music all blended together. Haunting, to say the least. Great, completely lyric-driven tune. Even the singing (although her voice is rather good) is kept to a minimum, with quiet music in the background and a lot of musical-speaking. Bowieee, you have become my official depressing music source, thank-you for suggesting such great stuff.

Ok, I need to find some more of my music, I'm running out of suggestions!

Song: Believing is Art
Artist: Spoon
Old 01-30-2003, 12:01 PM
Tag
Old 01-30-2003, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Annie Hall
Being the impatient and bored lass I am, I'm stealing this tag from Psychocandy...sorry! Don't hold it against me

tag.
Don't hold what against you?
Old 01-30-2003, 12:08 PM
I just want to say spoon is the coolest name for for a band.

With that out of the way on to the review.

The strength of this song is definetly in the guitar chords in the background. The flow they take is quite different and it made the song a fun listen for me. The lead singers voice is filled with angst and I like it. Overall a nice little song which really impressed me with the way it chose to flow.

New pick:

Sue's last ride

by the dirty three
Old 01-30-2003, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Psychocandy
Don't hold what against you?
My desperate need to elbow my way back into the game
Old 01-30-2003, 12:15 PM
Tag