Old 02-14-2003, 02:03 PM
The RULES of ATTRACTION

(WARNING: This Review Contains Some ******MINOR SPOILERS******)

THE RULES OF ATTRACTION (2002)

"The Rules Of Attraction" is a painfully realistic and truthful college film that mixes comedy, romance, and drama to create one wickedly funny and deeply tragic piece of art. I really enjoyed the characters, even if they weren't the most likable. I found myself being able to relate to each of the characters on some level which ultimately lead to me feeling sorry for them in the end, when they became what we all fear---alone.

The acting was good all around. James Van Der Beek ditches his nice guy image for a much edgier role and for the most part he succeeds, he gives a memorable performance as Sean, although I'm sure he'll still be referred to as Dawson. I'm not a big fan of Shannon Sossamon but I did enjoy her performance here, her portrayal of Lauren was very natural. Ian Somerhalder was great as Paul, he was certainly the most interesting of the three main characters. I also really enjoyed Jessica Biel as Lara, Lauren's roommate, she was really fun in her small role and had some great lines. However, one of the most memorable performances comes from Russell Sams as Richard (Dick). I thought he was hilarious and made a very memorable impression considering he only had about 10 minutes of screentime. Swoozie Kurtz and Faye Dunaway were also very fun as the mothers of Paul and Richard (Dick), they had very small roles but it was still fun seeing them and I really got a kick out of the pill popping they were doing at the dinner table.

"The Rules Of Attraction" is a film that will stick with you long after your first viewing. I know I haven't been able to forget the chilling suicide scene. It has to be the most disturbing and realistic suicide I've ever witnessed on film. It was meant to get under peoples skin and it definitely succeeds. I'm really glad it didn't get cut, it left quite an impression. In the film Lauren tells Sean "Nobody will ever know anyone," in all honesty that's true, just look at the person who commits suicide, nobody noticed them. And to further prove my theory, I didn't even notice this person, I didn't even recognize them during the suicide scene until we were shown the scenes they were in earlier, and even then I only remembered seeing them in one of those scenes. We see people everyday yet we never really "know" anyone, most of the time we don't even notice them, just like the people in the movie didn't notice the person that commits suicide, and neither did I. There's people in the backgrounds of movies yet we usually don't think about them or even notice them, just like we never think about the people in the backgrounds of our lives. I think Writer/Director Roger Avary did a brilliant job at getting this message across, it was set up perfectly and made a huge impact. Speaking of Roger Avary, he did a great job with the script and an amazing job with the directing. The film looks great and I loved the creative camera tricks, most notable being the use of reverse and the split screen meeting between Sean and Lauren. I also enjoyed the little "European Vacation" sequence, it was a trip.

This is definitely a love it or hate it film, some will "get it" and some won't, but whether or not you "get it" will determine how much you enjoy it. Personally, I loved the film and can't stop thinking about it, the more I think about it the more I love and appreciate it. One thing's for sure though, it's definitely a gutsy film and isn't afraid to tell it like it is, no matter how much it may piss some viewers off. I've heard quite a few people say it didn't have a point, but I strongly disagree. It may seem "pointless" to some, but those who can relate to it will really appreciate what it has to say.

Overall, "The Rules Of Attraction" is a very funny, extremely twisted, yet brutally honest film. There's a lot of truth to be found behind these "lost" characters, many of us share the same insecurities as them in one way or another. I really don't have many complaints about it, my main problem with it is that it started to drag a little towards the end. Other than that I found it to be an unforgettable experience and one of the best films of 2002.

Grade: 10/10 or A+ or ***** of *****

Old 02-14-2003, 03:19 PM
This isn't out yet, is it?
Old 02-14-2003, 04:21 PM
I haven't seen the movie, but if someone has read the book, can you vis-a-vis the two? Because I thought the book was total shit.
Old 02-14-2003, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SLAW
This isn't out yet, is it?
It will be Tuesday and some people who pre-ordered the DVD already have it so I don't think this thread is too early.
Old 02-15-2003, 02:15 AM
Thought it was a good movie although I had a hard time feeling sympathy for some of the characters like the girl who kills herself who we hardly got to know.

I also wasn't into the sequence with the drugdealers.
Old 02-15-2003, 08:07 AM
This movie is very boring and very gross. You can tell by the pictures posted in the first post that this movie is mostly sex. I saw this is theatres with my brother the day it came out and I was bored and I was figiting and man it was a crappy experience. My brother got the DVD yesterday becuase he loved the movie. He is in this room watching it right now and there is another sex scene coming up. This movie is very disturbing and isn't interesting at all. American Pshyco was an alright movie 7/10 but this one just blows chunks. My brother is sitting here watching the movie and is saying "this movie rocks, what the hell are you talking about?". Anyways, this movie had it's moments and didn't keep me going very long. I'll be generous and give it a 5/10 and I will end up watching this movie about 50 times until I like it. The DVD kicks ass though. Great features.
Old 02-15-2003, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Santa Clause
This movie is very boring and very gross. You can tell by the pictures posted in the first post that this movie is mostly sex. I saw this is theatres with my brother the day it came out and I was bored and I was figiting and man it was a crappy experience. My brother got the DVD yesterday becuase he loved the movie. He is in this room watching it right now and there is another sex scene coming up. This movie is very disturbing and isn't interesting at all. American Pshyco was an alright movie 7/10 but this one just blows chunks. My brother is sitting here watching the movie and is saying "this movie rocks, what the hell are you talking about?". Anyways, this movie had it's moments and didn't keep me going very long. I'll be generous and give it a 5/10 and I will end up watching this movie about 50 times until I like it. The DVD kicks ass though. Great features.

You cannot MAKE yourself like a movie, you either like it or you don't, and you seem to be very confused about it. First you gave it an 8/10 for the "acting" now you say it's a 5/10 then you say your going to watch it 50 times??!!?!? You either of extreme multiple personality disordre your your obviously trying to pretend that your not B-ball Dude......
Old 02-15-2003, 12:08 PM
I saw this in theatres, and it is an extremely crappy movie. Disgusting in every aspect from characters to their actions to the cinematography. This is barely a movie. More of an excuse to say "fuck" and show nudity. This cannot touch AMERICAN PSYCHO (9/10). Pure trash.

2/10
Old 02-15-2003, 12:09 PM
And, PorcheRacer, why are you so hell bent on responding rudely to Santa Clause's posts? It seems immature as hell, but to each his own.
Old 02-15-2003, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by dh1989
And, PorcheRacer, why are you so hell bent on responding rudely to Santa Clause's posts? It seems immature as hell, but to each his own.
It's just that his posts get under my skin and alot of the time he has very minor reasons for giving high ratings. He contradicts himself and likes movies after pointing out all the flaws. I'm very sorry, Santa if you take offense to my postings, but I don't think you do because you never respond.....
Old 02-15-2003, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PorcheRacer
You cannot MAKE yourself like a movie, you either like it or you don't, and you seem to be very confused about it. First you gave it an 8/10 for the "acting" now you say it's a 5/10 then you say your going to watch it 50 times??!!?!? You either of extreme multiple personality disordre your your obviously trying to pretend that your not B-ball Dude......
I agree!

Santa Clause,
Why did you give it an 8/10 in the first place if you thought it was so boring? Now you gave it a 5/10. Next time it will probably either be a 2/10 or a 7/10, then maybe a 10/10. Not to be rude or anything, but you really should just make up your mind on it, give it a rating, and stick with it. You should also give some good reasons to why you didn't like it and say what you did and didn't like about it. You don't have to, but it's just a suggestion and it would help other people see where you're coming from. And it wasn't just an excuse to show sex and say "fuck," it was definitely more than that. I just got done reading the book which I found excellent. Both the book and movie are simply wonderful. If it really was pointless like some of you guys say, then I wouldn't have liked it so much. Obviously some people are able to relate to it and the characters in one way or another. I found it to be truthful while also being a BLAST! I've seen a ton of movies that were just sex and were pointless (like that horrible Body Shots), but The Rules Of Attraction isn't one of them, at least to me it isn't. If you didn't like it that's fine, you'll either love it or hate it, but at least stick with a rating and say what you liked and didn't like about it.

Quote:
Actually, I don't think it's very immature at all, he just asked Santa Clause a question, and it's a question that more than just PorcheRacer is curious about. He didn't really ask him in a rude way either, he didn't call him names or anything, so I don't see what the big deal is and why you're being so defensive.
Old 02-15-2003, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike
Actually, I don't think it's very immature at all, he just asked Santa Clause a question, and it's a question that more than just PorcheRacer is curious about. He didn't really ask him in a rude way either, he didn't call him names or anything, so I don't see what the big deal is and why you're being so defensive.
Yeah, you're right Mike, saying someone either has multiple personality disorder or they are a banned schmoe is VERY kind. What was I thinking? I know Santa Clause does not respond, but I think he gets treated poorly sometimes on this board by certain people....
Old 02-15-2003, 03:01 PM
The Rules Of Attraction

This movie was most definitely a wild ride. It is the kind of movie I enjoy. One which doesn't hold back, has interesting characters, quotable dialogue and plenty of memorable scenes. Sean Bateman was the best of the bunch, the younger brother of Patrick of American Psycho fame. I loved watching his mind at work and some of the stuff he came up with cracked me up.

Most complaints I've heard about ROA is that there are no sympathetic characters and everyone is so mean-spirited and hateful. So what? Aren't there people like that in real life? Infact, I'd say, based on people I know.. that some of the characters were very realistic and three-dimensional. The film took risks and pulled it off extremely well. One scene in a bathtub was poignant and beautiful and very depressing. I'll never forget that.

Like so many have said before, its a love or hate movie much like American Psycho. I loved both but this one more. Its my third favorite movie of 2002 and as soon as this DVD is out near here, I'm watching it again.

Rating : 9/10
Old 02-15-2003, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Yeah, you're right Mike, saying someone either has multiple personality disorder or they are a banned schmoe is VERY kind. What was I thinking? I know Santa Clause does not respond, but I think he gets treated poorly sometimes on this board by certain people....
Well, all signs do point to him being that banned schmoe (B-ball dude). It would be very unlikely if he wasn't.
Old 02-15-2003, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike
Well, all signs do point to him being that banned schmoe (B-ball dude). It would be very unlikely if he wasn't.
Wait, wasn't I Santa Clause a few weeks ago, due to someone's detective work? Now he's B-Ball Dude, according to the "signs". Santa Clause is obviously a wonderful shape-shifter! I hope Mr. Clause is getting a good laugh out of this like me.

Last edited by dh1989; 02-15-2003 at 04:20 PM..
Old 02-15-2003, 04:17 PM
Re: The Rules Of Attraction

Quote:
Originally posted by BakeTheMooCow

Like so many have said before, its a love or hate movie much like American Psycho. I loved both but this one more.

Rating : 9/10

Actually, I neither loved it nor hate it. I think it is a good movie not a great one. But it is a WHOLE LOT BETTER than the pretentious, one-note, deadly boring and utterly redundant piece of crap that was American Psycho. Ofcoarse this Bateman is infanantly more interesting of a character than the Psycho's Bateman. The performances are a lot better and the movie is interesting and entertaining. My biggest complaint about this movie is Director Roger Avery's overly stylized direction such as the overuse of everything going backwards when it was done telling each of the three major character's story. The first time was ok and kinda neat but I kept getting impatient the other two times. Although there is one BRILLIANT scene where there's the split screen showing James Vander Beek's character and Shannyn Sossamon's character going to their class until they bump into each other and meet. Also a negative and I know a lot of people love this scene but I could have lived without the montage scene where the one guy says what happened to him Europe. In my opinion it was not a necessary scene and just puts the movie to a grinding halt. Those flaws aside I thought it was an interesting movie.

7/10
Old 02-15-2003, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Wait, wasn't I Santa Clause a few weeks ago, due to someone's detective work? Now he's B-Ball Dude, according to the "signs". Santa Clause is obviously a wonderful shape-shifter! I hope Mr. Clause is getting a good laugh out of this like me.
What are you talking about?
Old 02-15-2003, 06:20 PM
Mike's message and your treatment of Santa Clause. And when flowrchild(I believe) said I re-joined as Santa Clause, and Mike said "good detective work".
Old 02-15-2003, 09:03 PM

Quote:
That was just a little theory, but after I saw that Santa Clause had already seen Halloween: Resurrection and you hadn't I knew it wasn't true. But all signs do point to him being B-ball dude. They like the exact same movies, rate movies the same way, and both spell hilarious the same way (HALARIOUS). There's just too many similarities. You and Santa Clause didn't have as many similarities, so I knew it wasn't true. Besides, B-ball dude tried to come back as Hockey dude once he was banned, but then he was found out and got banned again, then Santa Clause showed up. It just seems a little fishy that's all. Anyway, can we please get back on subject here and discuss the movie ...
Old 02-15-2003, 10:24 PM

Guys keep can we keep to Rules of Attraction in this thread?

And read these again:

http://www.joblo.com/forums/announce...?s=&forumid=19

Some of you have been on this board long enough to know what's cool and what isn't.

Let's leave the "soap opera" subplots for the e-mails, not the boards.

Thanks

Arrow
Old 02-16-2003, 11:14 PM
This movie could have been good but it's hard to beat such a wonderful book. It was too short, had a lack of character development and underplayed a lot of the relationships between the three main characters. Also, the ending was so blah to me that I felt like there no closure. A big disappointment. 6/10

PS: READ the book! 100x better.
Old 02-18-2003, 12:27 AM
The Rules of Attraction(2002)-8/10

The Rules of Attraction is a darkly, cynical ride through young adulthood taken to extreme excess! Sex, drugs and rock n roll say it all and add a bit of the ole' ultra violence if you know what I mean. Roger Avery has created a wild, absurd, in your face depiction of the young crowd filled with up and coming (some have aready arrived) young actors and actresses. The film is certainly not going to be for everyone...the characters are despicable, there seems to be little story and the film may or may not contain a point (the point is there are no rules)...and some will see it as an exercise in style and excess with Avery's camera-work and dialogue. I am not one of those people but to those who do (likely middle-aged to older viewers) lets give some credit where it is due. We are all tired of the "teen set" starring in sappy, unfunny, gross out comedies that end happily at the prom. At least this film is daring, challenging and makes you think. These are the type of films I would like to see young actors go for. I completely admire that an effort has been made to raise the anti...oh and if most of those "older" viewers say well it really isn't realistic...look again I've lived it and seen it...the truth is not far off. Besides all that James Van Der Beek is viciously cynical as Sean is his treatment of women, drugs, money etc. on what seems like a permanent party nightmare at college...where he fucks women at a whim in usually drug-induced hazes until he meets Lauren played by the wiley Shannon Sossamon who he thinks has a crush on her. The film doesn't really follow a straight forward timeline as we generally move from party to party...this episodic nature feels like that time in college...days are a blur weeks come and go...you'll forget what you did last nght and remember every detail about something that happened a month ago. I also loved the montage of Kip Pardue's vacation to Europe...it is hilarious, brilliantly done and one of the best parts of the film. Overall The Rules of Attraction by Roger Avery is highly stylized, ultra-cynical dizzying trip into the excess of college kids that looks at sex, drugs, rock n roll, suicide and violence in a brutally depressing and beautiful way.

#16 on my top Films of 2002...a solid place in my honorable mentions.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:48 AM
What a wonderful film! I bought this DVD blindly and I gave it a 9.5/10
Old 02-21-2003, 02:42 PM
I loved this movie, absolutely a 10/10
Old 02-21-2003, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bob
I haven't seen the movie, but if someone has read the book, can you vis-a-vis the two? Because I thought the book was total shit.
This is a VERY good adaptation of the book (which I loved). If you hated the book, don't even waste your time (or money) and just go and rent One Hour Photo. I loved the book, loved the film and can't wait to get this DVD.
Old 02-22-2003, 09:47 PM
Disappointing...

I decided to watch THE RULES OF ATTRACTION instead of THE GOOD GIRL, it was a big mistake. I'm one of the few who actually loathed this movie. My biggest problem was that the characters were so unlikeable, you had no one you could really relate with, unless you're a heartless monster. I felt it was trying too hard to be controversial and sick at times and that got on my nerves. My other main problem with the movie was that it was really pointless and for most of the time very boring. I guess I missed the "message" to this "movie".

3 or 4/10
Old 03-01-2003, 01:25 PM
My older brother bought this movie a couple Tuesday's ago and I watched it and laughed my ass off. I don't know if it's suppost to be funny but it was. Last when I came home from Old School my sister went to her friends house, my parents were out and me, my little bro, my older bro and my little sister were home and I popped this in my DVD player and after my little brother and sister went to be they woke up and walked down stairs. They were like "we can't get to sleep" (probably because we are going on a trip very soon) so me and my older bro let them watch it and through the whole damn movie they were like "what are they doing"? and "what was that"?. I laughed so many times but we made them swear they wouldn't tell our parents that we let them watch it. I can't believe they acually saw it. Now one of them will go to nursery school and say "hey teacher, I saw The Rules of Attraction."

Ok, I really like this movie even though I'm 14 and I really don't enjoy sexual movies but this was funny and entertaining. 9/10
Old 03-01-2003, 01:49 PM
My Review

Rating: 9

[color=violet]James Van Der Beek.....Sean Bateman
Shannyn Sossamon........Lauren Hynde
Ian Somerhalder............Paul Denton
Kip Pardue....................Victor Johnson
Jessica Biel....................Lara

Directed by: Roger Avary

Review:

The Rules Of Attraction is just as “PLAYBOY” calls it “Smart, sexy, funny and provocative!”. Well this movie was just released February 18, 2003. So, I bought it on friday, obviously because Ian Somerhalder is in it and ive been wanting to see the film since it never got released to theaters here in Puerto Rico and is so sad. This film has become my #1 favorite right now, i’m not surprised because i always knew that i was going to like it since it is my type of film. Anything with Sex, Drugs and Rock & Roll is 4 me! The movie is so enjoyable but i was expecting a lot more of sex, nudity & queer stuff. This is a movie that i hardly recommend to everyone and no this isn’t one of those stupid teen movies starting Freddie Prinze Jr. This isn’t a teen movie either. This movies shows how the college life is for some people.

Some Comments:

-Even though the beautiful Ian Somerhalder (Paul) is the third main character i didn’t felt so much pleased because i wanted to see more of him than James Van Der Beek character “Sean”. Since I’m a big fan of Ian Somerhalder and i can’t wait to see him in more movies because he is gorgeous and has so much talent to give. Hes the best thing from the movie.

- There aren’t to many gay references as i thought there would be, because a friend told me that the book has more stuff like a sex scene between “Paul” & “Sean” which this definetely didn’t happened in the film, but i wish it did.

- I never thought that someone from “7th Heaven” would do such a Wild Flick like this, i say that because of Jessica Biel she is funny and such a cunt in this flick!

- I noticed by seeing the trailer that a lot of scenes were cut and there are no deleted scenes on the DVD damn it, i hate Lions Gate DVD’s.

- This is one of those movies that i don’t want them to end since it is so good.

- The best part and definetely my favorite scene is when “Paul” and the hilarious “Dick” are dancing on the bed singing along to the song “Faith”.

This scenes don’t appear in the movie

Acting: Since there are to many characters thats why some of them barely appear. The Main people in the film are : James Van Der Beek, Shannyn Sossamon, Ian Somerhalder & Jessica Biel. They are so good in the film they give a great acting and that Shannyn girl is really getting around. Ian is just great playing a bisexual . James is just really cool and shows us that he can do better things than just being “Dawson’s Greek”.

Nudity: I was expecting to see a lot of nudity. Still it has women showing their boobs,ass & pussy and Kip Pardue (Victor) goes totally naked showing butt & cock!!! Woo Hoo! I just can’t get enough!

Soundtrack: i like a lot of the songs that get played during the movie, i especially love the song that gets played during the credits which is called “Stop”. I’m really considering on buying the soundtrack since i heard is good.

Afterall:
It was definetely worth the $20 that i bought “TROA” for. As it is my favorite movie, i recommend you to go and buy this film right away!

Last edited by SwimFan87; 03-01-2003 at 02:03 PM..
Old 03-01-2003, 03:17 PM
i thought this movie was good, but not nearly as good as i thought it was gonna be. with this story being about the brother of pat bateman, i thought it would be more like american psycho, but it wan't nearly as good. 7/10 for me.
Old 03-01-2003, 03:35 PM
Again...

Read the book! Much much much better!
Old 03-02-2003, 07:19 PM
The Rules of Attraction is a dark,funny,violent, and sexually in all kinds of ways the formula used to film this movie is original taking the backward method as used in Memetno to create one of the most fascinating movies of 2002! This movie ranks along side Less Than Zero! great movie 10/10
Old 03-08-2003, 12:43 PM
I just saw this movie last night. I liked it, but I was a little disappointed. I never read the book, but the ending was confusing and left you hanging, and the backwards thing got old after a while. But the acting was good and the plot was entertaining. I really liked James Van Der Beek and Shannyn Sossamon. Jessica Biel was funny as the bitch, which is a real depart from her Christian daughter image from "7th Heaven." Ian Somerhalder got on my nerves after a while, but he was OK. I was kind of mad because due to the video box and the credits I expected Kate Bosworth, Kip Pardue, and Jessica Biel to be in it more. Oh well, I give it a 6.5/10
Old 03-09-2003, 01:53 PM

Saw it again this weekend. What can I say.. I'm obsessed
I think I'm going to change my rating from 9/10 to a perfect 10. It deserves it.
Old 03-26-2003, 10:29 PM
Pretentious, over-stylized, shallow, piece of garbage. I've never had to use the word 'pretentious' to describe a film before, but this movie solved that problem. I went into this film wanting to like it so much, and came out very dissapointed. Every single character in this film was unlikable, they were all shallow, spoiled, rich kids who cared about nothing more than themselves. I know that everybody will say that 'I didn't get it'. Well, if this is the film that I have to watch to 'get' whatever it's trying to convey then I don't want to get it. All I got from this movie was that apparently college kids are worthless drunk pieces of garbage, who care about nothing more than getting stoned and laid, which may be true for some, but I doubt is true for every single student at a school as this movie claims. The direction was over-stylized into oblivion. The whole first sequence and reverse motion was completely useless and only there to make it look cool, it was consequently annoying though. But, on the bright side, the soundtrack I really liked. This was actually the only thing that I did like. So because I did like the soundtrackI give this pile of crap a 2/10.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:53 AM
I expected an "American Pie on acid," and I got an "American Pie on acid." But somehow, through the insidious tone, backwards camerawork, sex addicts, suicidals, and crazed college students named "Dick," I was ultimately a bit disappointed, not because my expectations were unrealistically high, but the series of vignettes didn't gel.... The film starts out at a party, aptly subtitled, "The End of the World Party" (and uses titles like these at every party we arrive at, most of them are pretty funny like, “The Dress to get Laid Party”), follows three different chain of events of three different characters, using backwards camerawork to rewind and tell each story one at a time, done brilliantly, but that is just one section of the film. Nearing the end, that is all Roger Avary's opus is really good in: sections. The editing moved the film, the actors acted, the camerawork messed with our heads, but effectively only... sometimes.

This comes after Fight Club and goes for mostly the same audience, but the idea and purpose wasn't as clear to me here; the narrative is somewhat messy. And reminds me much of Pulp Fiction, except “Pulp” is more focused… funny thing how Avary had his hand in both films, co-writing Tarantino’s flick, and doing the combo: writing and directing for this film (and cast Eric Stoltz too, ugh!). The characters never really became characters, and stayed more like sketches to me, reflecting the shallow persona’s of those out-of-control college kids, and, as Bateman says in the film, “Nobody will ever know anyone.”--that’s a bit of self-parody if I ever heard it. It was a pleasure to see some of the actors really taking some risks, mostly Van Der Beek, who gives his all, attempting to tarnish his nice guy (Dawson) image and he mostly succeeds, doing almost everything from masturbation and watching porn, to being part of a guy’s gay fantasy. Jessica Biel, who is absent from most of the film, plays the “bad” girl, entirely opposite from her work in that show “7th Heaven”, I didn’t like the character, but she did a decent job in a small role. Russell Sams plays my favorite character, Richard, “NO! IT’S DICK!” He stole every scene he was in, even if it was for about a brief 10 minutes of screen time; had me dying of laughter.

Avary directs the film with pure style, and defying my original perception, he doesn’t overdo the backwards visual trick, uses it sparsely, mostly in the beginning. To fill other scenes, he adds in narration from the characters, which is quite funny at times, giving us the subtext of what they’re really thinking. Also, there’s a neat split screen shot following two characters, and one of the coolest endings I’ve seen in a while. Although it was abrupt and pretentious, it fit the satirical mood, rebellious to the other films it “satirizes”. I imagine much of the older crowd (those that’ve seen it) hates this film… “Exploitive; trashy…” might have slipped past their lips to describe it. It is a pretty “trashy,” movie, but good trash I think. Full of great, and not so good sequences, interesting and pointless, but overall, the film entertained me, and at times, shocked me if being somewhat unfocused at times, the first words to escape my mouth when it had ended were: “This is F@*#ed -up,” and trust me, it is.

(7/10)

Last edited by Fergus; 04-15-2003 at 12:57 AM..
Old 04-16-2003, 01:30 AM
This was one of my favourite movie from last year. It was definetly in my top 5. It's beautifully shot as well as having an emotional depth to it I haven't seen for awhile. Sure most of the characters are shallow but the way they are portrayed shows whats ticking behind their desperate attempts to stabalize themselves and find love. I can't sing enough praise for this one.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:49 AM
This isn't fair! I have tried to see TROA at the cinema but got turned away (Its an 18 certificate). I may be slightly younger than 18 but I have read the book (I loved it) and I think that if I'm mature enough to read the book then I'm mature enough to watch the movie but the cinema staff seem to think differently.
Old 04-20-2003, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by scottish-movie-freak
This isn't fair! I have tried to see TROA at the cinema but got turned away (Its an 18 certificate). I may be slightly younger than 18 but I have read the book (I loved it) and I think that if I'm mature enough to read the book then I'm mature enough to watch the movie but the cinema staff seem to think differently.
Them bloody bastards... I guess you'll just have to sneak in or something...
Old 04-20-2003, 11:59 AM
I somehow managed to watch the movie from the internet.The problem was that there was no image, I could only hear the movie.And I still laughed a lot, so now I´m totally obsessed about this movie and can´t wait to buy it.

Hey, If I liked it without watching it...
Old 04-22-2003, 12:47 AM
jeez, i musta watched this film like 10 times since i bought it the day it came out. it continues to impress me, it is the best film of last year in my opinion and the carrot top commentary never fails to amuse. right now im listening to the soundtrack, the COMPLETE soundtrack i made for me and some others because the original leaves so much good stuff off, right now im re-reading the book. i hope this film manages to become a cult hit.

10/10