Old 02-10-2003, 10:01 AM
Queen Latifah - Yay or Nay?

Simply answer.

Yay from me, she just charms me for some reason. Plus, she ain't a bad lookin' lady either.

Last edited by Hannibal21; 02-10-2003 at 07:42 PM..
Old 02-10-2003, 10:30 AM
Yay from me. She seems like a very strong intelligent woman with a sharp sassy attitude.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:22 AM

Yay, because alongside John C., she made Chicago pretty bloody bearable!!!

A pleasant surprise from a big beautiful lady.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:25 AM
Not attractive, mind you, but she's always pleasant. I've enjoyed what limited things I've seen from her.
Old 02-10-2003, 12:56 PM
Yay from me. I think with the right roles, she could be a very excellent actress. I'd love to see her handle a very dramatic role.
Old 02-10-2003, 01:32 PM
Yay...although her song in Chicago scared me a bit.

She has a pretty face.

And even though she was pretty screwed up, she's admitted it, and is trying to move on. Good for her.

...that number in Chicago is still scary.
Old 02-10-2003, 04:26 PM
Well Queen Latifah is no Tyra Banks but I like her movie roles shes done recently like Chicago so thats a definte YAY from me.
Old 02-10-2003, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Annie Hall
Yay...although her song in Chicago scared me a bit.

...that number in Chicago is still scary.
I liked Queen Latifah's vocals more than the actress on 1996 Broadway Version.....
Old 02-10-2003, 04:53 PM
She gets a YAY from me. Although I'm pretty indifferent to Chicago, she made it interesting, and came off as very likeable, a hard task as she was amongst a group of asshole characters. She's not a HOT woman, but she's pleasant enough and is a better actress than the younger singer-turned-"actresses."
Old 02-10-2003, 04:55 PM
I'd hit....wait, what was I thinking. Too fat.
Old 02-10-2003, 05:41 PM

Yay!

I'm a big "Latifah" fan. She has consistently given great performances in all of the films she has been involved with, a huge feat for a singer turned actress. She is naturally talented, definetly one of the hottest busty women in Hollywood, and she is finally getting critcal acclaim for her acting.

I hope she gets an Oscar nod come tommorow morning. She's fantastic.
Old 02-10-2003, 05:56 PM
Very talented, very cool. I like her mucho.

For those of you who never saw it much, her 90's sitcom Living Single was very funny and quite warm, in a non-treacly way. Reruns are on the USA Network at various difficult-to-see times. Worth a look.
Old 02-10-2003, 07:35 PM
Yeah, Buck, Living Single was great. And she gets a YAY from me, as well. Cool lady.
Old 02-10-2003, 07:45 PM
Yay! Yay! Yay! She's got gobs of talent and she single-handedly made Living Out Loud remotely palatable with her incredibly beautiful voice. Listen to her cover of Lush Life from that movie and hear the voices of angels (angels can be torch singers too, you know).
Old 02-10-2003, 07:49 PM
yay. i loved her in chicago, and her new movie "bringin down the house" looks hilarious.
Old 02-11-2003, 01:41 AM
Yay!

We share our first names..
Old 02-11-2003, 12:18 PM
In case anyone is unaware, Latifah was nominated for an Oscar.

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Kathy Bates
Julianne Moore
Queen Latifah
Meryl Streep
Catherine Zeta-Jones
Old 02-11-2003, 12:23 PM
I say YAY!, and congratulate her on her well-deserved Oscar nomination. She impressed me immensely in Chicago, proving herself a dynamic, intelligent, and different screen presence. Although I'll be rooting for her castmate Catherine Zeta-Jones to win the Oscar, I'm glad she's been nominated.
Old 02-11-2003, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dietrich
Yay!

We share our first names..
What's that? Queen?
Old 02-11-2003, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nate6
I say YAY!, and congratulate her on her well-deserved Oscar nomination. She impressed me immensely in Chicago, proving herself a dynamic, intelligent, and different screen presence. Although I'll be rooting for her castmate Catherine Zeta-Jones to win the Oscar, I'm glad she's been nominated.
Agreed. It's a YAY! from the Logan man too.
Old 02-11-2003, 04:34 PM
As an actress: YAY!

Attractiveness: NAY!
Old 02-12-2003, 04:16 AM
Acting: YAY!

Attractive: YAY!

Thin is not a necessary trait of attractive. The great thing about Chicago is: ALL the women are portrayed as the sexy individuals they are...not just size 8 and under women!

And that song doesn't scare me at all, I love the soundtrack - and her song is funny & suggestive.
Old 02-12-2003, 05:19 PM
A Giant NAY from me. She pisses the hell out of me.
Old 02-12-2003, 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by happy OUT here
Thin is not a necessary trait of attractive.
If you'll notice, I said nothing about her weight or size in my post. I merely said she was not attractive, to me. I've nothing against a healthy woman, she's just not good looking. Lots of charisma, though.
Old 02-12-2003, 05:31 PM
Yay for acting and attractiveness from me. She's held her own in pictures (I've yet to see CHICAGO, but she was terrific in LIVING OUT LOUD), as well as being a great-looking woman with some brains behind her beauty.
Old 02-12-2003, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Grebdron
If you'll notice, I said nothing about her weight or size in my post. I merely said she was not attractive, to me. I've nothing against a healthy woman, she's just not good looking. Lots of charisma, though.

Yeah. That's what I meant.
Old 02-13-2003, 01:28 AM
Ah well, I like fat back women with big tits and I consider Lisa Nicole Carson as mega-hot, but Queen Latifah doesn't do it for me, probably because of all her tough rap-singing. Still, she's a pretty decent performer. So, nay and yay.
Old 02-13-2003, 08:02 AM

Although I love Queen Latifah as an actress and a singer (crooner, not rapper), I thought that her role in CHICAGO (the theatrical version, not the revamped DVD version) was too small to garner her a justified Oscar nomination. She was maybe in five or six scenes (much like co-nominee Kathy Bates from ABOUT SCHMIDT, another actress that I love, but don't agree with the nomination).

There were three other actresses out there who were snubbed so that these glorified cameos could reap the rewards of their respective films' multiple nods.

If I was an Academy voter, I would have considered: Susan Sarandon in either IGBY GOES DOWN or MOONLIGHT MILE, Ellen Pompeo in MOONLIGHT MILE, and Amanda Peet in IGBY GOES DOWN or CHANGING LANES.