Old 02-21-2003, 11:19 AM
Fight Club

Ok, I looked through the pages, and I do not believe (surprisingly) there has been a thread on this book by itself. Most of you guys have seen the movie, and I believe a good number of you have read the book. What are your thoughts? Do you think it was adapted well to film? What do you think of the differences from the movie throughout the book? Do you like the style?

Discuss.
Old 02-21-2003, 12:28 PM
Well, what I think about the film is that it did a good job in organizing all the ideas that Pahlaniuk presented in his book.

The films a little more coherent and linear, in that it took the ideas that where spread around in the book and organized them in a good way, I guess to make it easy for a movie going audience to understand. I think they did a good job at that.

The book itself is excellent and a slightly different experience then the movie. I say slightly cause most of the of the things made it to the movie. Expect for the ending of course.

Why are movie makers afraid to do sad endings? It seems to me, not every movie can have a "happilly ever after" type of ending. Oh hell. This wouldnt upset me so, if the ending in the movie wasnt so good of course, those credit card buildings falling were a delight to see.

The books darker and edgier (if such a thing is possible). For example that line where Marla says: "I want to have your abortion" was great, and one of the lines from the book that shocked me and many people Im sure, but in the movie it was changed to: "I havent had sex like this since grade school, or something to that effect.

Oh hell the books excellent but to me, its in second place to Survivor wich in my humble opinion is a far better read.

Spacemonkey outta here...
Old 02-22-2003, 07:03 PM
I think the adaptation was pretty good. It was fairly true to the source material, and the scenes they left out (Tyler on the beach for example) wouldn't really have worked well in the film IMO.

It's a great book, probably my favourite of Chuck's, and I love all his books.

Quote:
The books darker and edgier (if such a thing is possible). For example that line where Marla says: "I want to have your abortion" was great, and one of the lines from the book that shocked me and many people Im sure, but in the movie it was changed to: "I havent had sex like this since grade school, or something to that effect.
I think Brad Pitt said on the commentary (not listened to it in a while) that he requested the line was changed in the movie because his mother would be watching it

I'd love to see Fincher tackle Survivor, too, although it doesn't seem at all likely

Last edited by Mick; 02-22-2003 at 07:06 PM..
Old 02-23-2003, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mick
I think Brad Pitt said on the commentary (not listened to it in a while) that he requested the line was changed in the movie because his mother would be watching it
I actually thought in the context of the movie "My God, I haven't been fucked like that since grade school" worked a bit better. The abortion line really fit the book, while it wouldn't have been as surprising in the movie.

I guess the movie was just so caught up in its own world, that you could almost accept anything by the time that line came up. The book doesn't fully let you understand things, so you have to stay seperated, which is why it's more shocking. If that makes sense
Old 02-23-2003, 02:56 PM
I like the book. I own the book (and Choke, Survivor and Invisible Monsters). But I can't help but feel it Palahniuk is in dire need of a better editor.

Some of it does not read well -- admittedly not in Fight Club.

What the hell. I haven't written a book yet, so who am I to complain?
Old 02-24-2003, 09:11 AM
sam mendes was a one time gonan direct survivor which wouldve worked great.
Old 02-24-2003, 09:56 AM
Also, I thought that many people who were offended by Fight Club (Yes, intelligent people did get offended, oddly enough) would appreciate the end of the book more than the movie. I think it was more apologetic of what Fight Club had caused, even if the book itself was more "icky" in many parts than the movie.
Old 02-24-2003, 03:59 PM
Hey Annie you asked about the style, well yeah, I like his style. I especially enjoy how everytime a chapter starts out you feel kinda lost, yet little by little you start seeing that it all makes perfect sense. He does this even more so in Survivor.

You start a chapter and your like what the fucks happening here? But if you read on it all makes sense I loved that.

And about the ending yeah, the books ending went more with the story. I agree. Plus in the movie, they make it look like everythings gonna be allright...yet it aint, theres like thousands of Spacemonkeys still waiting for him downstairs and how the hell was he gonna escape them? And the whole Fight Club movement how the hell would he escape that huh? A plot whole if you ask me in an other wise perfect film.

Yet in the book, this problem is resolved with the original ending wich I wont spoil for the ones who havent read it.

PS. I did really like that scene in the beach where tyler stands in the shadow of the hand, at the nude beach, it was very symbolic and very appropriate for the story but as was mentioned before, wouldnt have worked in the film with its dark and dirty look.

Spacemonkey out.

Last edited by spacemonkey; 02-24-2003 at 04:08 PM..
Old 02-24-2003, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by spacemonkey
Hey Annie you asked about the style, well yeah, I like his style. I especially enjoy how everytime a chapter starts out you feel kinda lost, yet little by little you start seeing that it all makes perfect sense. He does this even more so in Survivor.

You start a chapter and your like what the fucks happening here? But if you read on it all makes sense I loved that.
Good point, El Duderino; the style is unlike most stuff out there. It's pretty basic stream of thought, but it convey's the story pretty clearly for it's style.

Greatness on a page

Anyone else read this book?
Old 02-25-2003, 04:09 PM
I loved the book, but I have to say I liked the movie better if thats even possible. Even Palahnuik said that after watching the movie he almost felt ashamed of the book. I think I read that in the insert of the SE DVD of Fight CLub, but it also might have been in another interview somewhere. And I for one like the fucked in grade school line a lot more than the abortion one. It's just funnier to me.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:27 PM
Im sorry but I ahve to digress for a moment.

Could somebody explain to me why the movie's ending is a happy ending. i mean yes Marla and Jack are finally on the same terms but right outside the window buildings are blowing up and the city is going to go to Hell in a handbasket. Downstairs there are tons of space monkeys who dont quite understand the situation with Jack and will probably kill Marla. On top of that Jack's cheek is blown off.

I know on the outside its a happy ending since it ends with t hem holding hands but this is a temporary happiness. I think the movie's ending improves on the books ending big time but providing a fascinating dichatomy. On one hand youre happy that they a re together. On the other hadn buildings are blowing up outside.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:16 AM
hey Chinton, I guess in comparison to the ending in the book, it is a "happy" ending know what I mean?

I mentioned something about that in one of my earlier posts, the ending aint really all that happy. Thousands of over zelous Spacemonkeys are waiting for Jacks every command, and like you mentioned theres buildings blowing up outside, yet it looks like a happy ending cause Jack says to Marla in the film "You just met me in a real strange part of my life" like saying "everything will be allright". Yet it aint. Kinda ambigous sort of ending if you ask me. Happy on one side, chaotic on the other.

Last edited by spacemonkey; 02-27-2003 at 09:26 AM..
Old 02-27-2003, 11:09 PM
Quote:
[i]Originally posted by Reigh Kaufman: I own the book (and Choke, Survivor and Invisible Monsters).
Hey me too!! And I'd buy Lullaby if I could find it in paperback somewhere. Hardcovers are to damned expensive. I waited what seemed like forever before Choke was released in paperback.
Old 03-05-2003, 03:29 PM
This was a really good book. It seemed to make it's message more clearer than the movie. Also it answered my question about

SPOILER
if the narrator was supposed to have died after he shot himself.
Old 03-06-2003, 04:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Babbit
This was a really good book. It seemed to make it's message more clearer than the movie. Also it answered my question about

SPOILER
if the narrator was supposed to have died after he shot himself.
Didn't he stay alive in both the book and the movie? The only difference between the endings is that the buildings blow up in the movie, and in the book we are told of Joe's time in the nuthouse
Old 03-06-2003, 04:21 AM
What's going on here??

EDIT - That was odd. I posted the above reply, and while it showed in the thread, the thread hadn't been bumped to the top and raymond babbit (whose post was above mine) still showed as the last poster

Should I be worried?
Old 03-08-2003, 03:34 AM
Quote:
Marla says: "I want to have your abortion"
They filmed that line actually.. They show it in the DVD. It was changed eventually, obviously.
Old 03-09-2003, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by chinton
Im sorry but I ahve to digress for a moment.

Could somebody explain to me why the movie's ending is a happy ending. i mean yes Marla and Jack are finally on the same terms but right outside the window buildings are blowing up and the city is going to go to Hell in a handbasket. Downstairs there are tons of space monkeys who dont quite understand the situation with Jack and will probably kill Marla. On top of that Jack's cheek is blown off.

I think the ending in the movie was meant to be ironic, but came off as happy. Like where someone thinks it's a happy ending, but really starts to think about it and changes their opinion of what type of ending it is. Providing a false sense of security
Old 04-03-2003, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Scarface98.9
I think the ending in the movie was meant to be ironic, but came off as happy. Like where someone thinks it's a happy ending, but really starts to think about it and changes their opinion of what type of ending it is. Providing a false sense of security
The ending of the movie really was about Edward Norton's character coming to terms with the two sides of himself, and finding peace in the balance. He took what he needed from Tyler, and discarded what he didn't (including the illusory character). When he tells Marla "Everything is going to be all right", and the buildings start blowing up, he's come to an understanding of the kind of person he both needs and wants to be.

Someone else posted before wondering about how he was going to escape the "spacemonkeys". He didn't need to anymore. He took the confidence from Tyler to determine his own fate. If he wanted to, he could have just walked away from everything without regret at that point. The spacemonkeys are the ones who lack the confidence and instead turn to Operation Mayhem and Edward Norton for guidance. It's funny how so few people (not accusing anyone here) notice the irony in that Tyler/Edward Norton are espousing freeing oneself, yet the people they take in as part of Operation Mayhem are doing just the opposite.
Old 04-03-2003, 04:22 PM
****SPOILERS FOR THE ENDING****

The self-shooting scene was unbelievable. They should of made it more possible, like the partial headshot in the first Deer Hunter, or something along those lines. The muzzle flare would of destroyed the inside of his mouth.

Oh well, I still really liked the movie.

Me personally though, I DID see the irony with the spacemonkeys. I really liked that actually. Irony is cool.
Old 04-21-2003, 10:27 AM
[spoiler 4 the book]

I can't believe that some people actually thought that Jack died in the book. It is perfectly clear that he got arrested and sent to a nuthouse.
Old 04-21-2003, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bassgod
[spoiler 4 the book]

I can't believe that some people actually thought that Jack died in the book. It is perfectly clear that he got arrested and sent to a nuthouse.
I disagree. If I remember right, at the beginning of the last chapter, the narrator says he died. Also, why does everyone refer to him as Jack? They didn't mention his name in either the movie or the book. What do those poems have to do with his name?
Old 05-07-2003, 08:15 PM
I liked the movie Fight Club quite a bit, but hated Survivor and Choke, so I don't think I'll try this one.
Old 05-08-2003, 12:00 AM
***SPOILERS***

Quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Babbit
I disagree. If I remember right, at the beginning of the last chapter, the narrator says he died.
Here's the quote:

IN MY FATHER'S house are many mansions. Of course, when I pulled the trigger, I died.
Liar.
And Tyler died.
Everything in heaven is white on white.
Faker.
Everything in heaven is quiet, rubber-soled shoes.
I can sleep in heaven.
People write to me in heaven and tell me I'm remembered. That I'm their hero. I'll get better.
The angels here are the Old Testament kind, legions and lieutenants, a heavenly host who works in shifts, days, swing. Graveyard. They bring you your meals on a tray with a paper cup of meds. The Valley of the Dolls playset.
Because every once in a while, somebody brings me my lunch tray and my meds and he has a black eye or his forehead is swollen with stitches, and he says:
"We miss you Mr. Durden."
Or somebody with a broken nose pushes a mop past me and whispers:
"Everything's going according to the plan.
Whispers
"We're going to break up civilization so we can make something better out of the world."
Whispers
"We look forward to getting you back."

Nuthouse, no doubts.